Anytime You Want

Our Special Secret

            I was in the library one afternoon after school, searching for some books for my research paper, when I suddenly see a boy with a dirty pair of converse sitting in the very corner. He was listening to music, looking quite solemn.

            “Hey,” I said, lightly kicking his shoe. “Why the long face?”

            Myungsoo took off one of his ear buds. “What long face?”

            “You looked sad,” I said.

            “Or did I?”

            “You did.”

            Myungsoo shook his head and put his other ear bud back in. I took a seat next to him.

            “Tell me!” I pestered.

            “Get lost, Son Napoop.”

            I pouted but then noticed a piece of paper lying on the floor next to him.

 

 

SOCCER TEAM REGISTRATION FORM

 

 

            My eyes widened. “You’re getting back on the soccer team?!”

            “No comment.”

            “That makes sense,” I thought aloud. “The team is doing horrible this season compared to the past years. You were their star player!”

            Myungsoo gave me a look. “Since when did you know about my relationship with soccer?”

            “U-Uh…” I tried thinking of a plausible lie to tell him but came up with none so I told him the truth. “One of my friends told me,” I said. “She used to check you out and yeah.”

            He smirked at this and nodded in acknowledgement.

            “Why are you so bummed then if coach wants you back on the team?” I asked him. “Shouldn’t you be thrilled?”

            “Your friend didn’t tell you why I quit in the first place, did she?”

            I thought about it. “She did, actually. She said that you’d twisted your ankle badly.”

            "Yeah.  And I haven’t played since. Probably gonna fail the team if I get back on. Me returning to soccer won’t do any good for them,” Myungsoo said.

            “What do you mean? I’m sure you’ll be able to get back to the level that you were at before,” I said.

            Myungsoo shrugged. “Maybe. I’m still really hesitant about joining back though.”

            “You’ll do great,” I said. “I know you will.”

 

 

            The next morning I waited in front of the coach’s office for Myungsoo. When the first bell rang, I was worried that he wouldn’t turn in the registration form after all.

            Then I saw him in the distance, leisurely walking to the office. He saw me and we went to the office together to turn in the form.

            Upon exiting the office however, we bumped into Taemin.

            .

            “Naeun,” Taemin said. I’d been kind of cold to him since Valentine’s Day. To be honest, he was the last thing on my mind nowadays. “What are you doing with Myungsoo?”

            I opened my mouth to speak before Myungsoo beat me to it. “It’s none of your business,” he said coldly.

            “Oh I think it is,” Taemin said, sensing a threat. “After all, Naeun is my girlfriend. I have the right to know what she’s doing with another guy.”

            Girlfriend? Dear lord.

            “Naeun’s business is her business. You have no right to interfere.” Myungsoo made a move to leave and I followed him.

            “Wait,” Taemin said. His tone shifted to something evil. “I hear coach wants you back on the soccer team.”

            Myungsoo turned around. “Yeah. So?”

            “So you better not screw up the team. We all know how badly you’d hurt your ankle way back when,” Taemin replied.

            My original image of Taemin had been a fluffy, super duper nice, straight-A student who wouldn’t even harm a fly.

            But right now, as he was practically degrading Myungsoo’s confidence of going back on the team, I couldn’t help but despise him. It’d been hard enough for Myungsoo to muscle up the courage to get back on the team, much less play soccer again, but to have someone be so negative and mocking about it made me feel the need to protect him. Taemin, in my eyes, was quickly degrading to something sinister.

            Taemin however, fails to play the tough-guy card well. In a cold, icy voice, Myungsoo said, “The only person who should be careful about screwing up the team, is you.”

            I could tell that Myungsoo was having enough of this bull with Taemin and quickly made a move to leave. I, again, followed him.

            “Naeun,” Taemin said. I stopped. Myungsoo stopped also. “Stay with me a little bit, will you?”

            I didn’t want to leave Myungsoo. Especially not after what Taemin said to him. But it seemed like he let me as he mouthed, “I’ll see you later” and then quickly walked away. I was left alone with Taemin.

            “Naeun.” The way he said my name bothered me. “Can we talk?”

            “Sure,” I said, because that was always my answer when it came to him, “what do you want to talk about?”

            “Well we haven’t talked in a long time.”

            “I talked to you just yesterday,” I said, “at the student council meeting about the preparations for Prom.” It was around March now, with Prom making its appearance in May.

            “I mean like, a deep, heartfelt talk,” Taemin stated.

            We’ve never even had one of those you idiot.

But I hid my temper as I said, “Okay well I’m here now. What do you want to talk about?”

            The warning bell rang in the distance.

            “I’ll walk you to class,” Taemin offered. Then he asked me how I was doing in my studies and whatnot.

            Taemin also sat with me at lunch. People stared, people talked, and I wasn’t sure how I felt about it. Because I knew that this was what I’d always wanted, but I also knew that I wasn’t feeling as happy as I should be.

