The Overview

The Perfect Disguise

The Overview

“Do you want something to eat?” Eunji called as she grabs a tray from the corner. “I’ll pass.” Naeun called back as we sat on OUR table located at the canteen’s small balcony. Eunji peeked through the open door leading to the small balcony, “not you, young lady.” She winked at me while Naeun rolled her eyes at her. “Lemonade please.” I winked back. “Got it!” Eunji rushed back to the food and drinks counter before Naeun can call her back. “Yah…Jung Eunji…get me something to drink as well.” Naeun called out but Eunji just looked away jokingly.

 

“How’s your musical with the juniors?” I started once we’re settled in our seats. “You looked quite busy these past days.” I teased. Naeun groaned as she leaned on her seat, “Terrible…It’s not that they . It’s just that they’re all trying to impress me that they eventually end up messing up the whole time.”

 

Eunji turned up just at that moment, holding a tray with three lemonades in it, knowing that Naeun would end up drinking ours at some point anyway. “Of course the juniors would love to show off after you openly proclaim to have a lovely dinner with the best performer. You shouldn’t have said that on the first place.”

 

“I know,” she sighed, messing up her long and dark hair and scrunching up her face, “Luckily Namjoo’s there to ease me up a little bit.” She smiled at the thought of her junior.

 

“Who?” I suddenly mumbled and I mentally kicked myself for the sudden show of emotion. Eunji just gave me a sheepish smile while Naeun looked at me, dumbfounded.

 

“Kim Namjoo…the kid from last year’s performance.” Eunji filled it up for me. I gave out a quick nod, “Oh, I remember.” I felt childish acting up like a jealous kid but I can’t help it but be curious. “She’s doing quite well this time too. I didn’t know that she can actually sing.” Naeun added, while plastered with a proud-unnie look in her face.

 

“Is she good?” It’s Eunji’s turn to ask and I just watched her as she light up at the mention of the talent that she’s trying to bury. I took a sip of my lemonade as I let them discuss the musical further. I have no interest in such anyway. It’s not that I hate dancing or singing, it’s just that I’m not fond of those either. I started grooming up my proposal instead of joining their discussion which is starting to turn into bickering.

 

“Chorong sunbae?” I looked up at the mention of my name. The two quit their bickering as well and started looking around.

 

“Yah…you don’t know her? She’s the president of our student council. Didn’t I tell you to study about our school first before transferring here?”

 

The three of us looked at each other, with smile creeping on our face. “They must be freshies…” Naeun uttered in a whisper. Eunji slowly got up from her seat and went over the corner of the balcony. She looked down at the small alley below the balcony, the spot we used to hang out at when we were freshmen. She rushed back to her seat and giggled, “Yup, two innocent freshies trying to adapt to their new environment.”

 

“Listen carefully. My unnie told me that this school has a strict social class system.”

 

I closed my eyes as I envision the freshman’s description in my mind.

 

“The first class: The Business-heir group. Put it simply, they are the chaebol son and chaebol daughter. Park Chorong subaenim of Empire Group, Son Naeun of Sun Conglomerate and Jung Eunji of Busan International are few of the elites who belong to that class.

 

Second class: The Stock-heir group. They’re not going to inherit the family business, but they’re already major shareholder.

 

Third class: The Honorable-heir group. Ministers, politicians, Supreme Court justices and law firm owners. Children from these types of families.

 

And lastly, The Fourth class: The Nouveau-riche group. They came from families who suddenly became rich because of blooming business or whatever. They are the new-money group.

 

Since your uncle is the owner of Cube Entertainment, you’re from the second class while I’m from the third class since I’m a politician’s daughter.”

 

“Oh…I see. This school seems to be a bit complicated.”

 

The three of us nodded in harmony, “Very complicated.” “Frustratingly complicated.” Naeun exclaimed in a low voice.

 

“So, have you met them? The three heiress?”

 

“Yes, during the academy’s welcome ceremony. The student council gathered together to welcome all the freshmen. Chorong sunbaenim even made a short speech back then. She’s really stunning. The three of them are gorgeous.” The young freshie excitedly exclaimed. “I really wish to be like them.” She added in a dreamy voice.

 

“Really? I get the Chorong and Naeun part but who would want to be like Eunji?” Naeun squabbled but Eunji just snorted, “Everybody, my dear…everybody.”  

 

“And what are you two doing in this dark alley?” A familiar voice joined the two freshies’ conversation and the three of us looked at each other for the second time. “Yoon Bomi?” Eunji frowned as she tries to decipher the owner of the intruder’s voice. “It seems like her.” Naeun nooded, agreeing with Eunji’s deduction.

 

“What are you two conspiring on?” The intruder teased the two poor souls. “Are you trying to run a con or something? Why do you have to talk in here?”

 

“Unnie, lower your voice.” One of the two freshies hushed her. “We were just acquainting ourselves with our new school.”

 

We heard the intruder chuckle, “That’s impossible. This school is very complicated.”

 

“How about you, unnie? Today is your first day, right? Have you seen the three Heiress already?”

 

“Three heiress?”

 

“Yes…Chorong, Naeun and Eunji sunbae.”

 

“Ooh…yeah. I met them this morning. The student council president even gave me a short tour of the campus.” My heart flustered a little at the thought of her sudden embrace awhile back. The embrace was really uncalled for but still, I felt bad for being so cold to her this morning.

 

“Really?” The two freshies cried out. “Wah…unnie is so lucky.”

 

“So unnie, what do you think of them? Hyerin said that they’re all gorgeous.” The three of us exchange looks as we silently pry over their conversation.

 

“Why do I feel like we are eavesdropping?” Eunji snickered and Naeun and I just smiled awkwardly. It’s not the first time we’ve heard students talking about us but still, it’s overwhelming.

 

“I guess they are.” Yoon Bomi reluctantly retorted.

 

“Since you’ve seen them already, who do you think is the prettiest, unnie?”

 

“Well, I’m not sure.” She seems to be astounded by the sudden query.

 

“Come on, unnie…tell us.” The two cried out in unison and the three of us leaned back, anticipating. We eyed each other teasingly as we inaudibly compete for the crown. Naeun pointed at herself but Eunji shook her head. She raised her hand and pointed at me, “my bet is on you.”

 

There was a long awkward silence before we heard her response.“Chorong-shi…because she’s elegantly cold.”

 

 

 

A/N: Chaebol - a large, usually family-owned, business group in South Korea. Chaebol literally mean money clan.

       As promised, another update for my readers. Since it's Christmas break, I might be able to update more often. Merry Christmas everyone. Enjoy!