That's What Friends are For

Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Chen woke up that morning, he could just feel the electricity in the air. That was the perk of being able to wield electricity - he was like a built in Doppler radar. He felt around his night table for his phone and shot everyone a quick text to wear something waterproof. He knew Kris hated having his perfectly styled hair ruined by the rain.

Today would be the first day back at classes since last week. He was looking forward to getting out of the house; however, he really didn't want to deal with the stress of school again. Thankfully, this was his second to last year. He was studying meteorology, naturally, so things were pretty easy for him. It was more the people at school than the classes that were troublesome.

His whole life, Chen never did well authority. He had a lot of energy, a lot to say, a lot of everything. For as much as they loved him and tried their best, his parents could never keep up with his rambunctious nature. He was always in trouble, at school, at home, when he was hanging out with friends... Trouble seemed to follow him everywhere. He talked a lot, and so usually it was his wisecracking ways that got him into trouble. Before he really understood what it meant to be a wolf and what it meant to have the ability over electricity, he would cause brief power outages when he got angry. As he got older, and he began to understand his power, he learned control. He still got in his fair share of trouble, and he was still labeled as a delinquent by his schools, but he learned to keep things to himself. For a long time, he was the only person he knew that had abilities like his own. He knew a few other kids his age that were wolves, but none of them seemed to understand the raw energy and power he was dealing with on a daily basis. That was until he met Suho.

Under normal circumstances, Suho was the exact type of guy Chen would have picked on in school. He was studious, proper and never got in trouble. Never. When he and Chen were first introduced, Chen had opened his big mouth and insulted Suho about his grandfatherly sweater vest. To his surprise, Suho genuinely laughed and told Chen that his mom had picked it out. He then proceeded to invite Chen to hang with him and a few others as they skived off to the arcade instead of sitting through a boring meeting at the Howling. It wasn't until much later that Chen found out that Suho had control over water, and that despite his kind and calm looks, was always one drop away from turning into a raging storm. Maybe that's why Chen was always so drawn to Suho; the older boy had remarkable patience and discipline over the unpredictability of water. Suho was a natural born leader, and unlike Chen, people seemed to like him immediately and flocked to him.

At first, Chen wanted to hate Suho for being everything he wasn't. He wanted to hate Suho, but he treated Chen just like he treated everyone else. He never got angry with Chen for not being able to control his temper sometimes. He never tried to tell him what to do or that he should try to be anything but himself. How could Chen hate a guy like Suho? It was why Chen didn't even need to think twice before joining up with Kris and the others. All of them had their hang-ups, their things that made them outcasts, even Suho. Without him even realizing it, Chen had been integrated into their little family, their pack, and he had never felt more at home than with them.

Maybe that's why he was so wary of Jinri at first. She reminded him of Suho in many ways. Everyone seemed to like her, she treated him like she treated everyone else, and she didn't seem to care that he was the way he was. He hated change, and by extension, when she first came into their lives, he hated her. When she had blown up at him that day in the kitchen, and they had their little heart to heart, he realized how silly he was being. He realized that he was treating her with the same wariness that he thought he'd grown out of. Luckily for him, she was quick to forgive, and even faster to forget, which he was grateful for. He could see why everyone else had warmed up to her so fast.

So with those thoughts, he found himself standing in front of Jinri's door, fist poised to knock.

"Chen?" He turned his head to see her walking up the stairs, towel draped around her neck, hair sticking to her sweaty forehead.

"Hey, Jinri," he said, drawing out her name. She gave him a weird look and scooted past him to get to her door. "Early morning workout?"

Jinri opened the door to her room and beckoned him inside. "I couldn't sleep last night. So I just got up and went to see if I could remember any of the stuff I learned in high school gymnastics. All I can do is a cartwheel." She laughed and threw the towel into the hamper at the foot of the bed. "What's up? Isn't it a little early for you to be up?"

"It’s going to storm today," he told her. "I didn't have your number so I thought I would just come warn you in person."

"Thanks for the update weather dot com," she teased, earning a grin from him. "I guess my chiffon ball gown is out of the question. Jeans and boots will have to do."

"I guess it's practicality over fashion today indeed," he quipped. "I was going to wear my alligator skin loafers, but the rain would absolutely destroy them." He flipped his hair out of his face haughtily, making Jinri laugh.

