Chapter 2

Watch Over Me

 Hyukjae sat on the curb with his head in his hands as Ryeowook yelled at Yesung in the background.
  “Just what about that seemed like a good idea?!” he yelled at a sheepish-looking Yesung. 
  “I thought it would help. The fire had already gotten so big,” he said as he looked down from the furious gaze Ryeowook was giving him.
  “So you thought flooding the house would put the fire out?! The bathroom is all the way on the other side of the apartment!” Ryeowook felt the familiar throbbing in his head and massaged his temples to try and calm himself. There were too many police officers around and he would not be able to strangle Yesung like he wanted to with so many witnesses around—although no one should really blame him.
  “I just thought if the rest of the house was wet it wouldn’t catch on fire,” he defended himself. And it kind of made sense, in a Yesung sort of way, but now half of their apartment was flooded while the other half was burned.  
  Ryeowook sighed for what seemed like the millionth time and chose to slump down on the curb next to Hyukjae. The other hadn’t said a word since the firefighters informed them the fire was out, but the damage from the water was more extensive than the damage from the fire. 
  “What are we going to do? Where are we supposed to live now?” Ryeowook asked no one in particular.
  “Ddangkoma doesn’t mind sharing his home with us. Isn’t that right Ddang?” he cooed at the turtle that sat happily in its tank. He was completely oblivious to the way Ryeowook had risen from the sidewalk and stalked dangerously to where he stood. 
  It took two police officers and a fireman to pull Ryeowook off of Yesung. 
  Hyukjae watched the scene with glazed eyes--slightly shocked at the strength Ryeowook had hidden in his tiny arms--while still trying to wrap his mind around the fact that he was homeless. While he sullenly wondered what hotels were in the area, he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out, not bothering to look at who the caller was, before answering it.
  “Hello?” 
  “Hyuk, are you okay?” a worried voice came through the receiver. 
  “Well, no, not really. But hyung… how did you know that?” Hyukjae asked.
  “My neighbor told me that she saw a fire on her way home and… well… I’ve been really worried about you since you moved in with Yesung.”
  Hyukjae almost wanted to laugh but one glance to their burnt apartment and his humor died instantly. “Teukie hyung, can you do me a huge favor?” 
 
  “Hyuk!” Leeteuk cried, quickly barreling out of his car, not even bothering to turn off the engine or close the door.
  “Hi hyung,” Hyukjae managed to get out before he was trapped in Leeteuk’s suffocating embrace.
  “Are you okay?!  You didn’t get hurt right?” he said, pulling back to inspect Hyukjae for any signs of damage.
  “I’m fine. By the time Ryeowook and I got here the fire truck was already outside.”
  “How did this even happen?” Leeteuk asked, glancing at their apartment once before turning his worried gaze back to Hyukjae.
  “Apparently Yesung thought it would be a good idea to try to rewire the television so that he could get this nature channel or whatever it was, and ended up starting an electrical fire. He panicked and not even bothering to use one of the many fire extinguishers we have around the house ran to save hisfreaking turtle while our living room burned down,” Hyukjae had moved his hand to pinch the bridge of his nose while he sighed as he remembered the event. 
  “Somewhere along the line, he got the ‘brilliant’ idea to turn on all the water faucets to prevent everything from burning, which cause the major flooding and almost made our floor cave in on the people that live below us, and effectively made our house uninhabitable for the next few months,”  he concluded, desperately wanting to find something to wrap his fingers around—preferably the neck of a certain turtle loving big-headed, small-handed idiot.
  Leeteuk only shook his head as he attempted to smooth out Hyukjae’s tense shoulders. “It’s ok Hyuk. You can stay with me as long as you need to,” Leeteuk said, steering Hyukjae towards his car. 
  “Thanks hyung, I really appreciate it.” Leeteuk just smiled a dimpled smile at Hyukjae as he gently pushed him to the passenger’s side. 
  “By the way, where are Ryeowook and Yesung going to stay?” Leeteuk asked as he climbed in the driver’s side and buckled himself in.
  “Ryeowook is going to stay with one of his friends from the restaurant, and I think Yesung is going to go back home with his parents.”
  “I’m surprised they’re not going to be together.”
  “Well, after this little incident, I think it’s best if Yesung gives Ryeowook some space,” Hyukjae said, conjuring up vivid images of Ryeowook’s face contorted in anger as he furiously clawed at Yesung’s face and neck. Hyukjae almost felt sorry for him. 
  Almost.
 
