Kyungsoo and Joonmyeon - Part 1

Broken Wings
 

 

K  y  u  n  g  s  o  o       &       J  o  o  n  m  y  e  o  n       P  a  r  t       1                                        

 

The unavoidable feeling of doubt and helplessness stayed drowning his days and only Kyungsoo was able to hide them in the back of Joonmyeon’s head for almost three months.

It has been almost five months since the one who used to be a guardian angel decided to leave his wings and change them for an unaware feeling to his nature –and even forbidden in some way.  His place was by Kyungsoo’s side as something else than just a sensation on his skin, without caring about the consequences of his already accepted future.

He brought Kyungsoo closer and kissed the top of his head, not knowing how long a life together as perfect as this very moment could last for them.

The younger was peacefully thumbing through one of the many books about fantasy and crazy but interesting theories he keeps on an old shelf, or piled on the floor.

“You know a lot of good stories and you’re also very good at relating them, I want hear one” –he closed the book in his hands and placing it to aside he shifted in his place, in Joonmyeon’s arms, getting as closer as it was possible.

The older sighed and stayed quiet for a moment, searching and analyzing before starting.

“Long time ago, as some people say, that Greek gods and goddesses decided to endow a small amount of men and women, privileging them with powerful abilities and amazing and incomparable strengths. One of those men was Orion, who was gifted with a supernatural aiming and precision, making him the indispensable hunter to the gods’ will”

Kyungsoo’s fingers played with Joonmyeon’s as he carefully listened to the story.

“So brave, able and handsome he was that Aphrodite laid her beautiful eyes on him, the goddess fell in love with a human but Orion couldn’t return her feelings because his heart already belonged only to the nymphs. A goddess wasn’t someone to reject and, as revenge for Orion’s fearlessly behavior, she turned the nymphs into stars so they can be always away from her hunter. Orion’s feelings were so strong that, as some people used to say, he begged to Zeus to let him go to their side, leaving everything behind just for their love. Zeus was compassionate and also pictured him in the skies accompanying the night, right to the nymphs’ side, making their love remembered trough the times”

Joonmyeon observed Kyungsoo, the latter seemed lost in his own thoughts and his own memories. The younger was aware all what his guardian angel sacrificed for him –a page in one of his books pictures it in the most horrible and inhumanly way. 

The truth is that, when an angel leaves his place –no matter his reasons– it’s not a friendly farewell the last thing he knows about his previous life. Joonmyeon, as any other exiled angel, owned those particular scars for a reason.

His wings were both broken and torn away from their place.

Kyungsoo gulped, as some sort of reflex, imagining the indescribable pain. Angels can’t feel anything, they don’t experience cold or hot, neither physical pain nor satisfaction, they are perfect creatures who belong to a totally different world where even those small sensation like a single touch could offer have no place. To think about what it feels like was –that suffocating pain– was making the knot in his throat grow tighter and bigger, duplicating its size and stopping his words. His fists were strongly closed, trapping Joonmyeon’s white t-shirt inside, to think that everything was indeed his fault.

“It is not what you think, it’s not like that at all” –the older observed with the eyes of his soul and could know through them the direction where Kyungsoo’s thoughts were heading to. “I’m happier now, with you, I’m happier than ever before”

“I’m sorry”

“Don’t be, I have nothing to forgive you for. I love you, I really do, and for you I would do it all over again if it was necessary. I don't regret a thing”

“I love you, too”

The night disappeared as fast as Joonmyeon could wish the next day would so he could head right to home and find Kyungsoo laying on the couch, going through one of his books and looking adorable with his big reading glasses on.

Joonmyeon smiled to the thought, but after opening the door of their little house his smiled vanished in the air: the one sitting on the couch, waiting for him with Kyungsoo’s favorite book in his hands was Luhan.

He knew something wasn’t good and Kyungsoo was nowhere to be found in the room, he then feared of the truth.

There was no sign of Kyungsoo in the entire house.

Luhan had a gentle face and total serenity filled his soft voice. His presence was a soothing gift delivered from heaven but the bitter news he was sent to give were perfectly hide behind his angelic being.

“Luhan, where is Kyungsoo?”

“I’m sorry, you knew sooner or later something like this would happen”

 

Holding a book in his hands, his left leg crossed upon his right and his milky-white skin shining under the faint sunlight barely seeping through the leaves of the tree, covering him with its soft sensation, Joonmyeon observed attentively something beyond the pages of his book.

April is finally starting and the flowers seem to notice it.

The 312 page of his book stays quiet since over an hour now. His line of vision keeps playing, traveling all the way from a single word in the last line of the page to a young man’s lips seating under a tree just a few meters away.

Time has passed slow and paused for the one that used to be an angel.

The guilt and remorse of the cold disconcert about what Kyungsoo may have suffered was a repetitive sound of disgrace in his memories. So threatening and incessant.

Kyungsoo didn’t leave his side –he would never give everything up and leave him just like that, not after all what they had accomplished together– he was forced away from his arms and his life.

His soul was condemned to wander around in time and space until he could come back to life in another body, as another person, one that didn’t have a single thought or idea about his previous life and about the person that used to be the love of his life. Forcing Joonmyeon to stay 104 years alone –expecting– searching for answers and hints that could guide him to Kyungsoo again and, somehow, be close to him.

Those hints seemed to take him to the right place: Kyungsoo was now a young college student who loved the books as much as he did once.

Joonmyeon smiled observing the latter.

He was reading a book with the exact same expression, that same small frown immediately told him he was deeply focused and the constant way he his own lips assured him that he was anxious for some reason.

He was the same as always, his Kyungsoo, the one he held in his arms and the same that loved to listen to his old stories. Every single inch of his body looked exactly the same, only missing his reading glasses.

He observed him, thoroughly and lost in his own thoughts and memories, until his eyes met the younger’s.

Joonmyeon suppressed the need to run to him, caress his cheek and match his lips with his own in a tender but significant kiss before Kyungsoo could even react, His heart was racing, strongly beating, almost ready to leave his chest in any moment.

The hot feeling of seeing him again increasing the voracious need to taste his lips again. 

Kyungsoo seemed surprised and just for a minute Joonmyeon thought that maybe Luhan was wrong and just maybe the younger really remembered him. Maybe he remembered their life together and all what they sacrificed and how fiercely they fought for their love. Luhan’s words were clear and concise, without a doubt or hidden possibilities, but Joonmyeon didn’t lose his faith, still hoping for something different in their case.

Kyungsoo felt his heart skip a beat and just for a moment his mind seemed to try to exhume something inexistent. The strange feel forming in his stomach made him wonder if he already met the man before.

And then, Joonmyeon smiled.

A small smile that maybe could allow him to get closer, enough to introduce himself and prove that Luhan’s warning was nothing but empty words, or to just realize that Luhan didn’t fail as he never did before.

Kyungsoo smiled back, shy and passive but definitely honest. 

The older debated between reason and feels, penning his impulsive thoughts in an intent to stay calm and don't rush anything. As much as the truth hurts him, if Kyungsoo remembered everything, he would share much more than just a friendly smile.

The smile vanished as a tanned boy walked to Kyungsoo, taking a place beside him and sliding his arm on the latter’s shoulders.

Before Joonmyeon could even try to decipher the situation, the boy got even closer and placed a soft kiss on the corner of Kyungsoo’s mouth, who just smiled back, not flinching even a bit or trying to push him away. He just looked to the boy and smiled right before got back to the book in his hands again. He let the other play with the hair that covered part of his forehead, putting it aside.

Joonmyeon felt a knot forming in his throat and preventing him to even properly think. The memories tortured him and wandered one after another in his mind, over and over again in front of his eyes until they formed tears of helplessness mixed with hurt.

To the moment that Kyungsoo looked back to where Joonmyeon was, the only thing he could see was a brown book on the bench. He slowly got up, excusing himself for a minute.

He stepped closer to the place, took the book in his hands, it looked worn-out and nothing but old. He decided to check it, searching for anything that could help him to return it to its owner. 

An image in one of the pages caught his attention. It pictured two angels, tearing off the wings of a third one. An unusual cold feeling traveled down his back, he decided to keep looking for something else.

To his surprise, a single name was written in one of the last blank pages, clean and clear handwriting drawing each words: Do Kyungsoo.

It was somehow his book.