            I looked across the cafeteria to Myungsoo’s table. He was eating the chicken sandwich that my mother had made for him this morning. I noticed that he even looked handsome when he was just simply eating.

            Myungsoo met eyes with me and my eyes widened, realizing that I’d been caught. But all he did was nod over at something behind me.

            Or someone.

            Taemin had been telling me a story the entire time I’d been staring at Myungsoo. Something about him meeting Hyunbin at the airport or something.

            “Isn’t that funny, Naeun?” Taemin asked me.

            “O-Oh.” I forced a nod and a smile. “Sure."

 

 

            “Well you look frustrated.”

            I got up from the couch and showed Myungsoo my phone. He took a seat beside me and looked at it. Then he smirked.

            “Taemin has been texting me non-stop,” I said through my clenched teeth. “And I cannot even begin to tell you how annoyed I am.”

            Myungsoo laughed, turning on the TV. “See what I mean when I told you that you had horrible taste in men?”

            “It’s not funny,” I snapped. “He is literally annoying the outta me.” My phone beeped again. “UGGGHHHH!”

            “Just leave him,” Myungsoo said.

            “It’s not that easy,” I replied. “Do you see how he is? I never even agreed to him that we’re dating and he just automatically assumes so.”

            “Maybe you’re just being too nice.”

            I sighed. “I think so too. It’s just that I don’t really want to hurt him.”

            “Why?”

            “Because,” I said, “he’s like the king of the school. It’d hurt his pride, with me being a sophomore and everything.”

            Myungsoo considered this. “You know,” he said, “he had you in the palm of his hand and he screws up. Yeah this is why I hate him.”

            “I thought you hated him because he’s soccer captain and you’re not,” I said.

            “Yeah. That too.”

            “You seem to have pretty good judgment,” I commented. “I always thought that you calling Taemin ‘Mr. Goody-two-shoes’ was a complete joke but it seems very plausible at the moment. In addition to your hatred for him.”

            Myungsoo smirked. “Told you.”

            I bit my lip and hesitated before asking, “What is…what is your judgment about me?”

            “Judgment?”

            “Yeah,” I said. “What did you think of me when you first met me? A total huh.” I thought back to the day we bumped into each other that one fateful morning.

            Myungsoo shook his head, which surprised me. “No,” he said. “Not at all.”

            “But that’s impossible,” I said. “Don’t you remember that morning I bumped into you and made you late for class? You’d even cussed at me.”      

            Myungsoo laughed that melodious laughter of his. “You think that’s the first time I met you?”

            I grew puzzled. “When else would it be?”

            “You probably don’t remember,” Myungsoo said, “but you and I had actually bumped into each other in your freshman year.”

            My eyes widened. “No way. I don’t believe you.”

            “I was at soccer practice.”

            “Oh my god.”

            “And coach let me off on break so I went to the water fountain. You bumped into me while coming out of dance.” He eyes looked straight into mine as he said, “I thought you were pretty. Really pretty.”

            I blinked, not expecting that at all. “Pretty?” I asked. “Really?”

            “Yeah,” Myungsoo said. “Then I saw you making your speech for student council. You seemed perfect, to me.” And for the first time Kim Myungsoo was undeniably flustered.

            He’d called me perfect before. But I hadn’t known the actual back story until now. Knowing that he thought I was pretty, that I was perfect in his eyes, made me the happiest girl in the world.

            Myungsoo shifted in his seat next to me uncomfortably as he flipped through the TV channels. I stared up at that face of his, that handsome, handsome face of his. Then, without thinking, I kissed his cheek.

            About 0.2 seconds after, I realized what I’d done. My cheeks flushed a bright red, my eyes widened, and I hurriedly backed away from him.

            “I-I’m sorry,” I said.

            Myungsoo cleared his throat and said, “It’s fine.”

            He must’ve noticed that I was completely and utterly flustered because I was seriously panicking about why I’d done such a thing.

            “Naeun.”

            I didn’t respond.

            “Yah.”

            “…”

            “Son Napoop.”

            “What?”

            Myungsoo scooted closer to me. His body hovered over mine. He studied my face for a long while, and I saw a sort of mischievous sparkle in his eyes, before leaning closer to my ear and whispering, “You can do that to me anytime you want.”

            Then, with a charming wink, he hopped off the couch and went upstairs.

            I stayed there in my position, frozen. His hot breath lingered on my ear, the feel of his soft skin still on my lips.

            ‘You can do that to me anytime you want.’

            His words echoed throughout my mind for the entire night.

 

 

A/N: Hey guys I know long time no update. To be honest I was feeling pretty sad about this ship because I was getting some hate on it but once I start a story I must finish it. Not to mention that Myungeun is my number one otp. And I actually love this storyline a lot so I'll keep writing it :') Thanks for the support everyone!