  Hyukjae was tucking Jino into his bed carefully as to not wake him from his nap. He his hair softly and smiled as he still continued to gently his thumb, even while he was sleeping. After pulling his blankets up he turned and walked out of the room, leaving the door just slightly open. 
  He silently made his way back to the living room, picking up the remnants from the magical quest Jino had been leading him on for the past half hour. When he reached the living room, he sunk heavily into the couch, sighing as he ran a hand through his hair. The house was quiet now, with Donghae at work, Jino sleeping and Kyuhyun at school, so he had some time to think.
  He needed to ask Donghae if he could get an advance on his paycheck, but he hadn’t even been working for two whole days yet. He felt bad just thinking about it, and he really didn’t want Donghae to think he was taking advantage of him. Only now that he thought about it, Donghae was so kind, he would probably give it to him, no questions asked. The thought made Hyukjae feel even worse than before and he sighed heavily as he rested his head in his hands. 
  He didn’t hear the sound of the door clicking over the sound of his deep mulling, so his head shot up in surprise when he heard Donghae’s voice calling his name.
  “Hyukjae?” Donghae eyed him worriedly.
  “Donghae? What are you doing here?”
  “I forgot some important paperwork in my office,” he explained. “What happened?” 
  “What do you mean?” Hyukjae asked in confusion.
  “You looked upset. Is there something wrong?” Donghae walked over to join Hyukjae on the couch.
  “It’s… it’s nothing important.” 
  “It has to be for you to be making a face like that,” Donghae prodded. Hyukjae just looked away, gaze lingering on the borrowed clothing he was wearing. 
  “Tell me what happened,” Donghae coaxed, reaching over to grab Hyukjae’s face in both of his hands and staring into his eyes. 
  “W-what are you doing?” Hyukjae stuttered, as a faint blush spread on his cheeks. 
  “I always do this to the boys when they are keeping something from me,” he responded with a grin. “It never fails,” he winked at Hyukjae, whose blush deepened as a response. “So, what happened?”
  “Well…” he looked at Donghae’s kind eyes and gentle smile before sighing. “The thing is… my roommate kinda set our apartment on fire.” Donghae’s eyes widened in alarm, and they looked even bigger with the close proximity between them. 
  “Are you ok? Was anybody hurt?”
  “No, we’re all fine, it’s just… our apartment is… well, kinda uninhabitable, and I’m staying with a hyung of mine, but I don’t really want to be a burden on him so… I was wondering…”
  “Of course you have to move in with us Hyukjae, I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Donghae said, smiling widely at him.
  “Wait, what?” Hyukjae asked, wondering what he missed. 
  “I said, of course you can move in. We have plenty of room here, and it’ll be easier on you and your friend if you just stayed here. Was that all you were worried about?”
  “No. I mean… yes, but that’s not-“
  “Good. Now, you don’t have to worry about anything. I’ll handle it,” Donghae said with a smile and leaned in to place a kiss on Hyukjae’s forehead. 
  He froze when he felt Hyukjae stiffen and he pulled back, his wide eyes meeting Hyukjae’s equally shocked ones. 
  “Uh, sorry about that. I do it to the boys all the time and I just, you know… out of habit,“ he dropped his hands from Hyukjae face and the latter pulled back quickly. 
  “It’s ok,” he mumbled quickly, rubbing a hand up his arm nervously. 
  “Anyways, uh, do you need to get anything from your friend’s place?” 
  “Uh, not really. Almost all of my things were pretty much destroyed. I’m even wearing my hyung’s clothes,” he said, lifting up both of his arms pitifully to show off the borrowed white long-sleeved shirt. 
  “I guess that means you have some shopping to do,” Donghae said as he reached in his pocket to take out his wallet. He pulled out a platinum credit card and handed it to Hyukjae, who stepped away from it like it had the plague encoded into it. “What’s wrong?”
  “Thank you Donghae, really, but there’s no way I can accept that.”
  “Hyukjae it’s fine. I barely use it myself,” Donghae tried to reason, stepping forward to try and get Hyukjae to take the card, but the latter only took another step back. 
  “Really, Donghae. I’ll be fine until I get paid. I can’t just take your money.”
  “Then, just think of it as an advance on your paycheck.”
  “But-“ their discussion was interrupted as they caught sight of a half-awake Jino stumbling into the room. 
  “Ung,” he mumbled over his thumb, eyes barely open as he wobbled unsteadily.  
  “Jino, what are you doing up? I just put you down for your nap a few minutes ago,” Hyukjae asked, getting up and picking up Jino in his arms. Jino immediately cuddled into Hyukjae’s hold, resting his head on his shoulder as Hyukjae soothingly rubbed his back. 
  He mumbled something incoherent, sleep making his words more jumbled than usual, but Hyukjae could still make out the word frog. He figured he meant his plushie and his eyes scanned the room until he saw the green stuffed animal under the curtains by the window. 
  Hyukjae caught Donghae’s eyes and nodded in the direction of the toy. Donghae walked over and picked it up before walking over to the two. 
  “Here you go Jino,” he said, handing the toy to Jino, who wrapped his tiny arm around it instantly, his eyes closing as he felt the comfort it brought. Donghae smiled before leaning in and kissing him on the head. 
  “Well, I’ve gotta get back to work. I’ll see you two later,” he said, giving Hyukjae a smile. Hyukjae nodded at him and he turned to walk out the door. 
  “Wait,” he called quietly. “You forgot about your paperwork,” Hyukjae reminded him. 
  “Right,” Donghae said as he walked back towards his office and came back waving a black folder at Hyukjae. “Thanks,” he said. 
  He walked to Hyukjae and gave him a sly smile while Hyukjae watched him curiously, before slipping his credit card in the front pocket of his jeans. 
  “Donghae-“ Hyukjae started but Donghae shushed him while gesturing to the already sleeping Jino in his arms. Hyukjae just frowned disapprovingly at him and he replied with a cute lopsided grin, before he was heading out the door. 
  “Good luck shopping,” he whispered, closing the door behind him.
  Hyukjae just sighed and continued to lightly pat Jino’s back as he walked to his room to tuck him back into his bed.