Chapter Eight

Method to My Madness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Narrator’s POV

One clear afternoon, Yunho went out for a jog. Since he will be living alone for quite a while he decided to survey the neighborhood. A lot of young kids play in the vacant lots and only a few people walk in the streets. He is about to cross the pedestrian lane when he noticed an old lady carrying shopping bags more than she can bear. Yunho being the gentleman that he is gave his simple gesture of service to her.

“Halmoni, good afternoon” Yunho greeted. “Can I help you?” trying to grab most of the bags leaving the old lady carrying the smallest one.

“Aigoo.” She smiled. “You shouldn’t have.”

“I can take care of it halmoni. Where do you live by the way?”

“What a polite young man.” She agreed at him.

They talked along the way which made the old woman fond of Yunho for being gentle and considerate. She told him that he reminds her of her husband and hopes they could meet soon. She talked mostly about how young men should treat young ladies especially because the society is changing. She is very concerned about how rude some young people could get and complimenting Yunho every now and then as how he is.

When halmoni started questioning Yunho about him, he can’t help but be comfortable with the new acquaintance. He told him about his parents and a younger sister that lives in Gwangju. He told the old lady how he misses them and wishes to be with them soon but since he is going to spend a few years in the university he can’t help but be separated with them. The old woman sympathizes with Yunho and offered to be an extended family member since they do not have any young men in the house. Yunho warmly accepts the sweet halmoni and conceded to her invitation inside her house.

The house is old but fully furnished and spotlessly clean inside. Yunho noticed old photographs in the walls and fresh flowers by the table. It has a pure homey feeling Yunho has been missing for a while now. It gave Yunho a hollow emptiness on how he misses to be at home with his family.

“Aigoo. Yunho sshi can you wait for me for a while I will get you some tea.”

“You really shouldn’t bother halmoni. It’s alright.”

“Nonesense, since you are our new neighbor it is good to know each other. We are lucky to have a polite young boy next door since the last tenant there didn’t even show his face to us.” The old lady laughed.

“Nee” Yunho uneasily replied.

Yunho continued to observe the house and found pink aprons by the kitchen side. He smiled thinking how can halmoni wear such a cute girly apron for her age. He stood up and examined the pictures in the walls. Most of the pictures are halmoni’s and her husband when they were young. Yunho walked to the series of smiling faces and notice there is only one different picture at the far end of the wall. It is a family of three, a young couple and their little daughter grinning widely at the edge of the river decorated with colorful lights surrounding them. Yunho recognized it was taken from Yangdong Market, a place in Gwangju.

“Aigoo, come here and have your tea before it gets cold.”

Yunho smiled at her and sat opposite in the table. “Kamshamida halmoni.”

They both turned when they heard a loud bang at the door. Halmoni shook her head and smiled at him. “She’s here.”

Yunho just look curiously at halmoni but didn’t ask anything. She stood up and motions to go back to the kitchen.”I should get another one” she said.  The door opened and Hyun ae stood there not minding him.

“Hello Hyun ae” halmoni greeted. “I’ll get you a cup of tea.”

“Thanks halmoni,” she said dropping her bags on the couch. She went straight to the counter and grabbed an apple. Yunho all the while confused at the situation but understood all the while that this is the same Hyun ae who is ignoring him for a whole few minutes. Hyun ae looking straight at him and ate her apple still not talking to him.

Hyun ae thinks that the Yunho infront of her is not real. She has been traumatized by his existence that she can normally see him anywhere. Hyun ae thought, “Surely Yunho wouldn’t pop out in our house since he didn’t even know where I live. This is the safest place not to see him.”

“Aigoo, Hyun ae why are you looking like that at Yunho sshi?” halmoni asked her giving her a cup of tea.

“Wae?” she asked astounded. “You’re real?” hanging open from surprise. Hyun ae stood up and poked Yunho on his cheeks. “You feel real too.”

Yunho chuckled at her thinking how cute she looked surprised.”Of course, I’m real.” He told her.

“And you’re talking?” Hyun ae whispered.

“Hyun ae don’t be disrespectful to guests.” Halmoni warned her.

“Wae?” she asked a little bit louder. “You are really Yunho?”

“Yes.” Halmoni said. “He’s our new neighbor.”

Yunho chuckled again at her odd expression. ‘Does she normally see me even if I’m not actually around?’ he thought to himself.

“Is this true?” she looks beaten up not believing what is in front of her eyes.

Yunho stood up and open the curtains, “I live by that house” he pointed next door.

 “Wae?”

______________________

 

Yunho went straight back to his house laughing quietly. He didn’t expect Hyun ae to be living next door. He’s not sure what’s funny about the situation but he couldn’t stop himself from grinning.

As he entered his house, he found Yoochun and Junsu playing darts at one side arguing about scores and rules of darts while Changmin is helping himself in his kitchen eating his blueberry cheesecake. Yunho gave them a baffled expression until Junsu noticed him first.

“Hyung” Junsu chirped erasing something in the mini board where they tally scores.

“Yo hyung,” Yooc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter