A Smile for You.

Broken Line

"I love it when someone smiles, but I'd never know the real reason behind it." - Anonymous.


Like usual, I walked Tiffany until the porch of her house. We didn't really talk much on the way but the grip on our intertwined hand was different, I felt like not letting go-so do Tiffany. There was a weird feeling on my left cheek, I kept on cupping it with my hand yet the sensation was still there-the place where she gave me a peck. I bit my lower lip so hard and hoped that it would stop me from having weird thoughts.

I was a stupid kid-once, thinking that a racing heartbeat means I'm having a Cardial disease. If Jiwoong and Hayeon were beside me that time, they would laugh like crazy and roll on the pavement; end up in a mad house was not a question. I knew what it means to had a racing heartbeat since I enter Junior High, whereas my friends were frantic to explained it to me.

They said it was because of love, adrenaline rush whatsoever. Love? I might as well named it as Fear. Fear could also made your heart race like crazy, I tried to convince myself with that statement. Maybe it was my fear of Taecyeon that made me tried to think like that, or maybe I was really afraid to fall in love. So it was both. If I fell in love, it means I've ignited the fury inside Taecyeon's lustful and possessive heart which might burn me to ashes.

Having a thought about that ill intentioned man reminded me of his phone-which was still having its good rest on my pocket. I didn't really want to check the content, but the little devil on my shoulder kept on nudging me with its spear; a little peek of my act won't hurt. Once I unlocked the phone, the first thing I want to peek was the picture of Tiffany. She looks beautiful there eventhough it's a candid, and I chose to have it sent to my phone via bluetooth.

I wanted to check the audio of the voice recorder but Taecyeon's phone gallery was filled with something that urged my curiosity, curiosity kills the cat. I was stunned and almost stopped walking, his gallery turned to be the last thing that I would check-who knows that man saved pictures of nudies on his phone? Disgusting, awful, horrible; it hurts my gut and I almost throw his phone to the road.

I tapped the button of his phone hardly, cursed his phone because it crashed and powered off suddenly. I blew my bangs and half-heartedly shoved his phone back into my pocket, I didn't really want to bring it back with me anymore. The sky was getting darker, but it was not because of the time.

I need to rush back.

Wet hair awaits if I didn't.


"You looked like a cat that has been throwned into the river." Hayeon mocked me, my wet head would looked funny because my thin face and my thin hair-I didn't have a thick and strong hair that would still look gorgeus after being soaked. "Blame the gene." I threw my belt away, "You also looked like that." I placed my heavy bag on Hayeon's lap; she groaned and gave me her scariest glare. "Not working on me." I stuck my tounge out, being playful with her made me happy.

"Go take a bath." Jiwoong suddenly appeared before me, "You stink." this person was no different than Hayeon; full of tease. "Says the sweat-soaked man." let them be a tease while I'm being sarcastic, "Anyways, don't touch this junk." I got Taecyeon's phone out of my pocket and threw it on the bed-it feels nice when I did it. "Hey Tae, did you steal it?" Jiwoong widened his eyes on me, I quirked my brows and shook my head.

"Heck." I said while scoffing, "Since when did I became a burglar?" I hitted Jiwoong's bottom with a towel and gave him the warn that I didn't want to be questioned. "Jeez.. Alright, but if there's someone rang our bell and said that he or she's a police-..." Hayeon cutted him, "We'll just simply hand you over to them." I rolled my eyes and went to the bathroom; a warm shower might be nice after a cold rain.

I sighed once I locked the door of the bathroom; other than a quiet night, I love to be inside a silent bathroom and play with the water like a madman. Seeing the empty and clean bathtub, I thought that drowning myself inside it might be a nice choice to spend my free time. While waiting for it to be filled, I pulled out my phone from my pocket and immediately open the gallery.

I didn't really know why, but I really want to look at her picture and admire how she looks. I felt guilty and disgusted with myself. To looked at her sincere smile from every word that came from my mouth, I couldn't imagine what would happened if I said it was Taecyeon's idea. Then again to remember what kind of pictures was inside Taecyeon's phone, I'm afraid that Tiffany's picture would be used for no good.

Being to immersed on my own thought, I forgot to turn off the water tap and my skirt was drenced in warm water. I threw my clothes away and let myself soaked inside the water like a sponge. I kept on holding my phone and stare on it-the picture which made me felt guiltier and guiltier. I could just delete the picture and the voice note-it was a failure anyway because it had my voice inside it which I'm to busy to edit, then I could just have my suicide by showing up in front of Taecyeon and said that I forgot everything.

There were some loud voices came from the outside, Hany must be home again. It would be a pain on our neck whenever she came home, she would just asked for money or she would shout to everyone about her cancelled marriage-which happened because her fiancee hated her personality that made materialism as her priority and kicked happiness away.

