viii

Winter Days

 

Winter Days

 

 

Traces of warmth brush past Youngjae's eyelashes down to his cheeks, caressing like rough but tender palms. Youngjae slowly awakes as the sunlight streams onto his face, him scrunching up his nose at the bright light. He is lying on something very warm and he inhales, the scent familiar like firewood in winter.

Youngjae blearily opens his eyes, the gentle touch on his face instantly disappearing. Youngjae blinks away the remnants of sleep as he remains against something hard, indulging in the source of heat. He lifts his head after a while, registering what exactly he had been lying on.

Youngjae looks up to meet Daehyun's face, his head still stuck on Daehyun's shoulder. "Good morning," Daehyun breathes, smiling shyly down at the nurse in his grasp. Had Youngjae been lying on Daehyun's chest all night, snuggled up against him?

Youngjae hastily gets up, flushing and apologising. "It's alright," Daehyun returns, flexing his numb arm lightly. Youngjae glances over to Junhong sprawled over Daehyun's stomach, mouth open and trail of drool leaking down his cheek. Youngjae chuckles, carrying Junhong off and gently pecking him on the forehead. He looks up to meet Daehyun's soft, almost mesmerised stare.

That's right... They're sleeping in the same bed because Junhong had chanced upon an episode of Pororo last night. He somehow got scared and asked if he could sleep with both Daehyun and Youngjae, since he didn't want to let any of them out of his sight and allow the bear to come after them.

Of course, the prospect had made Youngjae feel a bit uncomfortable. Daehyun insisted he would sleep on the floor while Youngjae and Junhong took the bed, but Youngjae wanted Daehyun to take the bed instead. After a bit of squabbling, they both conceded to sleeping together when Junhong started yawning.

"I'll go make breakfast," Youngjae says softly so as to not wake the sleeping child. Daehyun rises and opens his mouth to offer his help but Youngjae instantly nudges him back into the bed with a giggle. Youngjae goes to brush his teeth and heads to the kitchen, making some waffles.

A blunt pattering of feet, like the sound of a drizzle against the window, grows louder as Youngjae finishes setting out the plates. Junhong enters the kitchen, rubbing his eyes and lolling his head around. Daehyun stands behind him, ushering the boy into the chair.

"Good..." Junhong mumbles, shutting his eyes for a moment. "Good morning..."

Youngjae melts into a smile and crouches before the boy. "Have you brushed your teeth?" Junhong nods, obediently letting Youngjae guide his hand away from his eyes.

"It smells really good, hyung," Junhong blubbers, speech still slurred from his sleepiness. Daehyun hums, settling down into a chair. Youngjae beams, serving the waffles and joining them to eat.

This morning is particularly cold. It has been three weeks since Daehyun has begun looking for a job. So far, they have not had a successful interview, but Youngjae is still hopeful they'll find a job for Daehyun. He has gotten rejected several times for his education status and the sole fact he asks if he can bring a child to work does not seem to help in making a good first impression. Youngjae wishes they would give Daehyun a chance and see that he is actually a brother who is much too responsible and faithful to leave his younger brother behind.

"You have a job interview today, right?" Youngjae asks in the midst of chewing. He muffles back a laugh as Daehyun looks up and hums, his mouth stuffed with waffles. Daehyun reaches over to wipe Junhong's chocolate-stained lips. "At the arcade by Woonmyung street."

"I have to go to work today," Youngjae softly says. So far, Daehyun has fortunately managed to squash his interviews onto the days where Youngjae does not have work, and those days where he cannot, Youngjae has taken leave to take care of Junhong at home. They have considered hiring a babysitter, but at this point, it would really create a dent in their dismal finances and Youngjae knows Daehyun would never be truly at peace with a stranger looking after Junhong.

This time, Youngjae cannot apply for leave as he has done it too many times. That would mean that he has to bring Junhong to the hospital. He doesn't want to as Junhong has a weakened immunity from his prolonged exposure to the cold and his bony, underweight frame tells signs of his susceptibility to illnesses.

"It's alright." Youngjae looks up to meet Daehyun's eyes, the man flashing a reassuring look as though he has just read Youngjae's mind. Daehyun pats Junhong's head fondly. "He's a strong boy."

Junhong beams at this, swinging his legs and nodding fervently. Warmth spreads through Youngjae's chest as Junhong tells them of his dream.

"We took this train to a beach! It was sunny and we built this big, big sand castle!" Junhong churns out through noisy bites, elation clear on his gaunt cheeks. "Daehyun-hyung was the king, and so was Youngjae-hyung, and I was the soldier. I was a big, big boy, as big as Daehyun-hyung, and I protected the castle!"

Junhong begins to choke and Daehyun hastily pats him on the back, Youngjae sliding over some water for the boy. "When it's summer, we'll go to a beach together, okay?" Youngjae suggests, Junhong brightening at his words.

"Really, hyung?" Junhong gasps, but he slumps after a moment. "Train tickets are expensive, hyung."

"Don't worry," Youngjae assures, thinking of Busan beaches and the warm, comforting sunlight. It'll be a good way to celebrate having made it through the winter, though they'll have to breeze through spring first. "We'll get the money to go there, okay?" He weaves a hand delicately through Junhong's hair.

An outdated ringtone cuts through the air as Daehyun jumps, pacing briskly to the room. Youngjae quietly follows behind, standing the doorway as Daehyun answers the phone. Youngjae bites his lip; it is clearly a call from one of the companies Daehyun has tried for. He prays for the best.

"Hello? Yes, this is Jung Daehyun. Yes, I-" Youngjae watches as Daehyun sinks, blinking rapidly. His heart sours upon seeing the sharp transition between Daehyun's hopeful look to his downcast face.

"Oh. Okay, I see. Thank you." Daehyun puts down the phone, wryly offering Youngjae a smile. Youngjae averts his gaze, walking up to hold Daehyun's arm in comfort.

"They said I had to graduate high school, at the very least," Daehyun sighs. "It's always the same reason."

They stand in silence, Youngjae mulling over Daehyun's words. "How about... you take the high school leaving examination again? As a private candidate?" It would be best for Daehyun to this, not just for now, but for in the future. He would need a higher-paying job than all those he is currently aiming for to support Junhong by himself.

"But... I'm not smart enough," Daehyun mumbles. "And the fee."

Before Daehyun can say anything more, Youngjae squeezes Daehyun's forearm. "Money can always be paid back. You're smart, Daehyun. I know you are. You just need someone to teach you." Daehyun's eyes are a dark murky grey, reminding Youngjae of frozen trees by the sidewalk and inadvertently thinking of light, cold blue.

"How about everyday, after work, we'll study together? I'm sure I can get some textbooks. My cousin recently entered university; I can ask her."

Youngjae waits for a response, blinking as Daehyun merely stares back with parted lips. Daehyun lowers his head, glancing up at Youngjae for a few seconds before turning away again.

"Why does it seem like, no matter what the problem is, you always have a solution?" Daehyun asks. The question startles Youngjae slightly; what answer would possibly be appropriate? A teasing jest back?

"Thank you, Youngjae. You're like hope," Daehyun murmurs. "You always find a way out for me."

The world seems to still as they stare at one another wordlessly. Awkward at Daehyun's intense gaze, Youngjae coughs and winds around him. "I-I'm not," he laughs to ease the strange sensation in the air. "Let's go finish up breakfast. You need energy for the interview."

After breakfast, the three take turns to bathe. Daehyun goes last, Junhong settling in the living room to play with his train while Youngjae skims through letters. He tears open them one by one, grimacing as he sees the word 'Invoice' on many sheets of paper. His water bills have hiked after the arrival of his two guests. It is not as though Daehyun and Junhong are not frugal, but there is only so much they can cut down on.

Youngjae forlornly flips through the endless bills, not noticing the figure emerging from the bathroom. It is only when he notices a shadow over him that he turns around and finds Daehyun staring at him guiltily. Youngjae musters a smile, nimbly stacking up the papers and shelving them out of sight.

"Come on. Let's get you dressed," Youngjae beams, masking the worry that had been dabbing his face just moments before. Youngjae leads Junhong to the room and they look through Youngjae's closet, picking out a cardigan and a casual dress shirt. Daehyun goes to change while Youngjae and Junhong play scissors paper stone, deciding who gets to pick the cereal today when they go grocery shopping.

When Youngjae wins on the first try, he laughs, "How about three out of five?" Junhong hums excitedly and he ends up winning, snuggling into Youngjae's neck and telling him they can pick the cornflakes together.

Just then, Daehyun emerges from the room. He fiddles with the end of his shirt, body longer than Youngjae's, and he pulls up his jeans. Junhong breaks out into applause, cheering loudly for his brother.

"Thanks, Junhong," Daehyun guffaws, patting Junhong on the head. He turns to Youngjae, eyes shining hopefully. "How is it?"

Youngjae spends too long staring, admiring the way the long sleeves accentuate Daehyun's thick arms, and flashes a smile of approval. "You look really handsome. You're sure to get this job." He grabs a tie and winds it around Daehyun's neck, tying it neatly. Youngjae glances up to find Daehyun staring down with half-lidded eyes. Lately, Youngjae has noticed that Daehyun often zones out while staring at him. He doesn't understand why but he guesses it is the gratitude Daehyun so often talks of.

"You should learn how to tie your own tie," Youngjae laughs. Junhong tilts his head, scratching his neck. "Hyung knows how to tie a tie," he says innocently in confusion. "Hyung wore a tie when he was working last time!" Youngjae blinks, glancing up at Daehyun. The other man sheepishly grins, glancing to the floor.

