Chapter 8

Hear Me, Love Me

The next day, you arrived home after picking Misun up from daycare. You asked Misun if she wanted to go with her dad or stay home again. She wanted to stay so you started a dinner for three people. When Yongguk showed up, you let him in and informed him of Misun's decision.
"Oh really?" he asked.
You shrugged your shoulders. "That's what she said. I hope you don't mind."
"No." he said. "If that's what she wants."
"Daddy, come have a tea party please." she begged, pulling on his arm.
He chuckled and allowed her to drag him down the hall to her room. Then you managed to check on dinner for 5 seconds before you were being dragged away as well. The three of you had a wonderful tea party, four if you counted Dolly, until it was time to eat. Then Yongguk volunteered to wash the dishes while you helped give Misun a bath. Afterwards, a quick movie and then bedtime.
"Do you want mommy or daddy to read you a story?" you asked her as you pulled the blanket over her.
"Hmmm... Daddy." she decided.
"Alright." you told her with a smile and kissed her head. Then you turned to Yongguk. "You're up."
He sat on the floor by her bed and grabbed the book she picked out. As he started reading, you left and took a real quick shower before changing in to your pyjamas. When you walked down the hall, you heard Misun and Yongguk talking. You smiled and kept walking but stopped real fast.
"Are you and mommy boyfriend and girlfriend?"
You stepped closer to the doorway and leaned against the wall so you could listen without being seen.
"Why are you asking that?"
"Because you're here." she reasoned.
"This is just temporary." he explained. "Heeyung is going to live somewhere else and when she leaves daddy's place, things will go back to normal."
"Okay. That's good."
You froze and held your breath.
"What do mean 'that's good'?" Yongguk questioned.
"I don't want you and mommy together."
You closed your eyes and swallowed.
"Why?"
"Cause you hate each other."
You heard Yongguk stutter for a moment, "We don't hate each other."
"But Heeyung said she hated me and she yelled at me. And you and mommy yell at each other."
"She... said that?" You didn't have to see his face to know how much that hurt him.
"Yeah." Misun lamented.
"Oh baby girl. I'm so sorry about that." he sincerely told her. "But with me and mommy, it doesn't mean we hate each other."
"Then why do you yell all the time?"
It was silent for a while before he replied, "It's... hard to explain."
"So you don't hate mommy?"
His answer came much quicker this time, "No. Of course not. I don't hate mommy at all."
"Does mommy hate daddy?"
Silence once more. "I... I don't know. Maybe."
That's when you felt a pain in your chest and your eyes water, barely listening to their conversation anymore.
"I don't think so."
"Well... I hope you're right." he said. "Now get some sleep sweatheart."
"Okay."

A noise by the doorway made you jump and remember where you were. Then you hurried down the hallway, past the living room, and into the kitchen. Only then did the person chasing after you managed to catch you.
Yongguk turned you around real fast and he inspected your wet face. Then he met your gaze and you read the question in his eyes. Silently asking you if you heard. You answered by looking to the side and swallowing. Then he pulled you in, hugging you.
You stood there for a moment before wrapping your arms around him in return. Then he hugged you tighter and you reciprocated. After a while, he pulled back just far enough to bring his hands up and cup your face. His thumbs brushed away your tears and you placed your hands on his arms. Breaths mixing together.
You moved first. You kissed him gently and then your heart fluttered when he kissed you back. A kiss that said a thousand words before you both broke apart.
Looking in to his eyes, your own eyes widened at what you saw. Not expecting it. The amount of pain in his eyes made you breathless. Then he looked down and backed away from you before walking out of the kitchen.

You gasped for air as you started crying again. Then you made up your mind and ran after him. "Yongguk." you called out as you entered the living room.
He didn't stop or acknowledge you though. So you grabbed a pillow off of the couch and threw it at him. That's what it took and he turned around real fast, looking down at the pillow before staring at you in disbelief.
"You made me feel like I didn't exist." you told him, more tears pouring forth. "Like I wasn't here. All you ever did was ignore me."
He looked away. "Stop."
"You never listen to me!" you yelled. "Even when I filed for divorce you wouldn't listen."
"I don't want to hear it!" he yelled at you as he eyes started watering. "I didn't want to listen to you! Hear how the woman I promised to love forever didn't care about me. You even filed the divorce behind my back!"
"Cause I was unhappy!" you explained. "And I tried to tell you but you never listen! I had to do it behind your back but even then you still wouldn't talk to me!"
He took an angry step towards you. "I didn't want to be hurt by you even more! Hearing how much happier you'd be by divorcing me instead of being with me! You never even asked if it was what I wanted!"
You inhaled sharply and gaped at him. "You... You didn't want to divorce?"
He his lips before swallowing and looking away. "No. Of course not." he quietly confessed. "But you weren't willing to give me a second chance. Let me try to make our marriage work."
You let out a breath in realization. "That's why you were so surprised I gave you a second chance with Misun."
"You hurt me before." he reasoned with a shrug. "I had no reason to believe you wouldn't do it again. Take away another precious thing that means the world to me."
"Then why did you go through with the divorce without telling me?" you questioned.
"Because it was what you were telling me. By filing it. That you... didn't care anymore." he said as he turned back to face you and you saw the tears flowing down his cheeks. "You don't care... about me. At all. I mean nothing to you."
You quickly moved towards him and cupped his face with your hands. "I filed because I was losing myself. I didn't think I existed anymore and it was the only way I could think of to breathe again." You swallowed and gave him a pleading look. "I was not trying to hurt you. At that point I didn't think you could hear me even if you wanted to. No matter what I tell you."
He took in a shaky breath. "What... What do you want... to tell... me?"
You took a deep breath and looked him in the eye. "I... I don't... hate you."