"Well, Mr. Weather man, I need to shower and get ready for breakfast. I don't want Kai and Sehun eat everything before I have a chance to get down there," She told him, shooing him out to the hallway. "Tell Kris that his darling little sister would like his leftovers for lunch."

Chen flashed a cheesy grin and closed the door behind him. Turning around, he gave a yelp of surprise as he found himself face to face with Sehun, who was standing right behind him and giving him a fierce glare.

"Hey, Sehun," Chen said, letting out a relieved sigh. "Did you get my text about the weather?"

"Hyung," the younger boy said slowly, his voice eerily calm. "What were you doing in Noona's room so early in the morning?" Chen suppressed a shiver. Sehun could be damn scary when he wanted to.

"I was just making sure she knew about the storm," Chen explained. "Don't get any weird ideas."

"She's pure," Sehun told him. "And you certainly wouldn't be the one she would compromise that purity for." Chen's eyes widened in shock at Sehun's direct statement.

"Ay, Sehunnie, when did you learn about that stuff?" Chen joked, ducking under Sehun's arm. "You don't have to worry about any of that. At least not from me!" With those last words, Chen bounded down the stairs, leaving Sehun confused and standing awkwardly in front of Jinri's door.

"That kiddo has been reading too much lately," Chen mumbled as he entered the kitchen. As expected, Kyungsoo was already up and cooking. The aroma of breakfast wafted around the room, and Chen resisted stealing a sausage off of a platter on the counter.

He took a seat at the table and played on his phone as Kyungsoo cooked and slowly but surely the other members of the household filed in for breakfast. As usual, breakfast was boisterous and loud, just the type of organized chaos that Chen liked. As expected, halfway through breakfast, there was a loud crack of thunder and rain began to pour from the skies.

"Hey, weather man. If all you're going to do is stare at that sausage, can I eat it?" Chanyeol asked,, his foirk poised over Chen's plate. Whacking his hand away, Chen growled playfully at Chanyeol.

"Steal someone else's food you giant," Chen told him, and hastily stuffed the remainder of his food in his mouth.

By the time everyone made it to school, Chen was practically glowing in happiness. He was particularly fond of the rain, but the electricity in the air was enough to make him feel super charged and refreshed. He felt on top of the world, and nothing short of nuclear fallout would put him in a bad mood. When he met up with Chanyeol and Jinri for lunch, Jinri even pointed out how good of a mood he was in.

"He's always like this when it storms," Chanyeol explained. "He's a living semiconductor, so any high levels of energy turn him into the energizer bunny."

"Well, whatever it takes to get your rocks off," Jinri grinned. She had been looking forward to her lunch with the pair; the earlier part of her day had not gone so well.

Upon arriving on campus, she found that her locker had been vandalized, with a very strongly worded note taped to it. She had forgotten her sketchbook on her desk, and when she finally made it Mythologies class, she was informed that she and Luhan were the furthest behind with their projects, and only had a week to finish it and present it to the class. To make matters worse, she had bumped into the twins, and Jin was still treating her as if the past ten years of their friendship meant nothing because she was now friends with "The Twelve Princes."

So her lunch with the super energized Chen, and goofy giant Chanyeol was a much needed break from the stress of her morning. She joked with them and even considered skipping her afternoon class to hang out with them in the computer lab. Henry had texted her at the beginning of lunch to confirm that they would be training that night. She was still a little nervous, given last night's revelation about her magic, but she was hopeful that it wouldn't interfere with her ability to train.

"Jinri? Are you ready for class?" Chanyeol was looking at her in concern. Both he and Chen had already cleared their lunches and were just waiting for her to pack up her things. How long had she been spacing out?

"Oh, yeah sorry, just got distracted," She told them with a smile, gathering up her things. "Luhan is going to meet me at the class, so you guys can go first." She could see they were hesitant to leave her by herself; even though they knew she was more than capable to protect herself, the instinct to guard her was strong. With a little more urging, and a big smile, she shooed them away and began the trek to her classroom.

The time alone gave her some room to think a little more about what was to come. After speaking with Saedemia, she decided that she would no longer dwell on the fact that things were complicated beyond belief. Right now, her focus was on impr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter