Baekhyun & Chanyeol

Broken Wings
 

 

B  a  e  k  h  y  u  n       &       C  h  a  n  y  e  o  l                                        

                                        

 

Kyungsoo stretched out his legs and filled his lungs with the fresh air of the morning.

Mornings like this usually bring a peaceful and serene feeling, despite all the hustle and bustle of the busy city surrounding them.

Baekhyun got out of the car a shortly after him, he was wearing a smile that seemed to brighten the day even more. Kyungsoo saw him and smiled along, he knew that the reason of that smile had Park as its last name and Chanyeol as the first one and was strictly linked to the fact that the tall boy was returning from Japan today.

His friend had called him the previous night being loud and excited, asking for help to prepare what he considered the most significative surprise for his boyfriend: Baekhyun wanted to cook something to celebrate Chanyeol’s first business trip with his father.

These days without the younger had passed slowly and Baekhyun never thought he could miss someone with such intensity –besides Kyungsoo, of coourse. Every time he would hear the younger’s deep voice on the other side of the line he had to almost bite his own lip to suppress the need to say how much he needed him back. That was a very important trip not only for Chanyeol but for Mr. Park as well and he didn’t want to be the one who would ruin everything by distracting him.

They walked in comfortable silence to the door of the small store.

Kyungsoo was enjoying the breeze against his skin and the soft and warm sunlight covering him while Baekhyun did a countdown of the six hours and twenty eight minutes before Chanyeol was supposed to arrive.

The glass doors opened and the older took one of the few shopping carts.

“Are you sure going to a real supermarket wasn’t the best option here?”

“Soo, look around” –the hallways of the small grocery store were full of canned or frozen food, sodas, candies and a few fancy bottles of wine– “All I can cook is here, I don’t need anything else”

Baekhyun reached out to fix Kyungsoo’s hair before brushing his own with his fingers, shrug his shoulders and walk further into the hallway. The younger sighed and whispered under his breath.

‘Cook or heat?’ –but he smiled.

He checked some of the stuff on the shelves, trying to help as much as possible, he remembered this was the first time his friend tried to do something like this for someone. Not even for him, not even once –to not say at all.

A kitchen and Baekhyun didn’t get along all too well.

His eyes stopped on a familiar figure a few meters away. He was checking his phone while taking a strawberry yogurt from one of the fridges.

Kyungsoo approached slowly.

“Joonmyeon?”

“Soo, what are you doing here?”

The latter couldn’t say a word, Baekhyun was back with a bottle of Italian sauce in his hand and asking something like if his friend has already tried to make something with it.

“Hi, Mr Kim. Since we haven’t been introduced as it should be, my name is Byun Baekhyun and it’s a pleasure to finally meet you personally”

“It’s indeed my pleasure, my name is Kim Joonmyeon but please call me Joonmyeon”

“Kyungsoo has talked about you, Joonmyeon”

“Really?” –both, Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo, asked at the same time.

“Soo, I think this is all what I’m going to need. We can now just go home and give Joonmyeon a ride”

“I don't want to be a burden and you two seem to be busy. There’s no need, thank you for the offer”

“We won’t accept a no as an answer, Joon. But first let’s have a cup of coffee”

Coming from Kyungsoo, nothing left to say.

 

The small interesting chat shared –mainly between Kyungsoo and Joonmyeon– while they enjoyed the company of each other made Baekhyun realize there was something different in the way his friend smiled to the other, different from the way he smiled to Jongin. Something in his eyes changes automatically when he sees him, Baekhyun has noticed that since the first time he saw Kyungsoo around Joonmyeon.

His friend isn't usually one to be comfortable with someone he met just some days ago.

Jongin was indeed a sweet guy who had always take care of Kyungsoo, but from his point of view, there was something about Joonmyeon that would make him look like the perfect one for his younger friend.

He couldn’t help but feel bad for Jongin, the boy wasn’t the closest among his friends but he couldn’t deny he had a lot to thank him for and thinking how good Kyungsoo looked with Joonmyeon wasn’t the best way to do it, truth to be told.

“Mr. Byun? I’ve been told to take you home right now”

“Mr. Jung, it's nice to see you but I brought my car. Tell them to not worry too much, I learnt how to drive since I was sixteen” –he smiled, a small trace of pain in his words but well covered with cynicism.

“Mr. Byun, they asked me to take you with me, there’s someone your mother wants you to meet”

“Tell her I’m with Soo in the middle of something, she can call me or text me to pick a date and place”

“I’m afraid you don’t understand, the person is waiting for you in the house. That’s why they asked me to take you there, Mr. Byun”

Baekhyun observed his best friend, the later assured him it was fine with a small smile and a slight nod.

“Soo, take my keys. Take Joonmyeon to his home and please take what we bought with you to your apartment, I’ll see you there later okay?”

