Chapter 1

Racing for hearts

 

Vroom! Vroom! Vroom! 

Ready! Set! Go!

A loud earpiercing whistle rang through the air. Two impatient engines roared to life and sped down the road once the signal went off. Showers of sand covered the whole area, not missing one spot as it sprinkled down on everything and everyone. Loud cheers and screams could be heard, but dampened a bit by the noise of the engines. Excited spectators jumped up and down, unable to control themselves, as they watched the match coming alive in front of their eyes.

As the two racing cars left the start line, it went as fast as their owners let them be. Not wanting to lose to one another, the owners tried their best to get to the finish line as fast as they could. Adrenaline rushed through their veins and hearts, eager to get what they want.

Win.

It was almost a match between life and death. A match between a black Jaguar and an orange American Mustang.

 

"Let's see what you've got, my friend," Byun Baekhyun said to himself as he swerved the black Jaguar to the left, following the line of the road. He was grinning to himself, already knowing how to beat his opponent.

He was after all, the Speeder, already well known in the race world for quite a while. With his amazing driving slash racing skills, Baekhyun had beaten about ten most famous racers in just a month, earning him the name, Speeder. Who ever dared to challenge him, he accepted friendly and won against fairly.

Spotting the finish line, Baekhyung prepared himself for the last phase of the race and immediately switched his speed. He pressed harder on the accelerator and pushed a green button. The black Jaguar shot forward like a rocket, passing the finish line. Loud cheers mixed with curses could be heard through the whole area.

"Woohoo! You did it! You won again! Congrats!," an excited cry came from behind Baekhyun as he stepped out of his car.

Baekhyun turned around to high-five a young lad, almost as tall as him with high cheekbones. 

"Thanks, Jongdae! Like they always say, never underestimate," Baekhyun grinned. "True," Jongdae nodded.

Baekhyun pulled Jongdae in a bearhug. He was then interrupted by someone calling him. Turning around, he came in face to face with the organizer of the race.

"This is for you!,"

A brown pack was thrown into Baekhyun's opened hands. Baekhyun thanked the other politely before pulling out a bundle of cash. Counting the money, Baekhyun's grin couldn't have gone any wider.

"All here. Jongdae, here... this is for you," Baekhyun said and attempted to put some money in his best friend's hands, who declined immediately.

"No, no, no. You need it more than I do, Baek," Jongdae protested, pushing the money back to Baekhyun. The other had deserved the hard earned money and he wasn't going to accept that, not even if Baekhyun killed him.

"Uhm..., well... in that case. It's my treat then. After all, you've always been there to support me," Baekhyun decided. 

Jongdae nodded. 

And so, the two friends decided to leave the almost deserted area and started on discussing about the next upcoming race. Even though they weren't sure if it's a legal race, Baekhyun didn't care. He needed to race and win the money. He needed the money badly. Jongdae had tried to offer help, but Baekhyun was too stubborn to accept and only accepted, when in his eyes he thought it wouldn't do much harm to Jongdae.

 

Meanwhile, on another side of the busy city, a similar street race was taking place at the same time too. Screaming fans and or spectators could be seen, filling the whole area.

"Yo, Park.. you're next," the organizer announced to a tall lad who was standing a little bit off from the crowd, observing every possible racer who was going to take part in the race of the day.

 

Park Chanyeol, a well known, respected and appointed as the next heir to the Park Car Holding, was enjoying the matches taken place at the moment. He, who barely reached the age of 24, had already built up quite some knowledge about cars. If ever someone wanted to buy a car, he'd always manage to convince the customer to buy the right car and if ever customers had doubts about whether or not to buy which car, he'd always manage to whisk doubt away and made sure the customer buys one without regretting in long terms.

He didn't remember when his love for cars started, but he was sure he practically grew up in between them. His dad used to take him along to look at possibly new cars his dad was going to buy or just for the sake of looking which new models there were in the market. When his dad took him to a race one time, his passion only just started. And when he took part in one of his first race, his passion only heightened. He fell in love with it right away. Just like his dad, who loved racing, he started loving racing too. And even though his dad wasn't there anymore, Chanyeol's love for racing never disappeared. It only fueled him more to carry on his father's dreams. To be the best racer in the world.

 

So, once again, Park Chanyeol was found in his black Lamborghini, ready to take it up against one of the opponents. When the sound of the whistle rang through the air, Chanyeol stepped onto the accelerator, speeding off.

He grinned happily as he glanced at his rear view mirror. His opponent was close, but he was a step ahead, thus having the upperhand for the moment. Chanyeol could feel his heart race together with him. The wind was slapping on his face and his hair was flying everywhere. He didn't care, it felt nice. He felt happy and most of all... free. He felt free from everything. Free from his thoughts, worries, responsibilities. It was the only one world where everything was carefree. It was...

His world, as he had dubbed.

Park Chanyeol was never one to sit quiet on a chair, behind a desk. Even though he was the next boss, he still didn't like to be stuck up in a tight suit, walking with a luggage and tied to his office. Getting his hands dirty and always zipping through the wind, was what he had always liked. It was soothing. Feeling the wind caressing his face made him forget everything he didn't want to remember. It made him forget the pain and loneliness.

 

Hearing his cellphone go off, Chanyeol pressed a button on his bluetooth earpiece.

"Park Chanyeol here," he answered, his eyes never leaving the road nor his opponent.

"Chanyeol...," a deep voice came throughout the earpiece, greeting him.

"Oh, hey Kris... how are you?," Chanyeol said happily as he turned the car to the left, switching his speed to the next level.

"You still racing? I can hear the wind,"

"Ahahaha... Yeah I am. What's up?," Chanyeol asked. He felt adrenaline rushed through his veins as he neared the finish line.

"You up for a vacation?," Kris asked.

Hearing an invitation through the words, Chanyeol got more excited.

"Sure. When? Where?,"

"Tomorrow, 7 sharp. Private Island," was all Kris summed up, but Chanyeol knew what the other meant.

Chanyeol pressed a red button and his car soared to life as the engine was powered up even more and the last metres were passed successfully.

"Ok! Sure thing! Aah! Woohoo! Yes! Won again! Victory for me baby!," Chanyeol cried out happily. He heard a low chuckle.

"Congrats. See you tomorrow," Kris said.

"Ok, thanks. See ya,"

 

Chanyeol grinned, still happy with his nth win. He slowly brought his Lamborghini to a stop and killed the engines. He stepped out of the car and was welcomed by showers of congratulations and hugs and or handshakes. When everyone dispersed, Chanyeol decided to head home with his new trophy.

Once he stepped inside his mansion, he was greeted politely by a couple of maids and a butler.

"Young master P-," his butler was about to say something, but was interrupted by another deep voice.

"Mr. Kim, you can leave," was the order and the butler did as told.

Chanyeol's eyes widened in surprise. He hadn't expected his grandpa to turn up out of the blue. What was his grandpa doing here? When did his grandpa come back from his business trip to Europe? He hadn't expected his grandpa to be back so soon. The old man had said that he'd be away for a month or so. And it has been barely three weeks since his grandpa had left Korea.

 

"Another win?," grandpa Park nodded to the trophy in Chanyeol's hand with a not so amused look.

"Yes, grandpa. I won again!," Chanyeol grinned happily waving the trophy to his grandpa. He, then hopped over to give his grandpa a hug.

"So... what brings grandpa here?," Chanyeol asked.

"Are you implying that I am not welcome here?," his grandpa raised a almost white/grey eyebrow at him.

"Ah? No! I didn't say that! Grandpa, don't be like that!," Chanyeol protested waving his hands quickly before giving a pout.

"Have you eaten, my child?," grandpa Park asked amused at his grandchild's behaviour. He knew what button to press to make his grandchild feel at least a bit guilty.

"Not yet. Does grandpa want to join me then?," Chanyeol asked. 

His grandpa gave a nod and so the two made their ways to the living-room. Chanyeol signalled for a maid to order their food before he settled down next to his grandfather. But not after he'd put away his prized possession in a glass cabinet. The whole left wall was decorated with trophies and medals Chanyeol had won over the years and of course there were also trophies of his late father's win. Chanyeol smile at his collection. He was proud of himself and happy of course.

 

"Are you going to keep that stupid and idiotic grin on your face and ignore your grandfather or are you finally going to wipe that look off your face and acknowledge me?," grandpa Park's voice broke Chanyeol's trains of thoughts.

"Ahaha... sorry gramps," Chanyeol apologized sheepishly while rubbing the back of his head. "Grandpa, what would you like to have? Tea? Coffee? Anything?," Chanyeol quickly ordered a maid to bring a tea for both him and his grandpa. He never noticed the sad gaze of his old man directed to him.

"And bring cookies!," Chanyeol called out before he finally turned to look at his grandpa, giving his full attention to the eldery.

 

"So... how is grandpa doing?," Chanyeol started with a smile.

"Still firm and sturdy. Nothing can defeat this Park," his grandpa nodded firmly.

Chanyeol chuckled. He had always admired his grandpa. No matter what, his grandpa knew how to fight and defend himself and the companies he had built up through all those years. His grandpa was a really strong man who everyone feared and loved at the same time. His grandpa knew how to handle difficulties and always knew what to do, even in the worst states.

"How are the sales going, my child?," grandpa Park asked.

"Oh... great. Sales are going great. I have the files here and all the reports of the last month," Chanyeol reported as he got up and went to one of the file cabinets and took out a yellow folder. He showed the neatly stacked of papers to his grandpa, giving a small summary of everything that was typed in the respected area.

Their talk went on for another half hour before food was ready and Chanyeol brought his grandpa to the dinner table. Food was served by the maids and then they were once again, left alone.

"Let's eat grandpa," Chanyeol announced.

He didn't wait for an answer as he started digging in his food. It was delicious! He had been at the race since 9 in the morning and totally forgot to eat his breakfast. He was so into the race, he totally forgot he had to eat. And now with the food in front of him, he realized how hungry he actually was.

"Chanyeol ah... when are you going to stop racing?," grandpa Park suddenly asked.

Chanyeol paused his eating. Heaving a sigh he wondered when his grandpa was going to stop ask that same question over and over again. It was getting annoying by the minute. And if his grandpa didn't stop asking he was afraid he might go crazy one day.

"I don't know gramps... maybe never?," Chanyeol sighed.

"What?! Young man, you do know that you're going to be my next heir to the car holding, right? You have to start take up some responsibilities of your own. I can't have you run around and race till god knows when," grandpa Park almost shouted.

"Grandpa, I love racing! You can't do anything about that! Why are you so keen on letting me stop my passion? You've always controlled my life since I was young! Can't I even hold on to something I like?," Chanyeol was slowly getting angry at his grandpa, even though he knew the other meant something good for him.

"I just want you to be save," grandpa Park said firmly. "I shouldn't have let your father teach you this stupid thing they call car racing!,"

"It's a passion grandpa. Dad loved it! And I love it too," Chanyeol said calmly.

"And it led to his death!," grandpa Park shouted angrily. The fight was starting to slowly get out of hand and Chanyeol hated it.

They always had this discussion and it was getting worse everytime the topic was brought up by his grandpa. If only his grandma was here to make his grandpa stop talking, then Chanyeol wouldn't have to continue this stupid discussion.

"I want you to stop with this racing immediately!," grandpa Park demanded, pushing his chair back as he stood up, glaring at Chanyeol.

"No, I won't and you can't demand that," Chanyeol growled out, getting up as well, not leaving his eyes from his grandpa.

"Of course I can. When are you going to stop this immature act of yours and settle down? Take a wife, a partner, someone who you can share your life with,"

"No, grandpa... I won't. I like being by myself. I like my freedom and no one can take that away from me. I am a busy man too," Chanyeol snorted.

"Busy man, my ! Your grandma will be heartbroken when she sees you all withered away, lonely and wifeless," grandpa Park said.

"I am sorry to disappoint you, gramps. I can't. I don't want to tie a knot with anyone. I can do other things for you, but not this, grandpa," Chanyeol explained desperately.

"I don't want you in any danger. Don't you understand that?," grandpa Park almost shouted, jabbing a finger on the dinner table.

"I understand. But this is my life, grandpa. I've chosen to live my life like this and there's nothing you can do about it," Chanyeol started to jab a finger angrily on the table too, mirroring his grandpa's acts with every word that was coming out of his mouth.

For a moment, both young and old Park were having a glaring contest, one finger on the dinner table and the other poised next to the hip. If anyone could have seen such a moment, they surely could see they were family. They almost looked alike except for their age.

"Look, let's stop this discussion and have our meal and forget everything, ok?," Chanyeol was the first to break the spell, taking a step back and took his respected seat again.

"No. You promise me this instant that you are going to take a partner and stop racing," grandpa Park demanded, once again jabbing his finger on the table.

"No! And you can't make me!," Chanyeol shouted back, getting up again and copied his grandpa's actions.

They were both mirroring each other, their noses almost touching due to their closeness. 

One, two minutes passed.

 

"Fine. You want it to have the hard way. I can go with that then. Let's have it the hard way then,"

Grandpa Park broke eye contact and settled down on his chair and started on his food, as if nothing had happened a few minutes ago. Chanyeol blinked at his grandpa. What had just happened? Just like that? Chanyeol frowned. Why all of the sudden the change of reaction? He knew his grandpa well enough to never back down from a discussion. The infamous Park was well known of his ways to get things done his way and all in favour of him. But why the sudden... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------

A/N:

Ooh... I am finally finished typing this chapter. Please don't mind any typos. I am currenly too tired to check the chapter for any mistakes. Maybe I will edit later or anything.

Ok, hope you guys will enjoy this story too. Uhm, please comments and new subscribers are welcome :) The next chapter will be next week, I hope. Thank you for reading :D