十三 - Thirteen

Merdeka

“Uhh … Auntie,” Alana paused, still unsure on how to address Luhan’s mother. Mrs Lu looked up from her plate and gave Alana a gentle smile. “Can I borrow Luhan for a while?” She questions. Hearing this, Luhan’s head too, left his plate. Eyes wide like a saucers’, he stares at her and mutters a “why” with his mouth full.

“Luhan!” Mrs Lu scolds him for his impolite manners on the table. “Sorry mama.” He swallows down the chunk of food by drinking a glass of water and scratched his head after. Mrs Lu turns her attention back to Alana and said, “Yes of course Alana, but do send him back before lunch time if that is possible.”

“Oh, that won’t be a problem auntie, I just need him for a moment.” Alana smiles back at her. Placing down her utensils onto the table, Alana looks at the dazed Luhan and says, “Shall we?” Hurriedly, Luhan stands up from his chair and clumsily took hold of Alana’s hand and drags her out of the huge dining hall. “Have fun kids!” From a distance, Mrs Lu’s voice can be heard.

“Mind your steps.” Luhan reminded Alana while she walks down the stairs to reach the car by the porch, her hands still firm in Luhan’s hold. She was wearing one of Mrs Lu’s white dresses and she did not mind the fact that the said white dress reached below her knees only. She was used to wearing skirts after all. Alana only hums in reply.

Behaving exactly like a gentleman, Luhan opens the limousine’s door for her and she utters a thank you as a sign of gratitude. He follows in after and tells the driver Alana’s address. Fiddling with his fingers, Luhan asks, “So … What do you need me for?” Diverting her attention from the window, Alana turns towards him and unconsciously stares into his eyes.

“Alana?” He asks once more when he realises of the silence.

“I would like you to meet someone.” She gulps nervously.

Luhan nods in understanding and kept quite the whole ride after that, though Alana did not miss the sharp look he had towards the surroundings outside the limousine’s windows, probably looking for any signs of the Japanese soldiers.

When they arrived at the palace’s front gate, Luhan rolls down his side of the window and as soon as the guard confirms that it was the crown princess in the limo, the gate draws open for them. “Luhan.” Alana inquires when the vehicle came to a stop. “Yes?” Luhan looks back at her as he steps a foot onto the solid ground outside.

“What is going to happen to us?” She questions, worry clear in her voice. “I really don’t know Alana.” He looks down, ashamed of his answer.

A soft laugh escapes her lips. “Forget about it Luhan, let’s go in.”

___________

“Crown princess!” Jiho’s shriek echoed throughout the palace. Alana squints her eyes and utters, “God, Ji, you’re so noisy.” Jiho flashes her a toothy smile but his eyes turned alarmed upon seeing the figure behind her. “Who is this, Alana?” Jiho’s voice was coated with a grim-dripping tone, and if looks could kill, maybe, just maybe, Luhan would have been dead.

“Oh Ji, this is Luhan. Luhan, this is my trust-worthy assistant, Jiho.” She introduced the two men to each other. “And Ji, drop the cold act, I want to bring him to Is.” Alana shook her head and smiled when she sees Jiho being protective over her.

Jiho’s eyes turns wide. “T-The crown prince?”

Luhan’s eyes didn’t show a different story either. “Alana …” His gentle voice purred.

Alana rose a hand up to stop both parties. “That is enough. Jiho, keep an eye on the entrance and tell me immediately when the King and Queen arrives. Something happened last night and I shall speak to you further about it later.” “And what is that, that happened last night?” Jiho did not hesitate to question. She kept quiet. So instead, Luhan answered for her.

“The Japanese …” He utters, softly.

The blonde man’s eyes widens again. “T-They are here already?!”

Luhan places a reassuring hand onto Alana’s back. “And they did something horrid to her.” He explains, and checks up on Alana to see if she was still affected by last night’s incident. All the petite lady did was lower her head in shame. “Did what?” Jiho’s voice turned out to be much scarier than he intended.

