Chapter 3

Racing for hearts

 

After the vacation, Chanyeol was back at square one again. To get his baby back. Problem was, he still hadn't found a suitable partner yet, even if it was just to fool his grandpa and he wasn't planning on stopping with racing. Then there was the problem with his phone. He couldn't reach the stranger, who he'd learned the name went by with Baek or Baekie. And the phone had to actually die on him. What bad luck he had.

Twirling the phone slowly in his hands, Chanyeol tried to think of a way to find the owner of said phone. Maybe he should hire a private detective? But then again, he doesn't even know the real name of the stranger. Or, he could ask his secretary to look up information about that Jongdae kid. He heaved out a sigh, not knowing what to do anymore. And then he realized something. With his phone gone now, he couldn't reach his secretary, his friends or anyone in his contactlist. Crap! And he was one to never remember any numbers by heart.

"Great! Just great!," Chanyeol growled out in annoyance.

Getting up from behind his desk, he decided to go to work. He had nothing to do anyways, or let's just say, without his car, he didn't know what to do anymore.  After an half hour, Chanyeol could be found behind his desk at his office. Trying to occupy himself with the companies' info, he hoped to forget about the incident with the mysterious boy. But, unfortunately, the other had let a deep impression in a way, making it hard for Chanyeol to forget about the other.

A knock on the door startled him out of his reverie and he give permission for his secretary to enter the office. The young lady had been working for him, since he set foot in the company. Having the most experience in contrary to others, she had built up quite a reputation in the Park Car Holding. And Chanyeol was of course proud to have such a person working for him. He wouldn't dare to fire this lady.

"Good morning, Mr. Park. How have you been?," she asked.

"I've been better. Any news?," Chanyeol asked.

"Uhm... I've been trying to contact you several times, sir... but... I got this... feeling, someone doesn't want to answer my calls. Did you change your phone number, sir?,"

"Uhm... actually... there was a little mixed up and now the phone isn't with me for a few weeks already, so... Did someone say anything?," Chanyeol inquired. He wanted to know if the other had left any messages or even said anything at all.

"Hmm... No... not really, this person just merely said I called the wrong number and never bothered to pick up my calls later,"

"Is that so?," Chanyeol had a thoughful look on his face now.

So, this Baek person actually dared to lie and act as if the phone was his and even dared to not answer his important calls. Wait till he got his hands on the other and he'd personally see to it the other would pay for the damage he'd caused. 

"Anyways, sir... since you are here, let me just fill you in what changes there had been and what our plans are for the upcoming weeks," his secretary said and opened a blue folder in her arms. Showing the papers to Chanyeol, she explained every detail printed in the paper. Chanyeol pushed the thoughts of the other away and focused on whatever was explained to him. He had to pay attention so he could report back to his grandpa.

When his watch beeped around 12 o' clock in the afternoon, Chanyeol decided it was time to go take a break. He'd decided to get out of the building and buy something to eat somewhere nearby. Letting his legs carry him to a nearby food court, Chanyeol didn't realize he'd just passed a nearby park. Loud honking and music caught his attention. Curious to know what was going on nearby, Chanyeol closed the distance to the crowd, which had been formed a while back.

A street race.

That was the first thing that ran through Chanyeol's mind when he heard all the screaming men and women. Watching two sportscars take on against each other, Chanyeol felt excitement rise in his chest. He realized then that he'd missed his car that bad. It's been a while (according to him, at least), since he had last taken part in a race. He felt the urge to start racing again, even if it was for a day. Maybe he could borrow someone's car? Nah, he liked his own car better.

But then something, or rather, someone caught his eye.

 

 

Baekhyun was standing a little bit away from the mass of people, waiting for his turn to race. He'd been called in last minute to attend to one of the illegal races again. He knew it was a bit risky, doing something illegal, but he paid no heed to that thought. If it wasn't for the money, he wouldn't be standing there in the first place. And he desperately needed the money at that moment.

