The Perfect Twist

The Perfect Disguise

 

“Unnie, are you done setting up the table? We’re almost done here.” Namjoo shouted as she watched Bomi mixed the sauce for the pasta they prepared. I look over my shoulder as I set the final plate in the table. “Done!” I mentally pat myself for doing a great job as I look over the table setting for the last time.

 

“Namjoo, do you mind calling Uncle Kim over? He might be at the study room.”

 

Namjoo skipped out of the kitchen, smiling brightly. I silently watched as Bomi grabbed a spoon and took a sip of the sauce she made. “Hmmm…good.” She mumbled in satisfaction.

 

“Do you like sweets?” She called out, not removing her eyes on the food she’s making. “I made red velvet cupcakes for dessert.” She glance at me and gave out a charming eye-smile. “I don’t mind. I’m not picky when it comes to food.” I responded.

 

“Ooh…I thought you’re in some kind of a diet like every other girls in school.” She joked. “No, I’m quite satisfied with my figure.” I joked back as I walked towards the kitchen to help her out. She squinted her eyes at me, checking me out teasingly, “I somehow doubt that.” She teased before handing me the sauce she made and I jokingly glared at her in return.

 

 “Careful, it’s hot.”

 

I gently placed the sauce and the bowl of pasta in the table and Bomi beamed over with a plate of sizzling steak in her hands. She swiftly put it down on the table and rushed over the kitchen to cool down her hands with running water. I didn’t know she can be this silly. How cute!

 

I pulled a towel in one of the drawers and handed it to her, “I heard you had to finish up your senior high in a normal school before you can enter the college division of Julliard. Is that why you came back? How about your parents? I assumed they remained in the States since you’re all alone in this big house.”

 

She reached out for the towel, wiping her hands leisurely. “Well…that’s only a part of the reason why I came back. I could actually finish up my senior high in any school in the States.”

 

“But you choose to come back here?”

 

She shook her head, “No. The truth is, I was asked to return.” She moved closer to me and beckoned me to help her out of her apron. “My parents passed away a long time ago. If I were to choose, I wouldn’t have come back.” An awkward silence filled the room after that.

 

“Unnie, I’m hungry. Let’s eat.” I heard Namjoo called out finally breaking up the awkward silence. Bomi walked out of the kitchen grabbing my hand and I trailed behind her, “Arasso…we’re coming.” She called back.

 

-

-

-

-

 

“Sorry sunbae, we really don’t know why. I guess she’s still mad at us. She asked for a fifteen minutes break but when we returned, we saw this.” Subin, one of the juniors, hand over a note.

 

‘Practice is over. Please practice at home. See you tomorrow.’

 

I raised a brow, still curious as to why Naeun is nowhere to be found. She’s always prompt and punctual, plus she never cancels an appointment, not to mention a rehearsal like this.  “She got mad at you guys?” Daebak! I guess she finally erupted.

 

“Deh.” Subin nodded remorsefully. “Please pass on our apology for us. We promise to do better from now on.”

 

“Sure. But don’t worry too much. Naeun must just be stressed since the musical is closing in. Don’t misunderstand her, okay.” I tried cheering her on by giving her a pat in the back before walking out of the hall. Where on earth did Naeun go?

 

 

“Chorongie? Are you still working?” I opened the door of the student council office and found Chorong in a corner buried in a mountain of paper works. This girl is really something. I walked with light steps as I try not to disturbed the working girl. I was just about to take seat in a corner when my phone suddenly beeped. No, both of our phones beeped at the same time.  Chorong suddenly looked up and glanced at me, “Naeun texted.”

 

I saw a text from Naeun telling us not to wait for her because she’s having a dinner with Namjoo and so she might be back late.

 

“Yeah. She’s out with Namjoo again. Woah…the two are getting closer each day.”

 

I was expecting Chorong to flinch but she remained unruffled and sneered at me instead. “Do you have anything else to do?” She asked and I shook my head in response. “Great. I’m almost done here.” She said brightly. “So you can come shopping with me.”

 

I groaned and she just grinned at me. “Is that your way of asking me to go with you because you’re sad and lonely?” I teased. “Why do you need to go shopping, anyway? Don’t you have a lot of clothes? By a lot, I mean a room or two.”

 

“Yes, I do…But I’m attending a ‘charity event’ tomorrow and I’m in a good mood since I finally perfected my proposal. So we’re going shopping to buy me something to wear tomorrow.” She had this peculiar look on her and I can’t help it but to groaned again. “Who is it this time? I heard you had a heated argument with the prime minister’s daughter last time. Did your dad invite her again to infuriate you?”

 

“Unfortunately yes, I saw her in the guest list yesterday.” She cringed. “By the way, that was not a heated argument. I would never stoop at her level.” She moaned furiously.

 

“Fine, fine, we’re going shopping. Just stop your , please.” I raised my hands in defeat and she grinned at me triumphantly.

 

“Thanks, Eunji.”

 

“The things I do for you.” I sighed, but I was smiling. “Now, get you out of there and let’s go before I change my mind.”

 

 

We were at the mall that Naeun’s family owned, in thirty minutes. “You know you owe me for dragging me here.” I winked at her deviously.

 

“I’ll buy you a milk tea.”

 

“And dinner.” I wavered.

 

She rolled her eyes at me. “Done.”

