L

Plectrum of Hope

"We're going for a trip!" 

Chanyeol exclaims, his wide smile flaunting his perfect arrangement of white teeth. He's clearly pumped up for this occasion and surprisingly too excited to go to a fun fair for a 21 year old grown man. The streets are still damp from the earlier downpour this morning, but all in all the weather has been promising for a Wednesday. They have a day off today thanks to their manager who decided they needed some rest after continuously practicing for almost a fortnight. Finally.

"I still think this is a bad idea", Soo Yun scowls, her arms cross across her chest as she watches him putting on ridiculous disguises that he thinks would actually work. She scoffs at the idea because clearly, this won't work. In a million years. This is the worst idea out of the worst of the worst ideas. 

"Take a chill pill, Yun-ah. What could possibly go wrong?", Chanyeol beams as he puts on a rather funny looking fake moustache on the spot between the bottom of his nose and his upper lip. He had already put on a black mole(that's actually a sticker but it doesn't really matter) on his left cheek and a big set of square size glasses that falls on the bridge of his nose to top it all off. He ruffles his hair and puts on a straw hat that smells kinda funny-like a sour, almost unpleasant scent. He had found it in a storage room earlier today, but now he wonders if it's really a good idea. 

"Oh, I don't know. Perhaps....getting stampede by hundreds of fans in bright daylight?!", she shoots at him, the scowl never really leaving her face since he told her about their plan. "I've always thought my life was hard, but never would I imagine I would die like this", she sighs, and drops to a chair. 

"You're overreacting. Would you please go with this idea of mine for once? I thought we loved each other, Yunie", Chanyeol says, his voice deeper than usual with an undertone that sounds almost sultry as he locks eyes with her. 

Soo Yun's heart hammers rapidly against her rib cage. She's clearly caught off guard when Chanyeol says the word openly like it means nothing; when her feelings are clearly mixed about her friendship with him. And the fact that he calls her with that nickname makes her swoon a little, and that drives her slightly mad. She throws her bottle towards him and it hits him right on the stomach before he's able to catch it. We're just friends, she chants mentally to herself a couple of times. 

"Don't call me that. I told you I hated that nickname", she snaps at him. But guilt starts to engulf her as she sees a sliver of hurt cross his features and she knows immediately that she will never hear that name roll from his tongue ever again. 

"Fine", he says curtly, not meeting her in the eyes. That hurt him more than he expected. 

"Let's go, we're gonna be late", he tells her after a moment of silence, and takes a last look of himself in the mirror before exiting the room; leaving Soo Yun looking remorseful. 


 

 

"Ah, there they are!", Baekhyun waves as soon as Chanyeol and Soo Yun walks into the hallway. Chanyeol looks like a middle aged man going for a lunch break with his bushy moustache tuck under his nose and a big, oversized coat; while Soo Yun trails quietly behind him, carrying her backpack on her shoulders. She looks like a teenager that had just been scolded by her father and now being sternly punished for her actions. 

"What took you so long?", Baekcon asks, his smile never quite leaving his goofy face. 

Chanyeol stares at him wide-eyed. Baekhyun looks sleek with his hair pulled back and styled with a profuse amount of gel. His torso is covered with a classy tux and a red flashy tie decorated with a plethora of stars. His eyes are shaded with black raybans and he's ironically holding a suitcase. 

"Don't you think you look a little...formal, for a fun fair?", Chanyeol gapes, his jaw seems like it's going to reach the ground any moment now. 

"Actually I was aiming for a secret undercover agent. You know-- my name's Baek...James Baek", he says solemly in a seductive voice as he takes his shades off and winks towards Chanyeol but ends up bursting in laughter. 

Chanyeol shakes his head, finally taking to count that this idea might not work at all. He glances around him and the other members look amusing as well but not as preposterous as Baek. Sehun has a snapback on; his eyes obscured with thick-rimmed shades and he is covered with layers and layers of clothing that makes Chanyeol wonder if he might get too hot under the sun afterwards even though they're in the middle of winter that's approaching. Jongin looks normal, with a knitted cream coloured sweater but has a black mask that covers his nose and thin lips. Suho hyung, on the other hand, beams in his outfit of thick, cotton wool Christmas sweater that looks like it belongs to an 80 year old grandma living in a cottage in the mountains. He tops it off with a bear hat that has two long paws hanging from both side of his head. 

Kyungsoo looks the most ordinary out of all of them. He's wearing a thick black sweater that has a long neck that covers half of his face. Nevertheless he looks almost swallowed by the fabric because of his narrow shoulders and small figure. If people notices them on the street, they would think Kyungsoo is a kid being brought to the fun fair with his dad, a flashy looking bodyguard, three weird older brothers and a scowl-faced, unhappy, looking sister. 

"Well here goes nothing", Chanyeol mumbles under his breath as he ushers them outside from the back door of the building. 

Soo Yun doesn't speak a word to him along the way. 


 

 

The streets aren't that throng; cars only pass by regularly since it's a weekday. Occassionally there's buses passing beside them going to the other way. They walk in silence as they keep a comfortable distance between each other to avoid or arouse any suspicions. Chanyeol suggests they take a more vacant street down the road, that's impaired in most parts but is still safe to use. The fun fair isn't that far but it will take about ten minutes to get there. Fancy apartments lined the main road but people don't recognize them. Not yet. 

Suddenly Soo Yun's sour face pops into his mind and he glances backwards to make sure she's still following. She is, thankfully. He notices that her nose is turning red like a bright tomato because of the cold. She snuggles into her coat; completely oblivious by Chanyeol stealing glances at her. Chanyeol gulps, all of a sudden remembering her face red in anger back then and promptly looks in front again. 

They had decided to go to the fun fair because today's the last day before it will be closed until next year because of the approaching winter. It would be a bummer to miss out on the fair filled with fun-packed rides and silly booths. A stress reliever, Chanyeol thinks to himself. 

The decision to go on foot was also suggested by him. They would raise attention if they went by car or van; the fans would know immediately. And secondly, he thinks it would be hella fun to walk on the streets undetected, for once. He misses being a normal person sometimes. His mates agreed without arguing, but Soo Yun was an exception. 

He has to bring her since it would be wrong not to bring your best friend. And truth be told, they technically need a 'supervisor' or most likely a "babysitter" in case anything happens and they need help urgently. Besides, he misses spending time with her. But in this case, it will most likely not going to happen because of the tension between them. 

Up front, the other side of the road is going through a construction work so they have to wedge behind a group of teenage girls casually taking selcas in front of a convenience store. Chanyeol suddenly feels tense when he walks behind them; his whole body feels taut like wire as if he makes the wrong move, it will jeopardize their cover. But thankfully, the girls doesn't take any interest in them at all. 

Chanyeol continues to walk, but his pace is faster than before. The others follow suit. But not after a minute they pass the group of teenage girls, he hears an urgent scream from behind him.

And not long after that, a high-pitched voice screaming "EXO!!!" followed by a thunder of footsteps bolting towards them. 

"Run!"

 

 


 

{ A/N }

I am quite proud with this chapter since I never wrote something as long and as promising as this. :D also I think I'm slowly improving in the way I write so yay *throws confetti* 

+ A hugeeeee shoutout to my friends who are reading this(you know who you are!) Thank you so much for supporting me in my work, hopefully I won't let you guys down!  

-Z