Hunhan: Cold as ice

We Could Be in Love: An Exo Drabble Collection

Summary: Snow Prince!AU where Prince Sehun, who possesses magical ice powers, is in love with Prince Luhan, who decides to put his country first and his heart second. 

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

Prince Sehun closes his eyes and takes a deep breath as his gloved hand grips the doorknob. The prince hoped to avoid this confrontation but he knew that this day would come sooner or later. He exhales and shakily opens the door, gracefully sliding into his study where his long-time friend, Prince Luhan, waited for his arrival.

Luhan is a neighboring prince from a kingdom that has always been in good terms with Sehun's own kingdom- the two kingdoms were allies for centuries. Every year, Luhan’s family would visit their neighboring kingdom during the spring for a week. Because of these annual trips, the princes grew up together and with Luhan knowing about Sehun's secret ice powers, they were the best of friends (although warmer feelings were implied, but neither prince could act on it because they were both heirs to their own thrones.) It has been years since these visits started but unlike the past years, though Sehun had a hard time accepting it, something has changed.

The door shuts to a close and the tension in the air is strong enough to cut. Sehun stares longingly at Luhan, who stares out the window. After a minute of silence, Luhan turns to face his friend with a barely noticeable smile gracing his lips. “Sehun,” the dark haired prince warmly greets.

Sehun’s eyes flash an icy blue for a quick second as Luhan’s voice rings in his ear. He tries to ignore the rapid beating of his heart. “I’ve heard some…news,” he says, his voice dropping to a low whisper at the end of his sentence. “Is it true?”

Weeks before Luhan’s visit was due, news of Luhan's mother pressuring her son into marrying so he can produce an heir before his ill father dies spread throughout the two allied kingdoms, and eventually reached the ears of Sehun himself, through his kingdom’s royal messenger.

Luhan, not able to stand face to face with his friend, shifts to glance out the window once more. “Yes,” Sehun hears his friend reply and he swears he hears a slight quiver in the other prince’s voice. That one simple word is a fatal blow to the younger prince and he could almost hear his own heart shatter through the silence that haunts the study.

Luhan continues to tell Sehun that he has made his decision about proposing to a young princess he has been quietly courting for some time now. “As you are my closest friend, I wanted to inform you of the news myself.”

“Do you love her?” Sehun suddenly questions.

Luhan spins around. “Pardon?”

Sehun feels a familiar frosty sensation forming inside his gloves and does his best to ignore the cold.

Conceal, don’t feel. Conceal, don’t feel.

He takes a few steps forward, slowly approaching Luhan with clenched fists.  Once he’s eye to eye with his companion, Sehun attempts to shake away the icy commotion spreading through his body by inhaling and exhaling deeply.  “What is your heart telling you to do?” he asks, his voice filled with raw emotions of hurt and disbelief.

Again, Luhan turns his face away. “...That doesn't matter. I'm running out of time and I need-”

Sehun approaches Luhan until he’s way too close for comfort. He looks down to glance into Luhan’s eyes and the shorter man freezes at the closeness. “Do you love her?” the taller challenges.

“...No. I do not.”

“...Luhan... I lo-”

“Don't.” Luhan begs, “Please.”

“B-but,” the younger prince begins to protest and Luhan lifts a finger to keep Sehun from continuing. He gazes into Sehun’s dark brown eyes and sadly smiles. He touches his friend’s ice-cold cheek and in response, the silver haired prince shuts his eyes and leans into his warm touch.

“We cannot change who we are. We have responsibilities to our own kingdoms.” With that, Luhan’s warmth is gone and when Sehun opens his eyes, he finds the neighboring prince near the entrance to the study.

Luhan’s hand rests on the doorknob. He twists it open and takes one step outside the room. “Once everything is set in stone, I will personally see to that you will receive your invitation to the wedding.” The door to the study closes and the sound echoes throughout the large room.

Sehun unstably makes his way to the window and watches Luhan and his royal guard, Minseok, board their horses and ride their way down the bricked pathway and through the palace gates.

The moment when Luhan leaves the premises of the palace is the moment Sehun uses his long legs to run straight to his quarters. He immediately locks the door before his attendants could come rushing in to check on the prince. The silver haired prince presses his back against the wooden doors, shoulders shaking as he desperately tries to keep the tears from cascading down his pale cheeks. Sehun hastily pulls his gloves off before throwing them across the room and leans his head back against the door. Salty tears fall down as his eyes shut to a close.  Sliding down to the marble floor, Sehun breaks down into loud sobs. His teardrops freeze as they make their journey done his face but he pays no attention to that.

The only emotion the prince feels is despair- he's lost the one person he loves with all of his heart. The person who warmed up to the cold prince now has his heart and abandoned it on a shelf, never to be touched again. Sehun is suddenly hit with feelings of rejection and isolation and that's when he loses control of his emotions. The thought of losing Luhan to someone else, to someone his best friend didn't even love, causes him to scream out in agony.  

The scream echoed throughout the palace halls and activated the powers that Sehun had spent half his life trying to hide. The room takes a sudden drop in temperature as ice begins to seep out of the prince's fingertips. The cold quickly spreads across the large room, swirling on the glass and through the large doors until the whole palace has been coated with Sehun's ice. The cries of the brokenhearted prince never ceased, as did the spreading of the cold. Outside the palace walls, the once bright and sunny kingdom is shrouded in snow.  

That didn’t matter to Prince Sehun- the cold never bothered him anyway.

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

A/N: I'm back again after what seems like forever. So I've worked on this Snow Prince!AU for a while but I don't know if I can continue writing since since I constantly have writer's block. But I wanted to publish something and not put this beautiiful idea to waste, so tadah~! If you want to read more about my Snow Prince!AU, I dumped a buttload of my ideas into a blogpost to share ^__^ And please comment to tell me what you think of this drabble, I would really appreciate it. I consider this drabble as my baby and I think it's my best work yet so yeah. Please tell me if you liked it or not ;;