"Is that true?" Youngjae asks, shoving Daehyun lightly with a chuckle. "Hey, I've been tying your tie for you every time you went for an interview! You..."

Daehyun says with a muffled laugh, "You never asked me if I knew how to."

"So it's my fault?" Youngjae titters, shaking his head. "I guess I did do it for you without asking... I'll stop then," Youngjae sighs jokingly.

"But you tie it better," Daehyun immediately protests. Youngjae waves him off, slipping away to get their winter jackets. They leave the house and board the bus, the arcade fortunately on the same route as the hospital. Youngjae notices Daehyun's flexing fingers, him sniffing every once in a while.

"Don't be nervous," Youngjae soothes, Junhong peering out the window at the blanket of snow nuzzling the roads. "You'll do great. I know it."

"You could tell I was nervous," Daehyun chuckles. "Thanks. I hope I do. I really want to get a job." The determination in his eyes is strong. Youngjae briefly wonders if it had been because of the stack of bills Daehyun had caught sight of. Now, Youngjae feels guilty for putting pressure on Daehyun.

Youngjae and Junhong alight, waving Daehyun off as the bus zooms away. Youngjae winds through the floor he works on, holding Junhong close to him so as to not get lost amid the many scampering nurses. "Hyung, you work as a nurse? Like those nice ladies who feed you medicine when you're sick?"

Youngjae hums. "I'm a pediatric nurse. I take care of children."

"Like me," Junhong chimes happily, swinging Youngjae's hand. Youngjae's colleague spare him curious glances, smiling at the small boy by Youngjae's side, and Sunhwa stops them right as they reach the playground.

"You aren't a patient," Sunhwa muses, crouching down to extend a hand. "Hello. My name is Han Sunhwa."

Junhong enthusiastically grabs on, grinning a toothy smile. "I am Choi Junhong! I am six years old."

"And how do you know this adult sized fluff ball here?" Sunhwa points up to Youngjae. Junhong proudly declares, "Family! We are family."

Sunhwa glances up incredulously at Youngjae, clicking her tongue. "I never knew you had a child, Youngjae. I'm disappointed, to say the least, that you didn't tell me at all. Are you trying to be the next Seo Taiji? Hiding your marriage?"

"I'm not married, Sunhwa-noona," Youngjae chuckles, bending down to Junhong's height. A couple of doctors pass them, squinting at them in askance as the three huddle at one corner.

Sunhwa gasps in disbelief. "You're not married and you have a child!?"

"Junhong isn't my son," Youngjae clarifies with a titter. Sunhwa frowns even harder. "I can't trust you."

She veers her head to Junhong. "Junhong, do you live with Youngjae?"

Junhong nods immediately. Sunhwa leans back, scrutinising the poor nurse with an interrogating gaze. "Then, is there a woman in the house?" She squirms her eyebrows, trying to hint of Youngjae's supposed girlfriend.

"Noona-"

"Woman?" Junhong repeats curiously. "No, there is no woman... There is my brother, Daehyun-hyung."

Sunhwa nearly stumbles back, widening her eyes comically. Youngjae blinks with parted lips, flushing as Sunhwa's now bug-like eyes bore through his being. "Noona, it's not what you think."

Sunhwa waves Youngjae away, nearing Junhong with a look of absolute attentiveness. "Then Junhong, does Youngjae take care of you and your brother?" She wiggles her eyebrows, gesturing vaguely in hopes he gets the implicit meaning. "Or is he just your landlord?"

"Landlord?" Junhong questions. Youngjae opens his mouth to speak but Sunhwa cuts him off with a slap to his forehead. "Yes, landlord, Junhong. Someone who makes you pay for living with them. That's not family, you know, unless it's someone who loves and cares for you."

"No," Junhong returns with his lower lip jut out in thought. "Youngjae-hyung is not my landlord. He lets us stay with him for free! He takes good care of us. He feeds me, he bathes me, he hugs me, he sleeps with me when I am scared."

Sunhwa nods, listening intently. "Then, about your brother..."

"Youngjae-hyung takes care of Daehyun-hyung too!" Junhong exclaims. "He makes breakfast for Daehyun-hyung, he ties Daehyun-hyung's tie before he goes out, he, he gives Daehyun-hyung clean clothes and makes Daehyun-hyung happy. Daehyun-hyung and me, we love Youngjae-hyung!"

Sunhwa's jaw drops, standing as she keeps her eyes fixated on Youngjae. Youngjae is completely drenched in embarrassment from head to toe. Junhong's outburst had made him seem just like a doting wife. "Sunhwa-noona, I'm not-"

Sunhwa interrupts him with a yelp, glancing to her watch. "We'll have to continue this chat later. You better tell me about your boyfriend." Youngjae's face grows red as Sunhwa scurries off to check on the patients. He lets out a lengthy breath, staring down at Junhong who is practically glowing with accomplishment. If only you knew what you've done, Youngjae thinks in amusement.

