Chapter 15 - Connected by Fate?

Screw This Thing Called Love

Changmin trudges through the darkened neighborhood without a thought in his mind; the pitch black surroundings mirroring that of what he feels at the moment. He notices the large figure plopped messily at the footsteps of his front door.

"Kyuhyun?"

"AWFEDFFESEET"

Everything that escapes the young man's mouth is that of rubbish, nothing that is comprehendible to the human kind. He carries the guy over into his house and shoves his drunken "twin" onto the oversized couch that sits in the centre of his living room. Staring at Kyuhyun blankly, he wonders what exactly happened. But on the second thought, something inside of him wants nothing to do with his issues. Changmin throws a caramel colored wool blanket onto his friend who instantly cuddles into it by the sudden touch of softness upon his skin. Kyuhyun's eyes pop open for a single second, a slight shine escaping from his pupils...and with that, he clearly states:

"Changmin, my chingu, today I met an angel. She came down and swept me off my feet, carrying me all the way to your place. Her skin is as soft as marshmallows and a scent as decadent as the finest sweets. I think I found the one..."

Changmin stands before him wide eyed and astounded by the strange confession.

 

'I think I found the one...'

That line causes him to drift off thinking about Sooyoung once more. It is today in which she occupied his every memory space. More than once as a teen did he proclaim that the simple Choi girl was the only one for him. As years separated them for the longest time, growing into young adults, he believed that such a thing erased itself, but today he found otherwise.

Choi Sooyoung is the only one for him.

The only one he wanted and he was determined to correct what was wrong.

Love isn't something so easily thrown away and forgotten. He believed somewhere deep down inside, she knew it too.

---------------------

 

Sooyoung hands the little bit of money she has left over to the taxi driver, dumping every single bit of coin that once sat happily inside her wallet. Never once did she imagine that the night of what was suppose to be a get together with her fellow trainees would turn out the way it did. A rendezvous of scandalous behavior in the back alley with someone who she was suppose to forget, someone who she switched off her feelings for.

But it felt good, felt almost right during that moment. Blissful as if it was against the law.

 

Furthermore, meeting another man seconds later she entered back into the club. He was handsome as well from head to toe...with the possibility of being slightly more appealing than that of Shim Changmin. But no matter what, no one in the world, and she meant it, not one....would ever beat out Changmin's one of a kind hairstyle.

There's a slight thought at the back of her mind that wonders if he wasn't so knocked out, if maybe he'd be an interesting catch, that nameless drunken stranger…not exactly for her boyfriend material, but just generally speaking.

 

As she walks down the cold pavement that hugs the cool night, she clumsily trips over something that marks its territory randomly upon the sidewalk just steps away from her dorm. As fumes of annoyance escape through her ears, Sooyoung stretches her long slender legs--getting ready to kick the hell out of whatever thing dares to get in her way. But as she does so, she realizes that it's not a 'thing', but rather a 'someone'.

The man pulls off his black hat that lies snugly atop his head, covering his face. Rubs the side of his shin where the tall girl had previously tripped over as the pain on his end is much worst. By this time, Sooyoung would have pounded the fellow to measly pieces until he resembled that of nicely ground beef, but she recognized right away that the sleepy guy wasn't no ordinary creeper.

He had a name, a name she knew very well...Micky Yoochun.

 

"Micky?"

He smiles that child like smile of his that instantly makes everything seem fine and dandy...at least for a few seconds.

"Waeyo? Why are you here?"

Her lost expression mixed with that of worry enlightens him, making the painful flight from Jeju all the while a little bit worth while.

"Summer, you sounded odd on the phone. I didn't understand whether or not you were alive, dying, being harassed, or if someone was robbing your beloved food...all subjects that are equally scary and relevant."

She squints at him for a moment, trying to recall what on earth he was talking about. That's when it hits her --the embarrassing moment she never wanted to relive ever again.

"Neh, I'm fine though...just bad connection I guess. How did you-"

"You once told me that you were living at a hostel near some mustard colored building...I plainly guessed. Well actually, my feet gave out on me right about here...so I was kind of hoping this is where you'd be. Aren't I lucky? Now if only my lucky ever helped me win the lottery..."

His sense of positive outlook on life was always amusing to the tall girl. No matter what, it seemed like he was forever living on cloud nine, a place of happiness and only happiness. No wonder why his name was Micky. Just like the Disney character, he too always brought out smiles.

 

A crisp blow of the midnight air kisses upon their faces, sending shivers down their spines. Bringing Sooyoung to ask a question which the answer burned through her curiosity.

"So...Micky, where exactly are you staying?"

"Bwola..no idea…never quite thought that through."

She let out a simple giggle. It was typical of Micky to never think ahead. She saw from his sudden pouted face that he was running low on the green goods and she wasn't quite rolling in money either. That's when the girl thought of a brilliant idea...well at least at that moment, it sounded like a one of a kind plan.

"You want to live with me?"

"Bwoh? Michyossoyo? (are you crazy?)"

"I have a roommate, who sleeps like a rock. Even though, she'd still freak about living with a male so we're going to have to play detectives and sneak around with it. You're not gonna be able to lie around just anywhere in the dorm, but you can easily fit in my closet. It's no five star penthouse in a hotel, but I can guarantee you that it's a good few Celsius warmer than out here. You can live quietly there until we figure something out."

Although his childhood friend's proposal was ridiculous in more ways than one, Micky had no choice as the four walls and a floor sounded like music to his ears.

"Arasso. But just how small is the space?"

"Let's just say that you'll be squished like a jar of sardines. Doesn't that just sound lovely Micky?"

--------------------

 

He tosses and turns inside his bed which on normal days made him sleep soundly like a newborn once his head hit the pillows. Oddly today, the majestical touch of feathery softness did absolutely nothing. He was wide awake as if someone slapped him with a live stinky large fish.

The reason? A tall girl known as Choi Sooyoung.

 

Questions pounded inside his head as it did the same with his heart.

What if they never broke up? What if they mutually decided to get back together? What if a happily ever after awaited them in the future?

....but then at the end of the millions of questions that possessed that glimmer of hope came the dreaded one that would always creep up, What if they weren't meant to be?

 

Throughout the twenty or so years that Shim Changmin breathed, there was one thing that he laughed upon and that was something called fate. Such a word that seemed to hold much meaning was something that honestly scared him like no other. But that night, for some reason he wanted to test this thing that many so often found themselves hung up in.

Anxiously grabbing his cell phone that rested nicely upon his bed side, he punched in random numbers here and there with his index finger. As the sound of dialing reached his ear, his fingertips trembled and the only thought within his head buried underneath all the volumous hair was:

if Sooyoung is indeed my fate, than she would be on the other end...

--------------------

 

"Go ahead and make yourself comfortable. Knowing you, you'd probably be dying to wash up right now huh? The washroom is to your right at the end of the hall and the bedroom is adjacent to it. I already checked and my roommate is already dead asleep so there's no need to tippy toe really...”

 

As Yoochun walked on over to the washroom, Sooyoung went the polar opposite. Her mind was shattered into millions of pieces, as it tried desperately to grasp every little detail of what on all the ery life was throwing at her bit by bit. She ran out to the edge of her dorm’s balcony hoping that some fresh air would do some kind of brilliant surgery to put her head back on straight, back to when she understood it all.

 

As Yoochun drenched his milky white body with the refreshing moist cool water from the shower, he came across one big dilemma…what soap to use. Left and right, the guy was surrounded with female products: ‘vanilla scented shampoo and conditioner’, ‘lavender scented moisturizing body wash with bursting studs’. Without knowing the difference between the numerous fancy long and short bottles placed neatly along the shower rack, he grabs one randomly, as the text font appealed to him from the rest. Rubbing it aggressively along his hair he quickly washes himself clean from head to toe before exiting the bathroom.

Slowly but surely he cracks open the door to the bedroom. A small flicker of pink light glistens from the inside table lamp neatly placed in between two twin sized beds. On the far end he catches a glimpse of Sooyoung’s roommate in the form of a lump hidden completely underneath pink bed sheets. Yoochun releases a breath of relief at the sleeping individual, as he had forgotten to grab his change of clothes that Sooyoung had somehow prepared for him beforehand ---the idea of where the hell the girl had a spare set of men’s clothing didn’t once cross his mind. Topless with just the medium sized white towel wrapped snugly at his waist, he walks on over to the closet which had now adopted the name of his new room.

 

There was one thing that Sooyoung didn’t know about her dear roommate as her frequent warnings spared her from finding out. Indeed the girl slept as if she was hibernating until spring comes along, but the instant her favorite vanilla scented shampoo is smelt, her eyes will open faster than a shooting star.

The blonde haired Barbie doll was THIS close from throwing a fit, but the instant she raises her sheets a millimeter above her head, her eyes fixate themselves upon a chiseled chest, screaming for the touch of any woman alive. Jessica wraps her blanket closely around her entire self with just a mere opening for her eyes to watch the drool worthy silhouette walking.   now watery, she takes a small gulp not once moving her eyes away from the mysterious stranger that had set foot inside the room.

Strangely enough she doesn’t give a damn that she had never seen the guy, as one thing was for sure: he was seemingly delicious to the eye. Just when he was approximately three steps away from the perfect view possible for the peeping Jessica, an unknown ring tune erupts somewhere nearby, bursting the smoldering music that played in the back of her imagination.   

The half glorious man walks away following the sound, slipping away from her eyesight…much to her disapproval. Within seconds he is gone…and within a few minutes Jessica falls back into the slumber of a good night’s sleep; the next morning holding all the likelihood of her forgetting everything she had just laid eyes on.

 

Anyohaseyo?”

Yoochun whispers into his phone. The time is gliding onto the wee hours of the late turn early mornings. It was to say the least, plain odd for a phone call at the ungodly time.

“I guess it’s not fate…should have known better.”

The voice on the other end sounds defeated as if crushed like shards of glass. But the overbearing sadness is cut short as within seconds Yoochun is left talking to a dead end.

 

Must not have been important…

He hangs up the phone and flicks his hair to the side as the little drops of water fall effortlessly down to the hardwood flooring. Sooyoung rushes into the scene seconds late.

“Ya! Although my roommate Jess is deaf to that ring tune, I do have neighbors who are light sleepers! Micky…put it on vibrate okay?”

“Ne. Arasso.”

“Who was it?”

“No idea. I’ll be all settled in a bit, aren’t you a bit tired Summer?”

“I’m fine. I just need a bit more fresh air. You go sleep first.”

--------------------

 

She leans her body lightly against the iron railings of her balcony as the moon catchers her attention in an instant. Staring at the luminous figure up above blatantly, she looks at it as for some reason she feels connected to it. She stays there for countless hours before drooping down into a ball, falling asleep by the oddly soothing yet empty night.

 

He hangs the phone up in despair.

The tiny lingering hope that lived deep down inside him now sounded like a joke…and he was the fool. He turns to the side facing the floor length window. Today, the curtains are open…a rare feat almost nonexistent. Among the twinkling of various stars, the moon catches his eye. Shining up above him, the half moon looks empty --a connection of mutual feeling that he understands too well as he lies there motionless. He stares at the luminous figure for countless hours before sleep finally rescues him.

 

 

========================

A/N: Long time no see ppl! As you've probably seen, I haven't updated lately. Plain and simple reason: the desire to write seems to be slowly diminishing... with school and everything back, it's kinda hectic as it is. Plus the inspiration to continue with all these FF is slightly meh...if you get what I mean. I'll try my best to continue on.... ^^