Life built on lies

It’s MY baby

 

Siwon was pacing up and down the hospital hall. Ren was in emergency room, while Sooyoung was hospitalized, they said they will give her a room, but that’s all he knew. Just as he sat down a doctor came escorting Ren along. Siwon rose up again and took a step toward them.

“She’ll be fine, the bruises will probably appear in the next few hours, we stitched up her lip, she also got some pain killers prescribed, luckily no concussion, however.” Turning to Ren she continued.” You will probably wake up with massive headache, since the adrenaline rush will calm down.” Turning back to Siwon. “She shouldn’t be alone.” Siwon nodded although he didn’t listen as he should have. All this waiting made him impatient.

“What about my wife? Where is she? Did she wake up? And what about the baby?” The doctor motion for Ren to sit down. “One thing at a time, have you called someone for your friend?” Siwon ran his hand up his face, through his hair. “Someone is coming, now my wife? They don’t even want to tell me where they took her?!” In annoyance he raises his voice and Ren feels shivers down her spine. “I’ll take you to her now, I just want to make sure she doesn’t stay alone.” In that moment another male voice called out to them. “I came as fast as I could, what happened?” Kyuhyun practically ran over. “He’s here, can we go now, please.” “Of course, of course.” Kyuhyun watched them leave and then sat down next to Ren.

He lifted her bruised face and she averted her eyes. “What the hell happened?” He couldn’t believe his eyes. “Sooyoung attacked me.” Slowly she looked back at her friend. “She came out of nowhere and stared yelling and pulling my hair and …” She fought back the tears. “I’m still in shock that all this just happened.” “But where is she now?” Kyuhyun came closer and sort of side hugged her. “She seemed to have fainted from exhaustion … they admitted her and Siwon went with her doctor now.” Kyuhyun sighed and lightly rubbed Ren’s back. “Where is Sungmin?” “She was already sleeping, so I didn’t wake her, she’s been through enough today.” Pulling away Ren asked what happened and Kyuhyun explained her the nightmare that just happened to his girl.

 

Three floors higer, the doctor first showed Siwon his wife. She was still unconscious. Siwon stepped in and hugged her, kissing her forehead. “All her vitals are ok, we gave her some ivy drip, she’ll wake up in a few hours. Now if you will please follow me into my office.” Siwon looked up not sure why is it necessary if she’s fine. “Is it the baby?” Doctor looked away and motioned with his hand toward her office. “Please sir.”

They walked down the hall and strangely every room they passed was a single bed room. Siwon’s been in the hospital many times, but somehow this hall and these rooms gave him the creeps. They stopped at her office, she motions for him to step in, glancing at the doors he noticed Psy.D initials, frowning at himself he wasn’t sure why he’s discussing his wife’s well-being with a psychologist?

When they both sat down the doctor tried to explain Sooyoung situation as best as she possibly could and by analyzing her patients’ husband’s different face expressions, she knew this one will be really hard.

When she finished all Siwon could do was stare blankly back at her. It was like the doctor spoke in another language, he couldn’t comprehend what he just has been told.

“By the look on you face, I’m guessing you had no clue.”

“I still don’t think I fully understand, how can there be no baby? She clearly has a baby bump?!”

“Like I said, it’s called phantom or false pregnancy, the symptoms are similar to the ones of true pregnancy and it’s often hard to distinguish them. That’s why she is gaining weight and her belly looks right and she probably felt the morning sickness and all. Even for a doctor it can be hard to distinguish one from the other. But ultrasound doesn’t lie, there never was a baby.”

Siwon rises up from the chair, not sure how he should feel. “How is that possible, why does that happen? …How can … I …” Not sure what kind of question to even ask he sits back down, defeated.

“In medicine, the cause it’s still not known or how should I say, it affects different women for different reasons. But in your wife’s case, it’s most probably a psychological problem.” Doctors stopped and observed Siwon’s expressions.

“Psychological?” Mumbling he repeated her words.

“Yes psychological and by her chart, I see that she was made aware of it, during her last visit.” That surprised Siwon. “Her gynecologist wrote down that they talked about it, but she stormed of, calling him a liar and what not. While your friend got her lip stitched up I made a few phone calls.” Siwon’s eyes water up, he shook his head, this meant nothing good. “How bad is it?” Doctor sighed and looked down at the papers on her desk.

“It’s not good.”

 

 

“It’s taking them a really long time, doesn’t it?” Kyuhyun stodd up. “I’ll go ask which room she’s in.” Ren watches him go, glancing at the phone for any missed calls or messages from Siwon, but nothing.

“Just what happened to Sooyoung, Ren?” Kyuhyun came back utterly confused. “Like I said she just passed out, I didn’t even fight her back, I was the one who needed stiches, she just fell asleep, why?” “They told me she’s in a restricted department and no one is allowed to see her? Thr nurse couldn’t even tell me the room's number?!” Kyuhyun sat down again puzzled and Ren burst into tears. “Oh my god, what have I done?”

 

______________________________________________________