Chapter 13 - STOP

Screw This Thing Called Love

"She's here."

"Bwoh?"

"She's somewhere here."

Changmin began to shuffle his feet towards the area that Sooyoung should be near according to the picture. He doesn't know why the he's going there, but his feet continuously wants to head to that direction.

"Wait what? Are you sure you're alright? Who's here?" Kyuhyun grabbed his friend by the shoulder, bringing him to a stop.

"Let go." He replied sternly.

--------------------------------------------

 

Changmin pushed his way through the crowds of people with smiles plastered along their faces. That very little fact angered his every nerve inside him even more. Everyone that surrounded him seemed to be happy, while he himself was nothing but frustrated. He became dizzy without even touching a single drop of alcohol.

 

Where are you? Why are you hiding?

 

He ran his fingers through the limp slight curls in his hair when it struck him like lightening. He pulled his iPod out from his pocket and kissed it, relieving the stress that was once inside of him and began to make his way to the DJ booth.

==================

FLASHBACK

 

“Hey twin!!! Why the bloody hell are you taking so damn long?”

Kyuhyun sticks his head into his friend’s house, or as  Kyu likes to refer it as, the bachelor pad. A sanctuary for men, a place to let their manliness overflow…burp, fart, walk , it was heaven on earth for any single man---a man's place of their own.

He catches Changmin stuffing an iPod into his pant pocket and automatically questions him as if the poor guy had crossed the line of sanity.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Dude, when the hell did you get here?”

 

“Just now…your door is unlocked. You should probably start locking your door man. Just imagine if I was some kind of serial killer….your would be dead right now and I would most likely be stealing your as well, which includes that iPod your trying to shove in your pocket. You're lucky man that I aint like that.”

 

“Yeah, because that right there didn’t sound one bit suspicious.”

 

“Oh c’mon man you know you’re like my brother to me already, which leads me to tell you when to do and not to do something. It’s only my obligation. Take scenario number one…right now, just why the are you bringing your iPod?”

 

Changmin stares at the kid in front of him. The guy was obviously a stranger, a new acquaintance or friend at the most, but brother? Wasn’t the guy over exaggerating? Changmin did admit that they somewhat resembled each other in a way or two, considering the fact that they liked and disliked almost the exact same things.

 

“Uhhh…music?”

 

“You do realize they have music at the club right?” Kyuhyun grabs the device back from the innocent ‘brother’ of his and places it down onto the hallway table while he turns back towards the door.

 “Tsk tsk, what would you do without me…” He whistles as he exits.

 

He did have a point, Changmin thought. It just seemed weird not to bring the iPod for some reason, a feeling as if walking around in a pair of jeans without any underwear on…simply odd.

Standing there speechless, Changmin decided at the last moment to shove the electronic back into his pocket just in case he’d need it later on. The idea of that seemed ridiculous…him NEEDING his iPod? All the while it just made sense in his mind to carry it around that night….after all, what harm could it bring anyway?

====================

 

“Play this. Track number 47.”

“Who the are you? How the hell did you even get up here?”

The DJ stared in confusion at the panting kid standing before him.

 

“Please. Just play it!”

“Hey, this isn’t some kind of house party where you can request a song. I’m a professional DJ, they pay me for my services. Sorry man, but I think it’s time for you to lay off the drinks and call it a night.”

 

“I’m not ing drunk! Please…just please play it.”

Changmin slaps down 300 000 won onto the turn table.

“Just one song.”

 

The song bursts out from the speakers. The tune being a familiar calling is strangely calming to him at that very moment like the feeling of moist tiny drops of mist falling gently onto one’s skin on a hot summer day.

It has been long since the last time he gathered enough courage to play that particular track, yet he still remembers how many minutes, seconds it lasted…every single word in the lyrics, every little beat in the song…memorizing it fully like it held the importance of that of his very own name.

It was after all, a song that once meant a lot to him and her.

 

Slowly, Changmin watched the crowd part ways until it left a little gap singling out a slender tall figure standing there slightly positioned in the middle with the bright spotlight illuminating at her.

“Sooyoung…”

He walked down the booth stairs with heavy footsteps towards her. The walls closed down on him and all that aligned his vision was her. He swears that everything moved in slow motion in his mind; when in fact everyone around them lost interest in their little display shortly after.

 

He sees her half up-do hair and wonders how badly she likely wants to throw away that clip. He knows very well that she hates those hairstyles.

‘It’s either wear it all up or all down. What’s the point in having something that’s half and half?

He imagined her whiny voice saying those exact words.

 

He sees her outfit…lace top and trousers.

Nothing too out of her element, but he knows that it must have been annoying for her to change what probably was initially jeans and a simple top. She was one of the very few people out there that filled out jeans better than no other with her long pair of legs. Strangely, he was relieved that she wasn’t wearing something close to the short skirts or mini dresses that 95% of the females had on in the club.

Afterall, that one time back at the high school reunion with her mini black dress was just about enough of a shock than he could handle.

 

Bringing his eyes down brought him to the next amusing thing: Choi Sooyoung was wearing stilettos.

Someone must have lost an eye or two in order to convince this girl to wear those things. If not, then she must have gotten free food of some sort, something that she’s been craving these days.

 

What surprised him the most was the mere fact that she was wearing make-up.

The Sooyoung he knew never bothered herself with such things. Although it was just a touch up of foundation here and there with a tint of blush and thin layer of eyeliner, it was one too much for Sooyoung who he knew wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between an eyeliner pencil and a pencil crayon.

 

Standing there now just inches away from him, Changmin knew that it was indeed Choi Sooyoung, but oddly it was slightly different.

He knew that this wasn’t really who she was…that this dress up game didn’t match the simple girl that blew his mind back when they were teenagers.

But then again, the Sooyoung he once knew was someone from countless years ago.

 

Their eyes locked onto each others, both getting lost into a place that was supposed to be forgotten, but the heart is much more stubborn than the mind…it won’t let go of things as precious that easily.

 

“What are you- what do you want from me?”

Her eyes glisten from the mixture of the light directly hitting them and the slight tears that are developing in her lids. Her fingertips play with the loosened lace strand that she has been picking at for the last few seconds.

 

“Come with me.”

He simply answers her and begins dragging her away to the back exit.

 

Grabbing tightly onto her wrist, he notices that it’s a tad bit thinner than it used to be.

He can’t help but wonder if she’s eating alright.

He can’t help but worry if she has fallen victim to those girls that has given into peer pressure and are now dieting, even though their figure is nothing less than perfect as it is.

 

Changmin draws his head back a centimetre or two, just enough to peer over his shoulder and look at her face for a brief second.

‘Have you been living well since we’ve been apart?’

 

The feeling of his hand around her wrist is like déjà vu.

Sooyoung doesn’t know whether to smile or slap him away as her emotions run in circles throughout her mind and body. His touch is warmer than she expected, not the icy cold touch of death that she convinced was what he was now made of. Instead, it was like how it was back then.

A feeling that was better than anything in the world, when they were both connected…nothing else would compare.

 

She looked at the back of his head. The slight curls in his hair bouncing softly with every swift footstep they took. A small smile curled up from her lips, one that she just couldn’t hold back. He still kept that ridiculous hairstyle after all these years.

Fluffy, slightly afro-ish, messy little twig-wheat like hair. It was still the same.

 

They both ran off towards the back door with reasons unknown.

Pushing the heavy door open, they stand outside the empty small alleyway with just a broken side streetlamp flickering on and off above their heads.

 

Sooyoung squirms her arm out of his after realizing silent minutes later that he’s still holding onto her. The sudden break from each other leaves a cold little rush falling over them as they coincidentally look at each other from the odd sensation.

 

“T-T-The song…you still have it…”

Sooyoung takes the initiative to break off the awkwardness that’s developing in the quiet night air.

 

“Ne…”

He doesn't know what to say to her.

Tell her that even though he never quite played the song since then, he never decided to delete it either?

 

“Uhhh…do you have something to say to me?”

Her words slightly sent an odd poking sensation. A small pinch to something…whatever it was it was definitely not his heart, at least that’s what he convinced himself.

 

“You see…I just wanted to…”

His train of thoughts got lost along the way once he saw the little shivers falling across her bare shoulders. The small body hairs along her arms stick up indicating that the weather wasn't to her liking.

 

“Are you cold?”

 

“Huh? Me? Uh, no…I guess it’s because I’m always used to wearing cotton or something and this lace fabric thing is making me uncomfortable so I’m just all-”

She stops her sentence as she looks up and finds him centimetres away from her face, placing his dress shirt over her. Sooyoung flinches a tad bit as his arms make its way around her.

 

She smells like a field of fresh daisies on a spring day.

He finds him thinking that as he throws his shirt atop of her and tries to warm her up.

 

Sooyoung doesn’t catch his look of concern at her, nor does he find her staring up at him with eyes that once resembled the kindness that she used to give him.

The sweet little abrupt moment of theirs is suddenly interrupted with the burst of laughter running out of Sooyoung’s cheerful mouth.

 

“What the hell is that?!?!”

 

Changmin stops to stare to where she’s pointing at…his undershirt.

“Shut up. I was doing laundry and this was the only clean one left. I can easily take back my shirt and you’ll be left here with your stubborn self freezing your off if you don’t be quiet.”

 

“Harry Potter…ahahahaha you’re still the same dork.”

“Well speak for yourself; you knew all the spells and everything…dressed up with the cloaks and wands…remember that one Halloween when you were all-”

 

Their laughter began to compliment each others rhythmically. As Changmin’s teasing continued, Sooyoung would playfully slap his chest ten times, fifty times, a hundred, until finally it began to sting a tad bit.

 

“Ouwww….stop, that hurts Soo.”

He catches one of her throws.

 

‘Soo’…who gave him the right to call her that again after all these years?

She looked at him while he did the same as they both realized the little slip that just occurred.

 

“You just called me Soo-”

 

He grabs her face and beginns to kiss her.

Astonished by his act, Sooyoung remains wide eyed before giving in. She pulls at his neck bringing him closer to her, as she sprawls into his arms. The flexion of his biceps which were close to non existent back then surprise Sooyoung as she drapes her hands over the new discovery.

Taking her forcefully, Changmin slams her back along the brick wall and slides his hand along her long legs. The touch of the cotton pant instead of the smoothness of her sunkiss skin upsets him with every second as he pulls her up and wraps her around his waist.

 

Her instinct to scream stop and refuse anything else from happening is overlooked from the rush of adrenaline that calls out to her. She begins to pant softly into his ear as his head continues to kiss the long lines down her collarbone.

 

“C-C-Changmin~” She utters out loud briefly; momentarily losing her self pride, forgetting the fact that he means nothing to her…that she doesn’t want anything to do with him anymore.

 

The flickering of the weakened streetlamp would hug the outline of her slender body with every little second it glowed.

 

Holding onto her, kissing all visible sections of her made his every single pore burn with excitement. Gently and with caution, he explored inside with his tongue, a space too scandalous for him to try back then as a juvenile little child he once was during their teenage relationship.

 

She intertwines a pair of their hands while the free one pulls at his frizzy hair of his. He pulls her tugging hand away from his head and slams it against the wall before guiding it towards his chest then downward along the barriers of his abdomen. As she lightly begins to scratch him from the overflowing odd sensation that buzzes throughout her body, he instinctively decides to slowly bring his own hand inside her shirt. The lace fabric grazes his forearm and he holds her by the waist underneath.

Drawing circles along the back of her spine with one hand and another loosening the buttons of her trousers, she lets out another soft grunt that is soon followed by both of their panting.

 

They close it off as they draw close towards each other for the nth time, kissing and caressing each other as if they wanted to memorize every single part of each other forever.

With their lips together, they spirited away from the night and from the very world they live on, flying off to their own sweet escape.

 

Somewhere amidst the recollection of how their lips feel against each others, tears stream down her face.

 

“Baby wait, STOP.”

“Soo, what’s wrong?”

 

Baby & Soo…they don’t catch on the continuous repetition of the slip of the tongue.

 

He automatically stops as he wipes the traces away from her face.

He is reminded that there is absolutely nothing more heartbreaking than the visible sadness that pours out of this very single girl that is pinned against the wall in front of him at the moment.

 

“This isn’t right. I don’t love you. You don’t love me. We don’t love each other. We shouldn’t be doing this...right?”

 

I don’t love you. You don’t love me. We don’t love each other. We shouldn’t be doing this...right?

 

Those words leave a deep impression in their minds, leaving behind an imprint too hard to cover up with false excuses. They neither can accept nor deny the statements at that moment, both realizing that they were more confused than they even knew possible.

 

LOVE.

It was a term too complex for them to understand, as for the longest time they sold their hearts away to a world where something like that would never exist again. Cursing the thoughts of falling back into a life that caused them misery and pain too brutal to live with, they currently lived by the motto “Screw This Thing Called Love.”

 

He drops her legs back down onto the floor and pulls his other hand back down away from the comfortable spot it found behind her soft silky hair that felt like a thousand feathers upon his fingertips.

She straightens herself back up and pulls her shirt down. Rearranging the messy half-do that is now almost completely gone, she scampers off awkwardly back into the club while small droplets of tears can’t stop flowing down from her eyes.

 

He stands there completely frozen, unable to completely grasp the situation that had just occurred.

He is incoherent from everything and anything.

 

Minutes pass by.

Hours pass by.

 

But it is only when the scent of her daisy scented perfume faded away from his mind, that Changmin settles off into the dark night, following the rocky roads that is only illuminated by the soft shine of the crescent moon…leading him away to where he only hopes is a place that will calm this unsettling feeling inside him.

 

===================

A/N: LMAOOOO WTH did I just do here ^ ?!?! ahaha I don't even know really.... NO actual or because yeah, that's qutie uncomfortable for me to write. Honestly, that right there was odd for me to write already...ahaha I don't even know right now~~