"Yo, puppy!,"

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at a waving figure. The man was rather tall and handsome. Why was that man calling him 'puppy'? Did he actually know that guy? No, no one in their right mind would call someone 'puppy', right? But, this tall, handsome guy just did. Deciding to ignore the stranger, Baekhyun turned to look at his left. Where was Jongdae when he needed the other? He was hungry and Jongdae had promised to bring him food 10 minutes ago. Feeling his stomach grumbling, Baekhyun gave a slight massage to ease the pain.

"Hey! Didn't you hear me call?," a rather annoyed voice suddenly surprised Baekhyun. He turned around to look at the same tall, handsome guy. What the hell did the other want from him? He didn't even know that guy!

"Excuse me, do I know you?," Baekhyun quirked an eyebrow at the other.

"Yah, puppy... you forgot already?,"

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at the other. How dared this tall guy call him 'puppy'.

 

Chanyeol didn't know where that came from, but the word just suited the shorter guy. He really kind of looked like a puppy. Chanyeol watched the other his head to the left, looking at him with a questioning look.

"I am sorry, but I don't know you. If you'd excuse me, I have to go,"

Before the other could walk away, Chanyeol's arm suddenly stretched out, encircling around the shorter's right arm, halting the other from walking away, Forcing the shorter one to face him, Chanyeol looked down at the other. The not-so-stranger anymore, was about a head shorter than him and he was looking pissed at him.

"What do you want? And don't call me 'puppy'. My name is Baekhyun," the shorter one said, annoyance flashed through his face.

"Ri-ight, Baekhyun... I am Park, Park Chanyeol... anyways, I believe you have something of mine and I want it back," Chanyeol started.

Baekhyun pulled his arm away roughly, almost missing the warmth of the other's hand.

"My phone. You bumped into me that other day, remember? You took my cellphone by mistake. Now, that I have finally found you, I want it back. Here's yours by the way," Chanyeol said taking said cellphone out of his left pocket.

Baekhyun finally realized what the other was talking about and nodded slowly. Right, he had accidentally bumped into this tall guy a few weeks back when he had to run for his life. There had been an illegal race again and the police came out of nowhere. Baekhyun had no time to waste and ran away as fast as he could. He didn't see the other standing in the way and smacked straight ahead to the other. In all his haste, he'd taken the other's phone and had just realized that when he went to Jongdae. 

After that faithful day, he hadn't the slightest idea how to give the phone back. Luckily, Jongdae had told him about a certain call, coming from the said person he'd bumped into. That's where he learned a little bit about the other. Because someone as rich as this Park person was not hard to forget. Only, he had never actually met the said owner of the phone he'd taken by mistake, personally. The moment his body smacked into the other, Baekhyun barely had time to look at the face closely, so seeing the tall guy in front of him was really a surprise.

 

"Oh, yeah... I remember," he took out the iphone 5 out of his pocket slowly and was about to give it to Chanyeol, but pulled back when Chanyeol was about to take back his phone. He wasn't going to let the other go that easily.

"Not, until you apologize for caling me 'puppy'," Baekhyun decided. The other had no right to give him names. So he wanted to make the other apologize.

Chanyeol glared at Baekhyun. He was a busy man and this Baekhyun guy was making things even more difficult for him. Why couldn't the other just work together and make things easy for both of them? It would save him a lot of time.

"Why should I? I didn't insult you, and besides it suits you. On the contrary, you should apologize for creating this whole mess," Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun gaped at the other. What the hell? How was he the cause of the whole mess? The tall idiot actually dared to blame him for everything? Who told him to stand in the way? Anyone who could see someone rushing should know to move away immediately, right?

"Apologize? This isn't my fault!," Baekhyun snapped out angrily as he put both his hands on his hips.

"It still is. Now give me my phone and we can part our ways," Chanyeol demanded.

Baekhyun stood there with his mouth agape, not believing what he'd just heard. The other really sounded like a brat right now! And he hated people like this Chanyeol guy. Baekhyun was really going to give the other a piece of his mind now!

"Well, you apologize first,"

"Wh- what? I ain't gonna apologize for anything," Chanyeol sputtered out.

"Ok, then you can say bye-bye to your phone," Baekhyun pretended to put the phone away again, but Chanyeol's frantic pleads paused his actions.

"Wait, wait, wait. Don't you want your phone back?," Chanyeol asked, already extending his hand, ready to pull the other again, if the other was to do something.

"Hmm, nah... I needed a new one. I can care less about mine. Besides, I've actually come to like this one," Baekhyun answered looking away from the other.

Chanyeol was close to punching the smaller one now, when Jongdae appeared from behind him. Jongdae pulled Baekhyun behind him, protecting his friend from any unexpected actions Chanyeol might have in mind.

"Let's settle this like mature adults, shall we?," Jongdae suggested.

"What are you doing, Jongdae? I don't need hi-,"

Before Baekhyun could protest, Chanyeol had already in. This was his chance to race again and even if it was just for getting his phone back, borrowing someone's car was a must at the moment. 

"Fine. One on one. You and me. I win, you give me back my phone and we part from there and we'll never see each other again," Chanyeol challenged the other. 

"Bring it on!,"

Baekhyun was one to never back down from a match and he was going to show the other that he'd win like he always does. This area was his expertise and he knew he was very good in it. So, there was no way he was going to lose to the other.

The race between Chanyeol and Baekhyun had been like any other ones. But this time, the race wasn't about the money, but about something else instead. Just as fast as the race started, the race ended fast too. And the result had been unexpected for Baekhyun. It had taken a complete 360 degree turn in his opinion. It was as if someone up there really hated his guts and he was to be punished in any way possible.

 

Baekhyun couldn't believe his eyes. He'd actually lost to the other. Lost. How could he have lost to the other? He'd never lost to such petty races, but this time he was actually thrown back by how good the other was. The other was as much as an experienced racer as he was. Not that his previous opponents weren't experienced, but this Chanyeol guy had actually beat him unlike the other people. Baekhyun groaned in defeat. 

A smirk was displayed on the taller one's face. He held out his hand for Baekhyun, silently asking for his phone back, his smirk never leaving his face. Baekhyun grumbled in annoyance. He felt the urge to wipe that stupid smirk off of that face. If only he could reach up and use something to erase that smug look.

"You cheated!," Baekhyun huffed.

"Did I?," Chanyeol quirked an eyebrow.

Baekhyun pulled the phone out of his pockets and placed it in the opened hand reluctantly. Pulling back, he stuffed both his hands in his pockets, his angry eyes never leaving the smug looking face of Chanyeol.

"Now, I can call the police and you can explain why you are here, illegally," Chanyeol looked at the other still with a smug look. He wanted to have a little fun with this guy. Seeing this guy getting all worked up made him feel even more interested, even though he didn't know why.

Baekhyun's eyes widened in horror. The other was joking right?

"You wouldn't dare," 

"Oh, won't I?," Chanyeol taunted and was about to press the green button, but Jongdae stopped him before he could do it.

"No! Please, Park ssi... we can... you know... negotiate," Jongdae started, tugging at Chanyeol's arm. "We don't need the police here,"

Chanyeol looked down at him. Trying to shrug away Jongdae's arms, he failed miserably, Chanyeol decided to drop it then. He had never thought the other could be that strong. The shorter guy didn't even budge an inch, surprisingly.

"Look, I am sorry ok... just... don't make things even more difficult than they already are. You got your phone back, so... we pretend nothing had ever happened between us," Baekhyun said carefully. He had to back down or else he'd be in a more complicated situation and he'd rather avoid that. This time he'd admit defeat, but next time, if there is going to be a next time, then he'd make sure to win.

"Good," Chanyeol replied after a few moments' thought. "We go our own ways then,"

 

"Baekhyun, come on. Let's go... there is another race coming up. You don't want to be late. There's a lot of cash this time," Jongdae said, pulling Baekhyun along with him.

Both boys ignored the questioning look Chanyeol gave them. Even though he knew it was none of his business, Chanyeol kind of felt he wanted to know more about the boy. He wanted to know more than the other let out. Never in his life was Chanyeol that interested in someone and this Baekhyun guy had actually managed to make him feel curious about the other. There was something that pushed him to get closer to Baekhyun, to get to know the shorter one. A strange feeling had made his way into his body, a strange feeling he couldn't explain. 

Baekhyun and Jongdae were barely a few metres away from Chanyeol when an idea hit him. He could use the other to fool his grandpa and then he would get his car back. It was going to be a great idea. Besides, his grandpa wouldn't know where he met his 'fiance'. It was going to be a great idea. A win win situation.

 

"Hey, wait a minute," Chanyeol called out to the retreating figures, hurrying over quickly.

When he finally got closer, both Baekhyun and Jongdae turned to look at him.

"What?," Baekhyun asked still annoyed at losing to the other.

"I got a proposal," Chanyeol started. Seeing the other look at him questioningly, he decided to continue:"You need money, right? How about you pretend to be my lover and I pay you for the amount of time you pretend to be one? One hundred and thousand dollars one week," 

"Excuse me?! Why would I want to do that?," Baekhyun exclaimed out in disbelief.

"You need money,"

"Yes, but I am not that desperate to lower myself and pretend to love someone I don't, just for money," Baekhyun snorted. Rich people! They always thought they could buy everything with money, even love! Well he wasn't someone who is going to put his heart in danger for someone he barely liked in the first place!

"Come on... ok... how much you want? I can double the price," Chanyeol said.

"Hey-,"

Before Baekhyun could make a remark, Jongdae had kicked his shin. Yelping in pain, he glared at his best friend. Rubbing the abused place, Jongdae sent him a silent message.

"Give us a moment," Jongdae held up a finger, indicating the other to give both him and Baekhyun a minute to talk somethings out.

 

"What is wrong with you?!," Baekhyun hissed, still rubbing his abused shin. "Did you actually have to do that? It hurt damn it!,"

"Take the offer," Jongdae demanded.

"What? You crazy? If you want the money, you take the offer," Baekhyun shot back.

"It's you he wants, not me. Think about it. You need the money, right? And this guy, Park Chanyeol, owns like I don't know how many cars in whole Asia. He has even offered double the price. It's only for a short period. After you get your money, you leave with the money and you don't have to go live like a beggar," Jongdae tried to reason with the other.

"I can always look for a job, Jongdae!," Baekhyun snapped.

"Give me an example of a job that pays what he pays. A week, mind you," Jongdae demanded, putting more stress on the word "week".

A pause. A few blinking and then a narrowed glare at Jongdae. As much as Baekhyun wanted to deny, he couldn't. Jongdae was right. It was just for a short period and besides, he really needed the money fast. There was no time to waste. He was running late.

 

"Fine," Baekhyun finally said when he took his previous spot and looked at Chanyeol. "I'll take the offer, but... under two conditions. One, you give me cash every week you pay me and two, you give me a place to stay," 

"Deal,"

Jongdae smirked happily in himself. Feeling proud to have helped his friend to something he thought was good for his best friend. At least, his friend didn't have to go sleep around somewhere in the park or anything.

"When is Baekhyun going to start?," Jongdae asked.

"Right now," 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------

A/N: 

Oh my... what have I just typed in this chapter? Now that I read back, I kind of felt it , but I have tried my best to write a good chapter. Oh well, who knows, maybe I can edit it later or anything. I am not sure yet.

But, anyways... thank you for reading and please do comment. :) New subscribers are always welcome and I have to thank the other subscribers too :D Hope you guys will like this story :D