Chapter 10

Racing for hearts

 

Baekhyun bit on his thumbnail nervously as he stood there on the pavement, a little away from the path leading to the front door of the Park manor. He was currently having an internal fight with himself on what he was actually doing there. After the talk with the two friends of Chanyeol, Baekhyun had taken the whole night to sort out his feelings. He let everything that had happened between him and Chanyeol set on repeat in his mind and finally realized he had been pushing a forbidden feeling away for quite a while now. Even though he had been trying to deny his feelings, he'd realized he really couldn't forget about the tall giant. He'd tried to proof himself that he would be alright if the other didn't answer his feelings back, but he found out he was wrong about that. He wanted the other. He needed the other. He had to have the other beside him. Only then, Baekhyun would feel complete.

It took him a lot of time to gather his courage and come up to the other's house. It was now or never. Baekhyun took a deep breath before stomping his way over to the front door. Pressing the doorbell, Baekhyun waited for the door to be opened. It didn't take long, before the door was opened by a butler and Baekhyun asked if the master of the house was at home.

"I am sorry, sir... young master had just left the house not too long ago," the butler answered politely.

"Uhm... do you know where he went?," Baekhyun asked.

"Well, sir... he's off to his work and-," the butler's words were cut off immediately by Baekhyun screaming "Ok! Thank you!" and he was left blinking at the empty spot Baekhyun had just occupied.

 

After the butler had told him where the taller lad went, Baekhyun hurried away quickly and hoped to find the other at the company. It didn't take him too long to arrive at the destined place and before he knew it, he was standing infront of the Park Corp. Making his way inside the building, Baekhyun prayed that he could find the other there. But, unfortunately, he was told the other had just left for a meeting and no one was sure when he was going to be back. Thanking the frontdesk lady, he turned away and left the company. Why couldn't he find the other when he needed the other? Not so sure what to do then, Baekhyun decided to just wait somewhere near the company, in case the other returned back from the said meeting so he could talk to the other.

Baekhyun waited and waited. It was until three PM, Baekhyun decided to give up and go home. He hadn't eaten for the whole day and he was tired of looking and searching for the other. And having waited at the nearby park for almost four hours already had made him feel all drowsy and annoyed. Baekhyun decided it was best maybe to go get something to eat first before going Chanyeol-hunting again.

After his small meal, he then strolled back to the park he'd left earlier, but stopped when he reached the race track where he had first met the other. And to his astonishment, Baekhyun found the man he had been looking for almost the whole day, standing right in front of his eyes. He couldn't believe what his eyes were seeing. The tall giant was actually standing in between a mass of dancing ladies, only clad in bikinis and shorts, laughing and cheering on whoever was on the racetrack. He slowly felt his anger boiling and made his way over to the taller one. He was so going to give the other a piece of his mind!

"Yah! Park Chanyeol!," Baekhyun yelled out as loud as he could, catching the other's attention immediately.

"How dare you!,"

Baekhyun didn't even let the other utter a word and practically tackled the other, sending both of them falling on the ground. Both boys were suddenly rolling around, pushing and pulling each other like crazy. The crowd, who had been absorbed in the car race earlier, shifted their attention to the two fallen lads. It was finally when one of the onlookers decided to break them apart, that the crowd decided to go back to the car race.

Pulling away from insistent, unfamiliar hands, Baekhyun finally stood there, glaring at the other as hard as he could. He ignored the pain in his body, caused by the fall and the small fight between him and Chanyeol. Baekhyun didn't know why he was angry. All he knew was, he was angry at the latter.

"What the hell is your problem?!," Chanyeol screamed as he yanked his arm away from a pair of hands.

"My problem? What the hell is your problem?! Aren't you supposed to be at a meeting?," Baekhyun hollered.

"Wha-?! How did you know?,"

"Nevermind how I know. What the hell are you doing here?!," Baekhyun demanded.

 

Chanyeol gaped at the shorter one. He was beyond confused. First, this midget decided to waltz into his life and turn it upside down and then disappear from mother earth to revive again and demand him, Park ing Chanyeol, what he was doing there at his own private property?! This boy really had some nerve to do that!

"What do you care?!," Chanyeol screamed back angrily. "It's my property and I can stand there whenever I want!,"

"Aish! You... you...!," Baekhyun didn't even know what to scream to the other anymore.