 

Days passed, and the presence of the mysterious book in Kyungsoo’s apartment was growing heavier and thick, just like the doubts assaulting his already messed mind. Who was that guy? Why did he have a book with his name? Was this actually his book? Why did the guy seem so gentle and familiar to him?

Those disturbing illustrations in the book overtook his dreams one night and another again, without leaving him a chance to rest and have some peace of mind –filling his mornings with nothing but an empty and uncomfortable feeling in his chest.

Something in the sequence was missing, something to unveil the missing piece. Once again, his imagination was playing absurd games, making him believe that it was actually something missing.

It was only a book, one that he probably owned long time ago or maybe something even easier than that, maybe the real owner has the same name and this was nothing but a crazy coincidence in simpler words.   

Any of the two, finding the guy who forgot it there was the wiser solution to the problem.

The helplessness came along with days without seeing even a sign of the guy, everything pointed to the fact that he had no intentions to return to the place.

It wasn’t until seventeen long days later, right when Kyungsoo had lost any hint of hope about it, that he saw him sited at the same bench but holding another book in his hands.

Kyungsoo stepped closer, slowly and unsure because he didn’t know if it was a good idea after all, talk to a stranger wasn’t something he used to do every time he walked to the park –not even mentioning that if Jongin got to know about it he would probably get mad at him for even thinking about it, arguing that he could probably be in some sort of danger and being an innocent prey to some psycho. 

Standing just a few short steps away, Kyungsoo cleared his throat and excused himself but froze as he met the guy’s eyes and suddenly forgot his previously practiced introduction. Joonmyeon closed his book, got on his feet and gifted a smile. He had waited for something like this for so long and the day suddenly seemed brighter than it was before. 

“I’m sorry, I don’t want to disturb but” –Kyungsoo opened his mouth to say something, anything, but nothing came out. It was like if the words simply ran away from his mind with the speed of a bullet train or something. He had to force something out to try to not look like a complete freak “I think this is yours” 

He held the book in between them.

“Kyungsoo?”

“I’m sorry, do you know me?”

Joonmyeon smiled once again because if only Kyungsoo knew that there is nothing that he actually doesn’t know about him. Having Kyungsoo in front of him the smiles seemed to just come naturally, he could just smile nonstop and remember how much the younger loved that smile. 

And how much he loved Kyungsoo.

“The book is actually yours”

“Are you sure? I saw you forgot it right here the last time”

“Well, some time ago it was actually yours, you forgot it and I never had the chance to give it back to you until now. I’m glad you were the one who found it, after all, it has your name”

“Thanks…”

“Joonmyeon, Kim Joonmyeon, but call me Joon” –he older offered his hand. The contact with the younger’s skin shook him, he missed that soft but piercing feeling against his skin. 

“Nice to meet you, Joon. I’m Do Kyungsoo”

The name coming from Kyungsoo’s lips tasted like glory. It carried many memories that chased him even after they broke the contact and were forced to share shy goodbyes –a matter of time: Kyungsoo had classes in thirty minutes and Joonmyeon had to start his new job as a barista in a coffee shop in downtown in around two hours.

‘I’ll see you around I guess’ were Kyungsoo’s last words before starting his way and Joonmyeon has never wished with so much effort in his life that he could just stop the time and spend hours and hours lost in those expressive eyes.

Joonmyeon simply nodded and limited himself to watch as Kyungsoo turned around and walked out of his sight.

Opening the front door of his apartment, Joonmyeon realized he wasn’t alone and observed his friend sitting on the couch –his lips slowly forming a smile.

“Luhan? What are you doing here?”

“I have good news for you, I finally came to an agreement with the archangels”

Joonmyeon observed him, confused for a while before closing the door behind him and making his way to the couch as well.

“Joon, I know how hard all of this has been for you, you’re my friend. So I found a way for you to become human, a mortal like Kyungsoo and you know it means you both could be together without any risk of being separated again like last time”

“Are you sure of this?”

“A hundred percent. The archangels agreed to give you another chance, only if you prove your love –the love you feel for Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo for you– is really pure and lasting. You have to find a way to make him remember you, that’s the only way to know if that’s the truth and if this all worth it”

Silence for a moment.

“But there is something else, you have only thirty days and you can absolutely not tell him the truth, you will have to let him remember who he used to be, who he is, by himself”

“And what if I don’t make it? What if Kyungsoo doesn’t get to remember everything before thirteen days? Or what if he doesn’t want to? You know, he has a life, family, friends now”

“You know how it works, the archangels always need a guarantee –an assurance,” –Luhan smiled bitterly to a side– “I offered my wings as your guarantee”

“Luhan”

“I trust you and Kyungsoo, I believe in your love”

Joonmyeon thanked in silence and stayed still for a moment.

“He’s with someone already”

“I know, I guess you’ll have to compete there, don’t you think? But after all of what you guys went through, I think you have the advantage”

 

If only a year ago someone would come and tell him that today he would be walking right beside the younger in such a bright and sunny day –a bit warmer than the previous ones, going through a few exciting moments filled with nothing but silence as thick as the shadow provided by the nearest tree, he would have thought that person was definitely crazy. Playing some kind of bitter joke, making him grow even more attached to the idea of having Kyungsoo in his life again and clinging even stronger to the suffocating memories hidden in every corner of their old apartment, the one Joonmyeon never sold.

 

To Kyungsoo, finding Joonmyeon was a happy coincidence. The older never left any of his thoughts during the last 24 hours, he was mysterious yet interesting. The book itself causes a warm belonging feeling, but not a single memory that could confirm that it actually belonged to him as the other said. 

It was confusing, though. Even if that book belonged to someone else with his same name, he repeated to himself the exact same explanation that Joonmyeon gave him until he got to believe it, just to keep the only bond with the latter and to not lose contact with him.

“Thanks for the coffee, Joon-ssi”

Joonmyeon only smiled, Kyungsoo keeps on treating him like a stranger, never dropping the formalities, but he smiled to the way the younger seemed nervous and excited at the same time.

About the book, do you know what is it about? Have you ever read it?

The older took a sip from his coffee and sighed. He had to choose very wisely his words, their future together depended a lot on what he does and says –this time Luhan was also involved.

“I’ve read it and I know very well what it is about. But what about you?”

“I couldn’t read it, to be honest, every time I try to there is something stopping me from doing so”

 “Well, it is a pretty intense story, I would tell. I’m very sure you would finish it someday and then you’ll understand”

“Or you can just tell me now”

The request took Joonmyeon off guard. They stopped and took a seat on a bench, but the silence which took over the conversation for a moment easily vanished with the presence of someone in front of them.

“Jongin, you’re here”

Jongin seemed nice and friendly, smiling and very polite, but to the older the fact that Jongin was part of Kyungsoo’s life more than only as a friend was enough to trouble him. 

Joonmyeon observed them talk, the reality hit him: Kyungsoo made a whole new life here, with these people and without him. Nothing assures him that everything would change in a matter of days.

He tried to push those bitter thoughts away, hiding them in the farthest place in his head. As far away from his heart as he could.

“Do you think angels can fall in love, Soo?”

Kyungsoo looked at him, right in the eyes, firm and constant. He didn’t smile, he didn’t even blinked –neither seemed to consider the question as absurd. He looked at him with so much attention, dedication and deeply. 

“If that is so, I think that’s the purest love that could ever exist”

Joonmyeon smiled victorious. If there was a moment he doubted, thinking that their shared love couldn’t stay alive through time and space, that answer was almost a confirmation of the opposite. Kyungsoo saw him smile and he felt his heart beating faster, that smile was almost addictive. It was quite more sincere and bright than any other he would have ever seen.

“I won’t tell you the whole story, you know? At least not today, because I wouldn’t have any warranty to see you again some other day. You’ll have to just wait”

“Are you blackmailing me, Joon-ssi?”

“I told you to call me just Joon, and yes, sounds like that”

Kyungsoo only smiled and agreed. 

“I’ll have to wait I guess”

“You won’t regret, trust me”

 

The day beamed with a fully-bright concept of what people usually calls a perfect spring. The sun shining just enough and the wind blowing only the necessary, the weather –simply nice– and its warmth vanishing against Kyungsoo’s skin while he moved his laundry basket through the wide doors.

After pausing a few seconds by the counter he slowly walked the halls, surrounded by many machines, until reaching the most private and quietly empty corner, away from the annoying bustle of the other clients who apparently insisted on starting conversations which he considered unnecessary and even frustratingly full of futile and uncomfortable questions.

