Chapter 7

Watch Over Me

 “Hyung!” The voice was a loud whisper, certainly not accomplishing the secrecy it probably wanted and was accompanied by a soft shaking. “Hyung, wake up,” the voice urged again.
  Hyukjae peeked an eye open and looked at the small face of Kyuhyun peering at him from the side of his bed.
  “Kyuhyun-ah, what are you doing up so late?” Hyukjae asked in a real whisper, turning his body in bed so he could watch Kyuhyun fidget around.
  “You said you would help me, ‘member?” Hyukjae looked at the calendar on his nightstand and he let out a small sound of recognition once he glanced at the date.
  “Okay, okay,” Hyukjae said, pulling his blankets off and throwing his legs over the side of the bed. He grabbed his glasses off of the nightstand, already having taken out his contacts for the night and turned to look at Kyuhyun.
  “We have to be really quiet so we don’t wake up Donghae hyung and Jino, ok?” he said and Kyuhyun nodded vigorously, his curly hair jumping around at the action. “Go ahead and set up, hyung has to use the bathroom first.”
  “Okay,” Kyuhyun said before he ran out of the room, his sock covered feet padding softly against the floor as he bounded down the hall and towards the kitchen. Hyukjae chuckled at his eagerness and stood up, stretching out a bit before making his way to the bathroom.
  When he finished, he walked into the kitchen to see an eager Kyuhyun running back and forth from the refrigerator to the table with full arms, taking out all the ingredients they brought from the store yesterday. Hyukjae walked to the table and examined the huge pile on the table.
  “Do you think we have enough stuff, hyung?” Kyuhyun asked, looking up at Hyukjae worriedly. Hyukjae smiled at him and ruffled his hair.
  “We have more than enough Kyu,” he said. “Come on. Let’s get started.”
  He walked to the cabinets and pulled out the measuring cups, a big mixing bowl and a whisk and handed it to Kyuhyun. “I’ll chop and measure, you stir.” Kyuhyun smiled widely at him and nodded, running back to the table and setting the bowl back down on the table next to all of the ingredients.
 He went back and pulled out a small plastic cutting board and a knife, and put it on the counter. Opening the bag of dark chocolate, he carefully measured out the right amount and dumped it on the cutting board, chopping the pile until it was coarse. He added the pile to the bowl before giving the same treatment to the butter.
  He set the timer for a minute on the microwave and glanced at Kyuhyun. “Do you want to put it in Kyuhyun-ah?”
  “Yes!” he said, walking extra slowly with the bowl held securely against his chest so as not to spill anything. After his trek to the microwave, Hyukjae picked him up so that he was tall enough to slide the bowl into the microwave.
  “Can I push the button too?” he asked.
  “Go ahead,” Hyukjae said, leaning him closer so that he could press the Start button. Hyukjae sat him back down on the floor, and was getting the heart-shaped molds ready. “Kyuhyun-ah, don’t stand so close to the microwave or you’ll become weird like your Hae hyung,” he warned, chuckling when Kyuhyun frowned and took ten big steps back.
  As soon as the microwave dinged, he was right back in front of it and Hyukjae was there to take the bowl out. He sat it on the table and gave Kyuhyun the whisk after he got settled into a chair. “Stir it until it gets all nice and mixed up, ok?”
  “Okay,” Kyuhyun said, immediately getting to work, and stirring the gooey mixture a bit too eagerly, and making a little flick out onto his face. His eyes crossed as he tried to look at the spot on his nose, and Hyukjae laughed as he grabbed a napkin to wipe it off.
  “Careful, or you’re going to spill it all before we can get it in the fridge.”
  Kyuhyun nodded and began to stir, more slowly this time as Hyukjae measured out the other ingredients. He poured them in as Kyuhyun continued stirring, the later getting more and more excited as the mixture started to lighten up. When it was thoroughly blended, Hyukjae poured the chocolate into the molds while Kyuhyun scraped off the excess.
  “How do you want to decorate them? Icing or sprinkles?” Hyukjae asked Kyuhyun who suddenly looked deep in thought.
  “Can we do both?” he asked, looking hopeful.
  “Of course,” he said, giving Kyuhyun the sprinkles and filling up the pastry bags with icing.
  “Well, well, what do we have here?” Donghae asked from the doorway, leaning casually on the wall and looking a little bit tired, but grinning in amusement at the twin wide-eyed looks the two shared.
  “Busted?” Hyukjae asked.
  “Busted,” Donghae nodded. “Just what are you up to?” Donghae asked as he made his way over to them and looking curiously at the items that littered the table.
  “Kyuhyun-ah just wanted some help making Valentine’s Day chocolates,” Hyukjae supplied.
  “Why did you wait so late?”