 

I slung my arm around her shoulder and she quickly realized why – when I guided her straight to our favorite milk tea stall. Once I was pacified with drinks, I was quite happy to trail around after her to the shops.

 

After browsing a few stores, she finally found the perfect outfit. It was a limited edition hot pink dress, the skirt not too tight or short, and the neck low enough to be flattering without revealing anything.

 

“Do we have to go shoe shopping next?” I moaned as she announced that she’s trying it on.

 

“No, I have shoes, Eunji,” She said, rolling her eyes.

 

“Yeah, well, you have clothes too, but that didn’t stop you,” I muttered while following her to the changing room. I didn’t think twice about wandering into the cubicle with her and lying across the stool. But then again, she didn’t give a second thought about changing in front of me.

 

“Zip me up.”

 

I sighed wearily, and got to my feet to oblige. She looked in the mirror, smoothing the dress and I let out a low whistle. “Nice.”

 

“Shut up.” She looked in the mirror again and sighed. “It looked better on the hanger. It showed an awful lot of leg. Do you think it’s too short?”

 

I shrugged and smacked her teasingly, “Who cares?”

 

 She smacked me across the head playfully in reply. “I’m serious. Is it too short?”

 

Well, it is. But she looks good in it. “Hmm, maybe a little. But it looks good.”

 

“Are you sure?” She looked at me doubtfully.

 

“Yah, you think I’d lie to you?” I asked sadly, putting on a pained expression with my hands clutched over my heart and she gave me a look in the mirror. “Do you really need me to answer that, Jung Eunji?”

 

“No, I guess not.” I laughed. “So, you gonna buy that?”

 

She nodded hesitantly. “Yeah. I guess.”

 

“I guess? Why are you so hesitant?” I looked at her suspiciously, finally realizing that she’s hiding something.

 

“I’m bringing someone else at the event.” She stated warily.

 

“I knew it. You have a date. When did you have a change of heart? I thought you like Na…”

 

“It’s not a date.” She cut me off instantly. I squinted at her as she stepped out of the dress and put her clothes on. “What is it then?”

 

“I needed someone who can actually put some sense into those rich brats. Someone who’s good at intellectual debates.”

 

“Yah…you have me and…well, Naeun. You don’t think we can stand up to those *chodings?” I snorted as I pretended to be disappointed. “Fine! I understand. You needed someone you can show off.”  

 

She peered at me and I just laugh as we walked out of the cubicle.

 

“I actually owe that person a lot because of this. She was already a big help to my proposal.”

 

“Arasso. I get it. Seriously. Now go and pay before you could conveniently forget about the dinner you owe me.” I winked as I shoved her to the counter.

 

 

We had a light dinner before we left. It was almost midnight when we got back to the academy. Mr. Lee, Chorong’s driver, pulled up in the driveway close to the academy’s dorm.

 

“Thanks, Uncle Lee. We’ll walk from here.” Chorong bid goodbye to her personal driver and we started walking. Few minutes later, another car pulled up with Yoon Bomi getting out from the driver’s seat. What stop us on track was Naeun hopping out of the car with Namjoo following behind her. 

 

“Unnie, thanks for driving us back.” Namjoo said happily before giving Bomi a hug.

 

 “Thanks for the great dinner, Bomi. I really enjoyed it.” We heard Naeun speak up with a big smile on her face and Bomi smiled back at her.

 

Bomi was the first to acknowledge our presence and she smiled at us warily. Naeun looked at our direction, a bit dumbfounded. 

 

“What are you two doing out here?” Naeun called out. 

 

Chorong made her way towards them with me trailing behind. “We ate dinner outside. We just got back, as well.” I heard Chorong replied.

 

“Did you eat dinner at Namjoo’s house? With Bomi?” I asked, pointing at Bomi.

 

“No. Actually, we ate dinner at Bomi’s place. They invited me over. Namjoo’s father was also with us.” Naeun answered candidly. I watched Chorong cringed in the corner of my eyes. Oh boy!

 

“Hello, Chorong and Eunji sunbae.” Namjoo greeted innocently and we greeted her back.

 

“Wah, it’s getting late. We should head back now.” I exclaimed pulling Naeun next to me, “You got a lot of stories to tell, Naeun-ah.” I mumbled at her and she smiled at me nervously before saying her brief good night to Bomi. “Namjoo, let’s go.” She headed first with Namjoo in tow. Ooh, she does know how to slip away now.

 

Bomi glanced at me, “Good night. I’ll get going then.”

 

“Good night.” I waved at Bomi who was about to get inside her car when Chorong suddenly grabbed her by the arm to stop her, “Bomi-ah…I’ll see you tomorrow. Thanks again for agreeing to go with me.” She smiled politely at Bomi before letting go of her arm.

 

“No problem.” Bomi smiled back and headed inside. “See you tomorrow.”

 

I tugged Chorong beside me soon after Bomi’s car is out of sight.

 

“What now?” She eyed me suspiciously.

 

“So it’s Yoon Bomi huh…” I teased with a sly smile slipping over my face. She ignored me and started walking away and I trailed behind her, “So it’s a date afterall.”

-

-

-

-

A/N:In Korea, "choding" refers to "elementary school kid".When it's used for someone who isn't a kid (teenager, grown-up,...), it means that this person is childish and acts like a kid.

Finally, another update. I'm still building up their characters and so the flow of the story might be a bit slow for now. Please bear with me.:)