Goodbyes

My Guardian Angel

He was alone in the room, other than the one angel keeping his post by the door. Kyungsoo began to regain consciousness. He frantically looked around. “Jongin?! JONGIN?! JONGIN!” He ran up to the door and started banging heavily on it. “Stop that..!” The angel, a small one, said. “He’s not here! The ceremony is about to take place…” The small angel had a sad expression on his face. Kyungsoo starts crying again and shakes his head. “P-Please…help me.” He falls to his knees and starts sobbing into his hands. The angel on the other side looked longingly at the door. “I…can take you to him…” He said softly after a long moment. Kyungsoo looked up through misty eyes and nodded. “Please.” He sniffled and stood, waiting at the door. “W-Why are you helping me?” “I was friends with Kai…” he sighed. “I was always the only one who’d listen to him talk about you. I know just how much this must be hurting him…He’s worked so hard for so long, and to have all that work thrown away, it’s a waste. He deserves his second chance at life on Earth again…” The angel opened the door and brought them both out into an empty hallway. Kyungsoo hugged the angel with a soft sigh. “Thank you so much. What’s your name? Your real name.” He wiped at his still running eyes. “I’m-I’m Baekhyun,” he said offering a smile and giving a quick hug back. “Let’s go…Kai is this way.” He darted off to a huge room packed with other angels and what looked to be their leader. Kyungsoo hides a bit behind Baekhyun to avoid being caught. A sniffle being heard as he clings onto the back of his shirt. “What would they do to me if I ran in there and decked one of them in the face?” Baekhyun smiled and chuckled softly. “Probably send you back to Earth immediately without letting you say goodbye.” Kai was in the center of the room, his hands bound over his head and a piece of leather between his teeth. There were other angels holding his wings, and Kai was trembling in his spot. Kyungsoo choked a sob at seeing his love like this. “Oh god…” He covered his mouth. Baekhyun looked sad. “We…We have to wait until the ceremony is over…” Tears stung at his eyes and he turned away. The leader was giving some sort of signal, and the angels pulled hard. Kai emitted a muffled scream. Kyungsoo squealed and hid his face in Baekhyun’s shoulder. He clung tightly onto the other as he sobbed into the angel’s shirt. Baekhyun held the human close, keeping his head down so neither of them would see. There was a sound of ripping flesh and crunching joints, and more screaming, which soon faltered into pitiful whimpers. Kyungsoo continued to sob. He turned around to see Kai and his back a bloody mess. He hurried over to a corner and vomited. Tears blurring out his vision. Kai’s limp body is taken away for him to rest. Baekhyun crouched by Kyungsoo, rubbing a small hand on his back softly. “Kyungsoo…I’m so sorry…” he whispered. Kyungsoo shakes his head and coughs between sobs. “It’s all my fault…” Baekhyun raised his eyebrows in surprise. “Oh, no, don’t think like that…” He says gently. “It was Jongin who fell in love…He knew the consequences.” Kyungsoo shakes his head down. “I made the first move.” He sniffled and wiped at his face. “I can’t live without him…” Baekhyun let an arm rest over his back. “Let’s go see him, okay?” Kyungsoo stands and nods. He wiped his mouth and sniffled. “Y-Yes…p-please…”Baekhyun patted his back softly and helped him stand, and within minutes they were standing outside Kai’s cell. Baekhyun stayed behind. “You can go ahead…” He said softly. “Have some time alone together.” Kyungsoo kissed Baekhyun’s cheek. “Thank you so much. I hope you get your second chance.” He turns and enters Kai’s room quietly. He whispered through his tears, afraid Kai would blame him. “J-Jongin?” Kai was lying face down, his arms spread on his sides. Bloody bandages were wrapped around his entire torso. He didn’t move, except for a small twitch of his fingers. Kyungsoo slowly stepped towards him. He falls to his knees beside Kai and his hair. He sobs to himself quietly. “My baby…” Kai slowly turned his head over to look at him. “Kyungsoo…” He managed a weak, hurt smile. The pain went away when he saw his love’s face. Kyungsoo weakly smiled back through his tears. “Hi…I’m so sorry.” He kissed the angel’s forehead gently. Kai closed his eyes when Kyungsoo kissed him. “Don’t be…” He murmured tiredly. His hand reached out to find the other’s hand. Kyungsoo gladly and gently held Kai’s hand. “I love you. How long will it take for you to get your second chance?” Kai made a face and sighed. “Too long…” He mumbled. “Much too long…” He didn’t want to think of the daunting task he face, of starting from the bottom and working his way up again. Kyungsoo would be long dead before he got his second chance. But maybe…if he waited for Kyungsoo to join him here…Did he really need a second chance…? Kyungsoo shakily whispered. “If I die…will you wait for me here?” He nuzzled Kai’s nose with his own. Kai sighed. “Yes…I-I’ll wait for you...” He wishes Kyungsoo was lying beside him. Everything still hurts. “Kyungsoo?” He asked slowly. “Do you still love me without my wings…?” There are tears pricking the corners of his eyes. Kyungsoo nods and the angel’s smooth face. “Of course I do. I’ll always love you. No matter what.” He pecks the angel’s swollen lips. Kai kisses back as much as he can, desperately. He knows Kyungsoo has to leave soon. “You’ll still remember me when we meet again, right?” Kyungsoo sniffles and nods. “Always. I’ll never forget you.” He leans down and kisses Kai again, savoring the moment as much as he can. Kai closed his eyes, his movement slowly getting weaker as he began to slip out of consciousness. He wants to stay awake longer but he can’t. The room is enveloped in a white light that turns to black, and once again, Kyungsoo is alone. This time in his bedroom….As though it had all been a dream. However, there is a white feather in his pocket flecked with gold. Kyungsoo looks around and starts crying again. He holds the feather in between his fingers and it gently.