He decided to take a seat on a nearly chair, a National Geographic magazine in his hands, completely ignoring the others and ready to wait.

“Greek Mythology?”

Seconds later he lowered the magazine, enough to meet Joonmyeon’s kind smile.

“Are you one of those annoying close-minded people who believes that Philosophy is just a waste of time getting people’s mind off the "really important" things as science?”

“No, I actually like it a lot”

“Great. This talks mainly about Olympic gods and their effect in human lives, I must confess that I finally found one that agrees with what I think about Aphrodite’s personality. They always describe her as the passionate love goddess watching over the feelings of her human followers and always looking for justice for those broken hearts, but I think she was even-”

“A bit egocentric and capricious”

“Exactly” –he smiled, Joonmyeon followed and the younger was blind again, lost in his angelic smile. He shook the thought out of his mind, repeating to himself that Jongin’s smile was probably as beautiful as Joonmyeon’s and that he simply didn’t take note of it because he hasn’t taken the time to look closer and pay attention.

The younger didn't know the moment his eyes traveled to his pink lips and observed with attention his smile, he looked manlier than the day before. Maybe it was the almost unnoticeable hair cut or the contrast between his dark clothes and the pinkish color of his lips, Kyungsoo had to look to the wall for a while to prevent the blush rushing its way up to his cheeks.

Joonmyeon had to get up and a small note fell from the pocket of his cardigan. He knew it was wrong, he shouldn’t read it, but the fact that he knew practically nothing about the other who seemed to know him beforehand and the curiosity to discover if it was some love letter that someone put in there pushed him to commit the crime. 

He opened it and got shocked of what he saw: the handwriting was exactly same as his. Kyungsoo had no time to read it the message before Joonmyun came closer.

"It fell to the floor when you got up” –the other thanked– “So, Joon, would you tell me a bit more about the book?”

“I can’t tell you how it ends, not yet” –but when Kyungsoo kept pushing further to know something else about the story, Joonmyeon smiled to the question.

“Coming from such different worlds. How did they meet?”

Joonmyeon eyes shone with a glimpse of melancholy in them, he crossed his arms and let out a sigh.

“Do you believe in destiny?” –Kyungsoo slowly nodded, his eyes never leaving Joonmyeon. “Then I would dare to say, in one way or another, they were destined to meet and fall in love”

 

The afternoon started quietly in the cafe but the sound of the door being opened brought Joonmyeon back to the reality and out of his memories only to meet Kyungsoo’s smile just a few steps away.

“Yes Mr. Kim, seems like we still running into each other”

And Joonmyeon couldn’t be happier for it.

“Are you sure you are not following me?”

“I don’t say I wouldn't, but this time Baekhyun practically dragged me here in one of his many attempts to find a place to see Chanyeol and spend some time with him without his father knowing about it and making a fuss out of it”

Baekhyun, Kyungsoo’s best friend. A shortly look made the older realize Baekhyun perfectly looked like a very important business man’s son or even a politician’s: wearing clothes from a well-known designer from this time, matching it with his unique taste –a very good looking blonde with a bright personality and quite charming, to be honest. 

Kyungsoo’s first sentence got his attention almost completely, but what followed told him that Baekhyun was also embracing a not-completely-accepted love, in his case the problem was his family.

Joonmyeon only smiled, limiting himself to say hi, inviting them to take a seat wherever they feel like and taking their orders. After all, they were the only people in the place.

Throughout the hours, the older would take his eyes off Kyungsoo only take the orders or to make coffee to the other customers arriving to the place, those moments their eyes would meet, Joonmyeon wouldn’t even try to hide his interest; he would look right into his eyes, show him his best charming smile and even say hi with a slight gesture with his hand.

 

The darkness fell over the city in a rush and that day he was told to close earlier the place. It was exactly fifteen minutes before seven when Baekhyun said bye and left alone. Kyungsoo stepped closer to the counter and took a seat in front of Joonmyeon, placing his arms crossed over the surface.

“Seems like it's just the two of us now, Mr. Kim” –Joonmyeon smiled and after Kyungsoo confessed he didn’t own a car, he offered his company during the walk.

