Snapped

Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The relative feeling of normal Jinri had managed to maintain up until present was rapidly giving way to a sick feeling building in her stomach. She found an empty classroom to take refuge in. She knew that with all of the Pack as her personal guard, she wouldn’t be alone for long, but some time alone was better than none.

She swiped angrily at her tears. She realized her crying was justified – she had essentially just lost her two best friends – but she was still angry with herself for getting so worked up in public. She hardly ever let people see her vulnerable side (demon possessing incidences notwithstanding). For some reason, despite all that had happened in the past few days, she thought that maybe she could have a balance between the world she’d known and the world that was now her reality. Acceptance would come, she told herself. Too bad she didn’t believe it just yet.

“Am I going to have to beat someone up for you?”

In the doorway stood Tao, who, despite the small grin had a dangerous look in his eye. She shook her head and gave him a small smile. He took the seat next to her and leaned back in the chair, balancing it on the back legs.

“It’s hard isn’t it?” She asked him quietly. “All of you are admired by most, loved by some even. Yet no matter how much you want to believe that their world and your world – our world – is the same, it isn’t. And it never will be.”

“I wouldn’t call it admiration or love,” he said after a moment. “Fear? Definitely. People fear what they don’t know. Like your friends; they hate us right? It’s nothing we aren’t used to.” The eyes he looked at her with were so sad she wanted to start crying again.

“This ,” she muttered. Tao’s grin returned and he chuckled.

“You’re as eloquent as ever, Noona,” he said. “You didn’t eat did you? So I got you some food.” From his messenger bag, he retrieved a little lunch box. Inside was a small serving of the leftovers from yesterday’s dinner. She smiled at him gratefully.

“Thanks, Tao,” she accepted. She ate in silence as Tao napped with his head on the desk. When she was finished, she neatly back the lunch box in her own things, and pulled out the box she had been given by Lay earlier.

Inside was a cellphone with a little wolf charm on it, and a note from Taemin.

Jinri!

I thought you might like one of these. I picked it out myself – isn’t it cool? I put everyone’s numbers in already. See you :3

Taeminnie

She smiled and put in her pocket. It wasn’t her first cell phone, but it was considerably fancier than her last one. She was grateful, for it would let her keep in touch with everyone, but she wasn’t sure how she would return the favor. Maybe he would like sweets? He seemed like the type.

Glancing at the clock, she realized that class would be starting soon, and she needed to get going. Rousing Tao, they left the class together, walking in the direction of Jinri’s class. Tao, who was done for the day, left her with Luhan, who was already at the classroom.

“You’re okay?” He asked, already having heard of the incident with the Twins.

“No, but I will be eventually,” she said, sliding into the seat next to him. “We have a lot of work to do on our project don’t we?”

“Not as much as you might think,” Luhan replied, the subject change not lost on him. “But we do have to start soon. We have to submit a progress report next Friday.” At that moment, the professor walked in and the lecture began.

Throughout the whole class, Jinri got the distinct feeling that she was being watched. Knowing that it wasn’t one of the Pack, she surreptitiously looked around, trying to spy who was looking at her. Nothing seemed out of place, but then again, nothing seemed two out of place the last time she’d gotten that feeling.

When the bell rang, she and Luhan took their time, gathering their things. The teacher had asked Luhan to stay behind for a moment, so Jinri left first. However, she barely made it three steps out of the door when a group of girls called her out.

“Yah, Yeon Jinri!”

With only mild interest, she turned in their direction, arching an eyebrow at what she assumed were supposed to be their intimidating stares.

“Yes?” She asked, her tone bored. She was quite sure what their purpose in calling her out was, but she was curious to see how this would go. “Can I help you with something?”

“You’d better know your place,” One of the girls said, her tinny voice sounding decidedly unfrightening. “Who are you to the Princes, anyway?”

“Is that any of your business? Who are you that it matters?” She responded. “You know what, don’t even answer that. I don’t care.” She turned the opposite direction, headed towards her original destination.

“We’re not done here!” Another girl said and grabbed Jinri’s arm. Maybe it was a result of the lunchtime fiasco, or a compilation of the whole week’s stress storm. Whatever the case, Jinri snapped at that moment, and rounded on the girl, slapping her arm away with a force that sent the girl stumbling back a few steps.

“Don't. Touch. Me.” Jinri hissed, her eyes darkening. “I don’t know who you think you are, but you have no right to act all high and mighty with me. If I want to be with Luhan and his friends, then I will do it without your input. You think that by raising them to your imaginary status of Princes that they will notice you and want to be with you? Keep dreaming. People like you – shallow, insecure and unintelligent – are the ones who should stay away.”

“Is everything alright here, Jinri?” Luhan asked, stepping out of the classroom and taking in the situation. Jinri cut her eyes at the girls one last time before looking at Luhan.

“Not at all,” she said through gritted teeth. “I was just leaving.” She stalked off down the hall, the anger bubbling inside of her. Luhan turned his eyes on the group of girls, who cowered under his gaze.

“Desperation is hardly becoming of a lady,” he began, with a pointed look at one girl with a particularly revealing outfit. “If Jinri is ever hurt because of one of you, I will know, and you won’t like what I’ll do as a result. Have a nice weekend.” And with that, he followed Jinri. The girls, some of whom were close to tears, scattered, their cliché high school intimidation tactics a complete failure.

Meanwhile, Jinri was fuming out near the front circle, pacing and swiping at angry tears. She was glad she at least held it together for as long as she did, and promised herself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter