Chapter 2

Hear Me, Love Me

The week went by normal enough even though you couldn't get Misun out of your mind. Of course you thought of her often anyways but whatever it was that she wasn't telling you only made you worry more. Finally Wednesday night came and you relaxed after work on the couch, waiting for your phone call. The show on the television droned on with you only paying a little bit of attention to it. Then the phone rang and you sat up real fast, quickly answering it.
"Hello."
"Hi mommy."
You smiled at the sound of your daughter's voice. "Hey baby. How are you ?"
"Good."
Relief washed over you. "So are you having fun at daddy's?"
"Yeah." she answered. "Daddy made me pancakes and they were mickey mouse."
"Mickey mouse pancakes!" you exclaimed in mock surprise and she giggled.
"Yeah!"
You closed your eyes as you smiled brightly. "Well I'm glad you're having a good time."
"Yeah." she said in her cute, little voice.
Then you heard a woman's voice in the background.
"Heeyung says it's time for dinner." Misun informed you. "And she said if I eat it all, I can have ice cream."
"That sounds good. Make sure you eat all your dinner then." you told her.
"Okay."
"I love you." you quickly said.
"I love you mommy."
Then there was silence on the phone before you heard Yongguk's voice. "Hey."
"Hey." you said. "Misun's okay, right?"
His tone instantly changed. "Of course she is. Why wouldn't she be okay with me?"
"It's not that." you said, trying to hide the annoyance in your voice. "When she.."
"I have to go." he interrupted. "We're having dinner." Then the line disconnected.
You stared at your phone in disbelief for a moment before groaning and tossing it back down. Just like Yongguk.


Sunday morning and you arrived at Yongguk's apartment. You knocked on the front door and waited until Heeyung opened it.
"Hello." you politely greeted her as you stepped into the living room.
"Hi." she replied.
"Mommy!" Misun hopped off the couch and ran to you, grabbing your leg.
"Hey baby." you said with a chuckle and knelt down. "You ready to go?"
"Yeah." she said and hurried back to the couch to grab her bag.
"You have everything?" you asked her.
Instead of Misun answering, Heeyung said, "Yes, she is ready on time."
You looked over at her but bit your tongue. You were not in the mood to argue and especially not with your ex-husband's girlfriend. "Where's Yongguk?"
"It's Sunday morning." she retorted. "He's at work like he always is. You should know that by now."
You took a deep breath and forced a smile on your face. "Right. Of course." You turned to Misun. "Ready?"
"Yep." she said and took your hand.
You said goodbye to Heeyung and hurried Misun out the door. The sooner you got out of there the better before you'd say something you would regret. Well not regret exactly, but another excuse for Yongguk to yell at you.

You observed your daughter carefully throughout the day but whatever was worrying her the previous week seemed to be gone. She was her happy, hyper self. Even when she talked to her daddy on Wednesday and laughed with him over the phone.
Then Saturday night, you were packing her bag as she was putting her pyjamas on.
"Is this everything you're taking to daddy's?" you asked.
"And Dolly but I want sleep with her." she told you.
You smiled at her. "That's fine. Did you brush your teeth already?"
"Yep." she proudly stated and grinned widely so you could see her teeth.
"That's my good girl." you said and rubbed your nose against hers.
She giggled and jumped in to bed. You read her the bedtime story she picked out and then tucked her in.
"Are you excited to go to daddy's?" you asked her while putting the book away.
"Yeah."
You stopped and turned to her, noting the slight sadness in her voice. "That didn't sound very excited."
She didn't say anything as her fingers played with her doll's hair.
"Baby girl." you softly said and kneeled on the floor. "What is it?"
"I don't want to go to daddy's." she quietly confessed.
You raised your eyebrows in surprise. "Oh? I thought you liked going to daddy's."
"Yeah."
"Then why don't you want to go now?"
She was silent for a while before she whispered, "I don't want to."
You sighed and ran your hand through her hair. "I'm sorry honey. But you know you have to right? Mommy's not allowed to keep you all the time." That was the best you could do to explain the custody agreement to her.
"I know." she said. Then she let out a big yawn.
"Get some sleep baby girl." you told her and kissed her head. "Love you."
"Love you mommy."