The Byuns' only son got up from his chair, excused himself and left the place followed by Mr. Jung.

 

As son as he got in the car that has been sent for him, he called his mother three times without any response on the other side. He noticed he had a message from Chanyeol: a picture of the plane ready to be boarded in Tokyo.

Baekhyun answered with a picture of him sending a kiss, the text read ‘I’m waiting for you here’ followed by a heart.

 

As he reached the hall of his own house he felt like going to war, he was ready to tell his mother what thought of his belated worry. The figure of another guy holding a glass of white wine accompanied by another woman who seemed to enjoy the talk with his mother was what made him stopand recall patience. He wouldn’t forget his manners.

He fixed his posture, brushed his hair with his fingers and walked slowly into the room.

“Baekhyun, sweetheart, I’m so glad you’re back. Do you remember…”

“Jonghyun-hyung?” –the said man now faced him smiling, placed the glass on one of the small tables and hugged him tightly.

“It’s good to see you’ve grown up, handsome as always, Baek”

Both mothers smiled to each other in some sort of complicity before rising their glasses in a dead silence and take a sip from them.

 

The talk with Jonghyun and his mother was indeed good. The other has lived and studied in New York for the last nine years now. His life was full of exciting experiences, unlike Baekhyun who was always surrounded by the same walls in his mansion. That was before he met Chanyeol, of course.

He had to take a cab to Kyungsoo’s apartment. He observed his car parked outside –he almost ran the stairs to the second floor and knocked on the 23rd door.

With no time to explain and give him details about his short meeting with his old friend because Chanyeol would be back in less then three hours and yet he still has a lot to do, he practically took in a rush all they’ve bought earlier, carried it to the car before heading right to his boyfriend’s place and use his own key to get in.

His cooking skills weren’t as solid as Kyungsoo’s, but he was sure he would make something at least eatable and that Chanyeol would appreciate the effort –or at least that’s what he wanted to believe.

It was thirty minutes after six when the bell rang. Baekhyun had the time to take a shower, change his clothes and comb his hair in something pretty nice and new for the occasion.

He smiled widely and lighted on the three candles on the table. He headed to the door and opened just enough to throw himself –carefreely– to Chanyeol’s arms and kiss him without any warning.

He felt Chanyeol’s smile against his own lips.

“This is so far the best welcoming I've ever received, babe”

“And it has just started”

He took the other’s hand and guided him inside, closing the door behind them and protecting from the world their small but sweet piece of paradise.

 

Two years after getting to know the real Chanyeol, Baekhyun started to dream about a life with him. Maybe traveling around the world after graduating, having a nice dinner with his family to officially announce their engagement and even thinking about the day of his wedding.

He considered the younger the right one to him, the person with the one he could and would be gladly to share the rest of his life.

Everytime Chanyeol would tell him he had to accompany his father to a business meeting, and even the day he tould him he would go along with his father in a business trip to Japan for the first time and after Baekhyun congratulated him, the younger told him he need to start to make some money to give him all what he wanted when they get married.

Baekhyun’s heart trembled with his words.

Even if Chanyeol looked like that careless being he actually wasn’t, Baekhyun really liked to think about the possibility of having a wedding with the man of his dreams.

 

He opened his eyes to the light seeping through the window and smiled –Chanyeol was still laying there, sleeping soundly beside him.

His messy hair, lips still a bit swollen and his bare torso brought to him memories of the night before and softly kissed the younger’s lips before shifting in his embrace to be even closer to him and hide a bit more under the sheets. 

Chanyeol tasted the warmth feeling upon his lips while he closed his arms around his boyfriend –the blonde fitted perfectly between his arms.

“I love you” –he kissed the other’s head. 

The older pressed his lower lips between his teeth while he repeated again and over again the same words in his mind.

“I love you, too, Chanyeol” –he managed to say against the other’s lips.

This was the life he yearned for –wake up beside Chanyeol every single morning. For the younger, he was even willing to learn how to cook properly.

“Do we have something to do today, Baekkie?”

“I have a family dinner” –the younger pouted– “at six. We have practically all day long to us”

 

Baekhyun drove his car to the garage of his pretty house –not home, but house only– around five, his mother has strictly asked him to dress elegant and even when it took every inch of self-control to stay Chanyeol’s apartment, the last thing he wanted to do was make his mother angry after staying out all night.

He went upstairs and right to his room, he could hear his mother’s voice bossing around in one of the rooms to make the servants move things from here to there –his father was probably still locked in his office, signing papers and checking some emails.

He simply avoided uncomfortable questions and limited himself to take a warm and relaxing shower and dress according to his mother’s rules. 

 

The image of a classic black suit matching with his necktie, white button up shirt and his blond hair perfectly combed to a side was the perfect contrast to slight touch of his black eyeliner –it made him proud, he smiled victorious to it.

