Chapter 5

Watch Over Me

  Hyukjae sat on the closed lid of the toilet seat watching Jino splash water all over the floor from the bathtub in his excitement to catch as many bubbles as he could, while Kyuhyun stood on his step ladder so he could reach the sink to brush his teeth. 
  “Jino-ah, why are you making such a mess, huh?” Hyukjae asked as he moved to place a towel on the floor in front of the tub to soak up some of the water. 
  Jino only grinned up in response, sparkling white suds covering the top and lower half of his face as he scooped up even more of the tiny mystical spheres and smeared them all on Hyukjae face as he kneeled beside the tub.
  “Bherd, hyung!” he squealed, kicking his feet happily at the masterpiece he created on Hyukjae face. 
  “Beard?” Hyukjae asked, pointing to the mess on his face with a wide smile as Jino nodded and splashed some more. 
  “You put too much bubble bath in, hyung. Jino’s never gonna want to get out,” Kyuhyun said, wiping at some of the toothpaste that was around his mouth. 
  “He can’t stay in here forever, or he’s going to shrivel all up,” Hyukjae said, tickling Jino on his toes before he began rinsing out the soap in his hair, sparing a glance at Kyuhyun who was on his tippy toes trying to reach the paper cups by the mirror. 
  Hyukjae stood up, walking over to where Kyuhyun was still struggling and grabbed one of the cups. Kyuhyun pouted at the cup for a little while before taking it. 
  “I coulda got it,” he said. Hyukjae bit back his giggle. 
  “I’m sorry Kyuhyun-ah. I’ll let you get it next time,” Hyukjae stood up and was about to go back to Jino, who had his wash towel in his mouth and was the water out of it, but he felt a hand on his shirt pulling him back. He turned around, but Kyuhyun wasn’t looking at him. 
  “….Can I have a blue one?” he asked in a small voice, still looking away. Hyukjae quietly exchanged the cups, grinning to himself as Kyuhyun said a quiet ‘Thank you’ and began to fill the cup up, taking a sip and filling his cheeks with the water, shaking his head before spitting it into the sink. 
  “Ah, Jino-ah, that has soap in it,” Hyukjae said as he walked back over to the tub, taking the towel away from Jino a little too late. He had his face scrunched up at the unpleasant taste of the soap, and turned to frown at Hyukjae. 
  “Yucky hyung,” he whined, frowning unhappily and sticking his tongue out and Hyukjae laughed at the sight. 
  “I’ve told you to stop eating your towel Jino,” he said, reaching over to pull out the stopper so that the water would drain, rinsing off Jino with the water that was left. “Maybe I should put soap on your thumb to get you to stop it,” Hyukjae thought aloud, causing Jino to shove his thumb in his mouth and start it as if his life depended on it. 
  “Kyu, are you ready?” Donghae called, walking into the bathroom with the other three. 
  “Yes, Hae hyung,” Kyuhyun said, hopping down off the stool and pushing it to the side of the sink. 
  “Your lunch is on the table, Kyuhyun-ah,” Hyukjae said as he grabbed Jino’s towel off the rack and scooped up the wet toddler in his arms. 
  “Is it peanut butter and jelly?” Kyuhyun asked hopefully. 
  “Mm-hmm,” Hyukjae said, delighted at the grin that Kyuhyun let out. 
  “Thanks hyung!” Kyuhyun said before hugging Hyukjae’s leg and bolting out the door.
  “He never got that excited when I made his lunch,” Donghae said with a slight pout.
  “Well, if your lunch was anything like the dinner you tried to make the other day, I don’t think I blame him,” Hyukjae teased, gently toweling off Jino’s wet hair. 
  “Why is Hyukkie hyung so mean to Hae hyung?” Donghae asked Jino, who’s only answer was to blink his eyes and shake his head, still not releasing his thumb from the confines of his mouth, making Donghae walk closer to take his soft cheek between his fingers.  
  “I’m not mea… What did you call me?” Hyukjae asked, eyes wide. 
  “Hmm?” Donghae asked, looking up from cooing and poking Jino’s nose to stare at Hyukjae. “Oh, yeah. Hyukkie, cute, isn’t it?” he asked with a wide smile.
  “Uh… I mean… I don’t…” Hyukjae stammered, fighting with the blush was streaking across his face, but was interrupted by the intercom buzzing by the door. 
  “I’ll get it. It’s probably just Kibum,” he said, walking out of the bathroom. 
  “Kibum? Who’s Kibum?” he asked Jino as he sat him on the sink to dry him off properly.
  “Sistent,” he mumbled out, and Hyukjae took the edge of the towel to tickle his ear, chuckling at the screeching giggle he let out. 
  “I could understand you better if you took this out,” Hyukjae said, tapping a finger against Jino’s hand, but Jino shook his head, not even considering relinquishing his hold. Hyukjae only sighed before tucking him back into his towel and picking him up so that he could dress him in his room. 
  He walked out the bathroom and was on his way to Jino’s room, but he heard Donghae and who he assumed to be Kibum talking in the living room. Letting his curiosity get the better of him, he snuck a peek to get a look at who he understood from Jino to be Donghae’s assistant.
  His back was turned to him, but Hyukjae could see someone with a white button up and some black slacks, hair jet black and artfully mussed. He wanted to get a better look at him, and he got his chance when Donghae noticed his presence. 
  “Ah, Hyukkie, I was just talking about you. Come here, Kibum wants to meet you,”  Donghae gestured to him with a smile on his face.
  “So, I guess the nickname is sticking, huh?” he asked timidly, embarrassed to be addressed like that in front of his assistant. 
  Kibum turned around and Hyukjae took in the other’s smooth features. He was very handsome, more so than Hyukjae would have expected, but there was something in the cold stare he was giving Hyukjae that was making him uneasy. 
