Sunday Church

My Guardian Angel

One morning, the usual Sunday church service was droning onward as always, yet Kai was happy to be here. Sitting up in the rafters with extended wings, warming them under the soft sunlight, his feathers filtered the colored light and the tiny gold flecks in his wings glittered. Not that anyone below could see him, however. He stared down at the young human below him with a soft, almost adoring smile. Wherever Kyungsoo went, Kai followed, ensuring his safety at every step. He couldn’t solve all of his problems, but he could protect him from all the things the humans didn’t believe exist – the strange and the supernatural. Kyungsoo was looking up at him now with round eyes, pretty lips parted in a small gape. Yes, the darkly skinned angel did like to cheat sometimes – this was perhaps the fourth week in a row that Kai had let himself be seen by Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo only. His smile grew, pearly white teeth flashing, and he wiggles his fingers in a little wave. Kyungsoo stared in disbelief. He couldn’t believe it. The wings…the beautiful, beautiful wings. The attractive and handsome face. The stunning smile. He looked around at everyone else in the church before looking back up. He rubbed his eyes before shyly waving back. Kai chuckled to himself, the sound going unheard, and let one leg dangle as he hugged the other to his chest. Staring only a few more moments, he finally rose and made his way down towards the fountain of holy water behind the pews. He dipped his fingers in before gliding them along his feathers, preening them carefully, not a single one coming loose. And still, from the corner of his eyes, he was keeping watch over the boy. Kyungsoo sat in place and stared downwards as the service continued. He started to wonder about his sanity. Hallucinations? That’s not something that happens to a sane person. When the service ends, he walks out of the church and to the parking lot where his blue Fiat 500 was parked. By the time the church was emptied, Kai was perched atop the church rooftop, watching everyone leave. It was a rather chilly day, cloudy, with a biting wind that brushed a thin layer of snow around. Kai couldn’t feel the cold anymore but his wings were closed around his shoulders like a jacket anyways. He leapt up and extended them, following Kyungsoo on his was to his little home and sitting on his haunches above the front porch. Kyungsoo parked in his driveway and let out a heavy sigh. He got out and walked up to his porch. He kicked his boots against the doormat to knock off the snow and went to unlock his door. As he pushed the key into the lock, he discovered the door to be unlocked. His blood turned cold and he became instantly frightened. He opened the door to find his house torn apart and ransacked. Alarmed, Kai stiffened and made his way inside the little home. Staring with wide eyes at the wreckage, he could only be grateful that no harm had to come to Kyungsoo himself. However…it seemed the intruder hadn’t left yet. A tall man stood rifling through a closet in a nearby hallway, his form somewhat crotched and rather dark. Kyungsoo gasped and reached for a broken piece of glass. He held it up shakily, “Who the hell are you?!” The man turns and Kyungsoo becomes stunned. Flaming red eyes piercing his very soul. The man lunged for Kyungsoo, knife in hand. Kai knew he had to step in. Showing himself was against the rules, but so was ignoring the fact that his human was in danger. He jumped in front of the boy, much to the intruder’s surprise, and the knife plunged into the center of his torso. Kai grit his teeth and attacked, a palm going over the thing’s rotting face. “In nomine Domini, evanescat oportet!” The angel’s curse set the demon dissipating into ash within seconds. Kyungsoo stood in place petrified. His whole body shaking. Wide eyes examine the scene as he attempts to form sentences. “W-What…? W-Who…? H-How…?” A sweep of the angel’s hand, whisked the ashes away. He turned to Kyungsoo, a hand gripping the handle of the knife inside his stomach. “You don’t have to be scared,” he said softly. “Really….E-everything’s alright.” Kyungsoo widened his eyes and gently placed a small, warm hand on the other’s chest. “You…I’ve been seeing you all week. Are you okay?” He notices the knife for the first time and starts panicking. “Oh my god! You’re hurt! Why do I keep hallucinating?!” Kai touched his shoulder gently to stop him. “You’re not hallucinating.” He assured him. “I’ll be alright. Just give me a second, I…” With a grunt, he pulled the knife from his torso, dark red blood spilling forth onto the hard wood floor. The wound visibly began to seal itself up, and within minutes the bleeding had stopped completely. Kai grinned. “See? Just fine…” Kyungsoo stared in absolute awe. He couldn’t believe any of this. “I-I’m so confused. Who was that man? What did you do to him? Who are you? How the hell did you heal yourself?” He ruffled his brown locks with a frustrated groan. “Aish…!” Kyungsoo furrowed his brows and scrunched is nose. “One at a time, one a time,” the angel said gently. “That wasn’t a man at all, you see, it was a demon…He was looking for you. My name is Kai…I’m here to protect you, keep you safe.” His wings fluttered a little. “Is it hard to believe?” Kyungsoo nods slowly, still in shock a bit. His knees buckle causing him to fall into Kai’s arms. “You’re an angel…aren’t you?” He closed his eyes and held onto Kai like his life depended on it which ironically….it kind of did. Kai held the human close and tucked the boy’s head under his chin, his fingers threading through his hair. “I am,” he murmurs. “I’m your guardian angel.” A soft sigh passes Kyungsoo’s lips and he buries his head in Kai’s chest. He feels an overwhelming sense of safety. “What did he want?” He said breathily, enjoying the feeling of Kai’s arms and hands. Kai pressed his lips together, going silent for a few long moments. “Don’t worry about it, okay…? No matter what, I’m going to keep you safe. But Kyungsoo…” He pulled back slightly, looking deeply into his eyes. “We have to leave this place soon…” Kyungsoo looked up into Kai’s eyes. He easily gets lost in the chocolatey brown orbs. He nods as a response. “Where will we go?” He asks as he grips the front of Kai’s white dress shirt. Kai turned his head, looking away and alert as though he heard something. “Somewhere safe. Away from here…” He cradled the boy against him, scooping him into his arms. “Do you trust me?” Kyungsoo widens his eyes and wraps his frail arms tightly around Kai’s neck. He nods and nuzzles into the angel’s chest. Both eyes fluttering shut as he softly murmurs. “I-I trust you.” Extending his wings, Kai leapt from the house and up into the air, cold wind blowing directly into their faces, Kai’s grip was secure as he flew up and up and up, above the clouds where the sun shone overhead. He could easily fly like this, Kyungsoo’s trust in him literally giving lift to his wings.