September

The Popular Girls.

***

We know that in September, we will wander through the warm winds of summer's wreckage. We will welcome summer's ghost.

Henry Rollins

September came too fast for everyone, getting back to the everyday routine was hard for everyone but even harder for students because that meant school was back. The annoying teachers, the huge amount of homework and the getting up early. The latter was the hardest thing for Jessica, she couldn’t understand, not even bear the thought of getting up at half past six.

The start of school also meant new class, change that wasn’t very welcomed for Jessica as she didn’t have a good feeling about it that morning, something was bound to happen, and she felt it.

The annoying alarm clock wasn’t missed at all and the blonde made sure to let the object know by knocking it down and throw it.

But no worries, no one got hurt in the process. Just the poor pink alarm clock.

Getting out of the car, she sighed and walked through the gates of the familiar unmissed building, a bored expression on her face, not even bothering to say hi to any of the juniors that were bowing and paying their respects to her. She just brushed past them, until a brunette girl run up to her and jumped on her, crushing her between her arms enthusiastically.

“Jessica! I missed you!” Tiffany, the girl’s name was, said, still hugging her.

“You know how I hate public displays of affection” Jessica could only say between breaths.

Underneath her gruff surface, she was glad to see the girl, she just wasn’t the touchy feely sort of girl. She hated people invading her personal space.

 “Hey! You’re ruining my hair! Get away!” she shrieked, pushing her off.

Only the new kids in the first year were staring at the pair curiously and in awe, the older ones already used to the scene and carried on as usual.

Of course, some boys would look in case any girls’ skirt went up, but they were to be disappointed as they had the decency to wear black tight shorts underneath the freakishly short uniform skirt.

It wasn’t just Jessica and Tiffany, there were nine of them, hanging out together, all of them popular, some loved them and other really disliked them but mostly, they had everyone’s respect, but it was known to not cross them as they could possibly make your life hell.

Jessica could be so and so, she usually was too lazy to do something herself but trust her that if she did do something, it usually came along with public humiliation.

But again, no worries as that was rare.

***

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. – Oscar Wilde

 

 

Kwon Jiyong liked school.

However he’d never say that out loud but school was a way to distract himself from his problems and be around people.

A people’s person, he was the guy with smartass comments in lessons that made everybody laugh. If asked to describe Kwon Jiyong, the right word would be cheeky.

Everybody liked him, he was just likeable. No one had any reasons to dislike him and there’s always a period of a girl’s life in their school where they had a crush on him. The problem was, most of them never had the courage of confessing while others realized that, they only liked him but didn’t want him as a boyfriend.

To the handful few that had the guts to tell him, he made sure to reject them right on the spot with a sorry and a no.

He looked at the school’s bulletin where all the new classes were written with the list of pupils for each one. He grinned widely once he saw that his homeroom teacher was still Mr Park, the young teacher who only started his career last year but was already loved by the students as he was funny and relatable, not like the grumpy old teachers easy to wind up.

Mr Park understood them and made them feel important.

Jiyong walked pushing past the crowd, getting annoyed by the younger students blocking the hallway; didn’t they have to get to lesson? He thought irritated.

He looked up to see whether he was in the right class which was confirmed by the tag on top of the door, 2-A. His new school year started, he couldn’t feel any more excited.

“Jiyong! Together again, man!” Youngbae shouted from across the class, getting everyone’s attention to the blonde guy at the door. The atmosphere completely changed from before, everyone was livelier and smiles all across the room.

That was what Kwon Jiyong did, his presence made everyone’s mood lift.

“Yes! Kwon, sit here!” one of the guys already reserved a seat for him.

Jiyong joined his friends, sitting at his seat and they carried on their conversation with louder voices as everyone was having their own conversation.

The door opened another time, a tall boy with dark hair made his entrance, no backpack or anything with him, his hands on his pockets and gave off a mature vibe that no one else in their year gave.

Jiyong recognized immediately the guy, of course, how could he not?

Seunghyun was the closest person he had after Youngbae. The three of them basically grew up together through everything in the same neighbourhood but although Youngbae and Jiyong were the same age, Seunghyun was a year older.

 The two younger guys weren’t surprised to see him in the same class as them, they were only surprised he managed to get through the first year and not having to repeat that one as well.

Choi Seunghyun was every teacher’s nightmare, no one knew what to do with him.

It was a struggle even to just get him to write his name on test papers, a miracle if he wasn’t sleeping in lessons but fear not that if he wasn’t sleeping, his mind certainly wasn’t on school.

But this year was going to be different, everyone could feel it, they just knew it.

The door opened once again, this time two girls walked in, one with her blonde curls falling to her shoulders, a side fringe covering part of her face but she had a presence that everyone just sensed it and stared.

The other girl just a little behind her but even her emanated charms, maybe not as much as her blonde friend Jiyong found, but nonetheless she had a different type of charm.

She seemed much more approachable, brighter, and similar to him.

“Oh, that’s Jessica Jung!” Taehyun, one of the boys, whispered, in awe.

 “Jessica! Sit next to me!” a classmate playfully said to her.

“Kim Jonghoon, why would she sit next to you when she can sit next to me?”

“Fine! Tiffany, my angel, you’ll sit next to me right?”

Tiffany burst out laughing and shook her head, already feeling comfortable in her new class.

“Ha, Jonghoon rejected already, shall I try my luck?” Jiyong joked making everyone in the class laugh except Jessica. She didn’t see what was funny about what he said. And really, it wasn’t funny but the way Jiyong said it made them laugh. As if to poke fun of himself.

Didn’t he have any self-esteem? Jessica thought after understanding what the guy meant.

She wasn’t even listening to anyone, she sat down on a random seat, her chin in the palm of her hand*, and she started staring at the wall, her mind already travelling elsewhere.

But coincidentally, her seat was right next to Jiyong’s.

Yes, this school year was definitely going to be more interesting for sure.

***

 

 

*Quote from Ariana Grande – Daydreamin’

 

Introductory chapter for the four main characters, hope you liked it.

DISCLAIMER: In Korea, they start school year in March. I completely forgot. I want this story to go along with my school year though... if that makes sense? I'm sorry!

Please ignore it  for the sake of narration.:)