Under Covers

The Problem With Us

“What’s wrong with Sehun today?” Luhan asks, still feeling the heat in his cheeks, anger buzzing through his chest. He can still imagine Sehun’s hands clutching his collar, the cotton cutting his neck as he was lifted upwards.

Chanyeol shrugs. “He’s always been like that. I figured it would blow up like this soon.”

“Really?” Luhan has always seen Sehun as cold, distant, mocking, keeping his emotions in check.

Chanyeol sighs. “You’re a bit on the blind side, Luhan. He’s an active bubbling volcano ever since you broke up with him-or the other way round.”

Luhan feels a bit overwhelmed by the depth and seriousness in Chanyeol’s words, but he replies indignantly, “ He broke up with me.”

Chanyeol’s mouth puckers; as if there’s something he’s not telling Luhan. Luhan shakes it off. He trusts Chanyeol.

 “He had a reason,” Chanyeol frowns.

“His reason was that he wasn’t gay! And now he’s angry for absolutely nothing at all, or is it because he likes me again?” Luhan mutters.

Chanyeol doesn’t reply, his frown just deepens, and now he looks both thoughtful and disturbed.

“Stupid Sehun.” Luhan continues. “You shouldn’t have tried to put us back again, Chanyeol. You know it’s impossible.”

Chanyeol is still silent, now he’s wringing his fingers.

“Are you alright?” Luhan is suddenly concerned. Chanyeol shakes his head, looking distracted. Thinking. Maybe Luhan should leave him alone, and he does.

Luhan sighs. He shouldn’t have trusted Sehun when he first stepped into Chanyeol’s house with his luggage, and saw him there taking a swig of beer. He shouldn’t have trusted Sehun when he asked to be more than friends. He should have never trusted Sehun’s looks over his loyalty. He shouldn’t have trusted Sehun at all, period.

“I think things have turned out all wrong for me,” Luhan says, walking forward, but Chanyeol stops in his tracks. He grabs Luhan’s hand, and Luhan feels his heartbeat pick up.

“Yes, I think so too.” Chanyeol replies grimly, and marches in the opposite direction, backtracking to their house.

“Wait-where are you going!” Luhan says. He drags his heels on the floor, trying to slow Chanyeol’s progress.

“Back.” Chanyeol grits his teeth. This is not the everyday, carefree Chanyeol, this is the Chanyeol determined on doing something- god knows what.

“We can’t! Sehun’s in!”

Chanyeol loosens his grip. “Can’t you see, Luhan? This is my fault. I have to talk to Sehun.”

“Really? Now?”  Luhan pleads tiredly. All he wants is to get away from Sehun, and possibly from Chanyeol. Get away from the people that he has fallen in love with.

Chanyeol’s gaze softens. “ This might get worse, hyung. I can’t let that happen to him. Not Sehun.”

Chanyeol steps into the house, and closes the door without looking back.

Luhan sits on the porch and puts his head in his hands. This is too complicated. He loves Chanyeol. Does Chanyeol like Sehun? The concern in his eyes…for Sehun. No, Sehun doesn’t deserve anything. Not Chanyeol.  But Sehun likes Luhan, right? Or does he like Chanyeol.

He doesn’t know whom Chanyeol likes. He doesn’t even know if Chanyeol likes men.

Sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Well, aren’t you a bloody mess.” Sehun laughs. Chanyeol stiffens. Maybe now isn’t the right time.

“Are you okay?”

“Of course not.” Sehun’s tone is harsh. He’s curled up like a wounded fetus on his bed, refusing to look up.

“Why are you so angry, Sehun? I thought you wanted Luhan to leave you alone.” Chanyeol says.

“He’s isn’t.” Sehun’s voice is unsteady. “He brought you out.”

“How is that any of your business?”

“Because you’re my landlord, and we share!” Sehun growls.

Chanyeol pauses, and a disapproving look crosses his face. “Don’t be childish.”

“Says the guy who hasn’t grown older in ten years,” Sehun sneers.

“Just tell me what’s wrong, Sehun.” Chanyeol sighs. To him, it’s exhausting being so serious, so stressed. “You told me about your mother last time."

There’s a small gasp of pain, and Sehun curls up tighter, his knuckles white. With some difficulty, he replies, “That was different. I had to tell someone besides Luhan.”

“I guess this whole thing wouldn’t have happened if not for your ego. Tell him already, Sehun. Tell him you broke up with him because your mother was dying and you didn’t want her to go off believing you were gay. Tell him she died before you could deliver your last words. Then this whole thing will be cleared up, and you can go back to Luhan again.”