  “Well,” Hyukjae started, looking at Kyuhyun and subtly gesturing to the pouting 6 year old partially hidden behind his legs.
  “Kyuhyun?” Donghae waited.
  “I knew hyung would tease me about it, so I asked Hyukjae hyung to help me when you were sleeping,” Kyuhyun sulked.
  “I wouldn’t tease you about that Kyuhyun-ah,” Donghae said, looking serious and a little hurt. Kyuhyun turned to give him a pointed stare and Donghae quickly cracked in laughter. “Okay, you know your hyung too well. So, who are they for Kyu-ah?”
  “I’m not telling you,” Kyuhyun said indignantly.
  “Why not?” Donghae asked with a frown, and Hyukjae had to stifle his laughter.
  “I just don’t want to!” Kyuhyun said, sticking his tongue out at Donghae, even though his cheeks were rosy.
  “Well, I didn’t want to know anyway,” Donghae replied, making his own face right back at Kyuhyun. Hyukjae could not hold back as he watched the two go back and forth and he had to lean over the table to steady himself.
  “Okay, okay. That’s enough,” Hyukjae said as he sobered up, squeezing Kyuhyun’s cheeks and giving Donghae a look. “Hae, what are you doing up? I thought you had already gone to bed?”
  “I was just looking over some sheet work from this new composer I’m working with. I guess I got pretty caught up in it,” he said, shrugging. “I came to get a cup of coffee and found this instead,” he said. “Did you make these yourselves?” he asked, peering into the leftover bowl of melted chocolate.
  “Sure did, didn’t we Kyuhyun?” Hyukjae asked and Kyuhyun looked up from dumping sprinkles over the molds and nodded proudly.
  “They look good. Did you make enough for me?” Donghae asked happily.
  “Nope,” Hyukjae teased.
  “Aww, why? I want to try one of Hyukkie’s chocolates,” Donghae whined.
  “Alright, alright you overgrown kid. You can have some tomorrow. They’re not ready yet anyway,” Hyukjae said, trying to hide the big smile on his face as he moved the decorated molds to the refrigerator. 
  “But, for now you should head up to bed. You have to get up early tomorrow for a meeting, if I remember correctly,” Hyukjae said, and turned around to see Kyuhyun pulling the bowl of leftover chocolate away from Donghae. “And you have school tomorrow Kyuhyun and it’s way past your bedtime now,” he said.
  “Okay,” he said, hoping down from the chair. “Night hyung,” he said to Hyukjae who had begun clearing the table.
  “Aren’t you going to tell me good night, Kyu?”
  “No,” he shook his head.
  “Why are you so nice to Hyukkie and so mean to me?”
  “Cause I like Hyukkie hyung better than you,” Kyuhyun answered, running frantically to hide behind Hyukjae’s legs when Donghae decided to chase after him.
  “Yah, you brat! How can you treat your uncle like this?” he asked, following behind him and snatching him up so he could toss him over his shoulder and began tickling him into a laughing and squealing mess. “And only I can call him ‘Hyukkie’” he added, continuing his assault until Kyuhyun was a tired and panting lump draped over him.
  Hyukjae smiled fondly at the two as leaned over to mess Kyuhyun’s hair. “Ok, enough rough-housing. It’s time for bed,”
  “Yes, ma’am,” Donghae saluted with Kyuhyun’s hand, earning himself a giggle from Kyuhyun and a light smack from Hyukjae.
  “Good night, you two,” Hyukjae said, lightly shoving Donghae on the chest who was still pouting from the hit, giving him the not-so-subtle hint to leave.
  “Fine. Come on Kyu, I’ll tuck you in,” Donghae said to Kyuhyun, repositioning him so that he was carrying him in his arms. “Oh, and Hyukkie,” he called to Hyukjae as he began walking out of the kitchen.
  “Hmm?”
  “You should wear your glasses more often. You look really good in them,” he said easily, smiling that smile at Hyukjae.
  “Oh, t-thank you,” Hyukjae replied, turning away from him so that he could hide the growing blush on his face. He pretended to ignore the kissing sounds that Kyuhyun had began making, but it was hard to ignore the loud ‘Yah!’ that came from Donghae. He could still hear him fussing as they made their way to Kyuhyun’s room while he proceeded to clean up the kitchen, a smile firmly in place all the while. 
 
  Hyukjae sat at the table with Jino the next morning, watching as he excitedly went through his bowl of oatmeal, while Donghae and Kyuhyun were getting ready to leave.
  “Is it good, Jino-ah?” Hyukjae asked, not able to resist lightly pinching his full cheek and smiling when Jino looked up at him and grinned, nodding enthusiastically. He watched Jino scoop up some of his breakfast and hold it out to him.
  “Ah!” he said, pushing the spoon closer to Hyukjae, who opened up to accept it.
