Chapter 5

Racing for hearts

 

Baekhyun didn't know what the heck was wrong with him. He had just cracked open a little hole for Chanyeol to enter his private life. He knew he was going to regret it later, but he fought the thought away, telling himself to have another friend (even if he was rich) wasn't a bad thing. Right? Right. Thus it wouldn't be so bad to open a teeny bit for the other. It was not as if the other would care anyways.

"Are these all yours?," Baekhyun asked as he looked at all the prizes kept safely behind glassed windows. It was the first time, since Chanyeol had brought him home, that the other had showed him the 'special room'.

"Not all. But most of them are. There are a few of my father's prized possessions," Chanyeol explained, looking at a gold medal his dad first won. Memories played in his head flooded his mind. A sad smile adorned his face which didn't go unnoticed by Baekhyun.

"He doesn't race anymore?," Baekhyun asked curiously, looking at Chanyeol expectantly.

"No. Dad died... a car race... and...," Chanyeol paused. It was the first time he actually told someone about his father's death, "Something went wrong. I don't know what. The car exploded and although he was rushed to ER, the doctors... couldn't save him,"

In all his life, whenever someone asked him about his dad, he would either not answer or just shrug it away. But, Baekhyun... was a different story. He didn't know why he felt the need to tell Baekhyun about his past, but he actually did. And he felt comfortable with it. It was as if he wanted Baekhyun to understand him more. He wanted Baekhyun to know more about him. 

"I am sorry," Baekhyun regretted asking immediately. He kicked himself mentally when he saw the sad look of the taller one.

Before he knew it, he had already wrapped his arms around the taller one, hugging the other close. He was unsure what to do actually. Chanyeol looked sad and Baekhyun wanted to take that away. How ironic. He couldn't even take away his own pain, much less Chanyeol's. But, Baekhyun felt having the other in his embrace was the right thing to do. He wanted to be some of support for the other, even though it was for short time.

"He didn't even get to see my first win, Baekhyun. Why? Why did this have to happen?," Chanyeol asked.

"I don't know Chanyeol. There is some kind of purpose behind all of it, I think, but I can't tell what it is. But that is all in the past. I know it hurts. I understand what you are going through. Everything is going to be fine," Baekhyun answered still rubbing circles on Chanyeol's back, trying to be as much of a comfort as he could be. 

After a few minutes, Chanyeol finally pulled himself together and detached himself from Baekhyun, apologizing for the sudden act. He didn't mean to be emotional all of a sudden. A Park was never to let others see his weak self. Baekhyun waved it away saying that that was what friends were for. They were friends, right? (even if it was friends for benefits). Chanyeol agreed after a few seconds thoughts. If only the other meant something else.

A sudden vibration of his cellphone interrupted Baekhyun from whatever he was about to say. Pulling out the device, his eyes widened in surprise once he glanced at the screen.

Hospital.

It could mean something good or something bad. Baekhyun hoped it would be the first.

He quickly excused himself from Chanyeol saying that the call was important and he needed to take the call quickly. Once he found the front door, then Baekhyun finally took the call.

"Good morning, sir. Is this Mr. Byun I am speaking to?,"

"Yes, sir. This is Byun Baekhyun,"

"Mr. Byun, I am sorry to have to disturb you, but I call on behalf of your mother. Your mother's state is slowly getting worse. The doctors have decided that a surgery is needed,  but we have to ask permission first before proceeding with the process. Will you give the permission to the doctors?,"

"How much does it cost?," Baekhyun asked forcing upcoming tears away.

"2.5 million won, sir,"

Baekhyun felt numb. It was as if wind was knocked off of him. A blow on the head. Where would he find such an amount of money? Taking part in races will not bring him to that amount. A thousand was hard to earn, much less a million. Why did this have to happen to him? Why? What did his mother do to deserve this? Questions filled his head, but Baekhyun refused to wallow himself in pity. He had to be strong. He had to be strong for his mother. His mother needed him.

"Sir! Baekhyun ssi, are you there? Can you hear me?,"

"Ahem... Yeah... Yeah, I am here... I need... Can you give me some time?," Baekhyun croaked out.

"There isn't much time, sir. I can give up to three days. Anymore and I am afraid your mother will not make it," the doctor said.

"Please, do proceed... I will pay you back," Baekhyun pleaded, desparation laced through his words.

"I am sorry, sir. You need to pay at least 75 percent before we can start with the surgery,"

"Al-alright, sir. I... I will do my best," Baekhyun managed to voice out.

Baekhyun dropped down on the floor without realizing it. He felt his shoulders getting heavier every second. Everything was fine, until the call. He thought his mother only needed some medication and close inspection from their doctor, but it seemed the disease had taken its toll.

"Baekhyun! Are you alright? Why are you on the floor? Are you hurt?,"

Baekhyun slowly turned around to look at Chanyeol. He could see worry in those eyes. Those beautiful eyes. He forced himself to stand up to look at Chanyeol. Forcing a smile he shook his head.

"Everything is ok. I was just... surprised... shocked and... I tripped...," Baekhyun said.

"Who would trip backwards by a surprise?," Chanyeol asked unbelievably.

"I would. I got to go Chanyeol. See you some other time okay," Baekhyun gave a slight bow and hurried away without waiting for any answer.

He never saw the confusing and worried looking Chanyeol standing at the entrance of the door.

 

The next day, Baekhyun woke up to a headache. He hadn't slept well the night before, but somewhere around the early morning, he must've dozed off to lalaland. Something in the kitchen disturbed him from his sleep. Groaning, he dragged himself out of bed and went into the kitchen. Finding Jongdae standing behind a stove, he wondered what the sound was the other had just made.

"Good morning, sleepy head," Jongdae greeted with a bright smile.

"Morning," Baekhyun mumbled and promptly fell face down on the table.

"You haven't slept at all, huh?," Jongdae asked.

A 'mhm' was all he got for an answer. Jongdae turned around to look at his best friend. It really hurt him to see Baekhyun this worn out. He quickly finished off making breakfast and took a seat in front of Baekhyun.

"Uhm, Baekhyun... I... err... want to... tell-," Jongdae was about to say, but was interrupted by a phonecall.

Mr. Kim.

"Uh, I got to take this call, ok. Have breakfast, I will be right back," Jongdae said hurriedly and shoved a plate of pancakes infront of Baekhyun before hurrying away.

When Jongdae disappeared, Baekhyun finally looked up at the disappearing figure. That was odd. Jongdae never kept secrets from him and right now, his friend is keeping something secretive from him. Sure everyone has the right to private calls and whatsoever, but Jongdae never leaves whenever he takes a phonecall. Shaking the thought away, Baekhyun decided to have the breakfast before going job hunting. He had enough things to worry about already.

 

It was almost 3 in the afternoon when Baekhyun finally sagged down on a bench, tired and starved from an all day job hunting. It was either they didn't need new personnel or he looked too young to work or they didn't pay enough for the amount of money he needed. Sighing, he ignored his growling stomach. He was hungry, but he didn't have enough money to buy something to eat at the moment. His day was getting worse with every second. Deciding to continue looking for a well paid job, Baekhyun was about to get up from the bench when his phone went off. An unfamiliar number was displayed and Baekhyun wondered who it was.

"Mr. Byun, this is Mr. Jung speaking, secretary of Mr. Park. I'd like to request for your appearance if possible, today at Mr. Park's house. I believe you know where Mr. Park lives?," an unfamiliar voice came through the phone.

"Uhm... why would Mr. Park want to see me?," Baekhyun asked warily.

"That question is not up to me to answer. I only follow orders, so please do obey. You don't want Mr. Park to get angry,"

Baekhyun frowned at his phone. The line went dead without even a proper greeting. His day just couldn't get any worse. First the hospital, then failing at finding a job and now this. He heaved a sigh as he got up. He might as well get over with it. Mentally preparing himself for whatever was to befall on him, Baekhyun made his way to the familiar street leading to Chanyeol's house.

 

Meeting Park senior for the second time was not what Baekhyun had expected. And on top of all, alone.He thought he would be safe until Chanyeol got back his car, but he was surprised when Park senior had exclusively requested for his presence. And so he was standing in front of the said man for five minutes already.

"Byun Baekhyun, right?," grandpa Park started, It wasn't a question. It was more like a statement.

"Y-yes, sir...," Baekhyun stammered.

"Who are you actually?," grandpa Park asked.

"I've told you already, sir...,"

"Come clean with me or else I will have you arrested for invading private property and impersonating someone you are not," grandpa Park said, his eyebrows furrowed in anger..

Baekhyun was taken aback by the fire in Park senior's eyes. He wanted to lie, but after the threat, Baekhyun hesitated.

"If you are not going to tell me, then I will tell you," grandpa Park started and smacked a white folder on a nearby table, making Baekhyun jump in surprise. A couple of pictures fell out of the folder. 

"Byun Baekhyun. Age 22. Currently unemployed. Stays with a friend from time to time. Fatherless, a sick mother, currently at the hospital. Using my grandson to get money," grandpa Park summed up, glaring at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun's eyes widened in horror. How did this man know about his personal information? How did he know about his mom? His eyes scanned the fallen pictures of him exiting a shabby, old house. Another picture of him at the recent race. Him at the hospital, visiting his sick mother. He couldn't believe it! The old man had someone stalk him!

"You must be wondering how I know about you, huh? I hired a private investigator and he had enough proof to make me call the police and have you arrested for deceiving my grandchild!," grandpa Park almost barked.

"No! Please, sir! I-I... I didn't deceiv-," Baekhyun wanted to protest, but was silenced with a slam of the walking stick on the floor.

Baekhyun cringed in fear. He really didn't deceive Chanyeol. It was the other way around, except, they weren't deceiving each other. They were using each other for benefits, that's all.

"I don't care what you have to say. I only want to know one thing. Why? Why go through all the hideous acts when you know the truth will unfold one day?," grandpa Park asked calmly this time.

