Chapter 12

Missing

  January 13, 2012

  “Jinki, we’re going to go out in a little while.”

  The three of them had just finished dinner and Hye Jung was washing the dishes in the kitchen and her grandmother was resting in her room. The brunette was second-in-command in the kitchen, helping out with drying the wet dishes using a clean towel.

  Jinki raised his eyebrow. It was unusual for them to go out after the sun had set, especially after dinner since it was dark outside and there were barely street lights along the roads.

  “What for?” He was curious.

  “Oh, didn’t you know? Tonight is karaoke night” Hye Jung squealed, excitement written all over her face.

  The boy frowned, he absolutely didn’t know. After all, he had only been living here for a little over a week.

  “… Of course you don’t know. You hadn’t been with us last time”

 

  The trio arrived at a small warm Korean house. It was more traditional than Jinki had ever seen. Entering the heated living room after taking off their shoes, Jinki and Hye Jung greeted the two elderly in front of them with a good bow while Hye Jung’s grandmother sat beside her friends.

  “Haraboji, halmeoni, this is Jinki, a good friend of mine” Hye Jung introduced smiling, the brunette bowed again.

  “I’m Seo Jae Hyun and this is my wife, Kim Min Soon. Treat this place like your own home.” The old man smiled and Jinki quietly nodded in response.

  “Why don’t I start?” Jae Hyun stood up and grabbed a microphone.

  Hye Jung’s grandmother, whose name was Yoon Zhu, took hold of a tambourine and Min Soon took a maraca, both started to move to the rhythm. Jinki observed the elders while clapping his hands.

  On the other hand, Hye Jung got tangerines from what seemed like nowhere and started to peel them.

 

  Somehow, he was having fun. This was a new experience for him... Karaoke with old people. The atmosphere was fun and lively, even though there were only 5 people.

  The brunette watched as Jae Hyun sat down after he finished his song while the grandmas stood up to have duet.

  The old man now held the maraca and started flailing it around excitedly.

  To Jinki’s surprise, the two women chose an English song.

  To be more exact, Imagine by John Lennon.

  “IMAJIN ARR THER PEOPERRRR LEEFFIINGG LIFE IN PEACE”

 

  The brunette turned to giggling Hye Jung who seemed like she was expecting his astonishment.

  “Erm… Are they usually like this?” He whispered to Hye Jung who was still peeling the tangerines.

  “Yeah, and it’s just the start…” she replied in a similar manner, letting out a small chuckle that went unnoticed by the elders. They were far too concentrated in the song to notice the youngsters.

 

  After a few more songs…

 

  “Hye jung-ah take out the refreshments!”

  “Ne, haraboji” Jinki eyed Hye Jung as she placed cans of beer and a plate of fried chicken onto the short table. The smell of heaven entered his nostrils, to his trachea and lungs.

  He exhaled.

 

  Fried chicken…

  IS THAT AUTHENTIC FRIED CHICKEN?!

  BABY, IT’S BEEN SO LONG SINCE WE’VE SEEN EACH OTHER!!

 

  He could feel a tsunami of saliva in my mouth, clearly anticipating his reunion with fried chicken. Before he was able to grab a piece, Hye Jung offered Jae Hyun haraboji a chicken leg to which he gladly accepted and she proceeded to give poor Jinki a “stink eye” as if warning him not to lay his hand on the chicken.

  She then continued to offer the grandmas fried chicken, but they were too immersed in their singing.

 

  “Jinki-goon. It’s your turn to sing!” Yoon Zhu halmeoni shoved the microphone into his hands before he could touch any of the glorious chicken.

 

  Jinki panicked.

 

 

 

  “I’ll sing with you!” I sort of blurted out and slowly took the other microphone from my grandma.

  Ughh, why did I say that?

  Jinki was looking sort of panicky with the microphone in his hand.

  “Trot!” Jae Hyun haraboji clapped after gulping down beer. My grandma helped us choose a song. I didn’t even know what song she picked.

….

    Duet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biJ3vD6LEiE

  Grandma, why did you even choose this song? It’s not even Chuseok… I started to cringe as I sang my lines. It was so cheesy that I wanted to hide myself in a closet.

  I imagined Jinki would be singing like this because of his usual goofy self.

 

  “Say that you like me~”

  “No~ no~ I don’t want to. Because I’m a girl~” Everything was going smoothly. Jinki seemed to be more familiar with this song than I was, hitting every note perfectly whilst I was having some trouble keeping up with the lyrics.

  “Luna. Tonight, I will bring the moon down for you.” Jinki suddenly said in a manly voice and pretended to look at the moon.

  “…” Shocked by his sudden performance, I gawped. The elders chuckled as they ate mouthfuls of chicken.

  Who the heck is this Luna he mentioned? Don’t tell me he watched Sailor Moon and is referring to Sailor Luna?!

  “I will offer my everything to you” The boy continued in that voice and suddenly kneeled down on one knee as he held my hand. This time they laughed harder, even clapping their hands. I could feel my toes curling under my socks because I was so embarrassed.

  “NO! NO! I CAN’T. BECAUSE I’M A GIRL~~~” I finished the song in a robotic voice giving Jinki a glare when he stood up.

  “Aigooo, good job!” Jae Hyun haraboji pat his bottom several times as we sat down.

  “That was wonderful!” Min Soon halmeoni smiled.

  “You could be a singer! You two sound good together” My grandma added excitedly, giving my bottom light pats to which I responded with a weak smile.

  Yes, he could be a singer. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting his voice to be that good. Plus, he looked professional with that mic in hand a while ago, not looking nervous at all when he performed.

  I looked at Jinki who was happily beating on the tambourine as Min Soon halmoeni went for another song.

  I never expected this guy to have such a nice and gentle voice…

 

  Recalling my duet with Jinki, I remembered him saying “Luna”.

  Luna… Who is Luna? Maybe his girlfriend before it happened? It could only be his girlfriend since this song was all lovey dovey…

  My gaze shifted over to a hand slowly creeping towards the chicken basket.

  Looking to the side, it was Jinki.

  I slapped his hand away.

  “Don’t.” I mouthed.

  Jinki pouted.

  “Plus, they would force you to some beer if you eat chicken.” I whispered.

  “So?” He did the same, it’s like we were talking about some secret.

  My eyes turned to slits.

  “What? We’re not legal yet! We can’t drink.” I continued, rolling my eyes. I'm not legal yet and I don't think he's legal too with that baby face of his.

  He shyly poked my shoulder and pointed at the chicken. He kept doing it till I got really irritated.

  "Don't even think about it, Jinki." I mouthed, scrunching my nose in hopes of threatening him to keep his distance away from the chicken.

  In return, he made a hearty laugh and nodded, but that didn't stop him from trying to sneak out some chicken.

  Too bad for him, I was keeping an eye out .and Jinki didn’t get any chicken for the whole evening.

 

 

 

______________________________________________

Subbies, here's a new chapter for you <3

 I'm so sorry for not updating so long. I'm travelling and the wifi here is very... bad..

So forgive me if this took a long while to update.

Hope you enjoy!

Please feel free to leave a comment down below, I'd love to hear on how I can improve =)

I'm happy to hear what you think.