10

Next Door Man

The next day, Yixing still doesn't go to school and Kris only gets more and more worried. He surely has done a very big mistake that Yixing sacrifices his studies just to avoid him. But however, they're technically not over yet. There's no saying of breakups between them two yet, so they're still together. Kris thinks that maybe, just maybe this is his last chance to fix it all. He'd promise to his whole life to make it all better, promise to not do everything he had done.

 

But first, he needs to find his boyfriend and fights for him because he is more than just worth it.

 

Last night, when Kris passed by Yixing's apartment door, he leisurely opened it. Much to his surprise, it was unlocked so he went inside. The room was dark, the only thing that lighted up inside was the neon lights from Seoul night view. When he entered the kitchen, there were some leftover ingredients on the counter and undone dishes in the sink. He frowned because Yixing is never the type who let his kitchen be unclean. He frowned even more when he realized that the leftover ingredients were ones Yixing used to make breakfast for him that morning when he first met Tao. And there, the idea of Yixing not being home hit him. He suspected that someone must've taken his boyfriend away.

 

That is why now Kris is wandering around the school, trying to find Jongdae and Minseok because he knows the couple is pretty close to Yixing. It's kinda hard to find them since he and the couple don't have any same classes and he doesn't know them well. It will be even harder when it comes to Jongdae because he knows that the latter dislikes him a lot. Not that he cares tho, he only needs the latter's help to find his boyfriend.

 

Kris is so busy looking around when he accidentally bumps into someone, and the person coincidetally is Minseok.

 

"Kim Minseok!" Kris grabs Minseok's wrist in case he'll run away, judging from his uncomfortable face.

 

"Wh-What do you want?" Minseok struggles to let go of his wrist from Kris' strong grasp. "Let go of me."

 

"Not until you tell me where Yixing is."

 

"I-I don't know where he is, really."

 

Kris only grabs him more tightly. "Quit lying."

 

"I swear I'm not lying! Now just let go of me!"

 

"Let go of my boyfriend, you bastard!"

 

That's when Kris gets a good punch on his left cheek. There's an annoyed Jongdae standing between him and Minseok, defending his boyfriend from him.

 

"Jongdae, listen —"

 

"He asked me where Yixing is." Minseok cuts off, earning a glance from Jongdae before he starts sending glares to Kris again.

 

"What, you're looking for Yixing now? Gosh you ungrateful bastard." Jongdae hisses. "Isn't this all what you want? Now that Yixing's hurt and gone away, you're still not happy? Not satisfied yet? You're looking for him because you think he hasn't had enough?"

 

"Kim Jongdae, I —"

 

"I'm glad Yixing's gone then, better than getting hurt by the same person over and over again." Jongdae cuts Kris off. "We don't know where he is, okay? Even if we know, we still won't tell you. So never get your dirty hand touching my boyfriend ever again."

 

With that, Jongdae drags Minseok away, leaving a miserable Kris behind. When the bell rings, he doesn't even bother to head to his next class.

 


 

Kris is lying on the school rooftop, trying to take some good nap to take his problems away for a while but he can't. His eyes keep looking straight the blue sky above. For some reason, sky reminds him of Yixing. It looks so calm and pretty that you'll feel warm just by looking at it though it's now autumn, and so does Yixing. Yixing is beautiful that you'll get those calming feels when he's around. He is so warm that the sun couldn't defeat his warmth. Kris thinks of a capable reason on why he hurt Yixing only to find that there's none, he realizes he's just that stupid.

 

At the thought of Yixing, he shuts his eyes and he doesn't realize tears start rolling down his cheeks. He doesn't even flinch when the salt water of his tears meet his bruise from earlier.

 

"So this is how it feels of being in love..."

 


 

Joonmyun has skipped school to accompany Yixing today. He still won't let Yixing go outside in case he accidentally bumps into Kris. So, as he had promised to Yixing, he's now at the latter's appartment, willing to take Yixing's stuffs he asked him to. He packs them neatly into a pretty big suitcase he has brought earlier because he knows Yixing loves it when his stuffs are all neat and put in their proper place.

 

When he crossed the hallway, he notices the kitchen and sees the undone dishes. He smiles because he can already imagine Yixing's frowning face seeing his kitchen being left with undone dishes. For some reason, he steps inside the kitchen and voluntarily does the dishes. When he notices the dirty counter, he still doesn't mind. Everything for Yixing.

 


 

Kris decides to skip the rest of his classes and goes back home. He's exhausted. Yes it's only been 2 days he's looking for Yixing but everything feels too tiring for him. He wonders how Yixing managed to endure the pain in his heart for months.

 

Usually, Kris will take the stairs to go up to his room. But now he's just really tired and chooses to take the elevator instead. He stands in front of one of the three evelators, the one he chooses is going down. He's more than just surprised when the door opens, revealing an also surprised Joonmyun carrying a suitcase with him.

 

"Joonmyun? What are you doing here?"

 

"Why do you wanna know why I'm here? Why do you care?" Joonmyun answers while trying to pass Kris, but Kris is fast enough to block him thanks to his bigger and stronger body.

 

"You're here for Yixing, aren't you?" Kris asks with an intimidating look on his face, making Joonmyun nervous. "That suitcase must be filled with Yixing's clothes and stuffs, right?"

 

"What, you care about him now? Where were you when he needed you then? Why do you suddenly care when he's gone?"

 

"Because I am still his boyfriend and I know he loves me! So, if you want your best friend to be happy, just tell me where he is!" Kris yells at Joonmyun's face, not caring about the strange looks he earns.

 

Joonmyun sighs. "Listen." He starts. "If Yixing does love you, why doesn't he stay then? Because he has had enough, Kris. I can't tell you where he is because maybe, just maybe you will still treat him the same way. Look, if you're looking for him to fix everything, then find him yourself. Prove him that you deserve one more chance."

 

They remain in silence then, too busy with their own mind. Kris thinks that Joonmyun is right, he has to fight for Yixing to pay for everything he had done. Meanwhile Joonmyun still can't believe what he has just said. His words absolutely make it oblivious for Kris to find out what actually has been happening between him and Yixing.

 

"I guess you're right." Kris says under his breath. "Thanks for telling me, Joonmyun-ah..."