Chapter 6

Hear Me, Love Me

You got Misun home and spent extra time with her. Cuddling on the couch while watching her favorite movies and making her a special dinner. Yongguk had tried calling a few times but you ignored your ringing phone and then eventually turned it off.
When it was time for bed, you read her two stories and stayed with her for a little while afterwards. You reassured her that she was going to stay with you and not have to see Heeyung again. Finally she drifted off to sleep and you quietly left her room.
You sat on the couch for a while as you tried to unwind from the hectic day you had, wondering if you'd be able to go through with your plans tomorrow. Perhaps you should try talk to Yongguk one more time before you did anything.
A knock on the front door made you jump and you glanced at the clock, seeing how late it was. Either someone got the wrong apartment number or...
With a heavy sigh, you got up and went to the front door. Upon opening, you saw Yongguk. A disheveled, red-eyed Yongguk that had a strong smell of alcohol on him.
"Please tell me you didn't drive here drunk."
He shook his head and then you watched as he started crying once more. He stumbled forward and wrapped his arms around you as he laid his head on you shoulder. "I'm sorry." he sobbed. "I'm so sorry. Please believe me."
You closed your eyes and swallowed. "I know." you said and rubbed his back. Then you managed to close the door and steer him over to the couch. You let him fall on to it but when you went to walk away, he grabbed your hand and pulled you down next to him.
"Yongguk." you chided.
Again he buried his face in to your neck as he cried. Repeatedly proclaiming how sorry he was and begging you to not go through with it, slurring almost every word.
Sighing, you pushed him and he clutched on to you tighter. You didn't move away though and instead pressed your body in to his. Only then did he allow you to push him down so he was laying on the couch with you laying next to him. You ran your fingers through his hair for quite a while and he slowly stopped crying. After it had been silent for a bit, you carefully shifted to see him sleeping. Then you attempted to scoot off the couch without waking him but he ended up stirring slightly and holding on to you.
"Don't." he mumbled. "I'm sorry... Please don't... I love you both so much... Don't do.. this..." Then he drifted back to sleep.
You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion. 'I love you both so much'? Was he talking about Heeyung? Upset that she did what she did. Were they that serious?
You shook your head and dismissed those thoughts. You had enough to worry about as it was. Misun comes first.
Your second attempt to slide of the couch was successful and you grabbed an extra blanket to drape over him. Then you went to bed, tossing and turning for a while before finally falling asleep as well.

In the morning, you quietly walked through the house and found Yongguk still sleeping on the couch. You turned and went into the kitchen and started the coffee machine. You leaned against the counter as the pot filled and you eyed the paper on the counter. The one with the phone number for social services. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath.
"Hey."
You jumped slightly in surprise and opened your eyes real fast.
"Uh.. sorry." Yongguk mumbled.
"It's fine." you told him. "Morning."
"Morning." he replied. Then he chewed on his bottom lip nervously and rubbed the back of his neck. Signs that you knew meant he was embarrassed. "About last night..."
"Don't worry about it." you said.
He went to open his mouth but then closed it. Then an awkward smile. "Thanks." he said and looked away. Then he froze when he saw the paper on the counter.
"I'm.."
He cut you off. "I won't bring anyone around her again."
"Yong.."
"I'll do supervise visitations. Anything. Please.."
"Yongguk."
"Don't take her from me. I.."
"Yongguk!" you yelled and he finally stopped rambling. "Would you just listen."
He swallowed and pressed his lips together, the fear in his eyes saying enough.
"I'm not going to do anything." you told him.
His eyes widened and the fear was replaced with confusion. "But you said..."
"I'm sorry about what I said. I was angry and upset. But you never intended for anything to happen."
"You're... You're giving me a second chance?" he questioned as he stared at you in shock.
"Yeah." you answered.
"Really?"
You raised your eyebrow at him. "Why is that so hard to believe?"
"Because..." Then he stopped and shook his head. "Nevermind. Thank you. Thank you so much."
"Of course." you said before giving him a serious look. "But I don't want her around Heeyung."
"No." he vehemently agreed. "Never again. It's over between us. As soon as she finds a place to live she's out."
You remembered his words from last night and gave him an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry about that. Between you two."
He shrugged his shoulders. "It's okay. Didn't think it was going to last much longer anyways."
"Oh." you stated in surprise. "I thought... Um... Well, I'm still sorry." You looked away, momentarily confused, before shaking your head. "Coffee?" you offered him.
"Sure. Thanks." he replied.
You prepared two cups and gave him one. You took your first sip as you pondered a thought. "How about you have visitation here until Heeyung is gone?"
He furrowed his eyebrows. "Here?"
"I can take her to daycare in the morning when I go to work. Then either you or I pick her up. You can take her out to dinner if you want or you could hang out here."
"You'd do that for me?" he questioned.
You let out a little sigh of annoyance. "Can't I be nice without you questioning it?"
He looked down guiltily. "Sorry." he mumbled.
You waved your hand dismissively. "It is suppose to be your week after all and this way you can still see her." Then you attempted a small joke to hopefully make him more comfortable, "Even though having us in the same room for 5 minutes is never a good idea." you jested with an amused chuckle.
Instead of chuckling as well, he looked away and stared off in to the distance. "No. No it's not." he quietly said.
You stared at him for a moment before swallowing. "I... I just meant..."
"Mommy?"

Both of you looked over at Misun as she glanced between the two of you. Unsure.
"Morning sweetheart." you said with a smile.
"Morning." she said and then kept her eyes on Yongguk.
He knelt down and offered a small smile. "Hey baby girl. Can... Can I talk to you?"
She looked over at you and you nodded encouragingly. Then she nodded at her father.
"I am really, really sorry about what happened." he told her. "If I would have known she was being mean to you, I never would have left you with her."
She bit her lip a little. "You're not... mad at me?" she asked, barely above a whisper.
"What?" he questioned in disbelief. "No. Of course not. Why would I be?"
"She told me she didn't want to tell you because you liked Heeyung." you offered.
He glanced at you in surprise before turning back at her. "Oh honey." he uttered and cupped her face. "You are the most important person to me and you will always come first."
You saw a smile on her face briefly before she threw herself at him in a hug. He earnestly hugged her back tightly, closing his eyes and taking a shaky breath.
"I love you Misun." he said.
"I love you daddy." Then she pulled back. "I'm hungry."
You both chuckled and she giggled as well.
"What do you want for breakfast?" you asked her.
"I want daddy to make mickey mouse pancakes!" she proclaimed.
You looked at Yongguk at the same time he looked at you, both of you blushing slightly.
"Well, you are here anyways. If you want to?"
"I can do that." he said.
"Yay!"
While Yongguk cooked, you showered and got ready for work. When you came out and sat at the table, you saw the pancake on your plate. You raised an eyebrow at Yongguk and his eyes flickered to Misun.
"Oh a mickey mouse pancake!" you exclaimed happily before turning to your daughter. "Was this your idea?"
"Yes!" she declared and laughed.
"Very sweet. Thank you."
"And thank daddy for cooking." she told you.
"Thank you daddy."
"You're welcome mommy."
Then Misun shrieked with laughter.