Chapter 7

Hear Me, Love Me

You got off work later that day and picked Misun up from daycare. She told you everything she did that day, who she played with and what games they played. Then when you got home, she begged you to color with her and you spread the coloring books on the kitchen table. The two of you colored pictures together until you heard a knock on the door. You answered it and let Yongguk inside.
"Hey."
"Hey."
"Misun," you called out, "Look who's here."
She peeked out of the kitchen and Yongguk smiled at her. She didn't smile back and quickly disappeared back into the kitchen. He gave you a questioning look and you shook your head, not knowing why she was acting like that.
"Baby girl." you said and walked into the kitchen. She was sitting at the table and coloring again. "Aren't you happy that daddy's here?"
"Yeah." she replied without looking at you.
"Misun." Yongguk said.
She finally looked up and gave you a pleading look. "Do I have to go with daddy?"
"Why don't you want to go with daddy?" you asked.
She didn't answer though and pressed her lips together.
Yongguk came forward and knelt down in front of her. "Is this about Heeyung?"
Misun looked down at her lap as she fidgeted in her seat.
"Honey, remember this morning? When I said I told you I never would have left you with Heeyung if I knew she was being mean?"
She nodded her head.
He smiled at her. "That also means you'll never see her again."
"Really?" she asked, perking up.
He chuckled. "Really." He stuck his pinky out. "Pinky promise."
She giggled and wrapped her pinky around his. "Okay. And I'm sorry."
"For what?" he asked.
"For not telling you Heeyung was mean the first time she watched me."
His face fell as he stared at her. "The... first time?"
You crossed arms and gave Yongguk a pointed look. "I tried to tell you something was wrong that day when you yelled at me for making you late and not keeping her room clean."
He turned back to look at you in shock. "Heeyung was babysitting before that."
"What?!" You quickly moved and knelt down neck to him in front of Misun. "Oh honey, why didn't you say anything?" you questioned her.
She blinked in surprise and then seemed to shrink in on herself as she looked between the two of you.
You put a hand on her knee reassuringly. "It's okay honey. You can tell us. You won't be in trouble."
"Just tell us everything." Yongguk added. "Tell us why."
She squirmed a little in her chair as her eyes watered. Then she looked down at her lap, her voice a tiny squeak, "Because daddy doesn't listen to anyone and mommy doesn't care about anyone."
You quickly looked at Yongguk who was also staring at you. Her words mimicked exactly what you accused each other of. Then the sound of Misun crying made you both look at her.
You moved first and pulled her in to a tight hug. "Oh sweetheart, no. No. Don't cry."
"Mommy cares about you very much." Yongguk said as he ran his hand through her hair.
You glanced over at him and your eyes momentarily met. "And daddy will always listen to you." you said. "You can tell daddy anything."
She finally pulled back and looked at you with wide eyes. "Really?"
"Really baby." Yongguk assured and wiped at her cheeks. "We both love you very much."
A small smile formed on her face and Yongguk kissed her forehead. "Maybe if it's okay with mommy, you and I can hang out here?" He glanced at you. "If it'll make her more comfortable."
"That's fine." you agreed and smiled at Misun. "How about I order pizza for dinner?"
She enthusiastically nodded her head. "Yes please!"
"Okay then." you said.
Then she grabbed Yongguk's hand and gave a little tug. "Daddy, will you color with me?"
"Sure." he replied and sat at the table with her.

When the pizza arrived, you had Misun pick out a movie and the three of you ate in the living room. She sat in between the two of you and you could tell how excited about that she was. When the movie was finished, you glanced over and saw her leaning against Yongguk with her eyes closed.
"She's passed out." he quietly commented.
"Yeah." you agreed. Then you stood up and reached for her.
"I got her." Yongguk insisted, shifting his arms easily and picking her up.
You followed him to her bedroom and watched as he gently laid her in her bed. He pulled up the blanket and kissed her head before stepping back. You grabbed her favorite doll and carefully slipped it under the blanket before kissing her goodnight as well. Then you both quietly left her room.
Back in the living room you sat down on the couch with a heavy sigh.
"I know that look."
You glanced up at him and shook your head. "It's noth.."
"I know that look." he repeated.
You looked away and swallowed. "I feel like I failed her." you quietly confessed.
He sat down next to you and grabbed your hand. "She wouldn't tell me either." he told you. "Then when you tried to tell me, I wouldn't listen. Plus it happened at my place. If anything, I'm the one to blame."
You let out an unamused chuckle as you looked down. "Yeah. You never listen."
"And you never care."
You glanced over at him but he wasn't looking at you. Then he let go of your hand and stood up. "I should go." he said as he walked to the front door.
"Yongguk wait." you quickly said and hurried after him.
He stopped and turned to you.
"I... I think... this is a conversation long overdue." you told him.
He slowly shook his head. "We'll only fight."
"But.."
"And," he continued, "It's a conversation that won't change anything." Then he turned and opened the door.
You stared down at the floor and took in a shaky breath.
"Hey." You looked up at him to see a half-smile on his face. "We lasted more than 5 minutes."
"Yeah." you agreed and forced a small smile. "See you tomorrow."
He nodded and then closed the door behind him. You stood there for a while, wrestling with too many emotions.