Backfire and Busted

The Maid Of Honor

 

 

A/N:

 

Seems like the story's progress is so slow.

 

Sorry for trolling!

 

Enjoy!

 

(Sorry for the typos too!)

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Chapter 8

Backfire and Busted

 

 

 

“GOSH!” Dara exclaimed. She thinks she already passed the unthinkable torture and almost at the topmost part of the trail up the Hallasan Mountains. She was gasping for air and beads of sweat trickled down from her forehead.

 

 

“What? Giving up now?”

 

 

Dara looked up to Seungri, amusement etched across his face. Even Chaerin was all smiles to her.

 

 

‘Hmp! You’re from this kingdom that’s why it’s not surprising that you’re used to this kind of torture!’

 

 

On second thought, she can use this on her advantage. She can get Seungri’s attention from her fiancée.

 

 

She inhaled a lungful of air before she spoke. “Why don’t you piggyback me?” she said with a tone of sweetness. Maybe it’s not bad to wish for that since he’s her best friend.

 

 

Seungri widened his eyes at her statement. “Hey, you’re not a kid anymore so don’t act like one.”

 

 

She frowned then pouted her lips. When they were kids, she always asks for a piggyback ride from him when she’s tired from walking. There never was a time that he didn’t heed her requests—just now. And she can’t think of any other reason of it other than the girl clinging to his arms while enjoying seeing her suffering.

 

 

“You’re mean.” She rolled her eyes at him while Seungri just laughed off. They again started their tracks up the trail.

 

 

“Need help?”

 

 

She was beyond surprised when she heard Jiyong speak from behind. It was just again that time she heard him speak after they left the house.

 

 

Dara shook her head. “It’s okay. I can still endure it anyway.”

 

 

His brows connected and looked at her intently. After a little while, he walked pass her and continued the trail up the mountain.

 

 

She raised an eyebrow and tried to pierce a hole at his back.

 

 

‘He didn’t even give it a second push?’

 

 

Dara then again looked at Seungri’s direction and smiled sweetly at him.

 

 

He shook his head sideways. “Aish! You’re giving me that look again because you know I won’t resist to it.”

 

 

“Teehee...” she giggled cutely.

 

 

He stopped then turned his back at her. “Climb fast so we can get to the view deck. Sweetie’s already waiting for me there.”

 

 

‘Sweetie here, sweetie there! All you can think of is her!’ was what she wanted to shout at him.

 

 

He gave in to her wants but, still, it’s his fiancée who’s occupying his mind.

 

 

She was really not planning to ask for a piggyback ride in the first place. She just wanted to get his attention, even for a moment. He was all over Chaerin during the ride so she didn’t get the chance to chat with him.

 

 

She knew she was acting like a . She was assertively competing with Chaerin for Seungri’s attention. But she just really loves him.

 

 

She was hoping that Chaerin would notice what she’s doing to spark up a misunderstanding between the couple, then would finally give up and would cancel the wedding.

 

 

She’s hoping she’d succeed.

 

 

As they arrived at the top of the view deck, Chaerin, along with her digicam, immediately met with them.

 

 

“Want me to take your picture?” Chaerin asked.

 

 

“Sure!” Dara answered her, faster than a speeding bullet. She dragged Seungri near the railings wherein their background was the beautiful overview of the Jeju Island. He draped his arm on her shoulder while she wrapped her arm around his waist. He then pinched her nose till she almost can’t breathe through it anymore.

 

 

“Ouch!” she nasally complained. He just laughed at her. She then did to him what he had done to her. It was their official wacky pose since, well, before.

 

 

Chaerin was just smiling and shaking her head at their silliness while taking their shots.

 

 

“Take our pictures together too!” she heard Seungri said. Chaerin was passing her the camera with a smile. Although she’s not really entertaining that idea, she got the camera from the girl’s grasp and let them take their time to pose together. If Seungri and Dara’s pose a while ago was a wacky one, his intimate pose now with Chaerin would surpass even the most famous couple—Nyongdal, in the entertainment industry of South Korea! (A/N: I know. It’s a lame attempt of comparison. I feel you. XD)

 

 

Seungri was hugging Chaerin from behind. His hands were crossing against her tummy; she rested her own hands atop them while leaning her head towards his chest. They were smiling and at the same time had a glowing aura around them.

 

 

She wanted to haul the camera down the railings and walk out from the scene. She admits that although she’s already cringing with their cheesiness from head to toe, she’s envious. So envious that she wished that it was her that Seungri was hugging, and not Chaerin. 

 

 

 

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

 

 

 

Dara walked to the other side of the view deck. The splendid scenery around and the calm gush of wind against her face helped her to cool down. If things were different, she could say that the place was quite relaxing and peaceful. And maybe she appreciated it more if it was just the two of them together here.

 

 

‘The case is, there's a pest!’

 

 

She averted her vision away from the scene. As she whirled her head around, she met Jiyong’s intent gaze—the same look he gave her earlier.

