Double Scheduled

Smultronstället

 

"For the last time, we are not doing our report on food, Daehyun." Youngjae ground out irritably to his lab partner/current tormentor.

Though today was Saturday, Youngjae had made sure to schedule a meet-up with Daehyun so they could discuss the science report that was due in a few weeks as they'd both been quite busy lately. At the time he'd made the request to the other teen it hadn't seemed like such a bad idea - sacrificing a couple of hours of laziness and free-time for the sake of one's grade was important, right?
 
Wrong. Wrong, wrong and wrong.
 
His lab partner, who was supposed to be quite smart in his own right so it really shouldn't be as tough as it was, couldn't get his mind off of what he was going to put into his stomach long enough to come up with a decent topic. And worse still, every idea Youngjae came up with was immediately shot down by the other.
 
"What about... the structure of the solar system?" He questioned tiredly, rubbing the bridge of his nose to ward off the onset of a headache.
 
Daehyun leaned back in the uncomfortable chair that he'd been sitting in for at least an hour now, listening to Youngjae fret over a report that wasn't even due until the middle of next month. Every idea he'd had was shot down by the other, claiming that 'food wasn't a viable subject' or 'someone is already doing the break down function of the digestive system'. So when Youngjae offered the structure of the solar system, he gave a face.
 
"I don't like doing things like that... they'll expect a model and you know it," Daehyun grumbled, rubbing at his stomach as it growled for food. "When can we take a break and get a snack?"
 
Youngjae's eye began twitching upon hearing the painfully familiar question, his hopes that Daehyun was going to take things seriously for once being shot out of the sky and crashing with no hopes for search and rescue. He was was quickly reaching the end of his rope with the other.
 
"You've been asking that since the last snack break we had not twenty minutes ago..." The junior answered through gritted teeth as his fingers squeezed around the pencil they held in a mock demonstration of what he felt like doing to the blonde.
 
Daehyun gave Youngjae a deep pout, leaning up in the chair and onto the table. "Yah, I can't help that I'm so hungry - I have a high metabolism, I told you that last snack break too. You don't seem to understand..." Daehyun's speech faded out as a black haired boy, whom he recognized as Kim Himchan, walked up behind Youngjae.
 
"Yoo Youngjae," Himchan said simply, "What are you doing?"
 
Youngjae, who had been about blow up much like the volcanoes he'd suggested earlier (though he'd know the reason for his explosion unlike the lava-filled masses), promptly jumped out of his seat at the sudden extra voice, a not so boyish squeak leaving him. He turned around to face the new visitor, lips pressing into a thin line as he looked at Himchan.
 
"I should be asking you the same question. Why are you here sneaking up on me and not somewhere else?" He questioned, annoyed by the presence of yet another thorn in his side.
 
Himchan gave Youngjae a 'are you kidding me' look and held up some books. "Uh, because you scheduled a tutoring session for me today..." He trailed off and looked at Daehyun. "So, he's your lab partner?" Himchan smirked.
 
Daehyun looked between the two and then grinned playfully, "Yoo Youngjae, the smartie-tart, double scheduled? Oh, write this one down in the books, it's a first!" He chuckled.
 
"Yes, unfortunately he is and no, I did not." Youngjae hissed out, glaring daggers at the both of them. "I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding - on your part, of course, hyung." He stated haughtily as he snatched up his day planner and flipped through it to the day's date. His eyes promptly grew wide upon seeing both Himchan and Daehyun's names in the same block - one to start an hour ago (Daehyun) and the other for thirty minutes later (Himchan).
 
Youngjae began to twitch uncontrollably, his mouth opening and closing much like a fish out of water.
 
Himchan leaned over and looked at the book, a grin forming on his lips and it was quickly mirrored on Daehyun. "Oh... it's my fault huh? How come there's two names there in that square next to today's date?"
 
Daehyun leaned over as well, glancing at it and chuckling, "Hahaha, you did double schedule!" He clapped, drawing attention from the other people in the library.
 
Youngjae snapped out of his daze only to flush with embarrassment as he was glared at by the librarian who gave them the classic 'hush' gesture. He smiled and waved at her meekly, waiting for her to turn around before finally turning a harsh gaze on his two 'companions'.
 
