Hot and Cold

Howl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinri flopped back on the grass, relishing in the cool feeling of the damp earth. Henry stood above her, a grin on his face.

"You're a fast learner," he told her, handing her a water bottle. She managed a tired grin and froze the bottle a little to make it colder. Henry raised an eyebrow at her. "That's a handy party trick."

"What kind of magic do you have exactly?" She had been curious since they had met. It was obvious that he had some magical ability, but he had revealed to her before that he was not the one whose magic was creating the course that they trained on.

"I'm more of a magnifier," he said, taking a seat next to her. "My pack is fairly small, just five members beside myself, and only three of them have any magic that would be good in battle. So I act as amplification so that we have coverage for our weaknesses."

"I see," Jinri murmured. Truthfully, she was disturbed at the way Henry talked about his powers and his pack. It was almost as if he saw them as mere soldiers, and not a family, or at the very least friends. It was so unfeeling, and honestly, it made her reflect on her own relationship with her pack.

"You're powers are special, obviously," Henry continued, not seeming to notice her discomfort. "You're the Chosen One, so obviously, you're a lot stronger than you would be normally. Right now, you are not only an amplifier for your pack, you can mimic their abilities." Once again, Henry failed to notice Jinri's pensive look, and her unease.

"If I wasn't this... Chosen One, I would just have been a regular amplifier for the guys powers?" She asked him. She was almost glad he didn't realize how callous and detached he sounded when talking about this stuff. That meant he wouldn't hold back and would hopefully be completely honest about how things worked.

"I believe you would. It's hard to say since there wasn't really any time to evaluate your skills under normal circumstances." Henry stood up and pointed to a tree a few feet away that had burn marks snaking up the trunk. "Even though I'm a Tamer, and I can amplify my packs abilities, I can't mimic. I've tried and all I end up with is a headache. What you can do... You have a natural talent for it, and are doing so well in your training. You'll be excellent in a fight. How's training with your pack going?"

Jinri shrugged, her mind reeling with all this new information. "It's going well, I guess. I'm working on precision with them, too." She absentmindedly waved her hand and a tendril of lightning shot out and hit the tree. "It's getting easier." She didn't want to tell him about what happened when she messed with the magic threads connected to her core. She had a feeling that if she told him, he would want to see, and she did not want to fool around with the pack's magic like that without permission.

"You should be training with them at least twice a week. Go on runs, get used to them in wolf form," Henry told her. "The more you understand how they work as a pack, the easier it will be for you to come up with strategies and integrate into them." Jinri wanted to tell him that he was integrating just fine. She was surprised at how different Henry sounded from when she first met him. Before, he was stern but helpful; now it just seemed like he was focused on fighting and winning the war. She knew it was important, but she wasn't just going to dive into this ultra-violence headfirst.

"Well that's it for training today," Henry said as he stood. "Let's get you home and I'll see you on Sunday." Jinri stood, grabbed his arm, and in an instant she was standing in her room. With a sigh, she dropped her bag on the floor and immediately prepared for a shower.

Once she was finished, she wandered down out to the backyard. The guys hadn't yet come back from their run and she wanted to explore the area around the house a little more. She knew that the property was on the edge of the city and stretched out for about a quarter a mile in all directions, because the boys obviously needed the space to run and be in wolf form without fear of discovery. She just headed for the thick of trees at the edge of the backyard and began her little adventure.

As she walked, she noticed how it seemed that the branches on the trees seemed to arch out of her way so she could see ahead of her. Several times it seemed as if the wind was blowing little sticks and leaves out her path. It was an odd feeling being in this forest, like something was compelling her forward. A shiver ran down her back and she glanced behind her. For a moment, she could feel a pair of eyes watching her from a distance.

She was surprised that she hadn't encountered any of her pack. There was a lot of land, but from what Kyungsoo had told her, they usually did loops, and often times covered the whole plot of land during one run. She put that out of her mind however, when she came upon a clearing. Upon first glance, it seemed normal enough. There was a ring of trees around the edge, and in the middle there was single tree that had sprouted up. It was still a sapling, and Jinri thought it looked a little cute, it's branches and trees reaching up to the sky to taking in the sunlight. She approached it carefully, and once she was close enough she brushed a finger over one of it's leaves.

Suddenly, the familiar feeling of teleportation tugged at her and she found herself once more in a clearing, in front of a tree. This time the tree was huge, with 12 giant arching branches and thick succulent leaves.

"The Tree of Life," she whispered, recalling the dream she had a few days ago. It looked much more imposing than before, it's twelve branches were thick and sturdy and healthy.

You've finally found me.

The voice echoed in her mind like it had the first time. Jinri shivered; the voice was smooth and calming and resonated through every fiber as her being.

Don't be afraid. Please, sit.

A chair made of roots and grasses sprung from the earth and Jinri hesitantly took a seat. was dry and she couldn't think of anything to say.

"Why did you lead me here?" She finally asked, unsure of where to direct her gaze on the big tree trunk.

You needed to remember and to understand.

The leaves of the tree shook with the wind and the sound was sad, making Jinri feel wistful.

"Remember what?"

You have lived a long and hard life, Yeon Jinri. But this is not the only life you've lived. In order to live this life to its fullest, you must remember the lives you have already lived.

Jinri stayed silent. If she hadn't been so shocked at what a magical tree had just told her, she would have laughed. Could her situation get more ridiculous?

It is understandable that you do not believe me. You have no reason to believe me. So I will show you. I will show you and you will remember.

Once again, Jinri felt the tug behind her belly button. When she opened her eyes, she was in a room, clearly decorated as a child’s nursery.

Before she knew could react, the door to nursery opened and a thin woman bustled in. In one arm, she held an infant swaddled in blankets. In the other, she held the hand of a little girl. Jinri couldn't explain it, but she somehow knew that the baby the woman held was Sehun. To her surprise, the woman didn't even notice her presence and walked right through her. She laid the baby Sehun in the crib and exited the room with the little girl. Jinri followed them to the little girl's room, unsure of why the Tree was showing her this.

"Sekyung, you are special," the girl’s mother was telling her. "You are going to be very strong when you grow up, and you are going to make mommy and daddy very proud of you." Jinri furrowed her brows. The little girl couldn't have been more than four years old and already her mother was putting such pressure on her.

"What about Sehunnie?" the little girl asked. The woman shook her head.

"You must look out for your brother, so he can grow big and be strong, too." The woman gathered the child in her arms and hugged her before tucking her into bed.

The edges of Jinri's vision began to blur and she was suddenly standing in what looked to be a scho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter