Entry 4

Dear Diary, My First Love
 
~ Yiruma - Maybe  ~

 
9th April 2009
Today, I saw him again. At the beach like the first time, but this time he wasn’t sleeping.
In fact it was him who noticed me first.
It felt strange, to run into someone outside who saw me, and recognised me, and approached me.
‘Piano girl’ he called out…

 

 “Piano girl!”

Eunmi was stood staring at the ground, lightly kicking at the sand, hands gently interlaced behind her back when that voice called out to her.

Her head immediately jolted up upon registering who the voice belonged to. Hands slipped out of one another’s hold and hung at her sides.

There he was. Dressed in that same school uniform she had seen him in the last time he was here. His hair tousled in the wind as he tilted his head, attempting to get a better look at the younger girl, a few feet in front of him.

“It’s you right?”

Eunmi did not answer – is this really a coincidence that they had met, yet again? She wondered. But whether it is or not, all she knows is that she is once again left baffled by this person’s sudden appearance.

Luckily, it seems as though the boy’s question was never intended to be answered as he smiled that goofy smile she had seen just the day before. And with a few quick, long strides he was already standing steps before her.

“Wah, I didn’t think I’d ever see someone else here so early”

The younger girl couldn’t help but to stare at him in slight disbelief, thinking about how she should be the one to say that. But once again, her lips remained sealed. Not a single word escapes those small pink lips, as though her voice had been locked up inside , struggling to squeeze its way out. In the end, she could only awkwardly smile back at him in response – something that seemed to have led Baekhyun into thinking that the girl really didn’t want anything to do with him, much less speak to him. And frankly, who could blame her? He literally just appeared in front of her house, and who would want to speak to a stranger who popped out of nowhere like that?

However rather than feeling disheartened by the distance she was (in his eyes) clearly trying to put between them, it actually made him feel a strong determination to get to know her more, to make her open up to him.

But for now, he just smiled, a slightly weaker smile – as Eunmi had noted – and side glanced at the sea, his body slowly turning to face it.

“Isn’t it amazing?”

Eunmi’s eyes innocently rounded at the question.

Only a second later did she catch onto his way of smoothly diverting the attention away from her. The way he brushed off her lack of response towards his previous questions and comments and still continues to speak to her in such a friendly, inviting manner. And how he remains standing here with her instead of leaving this person who had never uttered a sound to him.

She stared at the male in front of her, observing how his eyes twinkled in delight upon seeing the sight before him. Taking note of how his face glowed so brightly as the rays of the rising sun indulged it with warmth. And as she too turned to look at the sea, a gush of wind blew her dishevelled hair back, unveiling a view that sparkled in a way that she has never seen before. It was like the landscape surrounding them reflected the positivity that illuminated from within the boy next to her. 

And without realising, produced a small ‘nn’ sound in agreement to his previous words.

That soft little hum didn’t go unheard by Baekhyun who instantly glanced over at her in pleasant surprise.

Despite how quiet her response was, that smile that graced her face at that moment was more than enough to satisfy him, that small yet genuine little smile that lit up the delicate features of her almost-doll-like face. Her long locks dancing along the wind, in a movement that resembled the beautifully billowing white curtains at her house yesterday.

“You smiled!”

As soon as the words left his lips, her smile immediately fell as lips parted in shock.

Eunmi felt conscious of the boy’s eyes which seemed fixated on her right now. But as her eyes cautiously met his, she noticed how his usual big, goofy smile had returned to his face, his eyes curving into happy crescents.

This guy, really is different – she thought. How could he suddenly be so elated just from seeing that one smile from her?

Realising that they had been staring at each other for quite a while now, Eunmi’s cheeks heated up, eyes fluttering as she shyly turned her head away.

On the other hand, Baekhyun didn’t shy away, practically smiled from ear to ear.  

It was strange. How her small and simple responses affected him so much. So easily.  Even Baekhyun himself felt that. And as he turned to face the sea again, he knew. He really wanted to get to know this girl more, to get to hear her voice, and to see her smile again.

The two of them stood side by side with a lengthy meter worth of space separating them. They’re eyes wandering into the distance as they admire the beauty of this special place.

A sea of gold lay before them stretching across the horizon. The waves and the wind simultaneously blowing inwards before dying down and the process repeated again on an ongoing cycle. Streaks of yellow gradually merged together, the bright colour gradually dominating the grey sky as the majestic sun continues to rise.

It felt as though every little detail seemed to evolve into a whole new perspective, like a big breath of fresh air. The view looked simply magnificent, like witnessing sunrise at its utmost royal glory. And to be able to have someone standing beside you, sharing this wonderful view together, just made it all the more breathtaking, all the more worthwhile.

To know that there’s someone else here who is willing to spare some time to take in such simple beauty, to give this place the attention it deserves.

Afterall it is the simple things in life that gives you the happiness you need. But people always desire for more than they can have. And in the end it is the simple things that we take for granted. It is the simple things that we tend to neglect and forget, because they are always there. It’s just that we’re too busy striving for something that’s too far from us to notice what we had been blessed with–  

“Shoot!”

Following his sudden burst of exclamation, Baekhyun froze in thought for a second or two before letting out a loud exasperating sigh, his shoulders deflating in the process. His long fingers ran through his hair as he groaned in frustration.

The poor boy had seemingly forgotten that someone else was here, standing beside him until he caught Eunmi’s worried doe eyes and stopped whatever he was doing and awkwardly chuckled in embarrassment.

“Ah. Sorry, it’s just that I only just realised I forgot my bag…again” hopelessly saying the last word more to himself “I’m gonna have to run back…I guess it’s bye for now” Eunmi watched as his lips disappointedly pressed together before he turned to leave.

…but abruptly turned back around again “-wait. Tomorrow…you will be here again, right?”

His question came so unexpectedly that it had completely taken the young girl off guard.

Eunmi froze on the spot whilst Baekhyun refused to budge, determined to get an answer off her. His eyes pierced into hers, filled with…hope?

The two stayed like that for three…long…seconds.

Eventually, Eunmi had to give in, stiffly nodding once. That small action led to an immediate response from Baekhyun who once again broke out into that goofy smile. His eyes once again curving into pretty little crescents.

“I’ll see you around then!” he walked backwards for a few steps before saying bye with a cute little wave and finally turned away.

Eunmi’s eyes followed his shrinking figure as he ran off and once he left her sight a small sigh escapes her lips.

Eyes returning to the sea, her mind replayed the moment she and that strange strange boy watched the sunrise together. Remembering the presence of another person beside her as she stood here.

 
And at that moment, I thought that maybe…maybe I could do with getting used to sharing this place with someone else from now on.
That is, if I do see him here again. Which seems highly likely right now,

 

 

 


A/NPhew~ it's been a while since I've updated so I'm sorry for the wait. I don't think I can update as frequently as I usually do with my fics (got so much work to do this year >_<) but I'll try my best to update as much as possible. Hope you enjoy reading! 
 
Thank you for subscribing and commenting ^_^