He placed around his left wrist the bracelet Chanyeol had gifted him for their first anniversary together, the word fearless was engraved on it.

He then decided to head to the dining room just to be redirected to the main room, he was surprised by their guests, but it was good to see his old friend again.

“Jonghyun-hyung” –followed by a hug.

The glasses were filled with champagne and soon his father offered a toast for the occasion –whatever the occasion was, Baekhyun raised his glass.

A few short conversations and meaningless minutes later, it was Jonghyun who decided to say something. He placed his glass on one of the trays and pushed his hand inside his pocket.

From Baekhyun’s spot, he looked like a real business gentleman.

“I want to thank to Mr and Mrs Byun for the opportunity to greet you all, but specially you, Baek” –he started– “I don’t think it’s unknown for any of you that we’ve been friends since we were kids –though, I must say that you have grown up a lot more handsome than what I would have even imagined it to. It’s fortunate to have the chance to see you again and talk to you as we used to”

Baekhyun slightly smiled and took a sip from his glass, under the expectant look of the others.

“I want to make use of this given opportunity to ask you, Mr and Mrs Byun, the privilege to trust me and grant me the bless of your son’s hand in marriage”

Jonghyun took out of his pocket a small red box, he slowly stepped closer before getting on one knee in front of Baekhyun. Inside the small box an authentic diamond showed his brightest side.

Baekhyun observed the people surrounding him, Jonghyun’s parents smiled proudly, his own parents as well –everyone smiling, except him.

Seeing no reaction from him, his mother got closer to Jonghyun and took his hands in her own and asked him to stand.

“Of course, Jonghyun. We already consider you part of this family”

The answer took Baekhyun off guard –he didn’t even feel the cold ring around his finger.

“Mom, can we talk please?” –he whispered to his mother, she nodded and followed him out of the room.

 

“What is all this about?” –he pressed harshly– “I’m not marrying Jonghyun, I have a boyfriend already!”

“Baekhyun, sweetheart, it’s time for you to grow up. Chanyeol is just a student love affair, Jonghyun is an appropriated man for you”

“You don’t get it” –the words started to leave his mouth with trace of worry, fear and desperation at the same time– “I love Chanyeol, we are going to get married someday. He’s the love of my life”

“Sweetie, don’t be ridiculous, Chanyeol is not the right for you”

“You can’t do this to me, mom…dad”

“His father is aware of this and he’s perfectly fine with the decision”

“Please, don’t do this” –his eyes filled with tears– “You can’t do this to me, please”

“We need to go back inside, it’s rude-”

Baekhyun shook his head no, tears rolling down his cheeks at that point.

Soon, he found himself inside his car, driving as fast as he could to Chanyeol –forcing his mother to lie in excuse for his behavior. He’s too excited –he could imagine her saying.

A worried Chanyeol embraced him once again that night, the younger tried to lull his cries assuring him everything was going to be alright.

 

“Jongin did what?!” –Baekhyun listened carefully this time.

“He cheated on me, he has feelings for Sehun”

“I heard that part, I kind of see that coming, but you said he broke up with you? Him, with you?”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and took a sip from his orange juice –he will take the coffee later– while Baekhyun kept spitting out ridiculous questions that only showed two things: his deep unbelief about how incapable Jongin was to have feelings for someone else and his clear excitement because now he could try to push Kyungsoo closer to Joonmyeon in the most shameless way.

More than just like friends.

He smiled to the idea. The night before he had a good time with Joonmyeon. In his insides, Kyungsoo was somehow proud of Jongin being responsible for his decisions and evident feelings.

“Hey, I almost forget to tell you” –Baekhyun searched in his pocket without the slightest care the beautiful ring and showed it to his friend.

“Chanyeol asked-”

“I wish it was from Chanyeol” –his sight traveled lower, Kyungsoo knew what it meant.

“It’s from that Jonghyun, right? You father probably planned everything out beforehand”

“And don’t forget my mother, I think she’s the happiest one with all of this” –he sighed– “probably because she’s the one who approves our relationship even less than what my father does”

“What did Chanyeol say about it?”

“He pretends he doesn’t care I know him too well to know the opposite” –he placed the ring back inside his pocket– “Chanyeol and I…it doesn’t matter what happens, I won’t leave him”

“Baek, now you’re engaged with another guy, how do think you would fix that?”

“I don’t know but if Chanyeol and I are together, whatever my parents say or do I don’t care at all, they had showed me once again how poorly they care about me” –he stopped and saw his wristwatch– “Let’s talk later, okay? I told Jonghyun-hyung we will have lunch together”

“I’ll call you later, then”

 

Baekhyun struggled at the main door of the fancy restaurant.

