Chapter 4

Hear Me, Love Me

As soon as you got Misun home, you tried to interrogate her in round-about way and as nicely as possible. Despite her happy smiles and answers, you couldn't help but feel that something was still wrong. So on Monday when you got off work, you didn't pick her up from the daycare right away. Instead you went and bought a cheap, little flip-phone for her to put in her backpack. You programmed your number for the number 2 speed dial and then showed her how to use it that night.
"Ok try it." you said.
Her little fingers hit the 2 and then the green button before bringing it up to her ear. Your phone started ringing and you answered it. "Hi."
She giggled and the sound echoed through the phone before you hung up.
"If you have any problem at daddy's, you call me. Okay?"
She nodded her head. "Okay."

The week went by and everything seemed fine. That is, until Saturday night. You read her a story and tucked her in before walking out of the room. You busied yourself quietly and then you heard noises coming from her room. Turning your head to the side curiously, you silently tip-toed to her bedroom door. It was opened about 3 inches and you heard her more clearly as your heart flipped.
"Baby." you said and pushed the door open, quickly moving to her. "What's wrong?" you questioned as you knelt down.
She turned her head to face you and you saw the evidence for yourself. She was crying.
"Honey." you said, hiding the worry in your voice and placing a hand on her. "What is it?"
She sobbed for a little bit more as she hiccuped. "I don't want to go to daddy's." she whined.
"Come here." you said and held your arms out.
Immediately she threw herself at you and you held her tightly. "It's okay baby, it's okay." you soothed. "Want to lay with mommy?"
"Yeah." came a meek little reply.
You lifted her up and carried her into your bedroom. Then you ran around the apartment and turned off the lights before climbing in to bed with her. She cuddled close to you as you ran your hand through her hair for several minutes.
"Can you tell me what's wrong?" you ventured.
"I don't want to go to daddy's." she said again.
"I know that honey." you said. "But why?" She didn't say anything so you your lips nervously. "Is daddy mean to you?"
"No." she quietly stated.
A deep breath. "Is Heeyung mean to you?"
No reply.
You closed your eyes as your heart sunk. "Misun, please. I can't help you if you don't tell me."
An eternity seemed to pass before she finally confessed, "Heeyung's mean to me."
You shifted in the bed so the two of you were facing each other. "How?"
"She yells at me all the time."
You reached out and toyed with her hair reassuringly. "What does daddy do when she yells at you?"
"Nothing."
You inhaled sharply and stared at her in shock. "Daddy lets her yell at you?"
"Daddy's gone when she yells."
You exhaled the breath you had been holding. Yongguk wasn't letting it happened, he didn't know. "So he doesn't know. Why don't you tell daddy?"
"Cause daddy likes Heeyung."
"Oh baby doll." you uttered. "Daddy loves you. He loves you very, very much. He'd never let her yell at you if he knew."
She laid there for a while and you knew she was thinking. Then she looked at you with wide eyes. "Do I have to go?"
That question just about tore you in two because you didn't want to answer it. There was no way you could get a hold of a social worker on the weekend and if you refused to let Yongguk take her, he could call the cops on you since you didn't have full custody. Never before have you wished you did as much as you do now instead of joint custody.
"I'm sorry." you said, not being able to stop your voice from cracking. "Mommy would get in a lot of trouble."
"Okay." she quietly accepted.
"I'll try to talk to daddy tomorrow." you offered though you knew it would be futile. He already accused you of being jealous of Heeyung and this new confession from Misun would be dismissed just as quickly.

In the morning, you made Misun breakfast and practiced using the phone a few more times. Then had her hurry to get ready while you sat in the living room and waited for Yongguk. You practiced everything you wanted to say but you were still nervous about his reaction. Things never went well when you two were together.
A knock on the door and you let Yongguk inside. "Hey." you greeted him as he walked. "We need to talk."
"Yeah we do." he said as he glared at you.
You blinked at him in surprise as you fumbled with your words, "Oh. Yeah. Um... Well, last ni.."
"Why are you being a to my girlfriend?"
You stopped and stared at him. "What?"
"Heeyung told me how you treat her when you go over to pick up Misun. The snide remarks and looks you give her."
You let out a small scoff. "You got to be kidding me." you uttered to no one in particular.
"I can say the same thing. Why are you so intent on hurting me?" he accused angrily
"I'm not trying to hurt you!" you retorted. "I'm trying to tell you what's going on but you don't listen. You don't listen to anyone!"
"And you don't care about anyone!" he fired back. "You only think about yourself."
"That is not true." you growled at him. Then you closed your eyes and shook your head in frustration. "And this doesn't even matter. We need.."
"That's exactly what I'm saying." he insisted. "It doesn't matter to you. Nothing abo.."
"She's mean to her." you quickly declared, interrupting him.
He gave you a confused look. "Huh?"
You took a deep breath. "Misun told me that Heeyung is mean to her."
He looked away as his jaw clenched and his hands balled in to fist. Then he looked at you once more with a hard glare. "I've seen them together and Heeyung is good with her. So stop with the ing lies."
"Yong.."
"I know the only reason you're doing this is to hurt me." he continued, his tone harsh. "It's my visitation and I am taking my daughter." He took a threatening step forward and you felt cold fear grip you as he snarled. "And I dare you to try and stop me." Then he turned and hurried out of the living room, down the hallway.
You took a shaky breath and quickly wiped at the single tear that managed to free itself. Then Yongguk reappeared again with Misun in his arms.
"Mommy." Misun said as she saw you.
"It's okay honey." you quickly reassured and reached for her.
Yongguk kept walking past you though towards the front door. You chased after him and managed to just briefly touch her hand as she reached out for you.
"I love you!" you called out before the door slammed shut.
You stared at it as you felt your chest constrict. Then your legs gave out as you fell to the floor and started crying, gasping for air.