The New Girl

The Perfect Disguise

 

The New Girl

I stared at the door in front of me, contemplating as to whether I should knock right away or  wait until someone decided to call me in. I heard some voices from the other side of the door and so I decided to wait for a while. Being a transfer student, it is a must to meet the principal or whoever is in-charge, which in this academy, is called a head master, for debriefing and -kissing little talks. The head master’s secretary is nowhere to be found and so I made myself comfortable and sat at the bench stationed at the right corner of the waiting room.

 

I assumed they are holding a meeting of some sort and so I plug in my earphones and blast away. Almost half an hour later, the door swung opened, and a slender, attractive woman in her late twenties walked out of the room carrying thick folders. I immediately stood up in an attempt to help her when another girl, a student, walked out of the room, “Ms. Kim, let me help you with those.” She took some of the folders from the woman, she called Ms. Kim, and put them in the desk right next to the bench I was sitting.

 

“Thanks Eunji,” exclaimed Ms. Kim as she watches the student organized the folders in the drawer and I just stood there, wondering as to whether I should speak up or not. My presence doesn’t seem to bother either of them and so I made my way straight to the door. I glanced at my watch; I’m half an hour late for my first class, such a great way to start my first day. I knocked at the half-opened door and made my way inside. The head master is seating comfortably at her chair while talking to another student standing right in front of her desk. The knock caught the attention of the oblivious student and secretary for they gaze over my direction.

 

“Can I help you?” The head master squinted as she looked over my direction. The student she was talking to, glanced at me as well, and is now starring down at me. “I’m late.” I squabbled.

 

“Ms. Kim, can you please help this rude student make her way out of here.” The head master eyed her secretary and in a flash, Ms. Kim came in rushing, pulling me by the arm, “What the hell are you doing in here? Go back to your class now.” But before she could totally pull me out of the head master’s room, I jerked her hand and marched in front of the head master’s desk.

 

“My name is Yoon Bomi. I’m the new transfer student.” I declared, loud and firm. The student who is now standing next to me gave me a look but I didn’t bulge. “I apologize for what seems to be a rude behavior but I’ve been summoned to meet the person in charge, before I attend my first class and I willingly obliged. Not knowing that I had to wait for what seems to be forever just to be ignored by your oblivious secretary, I sat outside unobtrusively.  I’m supposed to be attending my first class at this very moment but here I am, making a fool of myself, in front of the head master and beside this lovely lady…” I took a glimpsed at her name tag, “…Park Chorong.” The Park Chorong.

 

The head master once again squinted as she looked up to get a better look of me, “Yoon Bomi?”

 

“Yes Ma’am.”

 

“Very well then…” She stood up and made her way to the partition situated in the opposite side of the office. She pulled a drawer, taking out a folder with my name written at the bottom of it. “Bomi-yang, you remind me a lot of your late father.”

 

She handed me my academic schedule, my student manual and an application form for any organization I might wish to join later on. “Such a bold and daring character…you are indeed his daughter.” She looked at me again, and gave out a warm smile.

 

“I’ll take that as a compliment, Ma’am.” I replied back, which I façade with a fake smile.

 

She nodded before glancing over the other student, Park Chorong. “Bomi-yang, as you already know, this lovely lady, is Park Chorong. She is the president of our student council.” I smiled at her vigorously and she returned the smile with a cold glare. “Chorong-shi, would you mind giving Bomi-yang the campus tour she was supposed to have, thirty minutes ago?” It was more of a statement than a question.

 

“No Ma’am.” It’s the first time I heard her talk, and she has such a lovely and endearing voice for a cold lady like her. I watched as she delicately handed over a file to the head master and waited until the head master put her stamp on it.

 

She glared at my direction, “Yoon Bomi-shi, let’s go.” She grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the room, not letting me bid goodbye.

 

We walked at the empty hallway in a painful and mind-breaking silence and I just watched as she walked gracefully ahead of me, ignoring me. Park Chorong, one of the heiresses, is just a few meters away from me. I clench my fist as I stood there, contemplating. Allow me to break you gently, Park Chorong-shi.