"Junhong, Youngjae-hyung has to go to work now. I'm going to leave you here at this playground. Can you be a good boy and stay here?"

Junhong nods obediently. "The toilet is there," Youngjae informs as he gestures. "I'll come check on you every once in a while, okay? If anything happens, I want you to go to the counter over there and tell the nurse."

"Okay, hyung," Junhong says, letting go of Youngjae and dashing to the playground. Youngjae watches for a moment as Junhong jubilantly climbs onto the small slide, before going off to check in. The day passes fairly quickly, the discharge of several patients igniting a thankful smile in Youngjae. He makes sure to pass the playground every time he goes to another ward, asking if Junhong is okay and if he's hungry. During Youngjae's short break, he brings Junhong down to get a pastry from the bakery at the basement. There is a message from Daehyun, telling him the boss wants him to do a trial run so he will be done at around seven. Youngjae's shift ends at seven thirty, so it is just nice for the three of them to get dinner together. Youngjae texts him that he'll meet Daehyun at the mall near their house as soon as he can.

Evening sets in quickly, Junhong having gone from playing at the playground with the other children to reading the books left there when the kids have gone. Youngjae quickly clocks out the moment he can, dashing over to Junhong. He apologetically picks up the boy who has fallen asleep in a corner, a book in his lap.

The boy jolts awake the moment Youngjae lifts him up, looking around frantically before relaxing upon seeing Youngjae. Youngjae feels his insides scrunch up; Junhong looked so panicky it makes him wonder if he still has not gotten used to being in a safe environment, not having to fear people coming to fight with and steal from him.

As Youngjae walks down the aisle, Junhong sleeping on his shoulder, Sunhwa catches up to him quietly. She whispers furiously, attempting not to wake the boy up, "Explain yourself, Yoo Youngjae."

"Noona, I'm not dating," Youngjae sighs. "It's... a long story." They get into the lift, Sunhwa folding her arms crossly. "And I have all the time in the world to hear. All the nurses have been asking me if that's your child or your brother. You're lucky I pretended not to know anything."

"It's nothing controversial or immoral," Youngjae laughs. "Daehyun and Junhong moved in with me. They're brothers. Daehyun and I are friends. That's all."

"Friends, huh," Sunhwa sceptically says. "Junhong said you didn't rent out the room to them. Explain that."

Youngjae purses his lips, unsure of how to tell Sunhwa that he'd let two homeless brothers into his home. It sounds disparagingly irrational and stupid, and even Youngjae agrees, but if anyone had been in front of Daehyun and Junhong on that chilling winter day, they would understand Youngjae's decision.

Besides, he doesn't want to tell Sunhwa that Youngjae had sort of being doing charity for the two. It doesn't sound right; it puts Daehyun and Junhong down far too much.

"We're just living together. Sharing common space," Youngjae supplies, walking out of the lift towards the entrance. He stops upon seeing a familiar figure sitting by the benches. Daehyun notices Youngjae just as Youngjae notices him, standing with a bright smile.

"Youngjae," Daehyun calls, jogging up to the nurse. His grin is absolutely stunning, lighting up his dashing features. Sunhwa, who has followed Youngjae all the way to here, in a breath in surprise.

"Here." Daehyun offers to carry Junhong but Youngjae shakes his head to signal he can manage, patting the sleeping boy on the back. "How did it go?" Youngjae asks.

Daehyun deliquesces into a blinding smile, Youngjae uncontrollably melting into one as well. Youngjae leans forward, asking, "Success?"

"Success."

Youngjae coos at this, b with absolute joy. "I'm so happy for you, Daehyun! I knew you could do it." Daehyun chuckles, deep baritone voice echoing past Youngjae's ears. "I couldn't have done it without you."

Youngjae blushes, glancing over to Sunhwa whose eyes are so wide Youngjae believes they'll pop out. "Is he your... boyfriend?" Sunhwa asks carefully.

"Noona, I told you I don't have a boyfriend," Youngjae wheezes. "This is Daehyun. He's my friend and roommate."

"Hey. It's nice to meet you," Daehyun greets with a sincere smile, putting out his hand. Sunhwa flushes, shaking his hand and blurting, "Han Sunhwa, Youngjae's colleague and mentor. Nice to meet you."

"Thank you for taking care of Youngjae," Daehyun says. Sunhwa nearly swoons, hurriedly replying, "It's no trouble." She elbows Youngjae, whispering, "Hey, where'd you get him from? I want a boyfriend like that."

Youngjae laughs, scoffing. "I'll talk to you tomorrow, noona. Be safe." Sunhwa nods and Daehyun and Youngjae walk out of the hospital, Junhong still fast asleep.