"Shut up you two or you're going to get us kicked out." He whispered angrily. He gave another glance to his planner, sighed morosely when he saw that it hadn't magically changed and then closed it before gesturing for Himchan to sit down, "Have a seat then. I may as well take advantage of the both of you showing up while I can."
 
Himchan dropped his books on the table nonchalantly and plopped down in the chair beside Youngjae, "Take advantage huh?" He gave Youngjae a sly grin only to earn a nudge in the ribs with the other's sharp elbow. "Ouch, okay - so," Himchan coughed and flipped through his book. "Give me something to work--"
 
"I'm going to get a snack while you two talk - I'll be right back," Daehyun announced, quickly standing and leaving the table. Himchan blinked and then shook his head.
 
"Like I was saying... give me something to work on and I'll do that while you two discuss whatever it is you were discussing," Himchan waved one of his hands around some.
 
"If he can get his mind off of food long enough to discuss anything you mean." Youngjae grumbled, picking up one of Himchan's books and flipping through it. Why he'd been nominated to tutor the senior was beyond him - he was a junior, after all - but he did have a sneaking suspicion that it was because they both resided on the student council more than it was him being intelligent.
 
It was quite unfair really.
 
"Um... here." Youngjae set the history book back in front of Himchan and pointed to the chapter title. "Read this chapter and answer the questions at the end. When you're done I'll look over them and we'll discuss them regardless of being right or wrong, okay?"
 
Himchan sighed and nodded, leaning on his curled hand, reading the sentences in the history book boredly. He hated history - it was his worst subject. It didn't help that he was given Youngjae as a tutor (even if he was more bearable after learning he's the face behind Joko). He had a sneaking suspicion Hyosung was the reason behind the pairing, but he couldn't prove it.
 
He glanced at Youngjae out of the corner of his eyes as the other looked over his schedule book. 'Probably making sure he didn't double schedule again...' Himchan thought, frowning some. Despite their differences, he honestly cared about Youngjae - he was a bit worried to see him fretting over one little missed detail.
 
Sure it wasn't like Youngjae to miss something like that, but it wasn't unheard of and it wasn't a huge deal. In all his time knowing the other, he'd never seen Youngjae take a break and just have fun like someone his age should.
 
Youngjae heaved a mental sigh of relief after re-checking his planner to see if he'd had more instances like today written down and discovering this one time was his only time. He blamed the absentmindedness on his being sick most of the week - he'd been lucky to be so conversational with Himchan the day he'd visited considering he'd felt like he'd been dropped from the 63 building most of that morning.
 
Shaking his head of his thoughts, he looked over at Himchan to make sure he was doing his work only to meet gazes with the senior. He glanced away quickly, cheeks heating up ever so slightly for reasons unknown to him. 'Aish! What are you blushing about you pabo?! It's just Himchan hyung - stupid Himchan hyung, that's all.' He berated himself, just barely resisting the urge to slap himself on the forehead for getting worked up.
 
Thankfully, or maybe not, salvation came in the form of one satisfied looking Daehyun whose arms were laden with snack cakes and chips.
 
Youngjae raised an eyebrow at the sight, exasperation beginning to show on his features, "You can't be that hungry. We just took a snack break about forty-five minutes ago and you said yourself that you'd eaten before you came here."
 
Daehyun plopped down in his chair and deposited his armful of chips and cakes onto the table. "I ate before I came, and twice since then - who's to say I won't do something strenuous, like work with my brain, and get hungry more often? You won't like me when I'm hungry," Daehyun nodded, dead serious. Himchan snorted from his seat beside Youngjae.
 
"You stole that from a movie," Himchan muttered, flipping to the next page to read there.
 
"And tried to make it seem original no less." Youngjae added and then promptly slapped himself on the forehead. "Ugh... I'm becoming as bad as you two." He groaned, voice tinged with slight despair. This was why he holed himself up in his room with books about numbers and Pulitzer winning people.
 
"Fine. Eat and be merry - I don't care. Just don't come running to me when you're fat, diabetic and live in your mother's basement with nothing but to keep you company on long lonely nights." Youngjae sighed, tapping his finger impatiently on his science book. "Can we please get back to finding a subject for our paper now?"
 