“Molested …” Luhan whispers for the final time and that was what it takes to make Alana nuzzle her nose against his neck and whimper. Luhan rests his chin on top of her head and held her tight and securely, in his arms.

Jiho bit his lips. “That is enough for now. Your wish is my command, princess. You may head to the fourth floor now.” Yes, Jiho felt remorseful for not being able to be with Alana when she most needed him. And those bastards Japanese men …

The couple left for the fourth floor and by then, Alana had recovered from her minor sadness. Hands still in Luhan’s, she drags him across the white tile to a white double door, decorated lightly with gold lines. She holds the doorknob and looks back at Luhan to say, “This is it. Be nice to him, okay?”

Luhan nods.

And so, she pushes the door open to reveal a white room glittered with gold and a boy lying restlessly on the white, king sized bed with wires tugged onto him from every corner of his body. Luhan stares at the boy in awe. He was so good-looking, that he immediately knew that this would be Alana’s brother even if she had not introduced him to Luhan.

His chest was moving up and down vaguely that you won’t even realise of it if you had not been observant. “His name is Iskandar but we all call him Is. Turning 22 this December and is supposed to take over the throne but …” Her voice trails off.

Luhan looks at her for a moment, anticipating for an answer.

“He never showed and signs of progress.”

Luhan’s heart fell upon hearing this. How does it even feels like to have a bed-ridden sibling, waking up every day, hoping, wishing, and praying for him to wake up? This feeling was something that Luhan had never felt before, because well, he was the only son, ---after all.

“He tried saving my mother when he got shot, and my mother,” Alana pauses and sighs.

She continues telling, “My mother died on the scene. This incident happened on my 4th birthday and when Is was only 7.”

“We tried everything. We brought him to the deepest depth in the world and no one seemed to be able to cure him. From India to England, America and back to China. No one …” Seeing her in so much pain hurt Luhan so much so he told her to stop. He was curious though, but if it only hurts Alana then he does not want to know anything further. He would just let time tell.

They spent a few moments staring at the figure on the bed until a knock was heard on the door. “Take care of him.” Alana whispers before disappearing behind the door. Luhan stares at this boy named Iskandar. Why won’t he wake up? He asks himself. “Hyung,” He surprises himself when he uses that formality on the crown prince.

Luhan shakes that thought off and continues, “Hyung, you’re causing Alana a lot of pain, wake up please.” He stops for a while and watches Is breathe in and out, calmly. Then, he said it, “Hyung, I love her. I love her so, so much, and seeing her in pain hurts me too. So please fight this thing, this thing you’re having and wake up. Fight for her, fight for the King, wake up soon, hyung.” Trickles of tears fell from the corner of Luhan’s eyes but he immediately wipes them off when he hears the door opening.

Quick footsteps welcomed him and he turns around to see a worried-looking Alana. “Luhan, you must leave now. My parents are here. I am terribly sorry but, I will make it up tomorrow okay?” Alana informs. Luhan nodded multiple times, and rushed out of the room and down the elevator with her.

“Come here tomorrow, and I will formally introduce you to his Highness.” Alana says, suddenly. Luhan his lips. “The King?” He whispers to himself. “Please …?” Alana tugs onto the hem of his shirt and pouts. “W-Where did you learn to do that?” Luhan stutters, wanting to pinch her cheeks right then and there.

“Oh, a friend of mine thought me…” Alana then smiles while her mind drifted towards her newly found friends, EXO-K. Luhan sighs in defeat and says, “Alright, alright. Meet you at your school?” Alana nodded enthusiastically. “Yes, please!” When the elevator dings open, Luhan bent down to place a chaste kiss onto Alana’s forehead, and then trots off the palace, like he had never came in the first place.

Alana places her hand onto the spot where Luhan had planted his kiss and bit her lips to prevent a smile, but a certain person named Woo Jiho caught that.

So he is the reason for her smiles.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry that i took such a long time for a chapter. Ok wow i can't believe 3 months has passed and well, a lot of s happened. But anyways, here's a short chapter and i can promise you that the next one will be loooooong. Stay safe ok?

xoxo, Tuna.