"They say it's okay for Junhong to stay at the arcade," Daehyun says as their footsteps fall in sync. "Says it'll look good since there's always one customer present." Daehyun and Youngjae smelt out chuckles in the frosty air, Youngjae flushing with warmth from his jubilation.

"I'm really happy for you," Youngjae repeats as they walk down the streets. Daehyun continues to grin, joy weaved into his chapped lips like the feeling of children fervidly skating across frozen lakes. It's amazing; Youngjae admits he had not set his expectations high due to the many rejections Daehyun faced, and he does not want the naturally showing disappointment on his face, in Daehyun's stead, to be misinterpreted.

"I really couldn't have done it without you, Youngjae," Daehyun wheezes. His eyes cloud with a winter spell as Youngjae meets Daehyun's gaze. "I keep wondering where Junhong and I would be if we never met you."

"You two would still be the strong pair that you are," Youngjae returns, tearing his gaze away as Junhong begins to stir. Daehyun coughs, watching as Junhong nuzzles into Youngjae's neck and falls back asleep.

"Your colleague... was saying something about a boyfriend?" Daehyun clears his throat. Youngjae blushes and shakes his head immediately. "Ignore Sunhwa-noona. It was a misunderstanding."

"She thought I was your boyfriend?" Daehyun chuckles, glancing down at the pavement as they walk towards the bus-stop. Youngjae sighs, "Mm. Junhong told her we lived together, so she thought we were a couple."

"I can see why she'd think that way," Daehyun says quietly. Junhong mumbles incoherently into Youngjae's shoulder, pressing himself further into the nurse's chest. "But, are you... dating?"

"No," Youngjae sheepishly admits, looking away. He nudges Daehyun jokingly. "Isn't it obvious? I'm always cooped at home on my off days," Youngjae laughs. Daehyun blinks at Youngjae, surprise decorating his wrinkled cheeks.

"I just thought, well," Daehyun murmurs, "someone like you has to have a boyfriend. Or girlfriend." He hurriedly explains, "Not that it's a problem that you don't have one. I can't believe you're not taken, when you're so..." Daehyun's words drift away in the winter breeze as they reach the bus-stop.

"Well, I'm not very attractive for a person," Youngjae chuckles, Daehyun widening his eyes in alarm. "That's not true," he hastily interjects. At this moment, Junhong yawns, groggily rising in Youngjae's arms. He blinks several times before taking in Youngjae's face, melting into a smile.

"Hyung," he mumbles, winding his arms around Youngjae and looking around. He catches sight of Daehyun and beams, "Daehyun-hyung, you're back."

"Yeah," Daehyun says gently, "and hyung has a job now." Junhong parts his lips in awe and claps excitedly, Daehyun taking him out of Youngjae's arms. Daehyun presses a kiss to Junhong's forehead, the boy toothily grinning back.

"Let's go celebrate," Youngjae chimes. "There's this restaurant a few blocks away from our house. I heard it's really good." Daehyun seems to stare for a moment at Youngjae before deliquescing into a soft smile. "A few blocks from... our house?"

Youngjae nods in return, starting, "It opened up a few months back. I always wanted to go but," he sheepishly pauses, "I didn't have anyone to go with."

"You have us now," Daehyun replies confidently, the two adults smiling giddily at one another. Snow falls onto Daehyun's hair, his musky black hair only darkening his hazy eyes. Daehyun zips up Junhong's winter jacket and they board the bus home, Junhong sleeping in Daehyun's lap.

They arrive at the restaurant in around fifteen minutes, the genial atmosphere family-like and warm. Daehyun holds open the door for Youngjae as the nurse steps in in wonderment. He had always yearned to visit the place back when it first opened, bustling with business, but time and time again, he has passed by to see many families gathered inside, not a single soul on its own.

The orange lights contrast sharply with the stringent fluorescent lampposts, snowflakes catching on clothes and hair. They settle down at a table, Youngjae discreetly counting his money underneath the table. He may have to start thinking of other sources of revenue; maybe he can sell some of his items to get a bit of extra cash.

Still, Daehyun catches Youngjae's actions, adam's apple bobbing up and down. "I'll work hard," he suddenly states, inciting the nurse's attention. Youngjae blinks at the determination shining in Daehyun's eyes and he gradually melts into a smile, unsure of what else to say. "That's good."

They order a family meal for a discounted price, the waiter curiously looking at them before leaving. It would be easy for people to misunderstand. After all, it isn't common to see two men alone with a child. Daehyun and Junhong themselves look like father and son, so it is natural to assume Daehyun and Youngjae are a couple of some sort. The thought makes Youngjae flush, but it isn't as though he can go up to every stranger to clarify they are simply friends.

