LIX

Plectrum of Hope

It's a foggy Monday and Chanyeol is sprawled on bed unable to shut his thoughts. They won't start practice until noon so he has no tendency to get up. The sunlight spilling through the windows reflected on the plectrum that he spins between his fingers. The piece of wood is smooth and shimmers in the morning light. 

It has been a month since he started receiving those letters every single day. And each time it contains only one particular object; a guitar pick. He received myriad types of those plectrums, from wood to rubber guitar picks, from the most common ones you could find in a music store to the rarest plectrum. At first, Chanyeol didn't feel odd about the gifts, but then they started to come in the mail daily and it started to bother him.

He knows he is being absurb for being calculative over gifts that was probably sent to him by someone who (perhaps) really admired him. And someone who knew he really liked guitars. But constantly receiving the same gifts from a stranger every day makes him have this itchy feeling that he's somehow being watched. And that puts him on edge. 

The initials written on each guitar pick also struck him as peculiar. Yesterday it was 'LX'. And he is convince that he would be getting one with the letters "LIX" today. 

Why is the numbers decreasing? It didn't make any sense. Is he receiving death threats? Is the person sending him this is grimly counting down the days before he would end his life? What if he would really be killed by a psychopathic serial killer in two months? 

"UGHHHHH!", Chanyeol grunts and covers his face with a pillow as if it would curb the thoughts that's starting to make him sick. The inkling of thoughts that started off as a fraction of a fragment, now combining to become a big, giant bubble in his head that's about to burst at any moment. 

 


"Chanyeol-ah!!", a girl screams at the top of her lungs and suddenly he is awaken from his not-so-short nap. 

She's standing beside the bed, her arms cross across her chest and she has a not-so-happy-expression plastered on her face. 

Chanyeol tries to figure out who is this girl that just caused any opera singer to shame with her high soprano but sleep cakes along his eyes and her image blurs like something familiar seen beneath disturbed and rippled clear water.

"YA! Wake up you pabo, you're late!", she says, her not-so-happy-expression turning into a deep frown that makes her look more adorable in his eyes. 

There's only one person who would call him that, and that's his best friend, Soo Yun. 

Chanyeol stretches; his arms almost reaching the back of the wall and gets up groggily from the bed as he pushes the duvet aside and makes his way towards the bathroom. "What time is i-" 

He was cut off by her high-pitch scream and when he turns around, he sees her covering her face with her hands.

"What's wrong? You ok?", he starts to panic, his eyes widen in confusion. It's not everyday a girl enters his room and screams like a total maniac. 

"YOU'RE NOT WEARING ANY CLOTHES YOU IDIOT!" she shrieks, and only then Chanyeol realizes he's only wearing his boxers. 

His cheeks flush in embarassesment as he attempts to cover his exposed chest. "YA! why didn't you tell me earlier!" he retorts. 

"How would I know I'd be greeted by a man in his boxers when I was asked to go and wake you up," she fires back, her hands still covering her eyes. 

"You should know guys sleep without hardly any clothes on", he smirks, suddenly enjoying the sight of her panicking when she saw him without clothes on. 

"I don't okay, now please for God's sake get a towel or something!" she pleads, her ears hot with embarassment. 

Chanyeol chuckles, and starts moving closer towards her. "Why? Don't you want to enjoy the view, at least?"

"Oh God, you're such a pain in the . I'm leaving now", she says with a modicum pride left and storms out of the room, her hands still obscuring her view. 

Chanyeol watch her leave with clumsy steps and a grin plays on the corner of his lips.

 


It's almost eight, and Soo Yun is late. Late for her dinner, late for submitting the paperwork her boss asked for, late for caliing her little brother at home to go take out the garbage outside, and basically late for everything. And yet here she is, avoiding the throng of people walking in the S.M building, carrying 6 bottles of water needed to be given out to the boys. What a job. Then she shakes her head as soon as she gets the thought. 

The dance studio is silent, but mutterings and conversations can be heard when she arrives at the door. Soo Yun pushes the door open with her shoulders without caring to knock and slowly walks over to their table with bottles of water that she struggles to balance in her arm grip. 