Daehyun gave Youngjae a scowl and leaned back in his chair with a loud sigh, "I'd much rather be at home, online, playing Matoki with my friends..." He opened a wrapper with a cookie in it, stuffing the entire thing into his mouth.
 
Himchan paused in his reading, staring at Daehyun who was looking off in a random direction. "Wait... you play Matoki?" He questioned, sharing a curious glance with Youngjae.
 
Youngjae looked at Daehyun out of the corner of his eye, contemplating whether his curiosity was strong enough to find out the other's screenname and finally deciding that no, it wasn't. He could barely tolerate the other as it was and he had no desire to see if it transferred to his online persona.
 
He shrugged at Himchan, mouthed 'find out for yourself' to him and returned to finding a suitable research topic.
 
Himchan narrowed his eyes at Youngjae, but leaned forward on his history book nonetheless. "Yah... you play Matoki?" He repeated, glad he'd gotten Daehyun's attention this time.
 
"Yeah, I do, I spend most of my free time there," Daehyun nodded proudly, now munching on another cookie. Himchan chewed on his bottom lip before piping up again.
 
"I play too - I'm Tatsmato." He tested, wondering if he happened to know Daehyun. He knew a lot of people online, it surely wasn't impossible.
 
"Really?" Daehyun gasped, leaning forward excitedly, "I'm Kekemato."
 
Himchan's mouth hung open in response. He certainly wasn't expecting that name.
 
"WHAT?!" Youngjae shouted, the book he'd been using to hide behind in an effort to drown out the other teens' voices falling out of his hands to land on the table with a loud 'thud'. He was instantly assaulted by a harsh 'shh!' from the librarian though the sound fell on deaf ears this time. He had more important things on his mind right now.
 
"You... you're Keke?" Youngjae finally managed, a whimper leaving him when Daehyun gave him a nod, his face full of confusion. He let his head drop onto the table, the stinging pain from the force of it not bothering him at all given the newfound information. "No... no, no, no...."
 
Daehyun stared at Youngjae, raising an eyebrow at Himchan who gave a short laugh, patting the whining boy's back comfortingly. "What the hell is wrong with him?" Daehyun questioned finally.
 
"Ahem, he's Joko." Himchan replied simply and Daehyun's eyes widened in surprised. He was unable to say anything in response as another wail of agony came from Youngjae and several more people were shushing them - one of them being Jaebum and his girlfriend Hana who were studying together with Nichkhun.
 
"Really?" Daehyun asked, "He's Joko?" He was silent for a moment, "But... Joko's actually fun."
 
Said whining boy's head snapped up. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?!" Youngjae growled, eyes flashing angrily. When more whispers of 'hush' and 'be quiet' sounded out, he turned his furious gaze on them which promptly sent them back to their work. Satisfied, he turned his attention back to Daehyun.
 
"Me and Joko are one in the same. If he's fun, I am too dammit." Youngjae spoke angrily, pounding his fist on his book. "Just because I am actually responsible enough to care that we don't fail this paper doesn't mean I am any less fun."
 
Daehyun blinked and gave Himchan a doubtful look. "Whatever you say - hey, we should get on Matoki sometime today then. Won't it be even better now that we know each other?"
 
Himchan shrugged, "I don't know - ever since we discovered who we were on Matoki, we haven't had a chance to try it out. With spirit week just around the corner, we've gotten too busy."
 
"And that's precisely why we need to continue to study now - spirit week is going to take up enough of our time as it is. That being said..." Youngjae trailed off, grabbing up Himchan's book and shoving it in his face. "You. Study." He ordered before turning to Daehyun.
 
"And you, get your mind off of food for five minutes so we can choose a subject for our paper so we don't fail or I will P.K. Keke so help me." He said, voice low and dangerous so the other would know he meant it.
 
Daehyun's eyes widened, "You wouldn't." But he knew Youngjae wasn't kidding - he may have never P.K.ed anyone before, but he was certain he'd do his best to teach a lesson. "Alright, alright... what about the solar system? Or a paper on the periodic table?" He offered, pouting.
 
Himchan only snorted and began reading again, smirking at the two arguing back and forth about which one to work on.