Chapter 4

Racing for hearts

 

Baekhyun looked in awe as the car came to a stop at the front of a big mansion. He knew rich people lived in big houses, but he'd never imagined it was this big. The mansion could even take up to at least three normal houses. He wondered how rich people can even live in such a big thing. It was too spacious and in a way, empty. Wouldn't they feel lonely? Suddenly, Baekhyun felt really small and intimidated.

"Come on, this way," Chanyeol directed him when they stepped out of the car.

"I am not a dog, you know," Baekhyun muttered under his breath, but loud enough for Chanyeol to hear.

"Sure you are not. But, you are to follow my every instruction for the success of my plan," Chanyeol remarked.

"Fine. As long as you pay me every end of the week," Baekhyun retorted.

"I see you really are desperate for the money," Chanyeol said without looking at the other.

 

"Yeah, maybe I am," Baekhyun thought to himself. The sad look he had on his face was quickly replaced with a happy one. He didn't want the other to notice that there was something going on with him. He wanted to stay as far away as possible from the other so his secret could be safe. The lesser the tall one knew the better it was for Baekhyun.

Baekhyun never said anything back as he followed Chanyeol to god knows where. The interior was too big for him to remember which path they had taken and were heading. He only hoped to never get lost in the maze of halls and rooms. Whenever he thought he would remember the path they had taken, they'd turn to another way and confuse him even more since the other way looked exactly the same as the previous path they'd taken.

"Where are we going?," Baekhyun finally decided to gather his courage and ask the other. Chanyeol never told him where they were heading in the first place. And Baekhyun never liked to not know where they were going.

"To meet my gramps," Chanyeol simply replied and finally came to a stop at an mahogany door.

Chanyeol knocked thrice on the door before he let himself in. Baekhyun didn't follow. He contemplated whether or not to follow immediately. He felt fear crept inside his body. This was even more scarier than he'd thought. He suddenly felt like backing down from all of this and thought of running away while he still had the chance. But then again, it was a bad idea since he'd get lost in the house and all. Baekhyun decided to just go with it and prayed that lady luck would be at his side.

 

"Grandpa...," Chanyeol greeted with a slight bow.

Grandpa Park his swivel chair to look at his grandson. There his grandson was. Handsome as ever! Seeing a stranger standing just a bit behind his grandson, his interest piqued. Where did his grandson find such a person? The boy looked as if he had not taken a shower for days.

"Ah... Chanyeol ah, who is this friend of yours?," grandpa Park asked.

"Oh," Chanyeol flashed a toothy smile, grabbed Baekhyun's wrist and forced the other to stand next to him before answering:"Grandpa, meet my... lover, Baekhyun,"

Before Chanyeol could blink his eyes, his grandpa had already jumped out of his chair and pulled the shorter away from him. Since when did his grandpa got that flexible? He thought his grandpa needed a walking stick to walk.

"Uhm... ahem... please to meet you, Mr. Park," Baekhyun stammered out feeling nervousness creep inside his body. All the hairs on his neck were practically standing now.

Baekhyun could see the slight similarity with Chanyeol. Both Mr. Park and Chanyeol were tall and had those pointy ears. And not to forget, the row of flashy teeth. Chanyeol was almost copy paste of the older man.

"What is your name again?," grandpa Park asked still hovering around him.

"Byun. Byun Baekhyun, sir," Baekhyun replied timidly. He shrank away visibly, trying to create more space between himself and Chanyeol's grandpa.

"Byun... sounds familiar... I've heard of this name before," grandpa Park said thoughtfully, still not letting go of Baekhyun. "Where do you live? What occupation does your parents have? Do they live here? Or somewhere else? I want to meet them," the old man rattled on not taking notice of how uneasy Baekhyun was feeling at the moment.

Baekhyun swallowed. "This was a bad idea!" he wanted to scream at Chanyeol. He did not know how to reply. Scratch that. He didn't want to reply, because he was afraid this man was going to look down on him and he didn't need that at the moment. Somehow, this grandpa Park seemed to know more than he let on. There was almost that knowing glint in his eyes, but before Baekhyun could take a good look, the glint was gone already. He really had a lot to bear at the moment 

"Grandpa! You are scaring him!," Chanyeol came to the rescue luckily and pulled Baekhyun away from his grandpa.

Chanyeol wrapped his long arm around Baekhyun's shoulders as if to protect the other one from any harm. Sure he didn't have a second agenda. No, he just didn't want too much info to be revealed. His grandpa was a smart man and he could find out his plan if he didn't play it safe. He didn't want both of them to get busted even before his plan was carried out.

He felt Baekhyun relax visibly under his arm. The boy must have been scared out of his wits. Chanyeol almost felt sorry for the kid, but he prayed the other would just hang on for a while. It'll be over soon. 

"He's staying with a friend. So, nevermind that grandpa. Let's have dinner tonight, if it's convenient," Chanyeol suggested looking at his grandpa.

Grandpa Park gave him a curious look. There was something going on and he wanted to know what. For now, he was going to let it slide, but he vouched to look more into this new stranger his grandson had taken home. He only had to make sure not to get caught, or else he would never hear the end of it from his wife. His wife would always take their grandson's side whether or not he was right or wrong. So, for now, he'd pretend to play along. Let's see how long they can play the game.

 

That night, Baekhyun had his first luxurious meal in his life. Lots of delicious and expensive looking food decorated the table and Baekhyun wondered if he would be able to finish all of the food they'd set for him. He was not used to this amount of food. Usually, he and Jongdae would have something simple or he would just eat something small, like a bread for example. But, of course he wasn't going to complain about the huge amount of food they'd presented him. He would try to enjoy as much while he could.

"Come on, let's eat," Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun only nodded and followed Chanyeol's lead. Grandpa Park watched the interaction between those two and thought they were actually awkward around each other. It was, either his grandson or the other one glancing once a while at him. Whenever both of them have physical contact, either both of them or one of them retract as if burned by fire.They did not look like a couple. They looked more like strangers. There was definitely something going on and he was sure going to find out what it was.

"How long have you two been dating?," grandpa Park suddenly asked looking at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun almost choked on his food and Chanyeol looked at him, trying to sputter something but failed miserably. "Not long," Baekhyun answered rather vaguely.

"What is actually counted as 'not long'?," grandpa Park prodded. He wasn't going to take that for an answer. He wanted to know more.

"3 months!," "5 months!," 

Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol screamed out in unison. They turned to look at each other while grandpa Park watched in amusement. Yup! There was something between them and grandpa Park might just have an idea what it actually was. But he had to play along for now.

"What is it? 3 or 5? Are you telling me that you both are dating and still do not know how long you two have been dating? I still remember how long I've dated your grandma," grandpa Park said. "So?,"

"5 months!," "3 months!,"

Grandpa Park watched in amusement when again, both Chanyeol and Baekhyun answered his question at the same time, but switched answers.

"Ahem, grandpa... I am very sorry to confuse you... we were just fooling around. It's 5 months to be exact," Chanyeol decided to say after a few minutes of silence. He eyed Baekhyun who looked at him lost.

"I don't remember you mentioning him the previous months," grandpa Park snorted.

"Ahahaha... well, we had to keep it a secret, grandpa. Baekhyunnie is a little shy as you can see," Chanyeol lied through his pearly white teeth, hoping his grandpa would buy it. On the other side of the table, Baekhyun nodded profusely, agreeing to whatever Chanyeol had just said. He was thankful for the other and made a small note to thank the other later.

Their dinner continued further without anything said then. When both Chanyeol and Baekhyun were finally excused from the dinner table, they practically made a mad dash to the door, not daring to stay another second at the dinner table. Both feared for any unexpected questions neither of them were able to answer.

Grandpa Park's eyes never left the two figures as he took out his phone and dialled a familiar number. When the call was connected he was greeted with a "good evening, rich giant". He gave an amused chuckle.

"Still haven't gotten over me, huh? Good evening to you too. Listen, I need your help," a pause. "You have the best detective in your company. Let him look up someone for me. Name is Byun. Byun Baekhyun," another pause. "Alright, I'll hear from you then,"

 

 

"Phew, that was close," Baekhyun sighed out relieved. "Do you think your grandpa bought the story?,"

"I hope so," Chanyeol said while scratching the back of his head.

A pause.

"Uhm..., so I guess I will be leaving now," Baekhyun finally decided to break the awkward tension.

"It's late already... I can let a maid prepare a room for you," Chanyeol offered.

He smacked himself mentally. What was he doing? Did he just invite the other to stay at his house? Was he going crazy? He couldn't believe he actually asked the other to stay. They were just being together for benefits, nothing more, nothing less. But still, Chanyeol argued with himself that it was too dangerous outside for the poor puppy to leave.

"No, I can-,"

"I insist,"

Chanyeol didn't let Baekhyun finish his sentence and just grabbed Baekhyun's wrist. Tugging him towards a random directiion, Chanyeol just hoped he wasn't going to regret anything. He was just being nice. Yeah, that was it. Just being nice was the keyword.

The room next to Chanyeol was prepared in ten minutes and before Baekhyun could do anything, he was left there in the room, alone, after the giant had said 'goodnight'. Baekhyun shrugged. He might as well enjoy his stay for now. Who knows, he might never be able to have this luxury anymore.

 

The next morning Chanyeol woke up early and thought it was strange, because he was never one to wake up that early. He felt giddy, as if eager to start the day with work. He felt happy, but he didn't know what the cause of his happiness was. When he recalled the happenings of the day before, he then remembered that he was close to getting his car. If only he could speed up the process, then he'd get his car faster, but he had to take things easy and not rush. A knock on the door surprised Chanyeol and halted him from his actions.

"Come in," Chanyeol said.

The door opened hesitantly and Chanyeol was surprised to see Baekhyun entering his room hesitantly. He almost forgot the other had spent the night at his house.

"Uhm, good morning," Baekhyun greeted and fidgeted awkwardly at the entrance of the room. His hands were picking on a loose strand of his slightly faded jacket.

"Good morning. Have you slept well?," Chanyeol smiled.

"Yes, thank you very much. Uhm... I have to thank you for letting me stay here. I have to go now," Baekhyun said.

"Let's have breakfast first, then I will drive you to wherever you want to go," Chanyeol said.

"I... ok," Baekhyun nodded. He didn't have the heart to decline, because the other had helped him out. Even if it was for one night.

After they finished their breakfast, Chanyeol brought Baekhyun, as promised, to wherever the other wanted to. And Baekhyun wanted to go to Jongdae's house. Once he was dropped off, Baekhyun was quickly rushed in by an excited Jongdae, asking for details, if he could be any more obvious, Jongdae was hoping for maybe a little more than what Baekhyun decided to tell him.

 

"So, did he make a move on you?," Jongdae suddenly blurted out and he successfully made Baekhyun choke on his bottle of water. After a full five minutes of coughing, Baekhyun glared at his friend. He couldn't believe Jongdae would ask something like that.

"Jongdae! What the hell?! Why would he want to do that? He only cares about his car! I care about my money," Baekhyun said angrily.

"Hmm, I was hoping for... you know...," Jongdae waved his hand around as if Baekhyun would understand his motions instead of wording his thoughts out. "He looked interested in you,"

"No, he is not. Besides, he's filthy rich, he can be interested in any one for all I care. Why would someone like him, be interested in someone like me," Baekhyun huffed.

"Then why would he want you to pretend to be his fiance? In normal cases, normal people don't just go out there and threaten some stranger and then go offer a vacant job as to pretend to be his fiance. There has to be something that caught his attention,"

"It's just coincidence?," Baekhyun opted, shrugging carelessly at his friend.

"Coincidences don't occur like that. You'd actually have to find something attractive of the other to offer this job. Even if it's for the money," Jongdae reasoned.

Baekhyun glared at the other. A tiny voice in his head agreed with what Jongdae had just said, but he wasn't going to admit that. He wanted to stay pertinent. He wasn't going to let his guard down.

"Come on, Baek. He's a great catch!,"

"If you want him so bad, why don't you go after him?,"

"Think about the money. If, in anyway, you two get together, maybe...,"

"Urgh, Jongdae! Stop it! I don't need him to help me with money for mom's surgery. I'm doing well way before I met him," Baekhyun said quietly.

Jongdae nodded, sensing his best friend's mood. He didn't want to cross the line. It was hard for his friend already and he wasn't going to make it any worse for the other to bear.

"Well, let's forget whatever I said and go have ice-cream," Jongdae got up, pulling his friend along with him. 

 

 

A couple of days passed and Baekhyun was almost called over by Chanyeol every day. According to Chanyeol, his grandpa wanted to learn more about Baekhyun, but he never suspected his grandpa had a hidden agenda. Chanyeol paid the agreed amount of money and provided shelter for the other. Everything was going as planned.

"It's almost 3 weeks already... hasn't your grandpa already decided to give back your car?," Baekhyun asked curiously.

Chanyeol didn't answer immediately. For the first time, since he had brought Baekhyun to his house, the thought of wanting his car back, was almost forgotten. And it definitely didn't occur to him, that the past few days, he'd never even thought about anything else than the creature in front of him.

How could the other have such an effect on him? Chanyeol couldn't explain why, but he suddenly didn't want his grandpa to give back his car. Not yet, at least. He hoped his grandpa would actually hold on to his car for a while.

"I guess, grandpa wants to test me out?," Chanyeol said absentmindedly.

"Well, in that case... let's hang out more then," Baekhyun flashed his most beautiful smile he could muster surprising Chanyeol unknowingly.

 

And Chanyeol fell. Hard.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------

A/N:

Ahem, finally I decided to update another chapter. Have been feeling all depressed and all. This is actually a part A. Just when I thought it was enough for one chapter, more things came into my mind that I wanted to put in chapter 4, so I'd decided to split in 2 parts.

-edit-

I think I've just decided to make this one chapter instead of letting it split into two parts. Makes it easier to know how many chapters I've written for the story.

Hopefully you guys will look forward to part B. Thank you for reading and please do comment. I always welcome new readers, subscribers and who ever cares to read this fanfic of mine.