“It’s not necessary, don’t worry, Jongin told me he would take his father’s car and he’s going to pick me up”

Jongin. And then an uncomfortable silence.

“How long have you and Jongin been dating?”

“Almost a year. I’ve known him since middle school, he might be a year younger but he always made sure no one would throw my books to the floor in the hallways or just give me a hard time in the cafeteria during lunch and…I don’t know why I’m telling you my whole story while I know practically nothing about you”

“Then, what do you want to know?” –Kyungsoo smiled, observed the older and noticed he was wearing two golden rings, exactly the same, on his left hand– “Let’s start with that” –he pointed the rings– “Why are you wearing two of them, exactly the same?”

Joonmyeon touched with his other hand the rings, a knot formed in his throat and asked himself if he would dare to answer with the truth without revealing their whole story together. 

“Some time ago, I bought these rings to give one to the person I loved but I never had the chance to give it to him. I wear them always hoping that someday I’ll be able to give it to him”

“That person…did he leave you?”

“Not exactly, someone took him away from me”

Kyungsoo found himself lost in his eyes, he didn't dare to say a single Word –the truth was there was nothing he could actually say about it.

“Wait here, I’m going to get everything done to close the place, don’t move”

Again, a feeling of doubt and anxiety filled him –it was like if his mind tried to find something in an empty place inside his head. The reason aiming to a blank point, like the missing piece of the puzzle, something that would complete and give sense to the scene.

He wondered why Joonmyeon’s words would affect him in such a way in the first place, what kind of effect had on him to the point of not be able to think about anything else. He felt attracted to him in some way, every minute with him seemed to make stronger that feeling…what actually worried him the most was that he didn’t know what kind of feeling was that and he didn’t want to think much about it.

Once outside, Kyungsoo hurried a few steps ahead, adapted his backpack a bit tighter and his hands deeper into his pockets. Joonmyeon smiled and followed behind –hands also in his pockets– the younger was still adorable as always.

A little later, a gray van stopped and Jongin got off it. The blonde walked around the car and hurried to apologize for his delay, carefully kissed Kyungsoo’s forehead and said hi to Joonmyeon.

The younger thanked the enjoyable company and said goodbye before following his boyfriend to the car and make himself comfortable in the passenger seat and fasten his seat belt.

Even after the car started, Kyungsoo couldn’t take his eyes off the passenger side mirror –he observed Joonmyeon’s figure until the distance between them was bigger enough to make him disappear in his eyes, but not bigger enough to disappear his words from his mind.

 

Joonmyeon observed Kyungsoo from his place, failing in the attempt of hiding his true feelings behind the counter of the small cafe.

Baekhyun accompanied him again this time –those two were almost always together– and a taller young man held the latter’s hand, just by the way his eyes shone and the way his smile seemed brighter he could tell that guy was Chanyeol, his boyfriend. Joonmyeon knew that feeling –he was much familiarized with that special shine in the eyes of someone who’s in love, without a single doubt.

Indeed he, himself, had defied nature by falling in love with Kyungsoo. He also has noticed that same shine in Jongin’s eyes. 

“Baek, Hino says hi. He asked when will you go with me on one of my trips and he also said he was organizing a new summer festival for charity” –Chanyeol shifted in his seat and smiled– “It will be a costume party! You’re going, right? We are going?”

“Are you kidding? Did you forget last time? You dressed up as Mario, then I had to go as Princess Peach and let me tell you, my dear: A. My Japanese isn't that good, B. I don’t get along with pink heels and C. You’re too tall and skinny to be Mario”

“I actually ordered Seiya full armor costume on eBay already, but I can always change it for Hyoga's and you could be my Shun” –he winked, Baekhyun smiled and threw himself in a tight hug.

“Chanyeol, you’re so cute!” –he kissed his cheek– “I love you”

“I love you too, my princess”

“Cut it”

“You and your pretty much sickly weird romance...stop being so sweet, just not in front of me, please” –Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and Baekhyun smiled.

“A cappuccino for me and a iced coffee for Chanyeol, please”

“What?”

“That’s what we’re ordering today, Mr. Grumpy, just go and tell your y barista over there. Joonmyeon hasn't taken his eyes off you since we arrived” –he finished the sentence wavering his hand to the older before looking at his friend again, gifting him a silent ‘just go’ and a pretentious smile.

Kyungsoo sighed, he had the crazy theory that it would actually calm down his nerves just enough. With every single step closer he realized he was beyond wrong, his heart seemed to beat even faster.

The adrenaline and intensity of his own feelings towards Joonmyeon usually head him to short cycles of guilt. He has a relationship with Jongin since almost a year ago and even if he knew he liked him, he didn’t know what he feels for Joonmyeon and that’s what terrified him the most.

It was something he couldn’t control even if he wanted to.

He had found himself thinking about the latter more than what he would think about his own boyfriend, seeing him more often than what he could accept, unlike Jongin when he wasn't with Sehun. He didn't know if it was something temporary, an insignificant affair for someone who finally seems mature, mysterious and interesting.

He took a deep breath and flashed a smile.

“Hi” –constantly shifting from shy to nervous– “How are you?”

Joonmyeon smiled widely, his eyes almost closed into thin drawn lines before answering. Kyungsoo his hands into his pockets, shrugged a bit and didn't stop nodding while observing anything in the room.

“Something to drink?”

“Oh, yeah, a cappuccino…make it two and an iced coffee, please”

Joonmyeon observed him for a moment.

“Do you wear glasses?”

“I'm sorry?”

“The glasses, do you need them always? Do you use contact lenses?”

“Not really, Jongin bought two of these and gifted me one” –one of his hands played with his hair– “He called me last night and asked me to take them today, I guess it’s something like a couple thing” –he smiled nervously.

He was suddenly regretting for probably saying too much about it –give so many details and not answering with a single ‘no’ instead, but that would have probably sounded rude and the last thing he wanted to do is to be rude to Joon.

The older nodded with a weak side smile and Kyungsoo tried to take off his glasses. Joonmyeon stopped him from doing so, he took the glasses in his own hands and placed them back in their place.

“Don’t” –he smiled– “they look really good on you”

Kyungsoo lost the trail of his thoughts as the other brushed with his fingers part of the hair covering his forehead. Joonmyeon didn't care if he was being masochist or selfish, he was simply trying to trap the time and feel the love against his fingertips once again.

“You look cute with them”

He opened his mouth to say something, to thank the compliment, but nothing came out. Words were pretty much stuck in his throat. 

“Two cappuccinos and an iced coffee, I'll make them now”

The younger turned around and rested his elbows on the counter, breathing slow and deeply.

Back to where his friends were, Chanyeol played with his boyfriend’s hair while trying to steal a few kisses, they looked so good together –Kyungsoo wondered what Joonmyeon's kisses would feel like.

 

“Don’t think we didn't see what happened there, you would have to give me some details because the angle from here isn’t the best, though” 

“I think there are no details to give, Baek” 

“And I think Jongin should be worried”

The words showed up over and over again on Kyungsoo mind for the rest of the day. Should Jongin be worried?

 

Kyungsoo placed his phone on the bed, his attention back to the worn out book on his legs. He touched with his finger the golden letters on the brown cover.

“Broken Wings” –he repeated to himself once again, tasting every somehow painful word.

 

 

 

 

“Should we make a wish?”

“Not everything that looks like a shooting star is really a star”

“I think I got it right when I made mine” –Kyungsoo looked him in the eyes– “Come on, let’s make a wish”

“All what I could ask for is you, and I already have you here with me”

The younger showed a beautifully heart-shaped smiles and shifted in Joonmyeon’s arms, feeling protected and totally comfortable like that. He enjoyed the warmth and company Joonmyeon provided in such a cold and lonely night. 

“If they aren’t always shooting stars, then what could they be?”

Joonmyeon observed him with loving eyes and caressed his cheek before leaving a kiss on his forehead, he brought his body closer to his own and answered the question in a whisper, sweet voice reaching the younger’s ear as he looked up to the starry night.

“Angels falling”

 

Kyungsoo embraced himself in the bed before opening his eyes to the day shining through the windows of his small bedroom.

He sat straight on the edge of the bed –bare feet against the chilly wooden floor– and decided to ease his dry throat with a glass of water, he stretched his arms over his head and opted for getting up to start his day once for all.

He carefully observed his reflection in the mirror, slowly smiling to himself while he remembered his previous night dream –it has been long enough since he dreamt of something or at least something that he actually remembered. 

But that dream wasn't anything like any other dream.

Joonmyeon’s arms around his waist, his back against the other’s warm chest, his tender caresses and sweet kisses –everything about it seemed straight out of some sort of alternative reality. Everything seemed too real and touchable around him.

Everything seemed so right there, in Joonmyeon’s arms.

It feels more like an old memory instead the dream of a single night during spring.

April was almost gone and the newspapers assured that May would be a bright and sunny month just like its previous, it might have some slightly rainy days but nothing too serious to lower the temperatures considerably.

Kyungsoo wondered if his growing feelings towards Joonmyeon would change somehow, too.

After giving a call to his mother, he took his backpack and keys and hurried out of the door. He convinced himself it was too late for even a coffee. He will make sure to drink his personal brand of heroin –the necessary measure of caffeine– later, maybe after Joonmyeon started his shift in the small café a few blocks away from his university.

 

The hours went by slower than what he would have expected and even more of what he could have wanted. Jongin and Sehun were talking about the school’s dance club while Baekhyun and Chanyeol were making plans for the weekend, without including anyone else.

Kyungsoo knew what he will do. He will go for his favorite coffee and will spend there the next hours until he finished his Literature homework…or maybe he will go to just have a nice talk with Joonmyeon.

And he wasn't planning to invite any of his friends neither.

Joonmyeon has become in a very important part of his sometimes boring day. In one way or another he would always found himself wondering what would he be doing at the time, if he was fine, if he was also thinking about him at the moment, if he was too busy…basic things, any one would think about those stuff about someone they just met almost a month ago.

Jongin pressed a kiss on his cheek.

“I’ll call you later”

Kyungsoo nodded with a smile, without a word. Ten minutes later he was the one saying goodbye and leaving the other two –Baekhyun and Chanyeol– alone.

It was around five when, to Joonmyeon, the best of the day crossed the door.

Kyungsoo sat down at the nearest table and smiled, the place wasn’t as empty as it was a few days ago so he had to wait for his Americano while he flipped the pages of his textbook.

The younger lost the track of time somewhere between the pages of his book. His watch has stopped at 6:10pm for some special reason. He urgently searched for his phone and worriedly observed: fifteen minutes before eight. He put everything inside his backpack and dialed Jongin’s number a few times –“The number you’re trying to call is not available right now. Please leave a message after the beep”

“Is Jongin coming for you?” –Joonmyeon stepped closer to the table.

“No, I didn’t realize what time it’s and he’s not answering his phone”

“Do you have something to do? I would like to show you a place, if you don’t mind, of course”

“I don’t. I mean, the shower can wait, right?” –they both smiled.

“Let me finish everything here to close the place so we can go, okay?”

Kyungsoo nodded without thinking twice. If Jongin gets mad it would be all his fault, Kyungsoo never leaves voice messages and his boyfriend knows that.

 

They walked around ten minutes to a building, followed the stairs to a high rooftop and the younger observed amazed by the view. The building was high enough to show a beautiful side of the night sky covering the unstoppable and loud city.

The stars flashed beautiful in the dark expansion, a few of them brighter than the others but all of them equally wonderful. The student left his bag on the floor while he carefully stepped closer to the edge –hands around the cold metal of the handrail– with Joonmyeon following behind, of course.

“It’s absolutely beautiful. How did you know about this place?”

“I saw it some time ago and asked for permission to come up”

“It’s really the most beautiful place I’ve ever been to”

Joonmyeon took a seat on the floor while he observed the other, he couldn't stop smiling.

 

After a moment, the younger finally followed him, taking a seat beside him.

“Thank you for bringing me here”

They observed the sky quietly, enjoying not only the view but also each other’s company.

“Should we make a wish, Joonmyeon?”

The older looked at him with thrilled eyes, a trace of illusion playing in them.

“Not everything what looks like a shooting star is actually a shooting star”

Kyungsoo offered a sided-smile and closed his eyes for a while, he breathed in and out a few times and opened them slowly.

“It’s maybe an angel falling”

 

______

5926 words for Kyungsoo and Joonmyeon's first part of two.
This is a recompilation and (kind of) edition of the previous (already updated) chapters, enjoy.
Updating soon