“I’m not going back to that bastard,” Sehun mutters. “Even if I did tell him, he should’ve understood. He knew me well enough to know something was up. But all he cared about was about himself.”

“But you didn’t tell him. Luhan’s really nice-“

“He’s not! This isn’t even ing about Luhan!” Sehun shouts.

Chanyeol covers his mouth. “Don’t swear, Sehun! I was just trying to help-“

Sehun rolls over to the other side, away from Chanyeol. He breathes in deeply. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for it to come out like that.”

Chanyeol sits in stunned silence. Sehun is unclenching and clenching his fists, and Chanyeol is just sitting there, his brain whirring, and the his mouth is getting dryer…

No. No. No.

It can’t be.

“Chanyeol?” Sehun says gruffly.

“What?”

This isn’t about Luhan.

This is about…. this is…

Chanyeol shakes his head. He’s in denial right now. It can’t be. It mustn’t be-

“When-when are you going to tell Luhan?” Sehun says in a small voice, a voice that sounds as thin and as fragile as glass.

“Tell him what?”

“When are you going to tell him you like him?” Sehun asks.

“What?” Chanyeol says, shocked. “What do you mean?”

“It’s so obvious that you like him, Chanyeol. When will you admit it?” Sehun whispers.

So Sehun knows.

What do I say? I don’t want to hurt him in case it really is what I guessed…

Sehun can’t like me. He’s gone through enough, losing Luhan and now…if he likes me, and I tell him I like Luhan…poor Sehun.

“I don’t.” Chanyeol lies. It’s painful.

“You do!” Sehun replies angrily. “Don’t save me the pain, the hurt, Chanyeol. It can’t be undone. I can see you too casting gooey looks at each other all the time-“

“I don’t-!”

“Admit it. Crush my hope, Chanyeol. Tell me the truth.” Sehun sits up, eyes very wide and locked on Chanyeol. He looks like he’s on the edge of a breakdown.

“Your ...hope?”

“DON’T ING CHANGE THE SUBJECT!”

Chanyeol sits up in shock again, then-

“SHUT THE HELL UP, SEHUN!” Luhan bursts into Sehun’s room. “STOP SHOUTING AT CHANYEOL!”

“Get out.” Sehun’s voice is soft and dangerous. Back to the cold one again, huh.

“NO! Chanyeol-you come with me now! It was a stupid idea-“

As much as Chanyeol wants to follow Luhan, he can see Sehun’s eyes trained on him, waiting for the moment when he gets up once again to side with Luhan. Hurt, angry.

And then there’s Luhan, angry too with Sehun, and extremely concerned. Despite the situation, Chanyeol feels warmth spread through him as Luhan gazes down at him.

But Sehun is the one who is truly wounded here. He can’t abandon a friend in need, much more one who is currently in love with him.

“I’m sorry, Luhan. Sehun needs me.” Chanyeol says, trying to be tactful, but he knows that they are the wrong words once they slip out of his mouth. Luhan’s eyes widen just a fraction, his mouth parts, and a frown creases on his brow. Sehun’s eyes gleam slightly, but then Chanyeol realizes that they are b with tears.

“Go on, Chanyeol. I don’t need you feeling sorry for me.” Sehun rasps.

“I’m not feeling sorry for you-!” Chanyeol protests.

“You are!” Luhan and Sehun shout back at the same time. Chanyeol flinches.

Sehun sighs. “Look, Chanyeol. You’re not helping. Just-just get out.”

Chanyeol opens his mouth to respond. “But Sehun-“

Sehun gets up, pushes Chanyeol lightly, and shuts the door in his face.

“Channie, you’re not helping.” Luhan says, sighing. His fingers wrap around Chanyeol’s.

“Sehun needs help.” Chanyeol says agitatedly.

“You can’t do anything to help!”

“You don’t understand!” Chanyeol wriggles his way out Luhan’s grasp. Luhan looks hurt. “You don’t know Sehun like I do.”

“I know Sehun perfectly well.” Luhan mutters grimly. He grasps Chanyeol’s hand again, more firmly this time, and for the first time Chanyeol doesn’t want Luhan’s touch.

“Let go!”

“Sehun doesn’t need help! He’ll be fine!” Luhan retorts sharply.

And then Chanyeol hears a sob from the other side of the door.

 

Author's note: Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter. in the previous voting, appaently many ppl wanted hunhan -.- .

Anyway, just to let you guys know, my story's not planned out in concrete yet, so any shipping is fine. Hunhan, Chanlu, or even chanhun! All on you!

Okay byeee