All words were lost when he finally returned back to himself. He didn't know why he was so angry a few minutes ago. He just felt angry. He was supposed to go apologize and talk to the other like civilians do, but instead he found himself feeling all angry and jealous? He was actually jealous to see Chanyeol was in the presence of other girls. And to think that he had suffered that morning to find the idiot and wanted to apologize and where the hell would he find the other? At the illegal race track! Flaunted with other girls! At that moment, it was as if something snapped and Baekhyun had to release that hidden side of him. A side which he, himself, didn't know that he possessed. But, when he finally realized that getting angry at the other wasn't going to get him anywhere, he took a step back. Suddenly feeling embarrassed about his behaviour, he bit his lower lip, actually out of words.

"Yah, whatever you want to say, say it now. I don't have all day," Chanyeol said irritated.

"Can we talk?," Baekhyun asked while lowering his head a bit.

"I am waiting,"

"Look... I am sorry... okay. I didn't mean-,"

"You don't mean what? Look at me when we talk," Chanyeol interrupted.

Baekhyun hesitated. Was he ready to tell the other? Was he ready to reveal his feelings? The way Chanyeol was acting now had already given him an illustration of how Chanyeol felt about him. The other hated his guts now. Baekhyun cleared his throat unconsciously. He didn't want to look at the other. He didn't want to see what Chanyeol's eyes were going to reveal to him. He was afraid he wouldn't be able to accept the rejection. But, maybe it was time to finally let go. He had to face the truth one day anyway, so why not just get it over with? That way he could go on with his life. His wounds could eventually be healed one day.

"I didn't mean to treat you like that. I've been told that I was actually the cause... of well... almost everything... so I wanted to apologize," Baekhyun said carefully.

"Uhuh and?,"

"And... well... I hope we can still be friends,"

"Why only friends?," Chanyeol demanded.

"I know... you only... wait... what? What did you just say?," Baekhyun suddenly became alert and snapped his head up as he watched the other carefully.

"You didn't answer my question," Chanyeol said.

"Uhm...,"

"Damn it, Baekhyun! You are driving me crazy! Can't you just answer a decent question? I keep ing ask you why you are like this and that and you don't even want to answer them. And now I ask a simple question and you can't even ing give a simple answer! Why can we be only friends?!," Chanyeol snapped and was in an instant standing infront of the shorter lad.

Baekhyun bit his lower lip. He was trying so hard not to tremble when the other was standing so close to him, Maybe, just maybe, the other might actually have feelings for him. But, too bad for both of them then. Chanyeol's grandpa had made sure the latter already have a fiance and they were going to get married any time soon. He ignored the stinging pain in his chest and forced himself to look at Chanyeol.

"Because that is the only thing we can offer each other. I hope you will forgive me for what I have done and maybe we can start all over again?," Baekhyun answered quietly.

"Hahaha, you think just by apologizing like that I'd forgive you? Well, hate to burst your bubbles. I've been doing things your way all this time and nothing worked out for both you and me. From now on, let's do things my way! I will forgive only you after we have another match on the race track. I win, you are mine. You win, you can do whatever the hell you want," Chanyeol said while jabbing a long finger on the other's chest.

 

Each lad borrowed a car from one of the street racers. Seeing both were quite known in the racing world, they were quickly excused from certain rules. Once they were all set, the show could begin. The start sign was given and both cars sped away, trying to reach the finish line first. They didn't care about anything else. The only thing they could think about was win. But this time, it wasn't for money or a trophy. It was for much more, a better thing to be exact. It was for their heart.

The speeding cars were closely followed by cameras set on every few metres of the race track. Each motion could be seen and followed by spectators. It didn't take long for both of them to pass each other and everytime, one of the car passed the other, the crowd cheered and rooted for their favourite, hoping the fastest would win.

Chanyeol could see the finish line in sight and got ready to use the red button on the steering wheel. Counting the seconds, he then ticked off until it was time to use NOS and let the car hit the finish line. Bringing the car to a stop, Chanyeol let the feeling of victory wash over him. It has been quite a while since he had had a great match and it somehow made him feel like he was on the top of the world. The feeling was great. The feeling was great amazing. He had missed that feeling.

Chanyeol smirked. He won again. Turning to look at the other car, which Baekhyun had occupied, he suddenly felt excitement take over him. He could finally have the other. He could finally take the other with him. After all the misery he had went through those past few weeks or months, Chanyeol could finally feel himself living again, breathing again. And it felt great! But, he had yet to make sure the other woudn't disappear from him again. Forcing himself to stay calm, Chanyeol got out of the car and waited for the other to do the same. Once they were standing face to face, Chanyeol waited for whatever the other wanted to say. And surprisingly, the other just sighed in defeat and didn't say anything at all. Chanyeol started to get a little worried and was about to ask the other if everything was okay, but the other already opened his mouth.

"Congrats, you won... again," Baekhyun said defeated.

Chanyeol didn't reply immediately. He let those words sink his head and realized it was the second time, he won against the other. He should feel good about it, or better, he should feel great about it, but somehow, he felt as if something wasn't right. Why the sudden awkward feeling? Chanyeol didn't know. He coughed a few times and decided it was best to go somewhere more private.

He grabbed a hold of Baekhyun's arm and practically dragged the other along with him. He didn't give any room for the other to say anything and just ignored the questions Baekhyun fired at him. When they were finally out of sight and in Chanyeol's office, Chanyeol then let go of the other.

"Ok... you won. I get it. But, what I don't get is why you won't tell me why we are actually here," Baekhyun said.

"I love you," Chanyeol blurted out.

Baekhyun blinked. And blinked. Did he hear it right? Did the other just confessed to him? Maybe he was just dreaming and hearing things. Baekhyun didn't want to get his hopes up too high. The other must be messing with him and he really didn't need that.

"I... errr... I... o-kay... that was surprising," Baekhyun could only say.

Chanyeol slapped his head at the other's reaction. He had just freaking confessed and this was the reaction he got? What part of 'I love you' didn't the other understand? Was the other that stupid?

"Is that all I get?!," Chanyeol practically screeched out now.

"Look... I don't know what to say. But... this is not funny, Chanyeol. Loving someone is a serious thing. You don't love me. Maybe, just as a friend, but not what you think. You have a fiance already and I am sure you love her more and besides... what about your car? Your father's dream?," Baekhyun said quietly.

"Argh~!! This is- Are you even listening to me? I told you, I don't have a fiance! Where the hell do you come up with a fiance? Huh? And leave my car out of this. This has nothing to do with my car. This is between you and me!," Chanyeol yelled out.

"Your grandfather told me that you already have a fiance and that you were going to get married soon. You told me you don't ever want to tie yourself down onto another and yet you are going that way. Wasn't that what you were afraid of? And yet, here you are telling me something else. This is just ridiculous. I shouldn't have come in the first place," Baekhyun said.

Chanyeol let the words sink in and then it hit him. The other night at his grandma's party, he saw his grandpa following Baekhyun. His grandpa must've been the one behind everything. Chanyeol balled his hands into fists as he thought of ways to get back at his grandpa. How dared his grandpa meddle into his private affairs. Even though he had made it very clear to his grandfather that he didn't want anyone to meddle in his private life, the old man still did it anyway. He knew he shouldn't have trusted the other for being overly friendly towards Baekhyun and actually allowing him to be with Baekhyun. That old man must've said something to Baekhyun to make the other sudden turn away from him. He couldn't wait till he got his hands on his grandfather.

"What did my grandfather tell you? And you better tell me the truth, because if I find out you are lying to me too, then I will have both your head and grandpa's for bbq tonight!," Chanyeol threatened.

Baekhyun gulped. The other looked as if he was about to murder him anytime soon and he feared things could only worsen if he kept the secret, which had been hidden for quite a while now, from the other. Deciding it was best to spill everything and let Chanyeol take care of the consequences, Baekhyun started on his story. He started from all the way when he was asked to meet grandpa Park one day and ended with why he was actually standing in front of the other at the moment.

After Chanyeol heard the story from Baekhyun, he didn't know what to feel anymore. He felt angry and yet pity for the other. Angry, because Baekhyun didn't even tell him, ask him to help, come to him for help. And pity, because the other had suffered all this time too and had been keeping everything for himself, even though the other was in such a difficult situation. And to think that the shorter one had to suffer all alone and yet could stay optimistic.

"But, I am happy though... I mean, mom is okay and well, I promised to pay back every penny. Don't worry, I will work hard to do that. I am sure that I can have every cent paid back by a couple of years," Baekhyun finally ended with a soft smile.

And that was when Chanyeol fell in love all over again.

He pulled the other into a bone-crushing hug and pressed feathery kisses on every part of Baekhyun's face. Muttering 'I love you's' occassionally, Chanyeol could only hold onto the other and wished he never had to let go. But, he had to eventually when he got no reaction from the other. Seeing the confused look on Baekhyun's face, Chanyeol thought the latter really looked like a cute puppy. 

"Does that mean... you... really do love me?," Baekhyun finally croaked out.

"Yes! I love you, Baekhyun. I really do... I've loved you this whole time! Believe me!," Chanyeol said, his voice filled with sincerity.

It took a minute for Baekhyun to accept those words and for the first time in his life, he felt overjoyed. He felt his chest swelling up with happiness. His mind was getting all fuzzy and hazy, too happy to think right. He couldn't believe his ears. The other had actually loved him all this time.

"I love you, too... Chanyeol," Baekhyun finally said.

And with that, he pulled Chanyeol into a deep and loving kiss, His kiss was replied immediately and for a moment, both Chanyeol and Baekhyun felt themselves living in their world. Enjoying every second that passed by, until they had to break apart to gasp for fresh oxygen. For a moment, both Chanyeol and Baekhyun enjoyed each other in each other's arms. They didn't want to let go of each other yet and simply wanted to feel each other. Hoping they could continue like this for a while.

A sudden ring of Chanyeol's cellphone eventually broke them apart. Cursing whoever dared to call and interrupt his precious moment alone with Baekhyun, Chanyeol almost yelled at the caller. But he managed to keep his stoic self just in time and was surprised to find his grandmother on the other side of the phone. She called to ask him to come home and have his favourite dish she had made and he gladly accepted it.

"Let's go," Chanyeol said as he tucked Baekhyun's hand in his pocket, not letting go the whole time. He was afraid the other would disappear if he didn't hold on tight.

"Wait... what if your grandpa is going to be angry with us," Baekhyun protested, but still followed his new hard found lover.

"Don't worry about gramps. I have grandma. She'll be really happy to see you. Did you know, she actually threatened to kick me out of my house if I didn't bring you back!," Chanyeol recalled the way his grandmother had ordered him to bring her baby back. "And she actually degraded me from being her baby and made you her baby!,"

Baekhyun chuckled at how childish Chanyeol could be when he wanted to and thought that maybe there was a chance grandpa Park would have to accept them eventually. Grandma Park had already approven of them and that was more than enough for Baekhyun for now.

 

Dragging the shorter lad along, Chanyeol couldn't help but feel thrilled that he finally had the other where he wanted him to be. Baekhyun was one step closer to being his. The only thing he needed now was approval from his grandpa. And Chanyeol knew exactly where to find help with that. The moment, they stepped into the house, his grandmother started covering his Baekhyun in hugs and kisses to the extend that Chanyeol had to pull Baekhyun away from her. She was too happy for both of them. And, according to her, Baekhyun needed more affection, which she proudly wanted to provide. Baekhyun was quite amused at the way grandma Park behaved and was sure that everything would be alright from that moment on. He definitely had grandma Park on his side.

"Grandma, I want another piece of pie," Chanyeol whined, trying to get his grandmother's attention.

"Oh, here you go honey," 

She didn't even give him one glance! He was slowly wondering if it was a good thing he brought Baekhyun home. The way his grandmother had been hogging the other, made him feel left out. Even though he'd tried desperately to get either one of their attention, he was easily tuned out and ignored.

"Aigo... I am so happy to have you back, my dear," grandma Park finally sighed out happily, not letting go of Baekhyun the whole time she was talking to the shorter lad.

"I am glad too, grandma,"

He offered a small smile before turning to look at a glaring Chanyeol. Forcing the chuckle away, Baekhyun decided to have a little pity on the other. He patted Chanyeol on the back and asked the other what was wrong. The other didn't answer and he didn't need to, because Baekhyun already knew the answer.

It was close to evening when both Chanyeol and Baekhyun were finally excused from whatever they were doing and they decided to chill out somewhere in the garden. Chanyeol took fully advantage of the moment and didn't let Baekhyun go the whole time. He claimed that Baekhyun would just disappear or get snatched away by others. Baekhyun didn't quite know who were defined as 'others'.

When it was close to dinner time, a maid came over to announce it was time to eat and both had to make themselves appear at the dining-room. The moment, they stepped into the dining-room, Baekhyun stopped in his tracks. There, at the head of the table, sat no one other than Park senior. Feeling the other stopping abruptly, Chanyeol turned to follow Baekhyun's gaze and he unconsciously tigthened the hold on Baekhyun's hand.

"Ah... there you two youngsters are. Come here, have a seat," grandpa Park invited with a small smile.

Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun hesitated, but followed the orders anyway. They did as told and eyed the old man warily. What was going on? The old man didn't look at least one bit angry or disapproving at them. He was actually looking all... happy? Did they miss something? Why was the very same man who wanted to break them apart, actually welcoming them both without a trace of disapproval?

"So... you two have finally found each other," grandpa Park started.

"Uh... what is going on, grandpa?," Chanyeol asked first.

"Don't worry, my child... your grandpa had just been a overly overprotective grandparent and just didn't want you hurt," grandma Park suddenly entered the room and took a seat beside her husband.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun looked at each other confused and then turned to look at both Chanyeol's grandparents. They had definitely missed something. Chanyeol was about to ask something when they were interrupted by the doorbell ringing.

"Oh! Goodie! He's finally here," grandpa Park clapped his hands happily.

More confusion could be seen on their faces as they wondered who would be joining their evening. The moment, the guest entered the room, Baekhyun's eyes widened in pure shock and horror. 

Jongdae.

"What is going on?," Baekhyun asked.

"Hi, Baekhyun... uhm... please don't be angry," Jongdae started nervously.

"Is there something we both should know?," Chanyeol asked.

"Well, this young man here has played his role very well," grandpa Park started. "You see, the first day you brought Baekhyun here, I've asked someone to dig in some information about him. I found out quite some interesting things. It made me feel happy and sad at the same time. To sum everything up... Baekhyun... your father... used to be a really close friend of mine. After his... death... or at least, I've been told that he is dead... I didn't know he had a child. When I finally saw you... hahaha... you look just like your father... I knew then that you had to be his son," grandpa Park said.

"Then why did you lie to Baekhyun?," Chanyeol asked.

"Just to test him. To see if he was worth it. And he proofed himself," grandpa Park simply said.

Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun deadpanned.

"Then what does Jongdae have to do with everything?," Baekhyun asked as he turned to look at his only friend.

"Uhm... well, Park senior here... met me one day and we talked... Baekhyun ah... please, don't be angry. I didn't mean to hide from you, but he really just wanted to see if you loved Chanyeol more than anything," Jongdae said.

"You lied to me. You lied to me! You, Kim Jongdae lied to me!!," Baekhyun screamed out in anger.

"Eep! I am sorry! I really am!,"

Before Jongdae could say anything, Baekhyun had already leaped out of his chair and chasing down the other like a madman. Jongdae screamed out bloody murder, crying for someone to save him. If Chanyeol didn't have to finish unfinished business, he would've sat back and enjoyed the show. But, too bad, he had to have a chat with his grandpa.

"So, my dear grandpa... you were doing this... all for my own... good?," Chanyeol started sweetly and ended with an almost poisonous glint in his eyes, making his grandfather recoil slightly in fear. 

"Uh... ehehehe... y-yes...," 

His grandfather was stammering and that was a good sign. Chanyeol wanted the old man to fear him for whatever he had in store for the other.That man deserved it! He deserved it for making him suffer like that. To make him shed tears like crazy and almost go berserk for worrying about Baekhyun the whole time. 

"Grandpa, did you know you almost sent me to hell with whatever hell you let us both go through? Huh?!," Chanyeol screamed out on the top of his lungs.

Grandpa Park squeaked in surprise and actually had to use his wife as a shield to protect himself from his grandson's wrath. Chanyeol didn't let that face him and continued to threaten his grandpa and make the other cower in fear.

That night, it was all screams and yellings going through the Park manor. Threats thrown here and there and occasionally, some furniture flying from one side to the other. Whether or not, one of the inhabitants made it alive, no one knew. The Park manor was, after all, positioned in a very deserted area in South-Korea, Seoul.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-The End-

fin

------------------

A/N:

Kyaaaa~ I am finally finished!! Oh, how I wanted to update this on 31st December, but I didn't make it :( But still, it's finished! I am very proud of it. Please, don't mind the typos or any mistakes in the chapter. Didn't feel like proofreading at all. My ears are hurting from all the crackers and fireworks and my head is pounding like crazy. I should actually be tucked under my thick comforter and sleep, but I wanted to finish this off first. I am thinking about an epilogue... but I am not sure yet.

Happy new year to all my lovely readers!

Please, subscribe and upvote. Thank you for reading and having patience with me. Please do leave a comment so I know what you think of my story. Maybe I will edit the whole story someday. Don't know yet.

Once again, Happy New Year. Goodbye 2013, Welcome 2014. A new year full of new expectations and wishes. Hope to have a prosperous year and may all my fanfics be updated asap!

 

A push in the right direction - TAORIS

Unexpected Assistant - KAISOO