 

 

Out of her wits, she smiled at him.

 

 

Had he caught her frowning?

 

 

‘I hope not...’ she mutely chanted in her head.

 

 

She decided to approach him. That might be her chance to talk to him and find out his real opinion about the wedding.

 

 

She pasted a well-rehearsed smile before she reaches him. “Hi,” she simply greeted. When she noticed that he’s not going to greet her back and just continued to stare at her, she diverted her face from him and looked away.

 

 

She started to get self-conscious because of the way he was staring at her. It seems like there’s something wrong and she can’t explain its cause.

 

 

“Do you often go here in the trail?” she asked, starting the conversation.

 

 

“Only when there are guests.” was his short reply.

 

 

Dara nodded then drew a deep breath. “Sorry about the other day, yesterday and earlier.” She started swallowing her pride, and man, it tasted bitter.

 

 

“It was nothing.”

 

 

She simply sighed. It looks like she needs to content herself with his short-sentenced answers. She changed her position—she leaned on the railings.

 

 

Bad move.

 

 

She was now facing Seungri and Chaerin, laughing and absorbed in a world that they created.

 

 

“They’re so sweet, don’t you think?” she dryly commented on the oblivious couple.

 

 

He followed to where she was glancing, and then shrugged. For her, that was a positive reaction. A little hope sparked her heart. Maybe her theory was right all along.

 

 

She cleared . “I heard that you’re still single?”

 

 

His vision drifted from the couple back to her. “So?” he retorted with creased forehead.

 

 

For further explanation, it sarcastically means “What’s it to you?”

 

 

“Nothing.” It was now her turn to shrug. “I was thinking, that it was a good thing you let you’re sister get married and settle first.”

 

 

“Why not?” His eyebrows now creating a straight line on his forehead.

 

 

“Aren’t you afraid that you won’t get to build your own family because she hastily wants to get married? The eldest would be unable to get settled when outran by the younger sibling in marriage, they say.”

 

 

He smirked. “You believe that kind of nonsense?”

 

 

“W-well...” she opened and closed .

 

 

‘This annoying freak! Is there nothing good that would come out of his mouth?’

 

 

Coz it would mean that he wants her to look like she doesn’t have a common sense at all!

 

 

“I was just wondering since it would be very unfair on your part if you cannot marry just because Chaerin can’t wait for her turn, r-right?”

 

 

“If what you’re saying is true and that I really won’t get married at all, what’s it got to do with you?”

 

 

He was right. What right does she have if ever he won’t get married?

 

 

None!

 

 

The hell she cared with the jerk’s love life! It was not her real concern anyway. She wanted Jiyong to believe it didn’t hurt if she would find out about his true feelings about Seungri and the wedding.  Maybe her hunch is correct, that he’s affected with the impending wedding of his little sister. She can try to change his mind and convince Chaerin to put the wedding on hold.

 

 

“W-well...I’m just thinking about the people around them. I want to make sure that no one is aggrieved because of their decision. Seungri’s my best friend, you know, and I want him to be totally happy.”

 

 

“Really?” For the first time, he faced her. He slightly leaned towards her and put his right hand on the railings. The smile painted on his lips spells more than that of trouble—mischievous, it is.

 

 

It’s obvious that he does not believe ANYTHING she was saying. She was not a professional liar that maybe he already knew where this conversation is heading. But it was not the thing that made her nervous at the moment.

 

 

Was it the way he looked at her?

 

 

The left corner of his lips was stretched upwards whilst still displaying the same smile on her direction. Seems like that smile and the way he looked, combined, was digging deep through her soul.

 

 

‘Oh. My. God.’

 

 

What the hell was happening with her internal organs?

 

 

“R-really!” she staggeringly answered. “Why? Is there any other reason?”

 

 

He tilted his head. “I don’t know. You tell me. Try to enlighten me.” he challenged.

 

 

“What are you talking about?” Supposedly asked, confused.

 

 

He hollowly laughed. “Let’s not play dumb here, lady. You know what I mean. Did you really think I won’t notice that you’re trying to steal Seungri’s attention from my sister? I offered my hand to you a moment there, and you refused, telling me you still can endure. And yet, as Seungri approached and offered you help, you didn’t even hesitate for a moment. Why? Not to mention yesterday. What was that about? I don’t get it. I also caught you looking at my sister with eyes full of hatred.”

 

 

He continued. “You claim to be his best friend. And from what I’ve noticed and in most cases, girls tend to fall in love with their male best friends. Are you amongst them? And you went here ahead of the wedding date because you wanted to interfere with their wedding, and you’re talking to me about the ridiculous and baseless superstition because you’re hoping that I’m going to help you.”

 

 

“How dare you!” That was all her reply with all he had said. She felt her whole face heat up in irritation and embarrassment. The cat is, finally, out of the bag.

 

 

Her plans were busted.

 

 

Bull’s eye.

 

 

 

 

--------Comments-are-very-much-appreciated!--------