The noodles ordered are delicious and scented, reminding Youngjae of the homemade dishes his mother used to cook for him when he was young. They clink glasses, hearty laughter in the air when Junhong stumbles in his haste to do the same. Youngjae briefly wonders if Daehyun and Junhong had ever gotten the chance to experience a love like that, their convoluted past seemingly leaving no chance of an easy time for the two. It scrunches Youngjae's heart to think that they had actually been living on the streets in such a brutal winter.

The memory ignites a prick in Youngjae's eyes, the time coinciding with Minhyun's passing. Upon returning to visit Minhyun's grave, he had gotten somewhat panicky at the sight of wilted flowers there. It just didn't seem right to represent such a lively boy with something so lifeless. Then again, it was ironic, as the flowers had been blooming so vivaciously but the merciless snow had crushed those thin stalks.

"Thank you."

The words break Youngjae's out of his trance, his hand pausing in wiping Junhong's cheeks. Daehyun has said his thanks many times, but the way he says it now is so firm and stirring. Perhaps, it's the thought of Minhyun that has made him so emotional and sensitive. They meet eyes and Daehyun parts his lips, glancing away.

"It's a nice place. I can see why you like it," Daehyun continues, looking around. "We've... never really been to a place like this with someone else, other than ourselves." Youngjae softens, but then he emits a mellifluous chuckle at the sauce staining Daehyun's lips. Youngjae grabs a new piece of tissue, leaning over to wipe Daehyun's mouth.

Daehyun widens his eyes, embarrassedly clearing his throat and laughing. "Both brothers are sloppy eaters," Youngjae teases, Junhong swinging his legs jovially at the atmosphere. They leave and stop by the supermarket, the trio splitting up as Daehyun gets the meat while Youngjae gets the bread and eggs. Junhong sits in the trolley, putting up his hands and waving them excitedly as they wheel down the aisle.

"Hyung," Junhong struggles to turn behind, piping up. "I met this girl at the playground just now. Her name was Hayi."

"Oh," Youngjae hums, crouching to listen to the boy. "Did you make friends with her?"

"Mm," Junhong beams. "She said her brother was in the hospital. She said her, her Omma, her Appa came to visit her brother. She asked me if my Omma and my Appa were doing the same."

"What did you tell her?" Youngjae asks softly. Junhong scratches his head, snivelling. "I don't know. Omma, Appa..." Junhong visibly saddens at this moment, lips tugging downwards. "Appa is a bad man. He is not my father; Daehyun-hyung says that. I think so too."

"Daehyun-hyung says Omma is in a place far, far away. She won't come see us because she's too far away, even if she wants to." Youngjae his lips, gazing down forlornly at Junhong. The boy slumps slightly upon thinking that, but shakes his head.

"I told Hayi I didn't have an Omma and an Appa." Youngjae gently squeezes the boy's shoulder. "She said I had no family. But I told her, no!" Junhong churns out a sweet smile, missing teeth making his grin all the more adorable. "I have you, hyung, and I have Daehyun-hyung. Hyungs are like my omma and appa."

A watery smile dribbles at Youngjae's lips as his eyes well up. He nuzzles his nose into Junhong's hair, hugging the boy lightly. For a boy, Junhong has seen too much for his age. It's both noble and sad to see a boy so selfless and mature at the age where children oft throw petty fits for toys.

"That's right, Junhong. We're family. Tell it to everyone who asks, okay?"

Junhong beams, wrapping his arms around Youngjae and trapping the laughing nurse to the trolley. "Okay!" He picks out the eggs and bread, perusing them diligently and making sure to decide on only the best. They meet Daehyun at the counter, the man insistently carrying all the groceries and leaving Youngjae to cradle a sleepy Junhong.

They arrive home quickly, Daehyun unpacking the bags as Youngjae bathes Junhong. The order usually goes like this: Junhong, then Youngjae, then Daehyun. But wanting to surprise Daehyun with a celebratory gift, Youngjae ushers Daehyun in first. He brings Junhong into the kitchen, hurriedly pulling out ingredients for a quick creamy chocolate pudding. He puts a finger to his lips cheekily and Junhong mirrors the gesture, prowling around on his tiptoes.

Junhong helps to mix the ingredients, making a bit of a mess with his rough stirring, but still nonetheless igniting a proud grin on the boy's face. Youngjae puts the concoction over the stove and pours in milk, stirring further as the thick fluid texture begins to form. He hears the shower cut off and Junhong gasps, jumping about in panic. Youngjae laughs at the boy flailing about, dashing to the bathroom.

"Hyung!" Junhong calls through the door. Daehyun gruffly hums. "Yeah, Junhong?"

"Don't come out." Silence follows as Daehyun guffaws in amusement. "Why?"

"Don't come out, hyung!" Junhong simply repeats, glancing back in worry at Youngjae still cooking.

"You want me to stay in here even though I'm done bathing?" Daehyun questions. Junhong fervently hums, his brother chuckling even more. "Are you going to tell me why?"

"Hyung, I can't. You have to stay inside," Junhong says, pattering back to Youngjae just as the man switches off the fire. He pours the pudding into two glass cups, putting out a thumbs sign and giving the mixing spoon to an enthralled Junhong. Junhong pops it into his mouth, rushing back to the bathroom.

"You can come out now, hyung!" Junhong cheers. Daehyun emerges from the bathroom, roughly towelling his hair dry as he flashes an entertained smile at the small boy. Junhong clambers onto the chair and pats the seat beside him, clapping his hands with a "ta-dah!".

"Youngjae-hyung made this for you," Junhong exclaims, instantly digging into his portion and smearing brown all over his face. Youngjae laughs, weaving his fingers through Junhong's hair. "Junhongie made it too."

"Congrats on your new job," Youngjae hums, Junhong singing along. Daehyun stares down at the dessert, looking up to Youngjae who smiles easily back. "It's stuffy. I better go bathe now." Youngjae heads for the bathroom when a sudden hand hauls him back. Youngjae stumbles slightly, his eyes locking with Daehyun's pupils. Daehyun opens his mouth, lashes fluttering rapidly as he glances to the floor then back up at Youngjae.

"Thank you," Daehyun breathes, melting into such a dazzling, touched smile Youngjae is momentarily stunned. He lets go of Youngjae's hand abruptly, apologising quietly, and the nurse reaches up to squeeze Daehyun's shoulder. "You did great, Daehyun."

He heads into the bathroom, shedding his clothes with snow clinging to the fibre. He switches on the faucet, leaping at the cold water spurting out at him. He hurriedly turns it off, eyes wide. The heater is not even . Youngjae quizzically switches it on, wondering why it had been off in the first place, before his mind clicks. Daehyun had been bathing with cold water in such a freezing weather to save money...

After showering, Youngjae comes out to find the house quiet. Junhong is fast asleep in bed, while Daehyun is sitting by his side, delicately the boy's hair. Upon seeing Youngjae, Daehyun crawls off, briskly pacing to Youngjae.

"Hey," he begins, his smile bordering on goofy. Youngjae returns the greeting with a dubious laugh. "Hey?" He opens the door to his own room, Daehyun standing by the doorway as Youngjae sits on his bed. He gestures for Daehyun to sit but Daehyun takes a seat on the floor anyway.

"I was wondering why Junhong was so adamant on locking me up in the toilet," Daehyun laughs deeply. Youngjae titters along, saying, "You bathe so quickly. We had to do something to stop you." He softens, continuing, "Daehyun, you don't have to bathe with cold water. Isn't it uncomfortable?"

"It's okay," Daehyun assures, ruffling his hair. Youngjae keeps quiet, staring down at Daehyun as the other glances around before looking at Youngjae. "Thank you. I ate all the way to the last drop."

Youngjae nods contentedly, remembering their conversation from this morning. He goes to his shelf, thumbing out a few textbooks he had kept more for memories from his high school. He settles down on the floor beside Daehyun, putting out the books. "These are the few I have for now. If you want, we can start tomorrow. Hopefully, the syllabus hasn't changed too much."

"I can start today," Daehyun announces, picking up a book. "You just got a job today," Youngjae chuckles, "I think it's okay if you start tomorrow, Daehyun."

They sit in quietness, nostalgia flooding Youngjae as he scours over the dog-eared cover of his books. The grades required for nursing school weren't as pressurising as compared to med school, but Youngjae had still worked day and night to ensure he got into a nursing course.

"You're very brave."

The sudden statement has Youngjae flushing shyly, inquisitively looking at Daehyun. "Everyday, you fight to save lives. It's so noble," Daehyun breathes, starry-eyed expression doubling Youngjae's blush.

"I only help the people who do the real saving," Youngjae softly says. "You're too humble," Daehyun persists, exhaling quietly. "It must be tough working as a nurse. Having to look after so many patients. Big responsibility."

Youngjae drifts off to the memories of Minhyun, a pang felt strongly within his ribs. "The hardest part is getting attached," Youngjae quietly confesses, lowering his gaze. Daehyun glances at him in concern. "Did you... go through that?"

Youngjae parts his lips, mulling over his choice of words. He pulls up a smile, casting Daehyun a nod. "He was my first patient two years ago. A very bright boy. Always fought as hard as he could."

Hyung, one day, I want to get married. The words are almost like they were just said yesterday. Youngjae had gently patted Minhyun's head as the boy beamed. I want to take care of my son like how Omma and Appa takes care of me. Like how you take care of me.

Youngjae swallows down the urge to cry, water teeming at his lashes. He keeps his head lowered so Daehyun cannot see the revealing tears. "He passed on a few months before, around the time when I met you and Junhong."

"I'm sorry," Daehyun whispers, Youngjae shaking his head and churning out a smile.