  “Mmm. Good,” he mumbled over the mouthful, making Jino’s smile widen and quickly get more to feed to Hyukjae.
  “Mmm, good!” he repeated to Hyukjae in his squeaky voice, pushing the spoon into his lips again. Hyukjae accepted the spoon once more, making a show over how good it was when the intercom buzzed.
  “I’ll be back, Jino,” he said, getting up to answer the door. His smile vanished as soon as he opened the door.
  “Hello, Kibum-sshi,” he said, trying hard to sound polite and not let his annoyance seep into his words like he wanted to. He really hated the mornings when he came to take Donghae to work.
  Kibum raised an eyebrow at him, staring at him with an odd expression on his face before he bit his lip and nodded curtly at Hyukjae, moving past him and into the apartment. Hyukjae rolled his eyes and closed the door.
  “Donghae, Kibum-sshi is here,” he called out as he walked back into the kitchen with Jino. He took his seat at the table just as Kyuhyun walked in.
  “Bye bye hyung, bye Ji-ah,” he said, waving to the two of them.
  “Bye hyung!” Jino cried, almost knocking over his bowl in his haste to wave back to Kyuhyun.
  “Bye Kyuhyun-ah. Good luck today,” Hyukjae said, and Kyuhyun broke out into a smile, nodding at Hyukjae before running back out, almost knocking Donghae over in his haste.
  “Whoa there. What’s he so excited about?” he asked Hyukjae, who looked up at his arrival.
  “He’s just eager to get to school today, so he can give his chocolates away. He worked really hard on them,” Hyukjae said, giving his attention back to Jino. He didn’t notice Donghae had moved closer to him until the other was standing right next to him.
  “What’s wrong?” he asked.
  “I hope Jino was feeding you,” he said as he pulled a napkin off of the table and wiped at a now rigid Hyukjae’s lip. “Otherwise I’d say you need a bit more practice,” he finished, with a teasing smile on his face.  
  “S-shut up,” Hyukjae muttered, and took the napkin away from Donghae, unnecessarily wiping his face himself and getting up to throw it in the trash.
  “Do you know who Kyu is giving his chocolates to?” Donghae asked.
  “I think it’s that kid who came to his birthday party last week, the one who kissed him in front of everybody,” Hyukjae said, smiling at the memory of seeing Kyuhyun so flustered.
  “Oh, I remember her. She was adorable,” Donghae said.
  “I think she was a boy, Donghae,” Hyukjae said, laughing at Donghae’s expression.
  “I don’t think so. No kid that wears that much pink is a boy,” Donghae argued.
  “Hey, I wear pink sometimes,” Hyukjae said, crossing his arms over his chest.
  “And I wonder about you sometimes,” Donghae said, dodging the oven mitt that was thrown in his direction.
  “Shouldn’t you be leaving? Aren’t you going to be late?” Hyukjae said.
  “I am, I just came to get my chocolates from you.”
  “And why should I give you anything?” Hyukjae asked.
  “Because if you don’t, you won’t get what I got for you,” Donghae said, smirking when Hyukjae was suddenly in front of him with the chocolates he had put to the side.
  “Here. Now, what’d you get me?” he said, trying hard not to bounce up and down in place.  
  Donghae laughed, twirling the little red bag he had put the chocolates in before telling Hyukjae, “Wait here.”
  He stepped out of the room and returned with a jar with a pink ribbon tied around it. Upon further inspection, Hyukjae saw that it was filled to the brim with his favorite strawberry lollipops. He let out a happy squeak when Donghae presented it to him and wrapped his arms around it, cradling it tightly to his chest.
  “I thought you might like that. I see the wrappers to those things everywhere,” Donghae said, smiling brightly when Hyukjae grinned up happily at him looking like… well, a kid in a candy store.
  “Thank you Hae!” Hyukjae said, making Donghae rub at his neck in nervousness.
  “Sure, no problem,” he said, looking away suddenly.
  “Hae hyung, come on! We’re going to be late,” Kyuhyun announced from the doorway.
  “Ah, I’d better get going. I’ll see you guys later tonight,” he said, kissing Jino on the head and giving Hyukjae a small wave. He walked into the living room, where Kibum and Kyuhyun were waiting.
  “Took you long enough,” Kibum said, as Donghae slipped on his shoes and coat.
  “Sorry, Bummie. I had to get my Valentine’s Day gift,” he said, holding up the red bag Hyukjae had given him.
  “I thought I told you not to call me that anymore,” Kibum said, frowning slightly. “And since when do you eat chocolates? I thought you didn’t like sweets?” he asked, watching as Kyuhyun opened the door and ran outside.
  Donghae shrugged. “I guess I just suddenly had a craving for some,” he said with a small smile as he following behind Kyuhyun, leaving Kibum to frown at his weird behavior.