  “Hello. I’m Hyukjae, the nanny,” Hyukjae introduced himself, shifting Jino in his arms so he could give the other a small polite bow.
  “It’s nice to finally meet you. I was wondering when I would be able to meet the infamous ‘Hyukjae’. Donghae just won’t shut up about you,” he said pleasantly, gesturing to the suddenly bashful Donghae, who was running a hand through his hair. 
  “Yeah, well he’s really good with the kids and… yeah. Kyu, do you have everything you need for school?” Donghae called out, walking away from the two to go and bother Kyuhyun under the guise of helping him
  “So, how long have you been working for Donghae, exactly?” Kibum asked, voice slowly losing the pleasant tone it had a few seconds ago.
  “Ah, it’ll be a month next week,” Hyukjae said smiling, thinking about how much time had already past. 
  “Hmm, and you’re already living here with him. You sure do move fast.” 
  “… Excuse me?” Hyukjae asked, a frown marring his features at the implications laced in Kibum’s words.
  “Just an observation,” Kibum shrugged. 
  “Well, I sincerely doubt you have any idea what you’re talking about, so I’ll overlook your lack of common sense this once,” Hyukjae said stiffly, trying to calm down because he still had Jino in his arms. 
  “Oh, I know more about this little ‘situation’ than you think, and let me tell you, I won’t sit idly by while you play this little game with Donghae.” 
  “Look, I don’t know what you’re trying to imply, but-“ Hyukjae’s response was cut off by the appearance of Donghae and Kyuhyun. 
  “We’re all ready to go,” he said, oblivious to the tense atmosphere he walked in on. Hyukjae threw one last glare at Kibum, before turning to give Donghae and Kyuhyun a tight smile. 
  “I’ll see you after school, Kyuhyun-ah. Good-bye Donghae,” he said, before turning around and walking back into Jino’s room. 
  He sat Jino down on the floor and moved to his drawer, pulling out some clothes for him to wear and walked back to where he stood and sat down in front of him, dressing him up as gently as he could with the waves of anger he could feel rolling off of his skin. 
  Just what the hell was that? How dare he even think that he would do something like that to Donghae? Hyukjae would never take advantage of Donghae, or anybody for that matter. Hyukjae bite his lip and tried to concentrate on buttoning up Jino’s clothes, but every few seconds Kibum’s face would pop up into his mind and he would get all fired up again. 
  “Hyung,” Jino’s tiny voice pulled him out of his angry musing.
  “Yes, Jino-ah?” 
  “What matter?” he asked, tilting his head to the side as he awaited Hyukjae’s answer. Hyukjae’s anger all but dissipated at the cute sight and he sighed to himself before smiling slightly and reaching up to muss Jino’s now dry hair. 
  “It’s nothing. Hyung was just a little upset, but I’m better now.” Jino smiled and leaned down to pat Hyukjae’s knee with his free hand in a somewhat comforting manner.
  “‘S okay hyung!” he chirped over his thumb, making Hyukjae chuckle at the attempt to cheer him up.
  “Aigoo, why are you so cute, huh?” he asked, squeezing Jino’s cheeks and kissing him on the forehead. “Hyung has to go change out of this wet shirt, but then we can go watch RoRo, ok?” Jino nodded happily, jumping up and down in place excitedly. 
  “Go wait for hyung in the living room, ok?” Jino wasted no time in running out of the room and leaving a smiling Hyukjae in his room.
  Hyukjae stood up, taking in his wet shirt before walking to his room to put on a dry one. He had discarded the gray t-shirt and pulled out a clean white one when he heard his door open. 
  “I’ll be there in a second Jino, I just have to-“ Hyukjae turned around and froze, eyes wide and clutching his shirt to his chest when he saw that it was Donghae who was standing in his doorway. Donghae’s eyes were just as wide as Hyukjae’s and he blinked and stammered trying to form a coherent sentence. 
  “Uh… I’m sorry. I p-probably should’ve… knocked,” he said, finally regaining some sense and looking down and away from the strangely tempting sight of his half nanny. 
  “N-no, it’s alright,” Hyukjae said, pulling the shirt over his head and cursing to himself. Why was he acting like such a girl? 
  “Did you um, need something?” Hyukjae cleared his throat once the shirt was safely in place, turning around in fear that his red face would embarrass him even more. 
  Donghae peeked up cautiously, making sure he wouldn’t see anything he shouldn’t before speaking. 
  “I uh, just wanted to make sure you were ok. You seemed kinda… upset.” Hyukjae frowned at the face that popped into his mind when Donghae said that, and unfortunately there was no cute Jino around to diffuse his anger.
  “I’m fine. I was just... sad to see you guys go,” Hyukjae said, turning around to give Donghae a teasing smile. Donghae's answering smile was bright.
  “We’ll be back soon enough. You’ll be sick of us by the end of the night.” 
  “You maybe, but never Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae laughed. 
  “This is the thanks I get for checking up on you? I’m so hurt,” Donghae said, clutching at his chest and shaking his head in mock sadness. 
  “Don’t worry about me. I’m fine. Really,” Hyukjae said, more convincing this time.
  “Good. But, don’t be afraid to talk to me if you need to, alright?” 
  “Okay. Thanks Donghae,” Hyukjae said, gratitude clear in his voice and features. 
  “I’ll see you later,” Donghae grinned at him. “Don’t miss me too much,” he winked at Hyukjae, causing a pretty pink to appear on his cheeks.
  “I’ll be too busy putting a lock on my door to stop creeps from ing on me,” he retorted, no longer caring about his blush and finding extreme satisfaction in the color that was on Donghae’s face as he turned to walk away.