For some reason he wasn’t mad at Jonghyun, he was just anxious about the possible topic to talk about. In the end, he asked for the said man to the receptionist and she guided him with a flirty smile on his face.

Jonghyun was sitting there, waiting for him and ready to start a conversation.

Baekhyun stayed in silence and Jonghyun cleared his throat.

“Baek” –he started– “I’m sorry about last night”

Baekhyun choked on his glass of water a bit –that was the very last thing he had thought to hear.

“I know you weren’t expecting that and I can tell you weren’t happy at all but I’m glad you came”

“Hyung, it’s not you-”

“It’s about the one you love” –Jonghyun interrupted, his lips curving upwards in a soft smile– “What’s his name?”

“Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol”

Jonghyun nodded in improvement –he probably didn’t know the man but he considered Baekhyun smart enough to date a good guy.

“I suppose your parents don’t approve your relationship”

“They don’t”

“Here’s the thing” –the heir straightened his posture and got closer– “I’m becoming the CEO for the third part of my parent’s businesses soon and he thinks I should get married before that because I’ll need someone who will take good care of me”

“Hyung, I’m sorry but I don’t love you that way”

“No offense but I feel the same way as you” –he sighed– “Baekhyun, listen, I proposed to you because that was what my parents wanted me to do. A marriage with you isn’t only about sharing our lives but it also will create an unbreakable business bond between our families. The truth is, my dear Hyunnie, I met someone while I was in New York”

“Who is he?” –Baekhyun was smiling now.

“He was an art student in the university I studied, we dated for a year and then I introduced him to my parents”

“Let me guess, they didn’t approve him”

“Something worse than that, my mother told him it didn’t matter how much money his family had, he should be ashamed of wasting his life as a stupid ballerina and that he should stop wasting my time as well. He broke up with me after that, he told me I deserved someone better”

“And you accepted it?”

“I guess I was a coward”

“Oh, you definitely were” –Baekhyun chuckled– “Hyung, Cahnyeol and I have been together for over two years, I’m not leaving him no matter what my parents say. You should have done the same back in New York because now we are engaged and I don’t see a way out of this”

“I could never force you to be unhappy the rest of your life, Baek. We will get out of this, trust me”

Baekhyun nodded and reached out to squeeze Jonghyun’s hand in his.

“I think you should call him and say you were wrong and how you truly feel”

“It’s probably too late for that”

“Never is too late to try to be happy”

Baekhyun smiled once again and said goodbye.

Jonghyun starred to a blank spot somewhere. He slowly took his phone out of his pocket and dialed a familiar number –someone picked up on the other side.

“Key?”

 

 

When Jonghyun finally introduced Kim Kibum to Baekhyun, the latter could see how much the older loved the guy.

As his friend had described him, Key had a bright fun personality, friendly and caring –he was Jonghyun’s perfect match.

The older has risked all what he had and broke the engagement explaining why with a firm state: I love Kibum.

Of course his parents had tried to make him change his mind but he didn’t, he stayed loyal to his feelings for his true lover and Baekhyun couldn’t be more proud.

Now there he was, standing in an expensive suit at his friend’s engagement party –Chanyeol looking tall and handsome as always by his side.

 

“Baekhyun, I love you so much” –he breathed against his forehead before leaving a kiss and walking to Mr and Mrs Byun, Baekhyun trying to stop him.

He failed.

“Baekhyun, sweetheart, who is this young handsome man?”

Baekhyun cleared his throat but Chanyeol didn’t wait for his answer.

“I’m Park Chanyeol, Mrs Byun. I’m very glad to meet you” – he introduced himself.

“Chanyeol, I must say you look more handsome in person and it’s good to see you get along with Jonghyun”

“Thank you, Mrs Byun, but actually I also came here to talk to you and Mr Byun about something very important”

The lady turned to his husband who nodded in agreement.

“We are all ears, my dear”

Chanyeol gathered every drop of courage in his own before starting.

“I think it’s not something unknown for you that your son and I have been together for long enough now and I truly love him. He’s the most important to me, but I’m afraid I’ll move to Japan in six months”

“That’s a shame, Mr Park”

“I…to be honest, I want to ask your son’s hand in marriage”

“Darling, you two are too young to get married”

“The point is, Mrs Byun, my father had decided for good to trust me and put me in charge as CEO of Parks’ group in Japan”

“That’s interesting, Mr Park, congratulations” –this time was Mr Byun who talked.

“Thank you, sir, I love your son and I’ll be complete only if you trust me the most precious thing to you”

“I-” –Baekhyun spoke– “I love him too, dad”

Baekhyun’s parents fell silent for a brief moment.

“Every business man needs someone by his side to take good care of him, as I always say” –Mr Byun looked at them– “Mr Park, we’ll need to talk further about this later”