Blinding

Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Florence and the Machine - Blinding

Ch 18 – No More Dreaming Like a Girl So in Love with the Wrong World

Kris eyed Jinri warily from his position at the base of the stairs. She was asleep on the couch. He had come down for a midnight snack and found her still sleeping in the same spot where Chanyeol had left her a few hours earlier. The TV still on, but muted, so he assumed she had been waiting for the commercials to end and had fallen asleep. She looked like a little kid as she hugged one of the throw pillows and her hair splayed out and over the arm of the couch. He wanted to move her to her own bed, but she looked so comfortable. If he didn't move her, she'd wake with a terrible backache and a cramp in her neck.

He sighed and walked over to the couch. Hopefully she wouldn't wake up. He slipped one arm under her legs, the other under her neck and carefully lifted her up. The blanket slipped off and she let out a little moan at the sudden loss of warmth. Kris froze for a second as she snuggled into his chest, seeking to replace the heat.

She barely weighs anything, he thought as he took slow, deliberate steps back to the stairs. It took some maneuvering, but he finally made it to her room and deposited her gently on the bed. Just as he turned away to leave, he heard a small voice call out a name he hadn't heard in a long time.

"Jiji! Look, stars! "

Kris stood rigid for a moment, waiting for her to say more. But she simply mumbled incoherently before rolling over and sinking deeper into the blankets.

It wasn't until he was back in his room and under his own blankets did he allow himself to shed a tear of frustration and regret. He slept fitfully that night.

---------------------

The next morning found Jinri being woken with a on the hand she had hanging off the edge of her bed. When she finally opened her eyes to scold whoever decided to wake her in such a manner, she saw a fluffy cinnamon colored wolf staring back at her, wagging his tail as if he really was a domesticated house pet.

"I don't know which one you are, but next time just give me a good shake, okay?" she grumbled, getting out of bed. She hadn't seen everyone's wolf form, so she made a mental note to do that that next time they were all together. The wolf simply waited as she stood stretching for a moment.

“If I had to take a wild guess,” she mused, crouching down before her transformed friend. “I’d say that this is Kai. Too red to be Sehun, and that look in your eye…” She flinched back in surprise as the wolf in question gave a small yip, which she took to mean that she had guessed right.

“Well, out you go, Houdini,” she admonished. “I don’t need an audience to get ready for classes.” She could almost swear that the animal before her grinned, but he bounded out of the door before she could pluck him on the nose or something.

She got ready relatively quickly. She made it down to the kitchen where breakfast was in various stages of completion, with each person having picked something different to consume.

“Good morning!” She chirped, burying her head in the fridge in search of a carton of eggs. She missed the confused look that passed between the members. Having quickly figured out that the eggs weren’t there, she grabbed an apple from the crisper and set about slicing it.

“I assume the reason you’re a ball of sunshine this morning is because you don’t have any classes?” Chen asked through a mouthful of cereal. They were on much better terms, but that didn’t mean he lost any of his wit. Jinri rolled her eyes, but gave him a little smirk in return.

“Better a ball of sunshine, than a wad of wet napkins,” she taunted back. “And no, that’s not the reason. Problems like the fate of the world aren’t going to solve themselves, and it’s no use sulking about it, either.” Her expression softened, and Chen nodded in understanding.

“Besides, Luhan and I have to finish this a project,” She noticed that the boy in question hadn’t yet appeared in the kitchen. “On – how ironic is this? – werewolves!” She saw a couple of amused smirks.

“So Luhan is the reason for your good mood, eh Noona?” Kai teased, and Jinri blushed as some of the others tried and failed to hide their laughter at her expression.

“Good morning,” Luhan greeted sleepily as he entered the kitchen. It was silent for a moment as he noticed the red on Jinri’s face. “…Are you okay?” He hazarded, and then the whole kitchen was filled with laughter. Luhan, sorely confused, just shook his head and fixed himself a bowl of cereal.

“You guys are ridiculous,” Jinri huffed and took her sliced apple with her out of the kitchen. She went back to her room and packed her bag, munching thoughtfully on the apple.

