XXXV

Plectrum of Hope

There's a ringing sound but he's not sure where it's coming from. The louder he ignores it, the more persistent it becomes. Chanyeol groans and pulls himself out of his duvet and reaches for the source of sound. His mind is still cloudy from sleep. He slides the screen and puts the phone to his ear just as the other line booms with a high-pitched voice. 

"YAH, PARK CHANYEOL! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!" 

He instinctively pulls away the phone from his ear, cringing at the high decibel of noise that could make his ears bleed in a matter of time. "Good morning to you too," he grunts. 

"You better not still be in bed right now. Yoora's leaving in fifteen minutes." Soo Yun huffs loudly through the line. 

The words slowly seeps through his mind and Chanyeol widen his eyes. 

. 

I'm late!

He throws away the covers and stumbles on the way to his bathroom. "Tell her to wait for me. Jebal!" 

 

 

 

People everywhere. That's the first thing he noticed. The air feels heavy with conversations and farewells and coffee scents and puffy eyes and tight hugs. Cold air from the air-conditioning full blasting sends shivers down his spine and numbs his fingers. Chanyeol isn't aware which way he's supposed to go, but he follows where his feet takes him amid the sea of crowd.

"Attention to passengers flight AK3063, AK3063....please proceed to Gate 4." 

"Attention to passengers flight AK1124 to Canada, AK1124 to Canada...please proceed to Gate 2 at the South Wing. Thank you." 

Gate 2. 

Thank you, Lord. 

He sprints towards Gate 2; his lungs burning and gasping for air. As he turns to a new corner to get to the South Wing, he prays silently that his sister hasn't boarded the airplane yet. He can feel people's stare when he passes them in a hurry; but their images blur and he can only feel the rush of air pushing against his cheeks as he bolts. Out of his peripheral vision, he spots a young lady in the middle of the crowd just a few feet away from him, her eyebrows turn down and she holds on to her tickets tightly in her grip, her head swerving left and right; searching for someone. 

Chanyeol runs straight to his sister and engulfs her in a tight hug. Yoora gasps in surprise against his chest; but then her tense body starts to relax and she smiles as she returns the hug; situating her arms neatly on his back. 

"Thank...God.., you're still...here..", he stutters between breaths, unable to take a breather. 

Yoora squeezes him tighter and rubs his back. After quite some time, she pulls away and looks at him; smiling gratefully. "Even if you had missed me, I wouldn't be mad at you." She taps his cheek softly. 

"I know, but I won't ever forgive myself if I did." Chanyeol tries to smile back, but deep down he's torn apart to see her go. 

Yoora nods as her eyes start to turn glassy. "I'll be back in a month. I'll call you everyday, okay?" 

"Kenchana. You need to focus on your work, noona." 

"Family always comes first. Take care of yourself, Chanyeol-ah." she says, and a tear slowly trickles down her fair cheek. 

Chanyeol doesn't say anything. Instead he wraps his arms around Yoora lean frame again. If he speaks, he's positive that his voice will crack and he'll end up making her more upset by tearing up. His chest starts to feel empty and hollow; a gaping hole forming like an open wound as her absence feels unbearable, even though she's still here.

"I won't miss you, you know," Chanyeol jokes. 

"Who said I'll miss you?" Yoora retorts.

"You're such a drama queen." 

"You're such a loser."

"Touché." 

 

 

 

 

"Yoora-yah," Suho started, his hands hidden behind his back. He looked really nervous, and his level of attractiveness just shot straight up to the sky for her. God, this guy. 

"Oh?", she tried to hold back a giddy smile. 

He looked down and bit his lower lip; a habit he does when he's really really really nervous. 

Yoora looked at him intently, waiting for his next words. Her heart beats faster by the second. 

Suho slowly pulled his hands from his back and Yoora stared at the bouquet of flowers he was holding. Yoora reflexively started to back away, but then she realized those weren't flowers. They were...chocolates. And fruits. All kinds of them twisted and garnished into a bouquet. 

"I know this is silly...but I've always wanted to give you flowers. I mean, every girl deserves at least one guy to give her flowers, and I wanted to be that guy for you. Jeongmal mian-ne...for not knowing you were allergic with them back then. But I hope this is acceptable? Can we...start again?" 

She didn't let him wait for her answer. She threw her arms around him and Suho stumbled a couple of steps back to regain his balance. He laughs; a laugh that sounded relieved, like all the weight was lifted from his shoulders. He wrapped his arms securely around her; one hand her hair softly and the other hand holding on to that memorable bouquet. 

 

Yoora doesn't realize someone is staring at her until he waves his hand in front of her face. She stares at him confusingly, before it hit her. He's trying to get past her to sit at the seat beside the window. 

"Oh! Jesonghamnida!" She clumsily gets up from her seat and makes a path for him to get through. 

He moves past her smoothly; a scent of a strong male cologne washes her nostrils. She blushes and takes the seat beside him again; pushing away a strand of hair and tucks it behind her ear. 

"Where'd you go?" he asks all of a sudden and Yoora nearly jump from her seat out of shock. 

"I'm sorry?" 

"You kind of zone out for a while there. It took me a few minutes before I could finally reach you." he explains, his lips curving a kind smile. 

"Oh, it's nothing. I was just thinking," she dismiss his question with a wave of her hand. 

He stares at her for a while; his eyes narrowed like he's trying to remember something. 

"Have we...met?" he asks. 

"No, I don't think so." she shakes her head and smiles. "I'm Park Yoora. You can call me Yoora." 

"Park...Yoora?" He frowns, his forehead creases in thought. Then a look of realization dawns on his face, and Yoora sees a sliver of shock cross his features. But it was only for a few seconds because when he looks back at her, he has a tight-lipped smile plastered on his face. "I'm...--you can call me Seth." 

"You're not...Korean?" She asks, slightly confused. He doesn't look like a foreigner. His black hair is sleek with gel, he has dark set of eyes and defined eyebrows. Apart from the crisp suit he's wearing, he looks pretty much like a local. 

"Oh, I am Korean. But I'm more comfortable with the calling Seth. Most people call me that." There it goes again, the tight-lipped smile. 

Yoora nods; unsure of what to say next. 

"So...why are you heading to Canada?" he asks. 

"Oh? Um, work requirements. I'm an anchor." she explains, and Seth raises his eyebrows; clearly intrigued. 

"What about you?" she looks at him. 

"Business trip. Nothing special." 

Yoora is about to ask what kind of business, but the airplane suddenly booms with the pilot's voice; demanding all the passengers to wear their seatbelts and get ready for takeoff. 

It isn't until the plane sets off into the air that she notices a glint of a silver ring on his finger on his right hand. 

"You're married?" She gapes. But then she realizes how nosy she's being and quickly bows her head. "Jesonghamnida, I didn't mean to be so fussy about your life." 

He doesn't reply at first but then she hears him laugh; his tone comes off as deep and rough. "No, not yet. I'm actually engaged." He smiles, and turns the ring around his finger. 

Yoora breathes a sigh of relief. Thank God he's not mad. 

"I can't wait to get home to her when my job is over." His eyes are distant when he looks at the ring. 

"Surely, she must can't wait to have you home too." Yoora agrees. 

"Yes. I hope she'll be good." 

Yoora frowns at his reply but he doesn't seem to acknowledge her nonplussed expression. 

"Do you have a boyfriend, Yoora-ssi?" he asks politely. 

"I'm not sure, to be honest." She lets out a nervous laugh. "He hasn't actually asked me yet, or declared us official."

She's a little sadden by the thought, but she knows Suho is the type of guy that takes things slow and steady because he's afraid he'll mess up if he jumps into a relationship too fast. And besides, they're both caught up in never-ending work. But he promised he'll make this work for them. And that's one of the hundred things she loves about him; he always keeps his promises.

"I have my brother though. And I'm pretty sure he's eligible for the overprotective boyfriend type. So who needs a boyfriend when you have someone like Chanyeol by your side?" 

She smiles and turns her gaze towards him but his expression causes her smile to fade. He freezes as the colour drains from his face and his eyes are widen, but she's not sure whether it is from shock or surprise or anger or something else in between.

Perhaps noticing that she notices his change of demeanor, he clears his throat to disperse the tension away.

"Are you okay?" she hesitates.

He gives her a tight smile that seems forced. The hair at the back of her neck raises when she catches the glimpse in his eyes. It wasn't there before, but now there's a shadow lurking behind his gaze. She turns away and neither of them makes the effort to start a conversation for the next thirteen long hours.

 

 


 

 

"Yoora-ssi!" He calls out behind her and Yoora stops in her tracks. She whips around to face him; her heels clicking against the marble floor of the Ottawa International Airport.

"I apologized for earlier. I hope we can still keep in touch?" He asks.

Yoora bites her lip. She doesn't know what kind of guy he really is, and by his change of disposition and the strange look in his eyes, she's weighing whether it's a good idea.

"You know what, I'll give you my number. I don't have my business card at the moment so you can call me if you need anything. I come here quite a lot, so if you need a friend to help you out around this huge city, I'll be glad to be that chingu." He hands her a scribbled paper.

Yoora reaches for the paper hesitantly and nods slowly. "Deh. Kamsahamnida."

She bows her head a bit and turns around and starts to walk away quickly from the strange guy.

He waves at her, even though she has his back turn on him. His smile fades and is replaced by a sly grin.

Park Yoora.

 

We'll surely meet again.

He slips his phone out of the pocket of his suit and punches a set of numbers. It takes only two rings before the other line picks up.

 

...

 

"Yes, it's me. I need you to do something for me."

 

 

 


{ A/N }

I hope you guys didn't mind that this chapter focuses on Yoora because the next chapters will start to pick up the storyline and we'll get less appearance of Yoora. (I really hope not!) Oh are you wondering who's the mysterious guy? You better ;) 

 Omo she's so pretty *__* i want to look like her lol.

By the way I'm getting less driven to write my story because I don't get that much feedback from you guys and it really saddens me. I won't give up on this story though bcs I'm still determined to finish it but yeah :( 

-Z