Chapter 3

Hear Me, Love Me

Sunday morning and you were doing your best to hurry Misun along. No matter what you did though, she kept dragging her feet and you prepared to face his wrath. You were hoping to have her ready in time so you could take a moment to talk to Yongguk about what your daughter confessed last night. But now it seemed like it was going to be hard to talk to him. Well, harder than usual.
"Hey." Yongguk curtly greeted as he walked into your apartment.
"Hey yourself." you replied before calling out, "Misun! Daddy's here!"
"She's not ready again?" he questioned and gave you a discerning eye.
You ignored the question. "We have to talk about something."
"It'll have to wait." he told you dismissively as he checked the time.
"It's important."
"I don't.."
"Misun told me she doesn't want to go with you." you blurted out.
He finally stopped and looked at you, confused. "What?"
"That's what she told me last night." you informed him. "When I was putting her to bed."
Then he narrowed his eyes suspiciously at you. "Why?"
You raised your eyebrows at him and crossed your arms. "I don't know. She wouldn't tell me."
He scoffed. "I swear if this is your way of keeping her away from me..."
Your mouth dropped open as you stared at him in disbelief. "What?!"
"I wouldn't put it past you." he stated with a shrug of his shoulders.
"You have got to be kidding me." you scoffed.
"Then why are you doing this?" he questioned.
"I'm not!" you declared. "I'm telling the truth."
"There's no reason why she wouldn't want to come with me unless you had something to do with it." he accused.
Your hands balled in to fists as you gritted your teeth. "Why do you never listen to me?!"
"And what kind of things is she listening to you say? What do you say about me during your visits? Or about..." He stopped and stared at you, pondering. "I can't ing believe this." he uttered.
"Oh what now?" you groaned.
He eyed you up and down. "Are you really that spiteful to be jealous of my girlfriend?"
You let out a disgusted noise. "Oh my goodness. Don't flatter yourself. This is not about Heeyung." Then you stopped and pondered something as well. Was this about Heeyung? Yongguk was quick to anger and stubborn as a mule, but he'd never treat his daughter horribly. Heeyung did seem to be good with her but was there more to it?
"I'm ready."
The two of you turned to see Misun standing by the hallway with her backpack and her doll.
"Sweetheart." Yongguk said, his tone soft and gentle. "You ready to go with daddy?"
"Yeah." she told him with a little smile, any trace of unwillingness gone.
A smile formed on his face. "Alright. Let's go." He took her hand and walked to the front door with her. He opened it and Misun walked out as he turned to look at you, his glare cold and hard. "Don't ever try to take my daughter from me." he threatened in a low voice. Then he closed the door behind him.
Your head rolled back as you closed your eyes and then you sat down on the couch. You placed your head in your hands as a few tears of frustration leaked out and you breathed in several shaky breaths. "You ." you accused to the empty room. "I would never do that to you."


This week went slower than the last as you waited frantically for your Wednesday night phone call. You sat on the couch without the noise of the television this time as you stared at your phone, stealing nervous glances at the clock.
When it rang, you picked it up on the first ring. "Hello?"
"Hi mommy."
You closed your eyes and took a shaky breath. "Baby. Hi. How are you?"
"I'm okay." she told you.
"That's good. I miss you."
"I miss you too."
You your lips nervously. "Are you having fun?"
"Yeah."
You smiled. "Has daddy made you mickey mouse pancakes?"
She didn't say anything for a moment and your heart skipped a beat. "No." she quietly stated. "No pancakes."
"Oh." you said in surprise.
Then you heard someone in the background before Misun's voice came through the phone. "Daddy says he'll make me pancakes tomorrow." she told you, her tone much brighter.
"Yay." you cheered and heard her giggle.
Another voice in the background. "I got to go." she told you.
"Okay. I love you." you quickly say.
"I love you mommy."
Then the line went dead.


Sunday morning and you raced over to Yongguk's apartment, hoping to show up early enough to actually talk to him this time before he had to work. When you knocked on the front door though, it was Heeyung that answered again.
"You're early." she stated as she let you in.
"Yeah. I wanted to talk to Yongguk." you informed her.
"He already left for work."
You blinked in surprise. "Already?"
"Mommy!" Misun ran out of the hallway and across the living room to hug you.
"He's been working a lot lately." she told you with a shrug. "I'll get her bag."
"Thank you." you politely said and then smiled down at Misun. "You miss me?"
"Yes!" she proclaimed and smiled at you.
You instantly bent down and picked her up, hugging her and kissing her cheeks as she giggled.
Heeyung walked back into the living room and handed over the little backpack.
"Thank you." you repeated before leaving.