Chapter 3

Missing

January 3, 2012

 

  I cleaned the dishes after our meal and then sat opposite him.

  “So… What’s your name?” I continued on with our previously interrupted topic. He sat there for sometime; I could see him thinking hard.

  “I… I can’t remember”

  HUHHHHHH?!

  What do you mean you can’t remember?

  I panicked and implicitly did the first thing that came to my mind. 

  To the police station!

  I decided that we go to the police station immediately to see if anyone was looking for him.I took my bicycle and told him to sit behind me. Pedaling as fast as I could, we arrived at the nearest police station after 45 minutes.

  I rushed into the police station pulling the guy with me, only to meet a young man in uniform who was just about to leave.

  “I’m sorry to bother you at this hour, officer, but could you help me with something before you call it a day?” Looking at him with the best possible puppy eyes I could do, making me throw up at the back of my mind. The officer sighed and gestured us to follow him.

  Ah… Where I live, the police station closes early because there aren’t a lot of people living in this area, so they just figured the crime rate was lower.

  “I found this guy two days ago….” I went on to tell him the whole story about how I found the guy and how he didn’t remember anything. Maybe I was too engrossed in storytelling to not notice the officer not doing anything. He was just nodding to my story and glanced at his watch every 5 seconds. After I finished, the officer cut in before I could even start saying something.

  “I’ll file a report to see if anyone is looking for him” The police said half heartedly. Relieved at his words, I smiled not even noticing the officer’s tone and turned to the guy I brought here.

  “Don’t worry, your family will find you very soon” I gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

  “Thank you very much officer” I bowed. The guy copied my actions and the officer kindly returned us the favor.

  “For time being, he should stay with you, I’ll contact you if we have news” I nodded and bowed again before heading to my bicycle. The guy followed behind closely like a puppy.

 

  The young police typed in the details that Hye Jung had told him as fast as he could. He was already extremely late for the blind date his friends had set up for him. After typing, he shut down the computer. After that, he rushed to the blind date after making sure that the doors to the police station were locked since he was the last one on duty.

 

  Little did he know, everything he had inputted just now had not been saved.

 

 

  Getting home and straight into my room, my legs felt tired as I sat on the floor. The boy quietly sat beside me. “So what should I call you?” only to be replied with nothing.

  “Myeonghyuk? That’s my grandpa’s name…Pil Sung? That’s my… dad’s name… “Barely even mentioning the word “dad” as I continued down the invisible name list in my head.

  “How about Jinki? That’s a good name! That was the name of my best friend when I was little.” I shared my ideas.

 

  Jinki… That name sounded extremely familiar to him, but he just couldn’t remember why.

 

  Seeing no opposition from him, I declared with a grin, “Jinki it is then!”

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2, 2012

 

  The manager bit on his nail while anxiously waiting for the boys to come out. The hospital insisted that the boys stay for a day, so as to make sure that their injuries weren’t serious.

  On the other hand, the manager was released the very day they got to the hospital after getting his open wounds treated. He went straight to SM Entertainment only to listen to an hour’s worth of scolding.

  In the end, the management decided not to tell the members or the media, not to mention the staff and other artists in the company. No one was to know about this issue except for the several members of the management team and the manager since they just wanted to solve everything as quietly as possible without attracting any unnecessary attention.

  They said to wait for three days for Onew to come back because it was possible that he might have had some difficulty in accessing the transport since the transport systems in provinces were not that good.

  They tried calling Onew’s number, only to be met with the recorded voice message, they guessed the battery was down.

  The management then promised to contact the police midday on the day after tomorrow if Onew still hadn’t come back by then.

  For the mean time, they told the manager to tell the members of Shinee a fake story that Onew was in another hospital and would need a few weeks to rest before he could fully heal.

 

  4 familiar figures came to view as he looked up, except that they all had cervical collars on their necks to allow the healing to become more stable.

  “Boys, tomorrow you have the Koala Kid premiere to attend to, so let’s get you guys back home to rest and we might just be able to take off those collars before you go to your schedule.” The manager said walking first.

  “Gyeongshik hyung, where’s Jinki hyung?”

  The youngest asked as the other three perked up their ears and the manager stopped dead in his tracks.

  “He… He’s at another hospital… The doctor said he would need a few weeks before he can fully heal” He didn’t dare look at the boys in the eyes as he told the lie.

  Before he knew it, tears stained his face.

  He was already feeling guilty with Onew’s disappearance. What’s more, lying to the boys who trusted him the most.

  The members’ serious looks softened as Minho pulled Gyeongshik into a hug. “Hyung, it’s not your fault. So don’t worry about it.” He comforted the older man. “Yeah, that yonggam is going to be alright” Key said with a small smile. Taemin smiled as he looked at their now crying manager, even Jonghyun gave him a small nod agreeing that their leader was going to be alright.

  “Now let’s go back to the dorm. I’m starving. The food here is AWFUL!” Kibum stressed the last part as the other members laughed. It brought a smile to the Gyeongshik’s face.

  “Me too. Hmmm… I want to eat curry rice.” Taemin thought out loud.

  “I want to eat spicy rice cakes. I’m craving something spicy” Minho whined cutely.

  Jonghyun raised his hand and said “I vote for soondae guk.”

  “Forget it, forget it. I want to eat rice noodles!” Kibum covered his ears with his hands as the other boys protested. “Ahh… Lalalalala...I can’t hear you. I want to eat rice noodles!” He announced and the 4 men ended up eating rice noodles with Kibum. (To see this scene in action, here. it starts at 7:19 )

  After dinner, they slowly walked back to the dorm. “Hyung, why don’t we visit Jinki hyung sometime this week?” the maknae clapped his hands as if he had thought of something amazing. “Taemin-ah, that’s a great idea!” Minho ruffled the younger boy’s hair as a token of praise. “How about we visit him on Friday? January 5th, we shouldn’t have a schedule on that day.” Kibum chimed in. “We could bring him some chicken too” Jonghyun added as he nodded to Kibum’s suggestion.

  The manager who was walking behind the boys, smiled at what he had heard, even Jonghyun put away his little feud with Onew for a moment.

  However, he remembered the lie.

  Everything was a lie.

  “Boys?” Gyeongshik felt the members’ attention focused on him. “I’m sorry to put my foot down on this, but we can’t visit him” He looked down to his feet.

  “Why not, hyung?” This time it was Jonghyun who had asked.

  “…Because the company wants him to get better faster. They think he would heal faster if he concentrated on it without being disturbed by visitors.” It was another big lie and the manager knew it. The boys looked at him for a second or two…

   And seemed to have bought it. Insert sigh of relief at the back of the Gyeongshik’s mind.

  “Then we’ll just have to be there to receive him when he leaves the hospital!” Taemin grinned.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hence, this day forward, he(Onew) shall be called JINKI XD 

 

Sorry if this chapter is a bit long... 

The timeline and the POVs might be a bit confusing... So I'll try my best to make it clearer in the future T^T

Thank you so much for stopping by.

I'd be feeling super if you do leave me a comment telling me what you think =) I don't bite XD

Subbies, how did you know my plan? T^T Are you guys perhaps, standing behind me when I wrote this chappie?! *le gasp*

 

Side note: So excited about tomorrow's SNSD concert. Can't sleep... Too EXCITED! Which SNSD member is your fave and why?

Mine is Taeyeon<3 Her voice makes me melt and emotional ( in a good way) haha Whose yours??

 

Last thing, please subscribe if you wanna know what's going to happen next<3