"Sir... if you could just hear me out," Baekhyun started carefully, wringing his hands. "Your grandson wanted his car back and- and... he... asked for my... help and... as a friend, I thought... I'd help," Baekhyun lied.

Grandpa Park looked at him with an I-don't-believe-you-look. Why would the other go lie again? Why would he lie about Chanyeol? He didn't really understand. Was there more to the act?

"And you agreed?,"

Baekhyun nodded, asking for forgiveness and hoping the eldery would buy his story.

"Well, sorry to disappoint you. I have to say he has a fiance now and they are going to get married next month. You should feel lucky I'm telling you beforehand and not let you be a fool and go on with these lies. What I'd like is for you to leave my grandson immediately and never to contact him in any way whatsoever. If I find out you're as anywhere as near my grandson, then I will make sure both you and your mother will suffer the consequences. In exchange for that, your mother's surgery costs will be taken care of," grandpa Park offered.

Baekhyun stood in front of the eldery, stunned at the new words. He was just asked to break up with Chanyeol. Not that they were really dating in the first place but still. He had somehow came to like the other in a friendly way. There was something called hope inside of him, wishing that maybe they can grow more intimate and maybe, just maybe they can become... Couldn't they even stay friends or something? No, the old man had clearly stated that he should remove himself from the picture and to act as if Chanyeol had never happened or existed in his life. He balled his hands in fists. How dare this man decide for him. And he'd think that Baekhyun would accept the money? No way in hell was he going to do that and he was sure of it!

"I have to disappoint you, sir. I don't need your money for mom's surgery. I'll do whatever you say about leaving your grandson, but I will not allow anyone to pay for my mom's surgery. I may be a fool to not accept your offer, but I have my pride too and I will not let that pride get stepped on," Baekhyun said.

He didn't know where he got the strength to stay that calm and voice those words. He only knew he had to get out of the house. It was suffocating him and he felt tears prickling behind his eyeballs. He had to get away fast!

"If there is nothing more, sir... I'll be taking my leave. You have my word on staying away from your grandson. I hope you will respect my decision on not paying for my mom's surgery,"

"Very well. If that's what you want, then that's all," grandpa Park said.

Baekhyun gave a 90 degrees bow and left as quickly as his legs could carry him. Tears were already streaming down his cheeks, but he ignored them, making his way to wherever his feet took him. He just wanted to be away. Away from everything. His head hurt, his chest hurt, his limbs hurt and most of all his heart hurt. Why? He didn't know exactly.

When he arrived at the park, Baekhyun sagged down on a bench once again and cried to his heart's content. It may have taken an hour or more for him to calm down, but he finally stopped crying. Every energy drained from his body. He was back at square one.

Money.

He needed to find the money first, or else they were not going to go on with the surgery. But where will he find that much money in just three days. He had thought of asking Chanyeol, but decided against the idea, because he didn't want to be indebted to the other and Park senior had already threatened him to stay away from Chanyeol.

"Baekhyun?,"

Baekhyun didn't move. When a large hand gave him a firm shake then he realized he wasn't alone at the park.

"Baekhyun, why are you crying?," Chanyeol asked looking worried at the smaller one.

Baekhyun's eyes widened in surprise. Crying? He carefully brought a hand up to feel his cheeks, and sure his cheeks were wet. Again. He hadn't realized that he's been crying again. He was too shocked to even even feel tears rolling down. He quickly wiped them away before forcing a smile on his sad face.

"Are you alright?," Chanyeol asked again not letting go of Baekhyun.

"I-I am f-fine. I just got something in my eyes," Baekhyun lied.

"Are you sure?,"

Chanyeol didn't believe him at all. Although he wasn't that sharp like others, but when it came to Baekhyun, he knew exactly when the smaller one was troubled. And it hurt his heart to see the puppy crying like that.

"Yeah. Why are you here?," Baekhyun suddenly asked, a smile on his face.

"Uhm... I need to go back to work and happened to have found you here. My lunchbreak is over," Chanyeol answered.

"Oh... ok... in that case, you should go to work then. I will be leaving now. It was nice seeing you," Baekhyun said and was about to walk away, but Chanyeol pulled him back.

"Where are you going?," Chanyeol asked.

Remembering the threat and promise he'd made to Park senior, Baekhyun apologized in his mind and pushed away from Chanyeol.

"I got to go," Baekhyun said quickly and turned around to run off to a random direction. 

He didn't look back at the other, because he knew he was going to regret it.  It was better to stay as far away as possible. That way he would be safe. He had to go on with his life. Take a different course now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------

A/N:

Aah, finally, finished editing and typing everything! Sorry for the late update. Hope you guys can be patient with me. I want to write a good fanfic and not a crappy one, hence the long time for an update!

Please do comment, subscribe and upvote! Thank you and much loves and huggles!

 

Oh, I hope EXO will win!! Please, EXO must win! There are people playing unfair out there. Let's drop the immature act and root for your favourite artist and not bash other fans and or artists!! Thank you