Chapter 1

Hear Me, Love Me

Sunday morning and you hurriedly rinsed out your coffee mug before setting it in the sink. Walking out into the living room, you apprehensively glanced at the clock and saw the time.
"Misun!" you called. "Hurry up!"
There was no response and you let out a frustrated sigh before making your way down the hallway.
"Misun honey, hurry up. Daddy will be here any second." you said as you stepped into your daughter's room.
You found the little girl digging in her toy box, throwing toys around the room.
"Misun!" you exclaimed at the mess she was making in her previously cleaned room.
"I can't find Dolly." she told you with wide eyes.
Another sigh and your eyes swept around the room. Before you could began helping her search though, a loud knock come from the front door.
"There's your dad." you groaned, knowing he was going to be mad that Misun wasn't ready on time. "Try checking under your bed." you suggested before leaving the room.
You walked back into the living room, preparing yourself, and took a deep breath as you approached the front door. Forcing a smile on your face before opening it.
"Hey." you greeted and stepped aside.
"Hey." Yongguk replied and looked around. "Where's Misun?"
"Looking for her doll." you informed him. Then waited for it.
A groan and an eye roll. "Why can't you ever have her ready on time?"
There it was. "Waiting an extra minute so your daughter can take her favorite doll is not going to kill you." you shot right back.
"So then pack her bag the night before!"
"Again, waiting an extra minute is not going to kill you!"
"No but it's like this every exchange. Why is it so hard for you to be considerate of others?"
You rolled your eyes at that before you scoffed and turned away.
"Where are you going?" he asked.
You turned and crossed your arms as you raised your eyebrows at him. "To find a doll. Is that okay with you? Or am I not allowed to?"
He groaned once more and shook his head, turning away from you to sit on the couch.
You shook your head as well and stalked down the hallway, hiding curses on your breath. You entered Misun's room and saw her just sitting on the bed with the doll in her hands.
"Baby girl what are you doing? Daddy's waiting." you told her.
"Okay." she quietly said but not moving.
You went over and kneeled down in front of her. "What's wrong?"
She shook her head quickly. "Nothing."
"Are you sure about that?" you questioned. "Cause if something is wrong, you know you can tell me."
"I know." she softly stated.
"So is there anything you want to tell me?" you sweetly asked one more time.
She fidgeted with the doll in her hands and chewed on her lip so you waited expectantly.
"Misun." You both turned to see Yongguk standing in the doorway. "Did you find your doll? Come on, we got to go."
"Okay." she dejectedly said and stood up. Clutching her doll tightly, she walked past Yongguk and down the hall.
Yongguk reached down and grabbed the tiny backpack with some of Misun's favorite toys that she took between houses. "See you next week." he said and turned away.
You hurried after him though and stopped him from walking away. "Wait Yongguk. Misun's..."
"Can't this wait?!" he demanded. "I have to go before you make me late for work. Again." He took a couple of steps before turning to you one last time. "And keep her room clean. I can't believe you let it get that messy." Then he was walking down the hallway.
Your mouth dropped open before you grabbed at your hair. "Don't scream. Don't scream. Don't scream." you repeated to yourself. Then you heard the front door close. You let out a small scream of frustration before breathing heavily, trying to calm yourself down.
It was only one day a week during the custody exchanges that you saw Yongguk but it was plenty of a reminder just how much your ex-husband pissed you off.