Tragedies

Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinri took shallow breaths as she rested against the tree. She could hear the rustling of leaves a little ways off, but she needed the time to catch her breath. The boys were fast. She was starting to regret agreeing to their little game.

The game, as Baekhyun had put it, was to be the rabbit to their appropriately named wolves. She was given 30 minutes to go as far as she could into the forest behind the house. After thirty minutes, they would follow, and try to catch her. The first team that caught her, won. It sounded simple enough, but since she was still untrained, they made up some extra rules to make it easier for her to stay free longer. Once caught, she had to stay caught. This meant that they had to keep a close eye on her to prevent her from running away again. They couldn’t use ropes or anything, and they couldn’t carry her. They also weren’t allowed to be in their wolf forms, otherwise the game would be over extremely quickly. All in all, they had until sundown to catch her. If no one had caught and brought her back by the time the sun had fully set, she would be declared winner, and one of them would shift to come find her and her safely back.

If she had to guess the time, it was around 4:30. That meant that she had an hour left to remain uncaptured if she wanted to win.

So far, she had been running from them since 1:30. She was caught once by Suho’s team, who had actually managed to get her about halfway back before Kris’s team ambushed them and she took the chance to escape. Maybe it was her training with Henry, maybe it was the fact that they were slower in their human forms, but Jinri was giving them a run for their money (pun intended). Kris’s team had almost caught her once, but she managed to trick them by shedding her t-shirt and ripping it to pieces, leaving them scattered so that they would confuse her scent. It was a clever trick, and bought her about a half an hour. But now, as it was getting later in the day, she was getting tired and it was getting harder and harder to avoid each team. Right now, she was trying to avoid Kai and Chanyeol, who had almost managed to corner her in a thicket of trees too thick for her to run through.

She wiped the sweat from her brow using the hem of her tank top. If she could outrun them for three hours, she could make through another hour.

The snap of a twig drew her attention to a small patch of trees that she realized were not there when she first came through this area.

“,” she muttered and took off running. A quick glance behind her confirmed her suspicions: Kyungsoo had used his powers to disguise himself in order to get closer to her. He was now chasing after her, a determined look on his face. She picked up the pace, flicking her wrists to bring up walls of roots and vines, just as he had taught her. It only slowed him down by a second because he had the ability to destroy her blockades just as fast as she could make them. She would have used Xiumin’s power to make an ice wall, but that took a little more concentration, and she didn’t have that luxury at the moment. It would have been far easier to do this if she knew how to use more of their abilities, but she didn’t have time to dwell on that.

Ahead of her, she could see a clearing. If she went there, she risked being exposed to not only Kyungsoo, but to anyone else who had heard them tromping through the forest and decided to follow. If she didn’t go, she would have to make a quick turn and run back the way she came, but that would probably mean getting caught by one of the other members still waiting for her in the trees.  Seeing as the clearing might allow her to hold her own in some hand to hand combat, she sprinted even faster, bursting through the tree line with Kyungsoo hot on her heels.

“Jinri!” She faltered in her step at the sound of her name being called. It was odd because it sounded so far away when she knew that Kyungsoo was right behind her. Glancing behind her, she could see that Kyungsoo had stopped running and was looking around frantically. Couldn’t he see her? She was right in the open.

“I’m sorry to have brought you here like this.”

Jinri nearly tripped and nearly fell on her face at the sound of the voice. She looked around but couldn’t see the tree she knew had spoken to her.

“What did you do to Kyungsoo? Why can’t he see me? Why can’t I see you?”

“He will be fine, but I must show you. You must remember.”

“Remember what? I haven’t forgotten anything!”

But it was too late; she could already feel the tug and suddenly, she wasn’t in the clearing anymore.

****

“JINRI!” Kyugnsoo roared, his eyes flashing in panic and anger. One minute, he had been chasing her into the clearing. He’d had her in his sights; he didn’t look away for a second. Still, she had disappeared before his very eyes. He knew for a fact that she hadn’t learned how to use Kai’s ability, and even so, there was always the slight smell of sandalwood left hanging in the air when Kai teleported. There was no such smell now, not even Jinri’s scent. She always smelled a little sweet and a little spicy, like orange spiced tea. He had committed that smell to memory, so to not be able to smell it now scared him.

There was a rustle in the trees, and he went on the defensive immediately, ready to shift at the snap of his fingers.

“Kyungsoo, I lost Jinri’s scent.” It was Baekhyun, his eyes frantic. “I was following you guys, and then she just disappeared.”

“I know; I was staring right at her. It’s like she blinked out of existence,” Kyungsoo told him. Seconds later, ten other figures burst through the tree line, looking enraged.

“Where is she?!” Kris growled, sending a shudder through his pack mates. They had seen Kris angry before, but this was a new level. He paced in front of the group, sniffing at the air in vain.

“The game is over now,” Suho declared. “Kyungsoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter