Rent-A-Senior

Smultronstället

"What the hell is all of this?!" Youngjae raged as he rifled through several boxes full of nothing but coffee for the mock cafe that one of the junior classrooms were setting up for the festival. It wasn't the coffee that had him pissed, however, but rather the type of coffee. The kind that had funny, hard to pronounce names and oozed how expensive it had been.

"Who ordered all of this?" Youngjae demanded, eyes darting around to all of the juniors.

The juniors all looked around and shrugged, confused as well. The boxes had just arrived, some of the older students had to help move them because there was so many of them. The one who had directed them though, was Daehyun. The juniors were quick to point that out to Youngjae, even giving him the direction in which Daehyun went.

Daehyun squatted behind one of the booths just a few yards away from the cafe. He was currently hiding from the fangirls he'd somehow managed to acquire (unwillingly). It's not that he didn't like attention - he did pranks for a reason - but the girls were brutal; it was like he was a Kpop idol and they were sasaeng fans. It was completely crazy.

Peering over the counter, Daehyun's eyes widened upon seeing the familiar color of the uniform. He glances up to see Youngjae, a frown on his lips and arms crossed over his chest unhappily.

"Uh, hi - what can I do for you?" Daehyun asked, looking around cautiously.

Youngjae's eyes narrowed, frown deepening, "You can start by telling me why the hell there are at least ten boxes of expensive coffee sitting at the cafe." He hissed angrily. He'd been having a relatively good day today and then those boxes had been delivered. 'Hyosung noona is going to kill me for going over budget,' He whined inwardly.

When Daehyun made no move to say anything, Youngjae glared at him, "Tell me all you know now or I swear I'll blow the whistle of your location to your fangirls."

The boy's eyes widened fearfully and he blurted out, "I don't know though!" He stood up in protest before quickly crouching down again, his mind running a million miles a minute as he tried to remember anything that could get Youngjae off his case. "It wasn't me! Um, one of the council members was in charge of it and they gave the reins to Himchan hyung. Try asking him."

Daehyun looked around worriedly, glaring some when Youngjae made no move to leave. "Can you go now? It wasn't me!"

Youngjae tuned the other boy out, his attention now focused on the little factoids Daehyun had given. "Of course it was Himchan - it's always Himchan."  He groaned, hitting himself repeatedly on the forehead with heel of his hand. He walked away from the booth Daehyun was currently hiding behind and in the direction he'd remembered Himchan going when he'd last seen him.

It didn't take him long to find the senior, who was currently helping with the lists for the extra supplies they were going to be needing for the festival's after party. The fact he was actually working like he was supposed to did not affect Yoo Youngjae one tiny bit.

"Kim Himchan...." Youngjae growled, "What the hell is with all of that expensive coffee you ordered for the cafe?"

Himchan turned away from where he was writing down something and gave Youngjae a funny look, as though the other had grown ten heads. He blinked rapidly before he realized what he was talking about. "Oh! The coffee at the cafe - well, it's good coffee for one thing. What is it with you people and your cheap coffee? People aren't going to buy that to drink."

He waved his hand around some, "So I ordered some that was nicer. We can bump up the prices a bit too if you want to."

"You're completely missing the point!" Youngjae glowered, now ever angrier because of Himchan's nonchalance about the matter of their budget for the festival. "There is nothing wrong with the 'cheap'," He made quotations with his fingers, "coffee as you call it. We've had plenty of success with it before - no one's ever complained about it."

 He continued ranting, "And bumping up the prices is out of the question. The last thing we need is to be chastised for being unreasonable with our pricing. How exactly is it going to look if the customers can go down the street for a cheaper cup of coffee than they could get at the cafe, hm?"

Himchan merely rolled his eyes, mocking Youngjae and his spiel about the whole issue. "Yah, we don't have to raise the prices - the coffee wasn't that much, geez. You act like an old granny who had her teeth stolen..." He shook his head at Youngjae, completely missing the strangling motion the other gave to him.

"Besides, I'm here now - you won't be making the mistake of ordering that disgusting mud for coffee again," Himchan smiled brightly and walked away from Youngjae. "Oh!" He turned back briefly, "I think they needed your help over at the Rent-A-Senior booth. They're ready to hold the bidding or something - go see what they need."

With that, he walked away.

Youngjae was left standing there, mouth agape and whole body twitching out of pure and utter amazement at Himchan's attitude. The other boy honestly didn't think he'd done anything wrong - that his actions weren't at all careless. "Argh!" He shouted and stomped his foot on the random piece of paper lying on the floor repeatedly, cursing Himchan's existence and his precious coffee as well.

Once his mini temper tantrum was done with, Youngjae went in search of the Rent-A-Senior booth to check on how things were proceeding. 

The Rent-A-Senior event was an interesting once indeed. Volunteers, obviously the seniors, would go up for an auction of sorts and whoever was the highest bidder on a particular student, got to spend all day with them at the school festival. In turn, the money for the bidding went to whatever charity the school had chosen that year.

It was there, in the middle of going through the list of volunteers, that Yoo Youngjae came up with a plan of revenge for Himchan's indiscretions with the coffee. And though the only people allowed to write the names on the sheet were the seniors themselves, he found himself doing what they'd caught countless fangirls and fanboys alike trying to attempt.

He wrote Kim Himchan's name down.

"Calling all students to the gym please - our Rent-A-Senior is about to be underway!"

The announcement was shrill and nasally, unlike the smooth tone of Himchan's voice. Junhong wasn't sure who was doing the intercom today, but he didn't like their voice much. He thought for a moment it sounded like Kwanghee, but he couldn't be sure since he hadn't been around the boy much himself.

Nonetheless, his thoughts drifted to other matters, like the money he currently had in his pocket that was given to him by Jieun. The girl had just randomly approached him and given him the money and for what reason? To buy Bang Yongguk for the day.

"No one else will buy him except for me but I'm participating and... I spend enough time with him as it is. You're the only one who can dish his crap out as well as take it. As a favor to me, please buy Yongguk for Rent-A-Senior."

Junhong shook his head as he stood amongst the crowd of buyers, feeling very out of place amongst the other students; most of them girls who were way shorter than him so he stuck out like a sore thumb.

"I cannot believe I was signed up for this crap - who signs someone like me up for this?" Himchan complained for the millionth time since falling in line with the other (more willing) seniors. He glanced at Yongguk, frowning. "This doesn't seem like your kind of scene either - who signed you up?"

Yongguk sighed heavily, wishing he were somewhere else far away like he'd never wished before. Himchan had been going on and on about this since twenty minutes ago when they'd been placed beside one another and he'd only gotten worse since then. 

He leaned forward slightly and looked down the line where Jieun stood, a bright smile in place to charm the boys. When she noticed him glancing in her direction, she grinned and waved at him to which he merely rolled his eyes and straightened back up.

"Here's your name tags." Youngjae said as he handed both Yongguk and Himchan a small placard with their names on them. He was just barely containing a smirk because he'd heard every single second of Himchan's whining and complaining.

Himchan glanced at Youngjae, taking note of the smirk on his lips as he accepted the name placard. He looked very satisfied... "You son of a bi--"

"Now introducing our seniors, please step forward and say your name and favorite hobby!" The announcer said as Youngjae and another council member ushered the seniors into the middle of the gym. Youngjae handed the head of the line a mic which was passed to each senior as they introduced themselves.

And then, the bidding began.

One by one, each of the seniors were bid on and bought, the fight for some more fierce than others. Himchan, for all of his ing and damning Youngjae, the charm for his potential buyers and was quickly bought by sophomore by the name of Hyeri. Jieun was bought by a boy named Hwanhee, both seemingly incredibly happy as they instantly began planning for the school festival. Nichkhun was bought, for what everyone could only guess was some sort of inside joke, by Jaebum with Hana being bought by a member of the swim team named Sungjong.

Soon, only a couple of seniors were left, Yongguk among them.

"Yongguk-sshi, please step forward."

Yongguk did as requested, crossing his arms over his chest as the bidding was opened, eyes narrowed in a glare as he stared at all of the potential buyers. His gaze stopped when he saw Junhong, however, and he couldn't help wonder what the boy was doing here.

The council members spoke amongst themselves before they began Yongguk's bidding at a lower level than before. They had worried that the other would give them a vicious look, but he seemed focused on something else and wasn't paying them the least bit of attention.

A couple of brave students raised their hands to bid on Yongguk, included was Junhong, as promised. Unfortunately, with a glare in their directions, each of them shrank away - except one. Junhong was determined to uphold the promise he made to Jieun; he would buy Yongguk and just avoid him the rest of the day. He could do that - he bought him so they could do whatever they wanted to, including not doing anything.

Finally the council members called the normal 'going once, going twice' thing and Yongguk was sold. To him. Junhong wasn't quite sure how to react - he had extra money and he felt awful keeping it, but he'd feel even worse telling Yongguk how he'd gotten him and get Jieun in trouble.

Yongguk watched as Junhong made his way over to him, an air of indifference surrounding him. His plan of chasing away all of his buyers had been torn to tiny pieces because of the freshman's surprising perseverance to buy him. He hadn't wanted to be bought, he'd wanted to walk away from this ridiculous event without a single penny being spent on him.

Apparently, karma was being a total again.

And to add insult to injury, of course, his own friend had been behind the scheme of Junhong buying him. He knew it had been Jieun because she'd worn a proud smile when it was announced his bidding had closed and even if he hadn't seen that confirmation, he'd know it was her anyway. Why else would Junhong of all people buy him?

"You shouldn't have listened to her." Yongguk stated the moment Junhong reached him.

Junhong was taken aback at Yongguk's words, surprised he even knew. He wasn't sure to what to say right off, so the first thing that came to his mind was blurted out, "I'm a gentleman, when a lady comes to me for a favor, I do it." He crossed his arms and nodded, motioning for Yongguk to follow him.

He intended to just tell Yongguk that he bought him and if he had better things to do the day of the festival, then he wasn't required to carry out his deal with spending the day with him. Once they were out of earshot of everyone, Junhong turned to him and hummed.

"I'm sure you have better things to do festival day besides spending it with me, I really don't care. Jieun noona asked me to do it and I did so..." He frowned for a moment, fishing the extra money out of his pocket, handing it to Yongguk.

"See that she gets this back okay? I have to get back to working on the booth I was assigned to."

Yongguk, just barely hiding his surprise at Junhong being the one to make the excuse for not spending the day together, contemplated the money for a few moments. He glanced up at the other boy, developing more respect for the boy for being so honest and kind to a person he'd never met before. Well, at least Junhong didn't know that he and Jieun actually knew each other, but that was besides the point.

Sighing softly, Yongguk grabbed Junhong's hand and slipped the money back into it, "Keep it." He said, adding, "She knew you'd get me for cheap - the extra money is supposed to be for you at the festival since she thinks I'm a mizer. Keep it," He nodded, backing away from the other before turning around finally and walking off. 

'Like I really need more reasons to like you Choi Junhong...' Yongguk grumbled inwardly.

Junhong looked down at the money in his hand and then to Yongguk's receding back. His hand was really warm and the warmth only spread upwards, feeling as though it wrapped around his heart. He curled his fingers around the bills and held the fist up to his chest, willing his heart to stop beating so fast.

' it all - I like him.' Junhong cursed, turning slowly and leaving the gym, his mind heavy with thoughts. What should he do? He liked Yongguk - really liked him. The guy wasn't a jerk like he once thought, many times he'd prove just how kind and thoughtful he was, even if he did it in a crass way.

'This is Jongup hyung's fault. He insinuated it and now it's true.' He determined.
______________________________________

Um, hi. I know it's been a while, but some things have gone on and all that jazz.
Anyways, we're going to attempt to update once a week again. Please show us support and patience. <3