She catches her reflection in the mirror and notices she looks exhausted; almost. Her wavy golden brown hair is pulled into a tight ponytail that swings in a light motion in between her shoulder blades. Today she's wearing a long sleeve T-shirt with "EXO, FIGHTING!" printed on the front. 

The boys are sitting at the table at the far end of the room. Soo Yun drops the bottles unwillingly onto their table and heaves a sigh of relief; her breath blowing the strand of hair in front of her face that hangs like a dull thread. 

"Glad to see you're supporting us today, Soo Yun-ah" Jongin remarks, an amused expression on his face as he acknowledges her T-shirt. 

Her eyebrows furrow as she looks at him but then her confused facade dissipates as fast as it appears. 

"Oh, you mean this?" She points at her shirt and all the other members nod profusely. They're also astonish at the shirt she's wearing since Soo Yun isn't actually the type to go around supporting them in public. She finds it ludicrous(almost), even though she's a part of the team in charge of EXO. 

"Actually I was asked to wear this without my consent, that, doesn't seem to matter to anyone", she sighs exaggeratedly and all of them snicker. "Anyway, I'm not going to say no because, one, I'd lost my job. And well--I thought, if I wore this today you'd all be more energetic since I'm rooting for all of you. I am happily spreading the Soo Yun kyeopta vibe tonight so you better work hard!", she says, and her lips curve into a wide smile that leaves a little dent impression on her left cheek. 

While Chanyeol gazes at her, he suddenly perceives the impression isn't actually a dimple; but simply a little imperfection that makes her look more noticeable in a crowd. They've been best friends for almost 2 years now and he can't believe he'd only notice this feature of her now. He feels foolish, somehow. 

She takes a seat beside Chanyeol although the earlier incident still floats in her mind like a single memory that refuses to be erased in such a short period of time. Then, without comtemplation, she punches him hard on the shoulder that results in a cry of pain from the pabo. 

"YA! What's that for?!", Chanyeol yelps, his eyes widen in absolute confusion. He glares at her as he rubs the spot on his shoulder that she just used as a punching bag; trying to soothe the pain. 

"For not respecting my female rights, that's what", she says innocently while pretending to examine her nails.

"Female rights? Since when?", he gapes. He is completely dumbfounded by her---who is actually his best friend. How did things end up like this? Not to mention-- his poor, poor shoulder.

"Hyung, what did you do to her?", it's now Jongin's turn to ask, his eyes exchanging rapidly from Soo Yun to Chanyeol. 

"Wha-", Chanyeol tries to speak up but is instantly cut off by Soo Yun.

"I went to wake him up this morning, as commanded by Baekcon. And, well, let's just say that my eyes need some serious treatment by an optometrist after what I have forcefully witness." she says pitifully as her head shakes a couple of times as if she had just heard horrendous news.

Chanyeol, on the other hand, looks aghast because clearly it wasn't his fault she'd seen him ; partially.

"Chanyeol-ah, I've known you for 3 years now and I've never felt so disappointed by you in my whole life. I reckon you've got too much happy dose in you. Did Kris brainwash you, man? What happened to the old Yeollie? Gosh I miss him already" Baekhyun wails, and dramatically puts his hand on his chest and acts like he had been stabbed by a knife. 

Then Suho decides to join in the fun. "I knew you need to calm down somehow, Chanyeol-ah. This happy virus is literally driving you nuts to the point of being a ert." he shakes his head effusively. "Don't worry Soo Yun-ssi, as the leader, I'll make sure he gets the punishment that he deserves for disrupting your female rights.", he says, and winks playfully towards her. 

Kyungsoo chuckles, while Sehun tries to contain his guffaws and ends up almost falling from his chair.

Soo Yun laughs until tears start to form in the corner of her eyes while Chanyeol drops his head into his hand; obviously astonish by the whole group for making him the target tonight. 

But a small grin creeps on his lips because Soo Yun wouldn't bring this up if she didn't like what she saw. Even a blind man would know, and Chanyeol is certain, that he saw her smile behind the covered walls of her hands before she left his room this morning.

----And ultimately, he forgets about the newly-arrived white envelope that lays motionless on the table.

 


 

{ A/N }

The chapters will be a little slow-paced in the beginning because I want to introduce the characters, mostly. :)