She liked Luhan, sure; but as more than friends? She didn’t know. I mean, Kai was just teasing, but it did bother her, even if just a little. In her whole life, she hadn’t really crushed on anyone. She admired, she looked up to and she envied; but she never crushed. It wasn’t as if she hadn’t thought about it. She definitely knew an attractive male when she saw one. And she certainly got all the feelings of a girl in like with someone. But she never let it get further than simple appreciation – she simply never had the time, and her energies were going elsewhere. Now, that was a gross understatement, what with the fate of the country on her shoulders.

She smiled sadly and shook her head. It was silly to her, that she should be thinking of something like this. It never concerned her before, and now a teasing comment from her dongsaeng had her blushing like an idiot and worried over nothing. Her last thought on the matter before heading back downstairs, was that if she were going to have a crush on anyone, she would rather it be one of the pack. 

_______________

Jinri and Luhan were in the library doing research for the project they still had yet to really start. Granted, since the subject was werewolves, and something they had a very obvious personal connection to, it would be easier for them. However, the reality of werewolves and the myth of them were far removed from each other.

Just a few weeks ago, Jinri would have laughed in your face had you told her werewolves and magic and witches were real. Now, she was neck-deep in it, and couldn’t deny it anymore.

Luhan was casting surreptitious glances at Jinri every now and again, trying to read the rather solid mask of nonchalance she’d been wearing since their pack meeting yesterday. Luhan knew she needed, and wanted, to be alone – or at least didn’t want to see much of him after he snapped at her yesterday – he was willing to give her that space, but it didn’t mean that he wasn’t going to worry about her.

“Jinri,” he whispered, trying to pull her attention away from the book she was engrossed in. “Do you want to go get some bubble tea?” She didn’t even look up at him.

“No thanks,” she mumbled, turning the page. “We’ve already waited long enough to start this project; I’d rather get it done and over with before-” She stopped abruptly and finally looked up at him. Their eyes locked and she smiled sadly.

“What is it?” Luhan asked, and she shook her head in response.

“It’s just,” she started slowly. “I guess I never realized how hard you guys try to make the best of a ty situation. I think I might like that bubble tea, after all.” Much to Luhan’s surprise, Jinri began to pack up her things. He quickly followed her lead and gathered his things.

“Should we tell the others where we’re going so they don’t worry?” She asked as they left the library. Luhan hoped she didn’t notice his brief look of panic before he responded.

“No, it’s fine,” he told her. “It’s just within walking distance; we won’t be long.” She considered this for a moment, then shrugged and fell into step with him as he led her off campus. Honestly, he just wanted a couple of moments alone with her.

“What kind are you going to get?” Jinri asked him suddenly.

“Huh?”

“Bubble tea; that is the purpose of this little trip, right?” She teased lightly. “So what kind are you going to get? I think I might try peach.”

“Oh, right,” Luhan laughed. “Sorry. I think I might get chocolate or banana. Or maybe even mix them.” Jinri pulled a face, and Luhan laughed.

“I am not a big fan of either of those to begin with, so to mix them is just plain weird,” Jinri told him, much to his amusement. “I like the sweet fruity flavors the best.”

“Sehun’s favorite is chocolate,” he told her as they rounded a corner. “He always wants to come here.”

“We’ll all have to come together then,” Jinri said matter-of-factly. “He’s such a sweetheart. Quiet, but kind. And he adores you, you know.” Luhan nodded, blushing a bit.

“He’s my favorite dongsaeng,” Luhan said with a smile. Jinri faked hurt, and punched him the arm playfully.

“I thought I was your favorite dongsaeng!” she joked.

“No- I mean, you are but- Sehun and I have- well, I like you, but not like- yes- I mean-” He sputtered, turning bright red and looking like a deer caught in headlights. He waved his hands frantically in protest, and Jinri laughed, grabbing his hands in an attempt to calm him down.

“Relax, Luhan,” she was grinning a bit, and he realized he was being teased. That was a good sign.

“I’m sorry about yesterday you know,” he said quietly, bringing the conversation to a more serious tone. “I was venting my frustrations at the wrong person.”

“It’s okay,” Jinri responded, a brief flicker of pain flashing across her face. “You should have seen my face when Taemin told me the whole story. I was nothing short of a bridge troll.”

“You could never look like a bridge troll,” Luhan corrected automatically. “Bridge trolls are ugly and you aren’t.” Realizing what he said, but determined not to be shy, he only allowed his ears to turn br

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter