Following Tradition

Smultronstället

Youngjae hummed to himself as he changed out of his gym clothes and into the outfit he'd chosen to wear to school today. Normally, he would've changed back into his uniform, of course, but given that it was the second day of spirit week all students were allowed to wear something other than their uniforms. Personally, he would have preferred to stick with the crisp fabric of his blazer and dress shirt, but he was the president of the student council which meant he had a duty to uphold.

"Aish... I told mom it wouldn't fit right..." He grumbled to himself as he adjusted and re-adjusted the top part of the outfit. After a couple more minutes, it finally seemed to stay where he wanted it to and after a quick check in the mirror to make certain it looked okay, he left the gym and headed back into the school hallways.

Almost instantly, Youngjae's vision became obstructed with the bright colors and bare legs and shoulders of the boys who were currently wearing varying lengths of dresses - himself included.

Amongst the crowd were several of the soccer players, all dressed in a wide array of dresses - ranging from mock ball gowns to cocktail dresses they most likely borrowed from their mothers. One particular soccer play pulled at his pleather skirt, sighing softly. 

"How am I supposed to do anything in this?" Daehyun mumbled. His mother had been quite happy to find one of her larger dresses for her son to borrow. Both of his parents were more than proud of him for 'following tradition'. He glanced around him, quite glad his mother had chosen a rather... safe dress as opposed to some of the other guys.

"Jaebum - what the hell are you wearing?" He asked the soccer leader, eyeing what looked to be some kind of pink saloon girl outfit.

"It's an old costume mom had in her closet - I think it looks great, don't you?" Jaebum questioned, flexing his muscles. Daehyun scrunched up his face, mildly disgusted.

"No." He replied simply, walking away and shaking his head only bump right into Youngjae. His eyes widened, "Whoa! I didn't know the student council was dressing up too...." He eyed Youngjae's banana yellow dress with suppressed horror.

"We do every year." Youngjae huffed in reply. He looked down at his dress and gently tugged on it to straighten it once more, inwardly cursing his luck for bumping into Daehyun. Then again, it would've happened eventually considering they were lab partners. He looked up at Daehyun once he'd fixed his dress, raising an eyebrow at his attire.

"You know..." He started, touching his chin thoughtfully, "I would've pictured you to dress more like Jaebum hyung or even Nichkhun hyung.." He murmured, eyeing said soccer players just over Daehyun's shoulder, the latter of the two clad in a pink sailor dress. "It's awfully tame of you Daehyun." He concluded.

Daehyun rolled his eyes upwards, "Pardon me for wanting to preserve what little manhood I have today. My mom practically this outfit at me anyways, she said it was the only one big enough to fit.... It's not like I had time to buy a dress." He shrugged his shoulders some.

"Hey so... does this mean Himchan hyung dressed up then?" Daehyun began grinning, just imagining what the senior had in store for the school. He was one of the most popular guys in school after all - he had to do something drastic.

Youngjae grimaced, "I shudder to think about it considering I've had nightmares since last week." A shiver ran down his spine that wasn't at all the cool air's fault. "I just hope it's not like last year's fiasco - he, Jaebum hyung and several others were nearly suspended from school for not wearing safety shorts with their mini-dresses." He shivered again.

"In any case, I applaud you, for once, on going the safe route this time around. There are enough in this school as it is without having them put on parade."

Daehyun snorted, laughing out loud at Youngjae's words, "Now that's something I never would've thought you'd say. Are you sure you haven't been hanging around Himchan hyung too much? You're developing his loose lips."

Before Youngjae got to answer however, there was a commotion just down the hall from where they stood. Daehyun leaned over some and looked towards the loud gasps and laughter. His eyes widened.

"Holy - it's Himchan hyung!"

Himchan wore a one sleeved, floral mini dress with a hot pink train and dark pink high heels. His face was perhaps where most of the gasps were concerned - he wore too much make up and his hair had bows all in it. He had a scowl on his dark red lips.

"This is the last time I trust Kwanghee's fashion advice!" Himchan shouted, stomping his heel down, creating a loud clapping noise.

"Oh my god..." Youngjae muttered, mouth agape in something akin to horror at the sight of the dance committee member. He didn't think anything would come anywhere close to last year's crossdressing incident but it seems fate or some karmic device was out to prove him wrong. 

"What in the world happened to your face Himchan?" Youngjae questioned when the other had walked close enough to where he and Daehyun stood.

Himchan turned sharp eyes to Youngjae, his hands coming to rest on his hips. "Hwang Kwanghee - that's what. I'm going to strangle the life out of his stupid body and laugh while I do it!" He held a fist up, huffing in anger.

"Hey - we almost match, hyung," Jaebum spoke up from beside Daehyun (who was too in shock to form a coherent sentence). Himchan raised an eyebrow at the leader of the soccer team.

"Yah - Hana and Sunhwa are friends and Kwanghee is Sunhwa's boyfriend - where can I find that little rat?" Himchan asked Jaebum frankly.

"Don't tell him hyung," Youngjae warned Jaebum, who had been unable to keep a smirk off of his face due to Himchan's predicament, "I will not be persecuted because this buffoon doesn't know when to shut his mouth."

Jaebum gave a mock pout, "Aw, come on Jae. Even you have to admit that Kwanghee deserves a good kick in the . I honestly don't know what Sunhwa sees in him."

"Probably the same thing Hana sees in you even though you look like you belong on Hooker Hill, hyung." Nichkhun snickered.

Jaebum, whose eyes had softened for a moment, sent a glare in his fellow teammate's direction, "Yah! You're so disrespectful!" He shouted, quickly giving chase after the other, swinging his purse around above his head threateningly as he did.

Youngjae rolled his eyes at the two's behaviour and gave Himchan a once-over. He sighed, "If you want, I'll help you with your make-up."

Daehyun shook his head, "Good luck with that, Youngjae - I'll see you later." He grinned at Himchan and then walked off, intent on playing a few pranks on the new 'damsels' in the school. It would at least keep his mind off the fact that he was wearing a dress.

Himchan watched Daehyun leave, sneering at him unhappily before giving Youngjae an uneasy look, "I fear for my already ruined reputation..." He paused and thought for a moment, "At least there's no worse than this... Lead the way." He sighed heavily and followed Youngjae as he began walking down the hall.

Youngjae lead the senior through the halls to his locker where he twisted the combination on the lock and opened the door. After a minute or so of digging, he found what he was looking for and straightened up to reveal the object was a makeup bag. He blushed and quickly explained himself, "I sometimes wear it..."

The junior led Himchan to the boys' bathroom then and instructed him to be still. He wet a few paper towels and slowly began wiping of the horrid makeup job. "Is there any particular reason why Kwanghee decided you'd make a nice clown?" He questioned curiously.

Himchan leaned against the sink behind him and shrugged nonchalantly, "I don't know - I think the guy's jealous. I'm sure I remember him saying something about wanting to be as popular as me..." He closed his eyes for Youngjae to clean off the dark eyeshadow Kwanghee had used on him.

"He was supposed to have gone to get something for my hair, but then he didn't come back so I went looking for him and caught sight of myself in a girl's locker mirror. I'm going to murder the little brat," Himchan hissed out.

He suddenly grabbed Youngjae's wrist, "Ah, don't scrub so hard - I got cut there..." To the side of his eyebrow towards his hairline there was a small cut on his skin that was now bleeding.

"Sorry..." Youngjae grimaced at the blood slowly seeping out, feeling guilty for having scrubbed that spot so hard. He snatched up a clean paper towel and wet it with some water, gently dabbing at the little cut. 

"Either you shave in odd places or this is from something else." He teased, a small grin on his lips as he continued to dab the spot. He hummed thoughtfully and added, "Kwanghee's all talk. He likes the idea of being popular but he's actually quite satisfied with his position of power right now. He probably just wanted to prank you."

Himchan rolled his eyes, "Probably. Well, he messed with the wrong person. I'll just bribe Daehyun into putting spiders or something in his gym shorts. I hope they bite his too."

He was quiet for a moment before snickering some, "I don't shave my eyebrows by the way - I actually cut myself with my nail last night. Mine grow pretty quickly," He waved his fingers in front of Youngjae's face momentarily before dropping them back by his sides.

He wasn't sure he liked the closeness of the other now - he felt an odd tingling all over, he felt like blushing and he tried his best to fight it down.

"Ah..." Youngjae hummed, "I think the idea of you cutting yourself shaving sounded better." He nodded, laughing quietly as he threw the paper towels he'd been holding on the cut away. He grabbed up the makeup bag then and quickly rifled through it, glancing at Himchan ever so often as he contemplated certain colors and such.

Once done, he set the bag to the side and grabbed up the first item in his makeup artillery, some liquid foundation and a small sponge. "Alright. Eyes closed please," He asked politely.

Himchan grumbled some but nodded, closing his eyes instantly. He felt heat on his cheeks and he wasn't sure if it was Youngjae's warm breath or his own body betraying him by blushing. He hoped it was the first and shifted to thinking of something else. "So, tell me, why do you put make up on? You look fine without it."

'Well now - way to go with the subject change, stupid.'

Youngjae's application of the foundation faltered ever so slightly at the question, not enough to be noticed though he hoped, and his cheeks began tinting pink. "Um... well..." He stammered, finding it unusually hard to talk at the moment. He hadn't expected the question nor Himchan's subtle compliment to be paired with it - surprise didn't begin to cover it.

"I... use it mainly because I get bags under my eyes a lot. They make me look awful." He answered finally, finishing up with the foundation and moving onto the blush. "I tend to get sick quite a bit as well and I have a tendency to look pale because of it. Other than those times, I don't use it a lot. Make a fish face now."

Himchan hadn't missed that brief hesitation, but chose not to think too much on it. He already had enough to think about - like why his heart was suddenly beating just a bit faster. Since when did Youngjae have this effect on him? He did as Youngjae asked, thinking over his answer.

He knew Youngjae had a penchant for getting sick - he'd had to bring his homework to him before and then another time not long after the first time. He'd also long since noticed the bags Youngjae got - it was from overworking himself. He had swim team, student council duties, tutoring, not to mention advanced classes which equaled tons of homework. Himchan wondered if the boy ever did anything fun besides play on Matoki.

Taking advantage of Himchan's silence, Youngjae focused more on finishing the senior's makeup. He felt he'd revealed too much to the other even though it wasn't a deep, dark secret that he fell ill more often than others. More so, this was Kim Himchan he was talking to, the bane of his existence as student council president.

Really though... he didn't think as horrible of Himchan as he acted. The senior was a hard worker, when he put his mind to it, and he really had contributed more than his fair share to the student council even though he was only on the dance committee. He owed a lot to the other even though he made it sound as if it was Himchan who owed him.

"You're done." Youngjae announced as he stepped away to admire his handiwork. He'd outdone himself this time. "You make... a surprisingly pretty woman, hyung." He complimented honestly, thanking the deities above that he had put blush on earlier because he could feel his face heating up as the close contact he'd had with the other finally hit him. 

'Yoo Youngjae, calm yourself now! It was just stupid Himchan...' He scolded himself, wondering why this seemed to happen to him so often when he was around the other nowadays.

Himchan raised an eyebrow at him, suspicious of his words. He turned to glance in the mirror, surprised by how nice and neat the make up was now. He would've commented something smart about how it was funny that Youngjae knew how to put on make up, but he just couldn't. Kwanghee had made him a laughing stock and now, with Youngjae's work, no one would be laughing at him.

He turned back to Youngjae and gave the other an honest smile, "Thanks - you did great. Now at least I know I won't be laughed at as much, though I know it'll be the dress rather than the make up this time around."

Youngjae pursed his lips and gave Himchan a once over, mouth twitching upwards in a slight smirk. "The dress certainly won't make it cease, but at least you're not planning to walk around with fake s like a certain sloppy makeup artist I know." He snorted derisively.

"I think its time for us to get going - I have class and you have to regain your dignity." Youngjae nodded, gathering up the makeup he'd used and placing everything back into the bag.

Himchan snorted and nodded his head, "Yeah - really." He rolled his eyes upwards and slid his arm into Youngjae's, giving a devilish smirk. "A pretty young girl shouldn't walk alone~" He grinned widely, leading Youngjae out of the bathroom.

___________________________________

I do apologize for the long absence. We're getting close to catching up to where my sister and I are writing currently and then we had an emergency with our mother. We'll be slowing down updates for this story until we can write more, in the mean time, we have written other (long) one shots, which I'll start posting this Saturday.

Thank you all for being so patient. We love you all.