I had my side of sympathy for her, so do Jiwoong, mom or even my sister Hayeon. But she confronts everyone and irritate our heart, especially my dad's heart that really loves her as his reliable firstborn. The door of the bathroom was knocked hardly and it startled me. "Come out now Kim Taeyeon!" I heard Hany's voice, "You better go ask your old man for my money!" it boiled my calm temper.

"Go away you dog!" I could be a sassy mouth even if she's older, "You should apologize to everyone first before you asked for something!" my throat hurts like crazy when I shout that hard. I was able to hear Hany's spicy retort to everyone, looks like she gave the spiciest to Jiwoong. When I try to block all sounds by drowning half of my face, my phone rang loudly.

The caller wasn't the one that I expect to be, and it was not the right time. Why in the world Tiffany called me? But I just couldn't simply reject it. "Hello? Tae?" I heard her squealy voice that came from the other side, "Yes Fany, what is it?" I tried to sound as calm as I could be while trying to muffled the voices from the outside to be heard by her. "Would you want to come and play on my house tomorrow? I know you don't like to come home early and tomorrow we're going home early!" ah she laughed sincerely.

My lip was tugged into a small smile, "I would love to." and I forgot about the ruckus outside. "Great! By the way, you have a lively house, eh? It's kinda loud." I gulped my saliva, "Y-yea... They're kind of having fun now." I said a lie to her and it felt bitter on my tounge. "Oh! Alright then, go have your fun too! Bye Tae, mwah!" then the line went off and I sighed in relief.

The shouts was getting louder.

There was a bit of fist-fight, must be Hayeon again.

I need to finish up quickly.


I was having a stressful night where I couldn't sleep peacefully. After I finished my shower, the sight in front of me was not a pleasant. Hayeon was crying and her hair was a mess and she had a red cheek, what boils me the most was her bleeding nose and missing Jiwoong. I confronted Hany after I taken care of Hayeon and asked about Jiwoong's whereabouts. I got bruises on my arm and the right side of my mouth, but I saved mom from being punched or slapped by Hany.

Then again I needed to restart Taecyeon's phone and delete the voice note with the picture. It was a good choice, but what awaits me really chilled my spine like crazy. Taecyeon was there inside the class, waiting with his arms crossed. "So, where's the result?" he said when I placed his phone on the table, "I forgot to do it." I blurted the words even without second thought.

"You forgot to do it?!" Taeyeon grabbed my shoulder hardly, "What a scum." he pushed me that I almost tripped myself. "Taec, what's going on?" it seems like the voice of his mom, "Oh mom, she's the one who stole my phone." what did he say? "The heck that you said?!" I lost my temper again and I vent it out in front of Taecyeon, "Hey girl, you don't need to steal my son's phone to ease your problem. You could just asked for help nicely." Taecyeon's mom grabbed my bruised arm and I tried not to groan in pain.

"I didn't steal his phone, ma'am." I looked at her in the eye so I could proof myself for not lying, "Then how come you have his phone?" than question mutes me; I was not able to retort and said that Taecyeon wanted me to do his plan. "So you really did it." his mom said, "You know that because of you, I was not able to contact my son? Yesterday was an important day for him with his father, yet he didn't come home and I didn't know his whereabouts." she nudge me with her awful pointy finger nails.

"Just forgive her mom, she had enough troubles already." it burns me to heard his full of act voice, "She returned my phone." I averted my gaze from his disgusting face and Tiffany was there at the front of the class. "What's going on here?" Tiffany chimed and all eyes on her, "Your friend here is a pathetic burglar." I lowered my head and search for a place to hide my shame; no avail.

Tiffany walked towards me and held my hand, "How could you say so? Where's the proof?" she retorted for me which warms my heart yet it hurted me. "She took my phone." Taecyeon said, "Yes, she stole my son's phone." his mom add more fuels to the fire. "Taeyeon never steal anything, yet if she is; she won't return the phone." Tiffany pointed with her chin, "Maybe he was just forgot to take his phone home and Taeyeon initiate to brought it home instead of leaving it inside the classroom." it was a good reasoning that mutes everyone.

She pulled me away from Taecyeon and his mom, "C'mon Tae. You don't need to be blamed more." she brought me out from the classroom. "I don't know what to say...." I said in a low tone, "Tae, I know that you're not that kind of person." she stopped and turned her back. "How could you say that?" I asked her, "I just knew that Kim Taeyeon was not someone who would do a cheap trick to solve her problem." she smiled.

"Smile Tae." she said to me caringly, "I don't want my dear to look sad if she's with me." her grip was getting stronger yet gentle. I kept on hung my head low, but I raised it once she asked me to smile. I knew once I raised it, she was staring at my bruise. Instead of questioning me, she searched for a balm that she always brought from her pocket and dabbed it gently on my bruise.

She smiled.

And I, I would smile if its for her.

I would.

Even if it means I should lie to myself.