"You said I was noble... I think it's the other way round. Junhong is lucky to have a brother like you." Youngjae nibbles lightly on his thumb. "When did you quit high school?" He asks quietly, remembering the fleeting snippets of Daehyun's past he has divulged during one of their first conversations, at the restaurant.

"When I was eighteen," Daehyun says wistfully. Youngjae urges him on with his eyes. "I went out to get a job instead."

"Do you mind me asking about your family?" Youngjae softly questions, lowering his head respectfully. From his peripheral vision, he can see that Daehyun has his head veered towards him.

"It's fine," Daehyun assures. "You must be wondering about my mother, right?" Youngjae nods silently.

"She was a e. Both Junhong and I were accidents. Never meant to happen." The way Daehyun phrases it incites a nip in Youngjae's skin. Since he was born, he had always been showered with love from both his parents. A beloved son, pampered and nurtured with so much affection. "I took my mother's surname, since she couldn't find my father."

"My mother died of AIDS. Didn't have money to pay for treatment," Daehyun sighs, glancing up while reminiscing. "That bastard never did any . Alcoholic, he kept hitting Junhong whenever I wasn't around. Can you imagine? Junhong wasn't even a year old yet. That goddamn-"

Daehyun catches himself, dipping his head low apologetically for his language. "My mother and I weren't really close. Didn't see her much since she was always in the bedroom. She was my mother so I stayed with her till the end."

"When she passed on, I took Junhong and left. It was difficult, since he was a year old, and I just barely managed to rent a room. But the landlord's elderly mother took care of him whenever I was working. Halmeoni passed on too, about a year ago. I lost my job due to the recession, couldn't pay the rent and got kicked out."

Daehyun scratches his neck, the bitter memories drawing out the sharp crevices in his cheeks. "There wasn't any place to go. I searched like crazy and we hopped from shelter to shelter. Then, winter came, and the shelters got overcrowded. A lot of those- them," Daehyun coughs, "would harass Junhong so I stuck to the streets. The shelters weren't any better, honestly."

Daehyun grimaces, letting out a long breath. "Junhong kept getting sick. God knows how much I hated myself whenever he got a fever and all I could give him was water and let him sleep on the park bench. I couldn't do anything. I was so goddamn useless and he had to starve in the cold. He'd just barely recovered when we met you."

Daehyun's face turns completely sullen, eyes narrowing into slits as they begin to water just the slightest. "He was so young. Kids at his age should be thinking about what presents they'll get for their birthday, not whether they'll have a place to sleep at night." Daehyun grits his teeth, anguish b in his irises. "We passed his sixth birthday without even knowing. His belated birthday present was a broken train I found in the trash."

"I just..." His hands are clenched, shaking intensely. Youngjae looks up at him in consternation. "I always wondered why my mother kept Junhong and me. Sometimes, it just felt like Junhong would be better off he wasn't born in the first place."

"Sorry," Daehyun suddenly says, glancing over at Youngjae. Youngjae shakes his head adamantly, scooting closer to Daehyun. "No, I'm sorry," Youngjae whispers, hesitantly placing his palm over Daehyun's shivering arm. He comfortingly , not noticing Daehyun's half-lidded eyes. Youngjae barely even realises the wet warmth running down his own cheeks till Daehyun reaches over, his free hand wiping away Youngjae's tears.

"I don't know where we'd be without you," Daehyun wheezes, reddening eyes welled up with water. His touch lingers on Youngjae's face as his rough thumb brushes Youngjae's cheek. "You're... you're amazing. I can't describe you. You've done so much for us and you've never asked for anything back. It's a miracle that you exist."

A tear streaks down Daehyun's face as Youngjae flushes, the nurse reaching his hand up between Daehyun's firm grasp to wipe away that sole tear. Daehyun slowly and unsurely pulls Youngjae into a hug, tightening his grip when Youngjae does not squirm. Youngjae lays against Daehyun's chest, inhaling the man's fresh smell.

"Thank you, Youngjae," Daehyun croaks, only serving to coax more tears from Youngjae's eyes. "Thank you. Thank you so much. I can say it a million times and it'll never be enough. I swear I'll work hard. I'll pay you back and more, I promise." Youngjae doesn't know what to say, so he nods against Daehyun's skin, delicately putting his arms around Daehyun as well.

Somehow, the next morning, Youngjae ends up in Daehyun and Junhong's bed. He is laying beside Daehyun, the man sleeping peacefully with his brother in his embrace. Youngjae can't remember the details except their soft, heartwrenching conversation from last night. A bit of foggy memories lingers of falling asleep in Daehyun's grasp and bleary, temporary waking moments of being carried bridal style against a familiar warmth.

As Youngjae shifts against Daehyun, Junhong sleeping soundly between them amid the winter gales, Youngjae smiles and lets himself fall back asleep.