Chapter Fourteen

Method to My Madness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hyun ae’s POV

Have you ever experience the feeling that after doing something great the next day you will feel emotionally low? I think that’s how I feel right now.

After the successful program we had yesterday at the orphanage it seems like my energy was just drained. When I woke up earlier this morning I was feeling alright but as soon as stood up and look at the calendar my body went numb.

I walked the footpath of the Han river overlooking the beautiful sunset, sighing every now and then.

I feel awful.

Today is my parents’ death anniversary. It has been exactly 11 years since they passed away but I can still remember the pain as if it only happened yesterday. I never told anyone that after all these years the mere memory of it still scares me.

My grandparents and I went to my parents’ tomb this morning offering our prayers. After that I just went out of my way saying I will be busy for the rest of the afternoon. But the truth is I just want to be alone.

I looked up into the heaven and murmured a prayer, “Omma, appa, Can you hear me?” I sat in the stairways of the park inhaling the beautiful scenery and the soft breeze of fall. “Are you happy over there?”

I shouldn’t have the chance to see this day but I was given a second chance to live. I wonder why I survived but as the days go by I am enlightened by my mother’s soft words before she left me. “Hyun ae, my darling, life is what you make of it. Always has been, always will be. So when you grow up I want you to remember these words… You always have a choice on how to live your life.”

I took in a deep breath and smiled. “Omma, I have decided to live happily. Am I doing well?” I felt tears streaming down my cheeks. “I am happy omma, but I miss you so much.” I wipe the side of my cheeks and continued on to stare at the sunset in front of me. “Having a second chance to live isn’t that bad after all.”

Yunho POV

In a distance, I saw how Hyun ae’s wipe the tears in her face. She might be good at hiding her emotions but as swiftly as she moved her hands I knew she was crying. For some weird reason, I want to come beside her and give her comfort. I never want to see those tears again. I look over the place where I am standing and in a distance I saw an ice cream shop. “I am not sure if it’s a good idea but I can always try.” I told myself while walking towards the establishment.

As I opened the door, I saw Yoochun hurrying out. He passed by me not giving me a second glance. I was about to call him when someone from the inside yelled loudly, “You pig! Don’t ever try coming back at here!” I knotted my forehead and entered the place slowly. The ice cream shop is a mess and a girl in her uniform is holding a mop, trying as fast as she can to clear up everything.  She has an angry expression and mumbling under her breath. Her hair in a ponytail is all messed up in her face and there are smudges of ice cream in her uniform.

“Ahmmm, hello?” I asked my head popping out the door.

She turned to me, slightly bowed and smiled. “Good afternoon, customer, what would you like for today?”

I came in as soon as she acknowledged me and I saw the messy floor and countertop. “Are you sure this is a good time?”

She apologetically smiled and went at the back of the registrar, “I am sorry for the mess, we were just attacked by a wild animal. Rest assured the ice cream we sell is not melted, or damaged by that undomesticated swine.” She mused.

I laughed at her witty remark and let myself choose at the wide variety of gelato ice cream in front of me. “Yoochun’s not that bad. I will have one of that Pistachio and dark chocolate gelato please.”

She gave me a weird look, “You know that monster? You shouldn’t hang around with the likes of him he will make you look bad.”

I gave her a smile as I paid the ice cream. “Do I look bad in front of you? Why are you so mad at him anyway?”

She gave me the ice cream and went back to cleaning the floor with slumped shoulders, “I really don’t want to talk about it.”

“Ahmm, okay.” I politely told her not poking around something out of my business. Maybe I’ll just ask Yoochun later. “I’ll see you later then. Thank you for the ice cream.”

She slightly bowed again and gave me one of those trained smiles. “Thank you customer, I hope to see you again. Have a good day.”

My thoughts were disturbed as soon as I remembered why I bought the ice cream. I silently walked towards Hyun ae and sat beside her extending my hand and giving her a chance to choose between the two flavors of ice cream. “You are just in luck, someone gave me these ice creams and I can’t eat everything up how about you help me finish this?”

Hyun ae glanced over me confused while I kept my eyes glued on the sunset. She took the dark chocolate ice cream and we sat there silently, watching the sunset and peacefully eating our ice cream. “Thank you Yunho oppa.” She smiled not taking her eyes off the sunset. “It seems like déjà vu.” She whispered.

I furrowed my brows and looked at her, questioning her words. “What do you mean?”

“It’s hard to explain but when I was eight and we visited my aunt in Gwangju, I was lost

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter